• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

July

Smash Apprentice
@Raz: There has been a lot of great advice here, and hopefully it's an enforcement that 1) you are not alone and 2) a lot of people care about you and want to help.

My personal advice is that as hard as it is, don't try and force something to happen. The relationships I've been in which have been fun and healthy have been with people I met through chance and clicked with. It's good to put yourself out there, have confidence in yourself and pursue people who you really think you could have a connection with. My most important advice is not to force a relationship, and especially not force a connection with someone out of loneliness or want of a relationship because it's not worth it. I spent all of high school in a relationship that I formed because I was lonely and then worked tremendously hard to find a connection there, trying to validate the existence of the relationship, when there was nothing there. When you find someone who there is connection with it'll be worth the wait.

July

Smash Apprentice
That's impressive Acrostic!

Also, I'm currently in a class called "From Apocalypse to Anime: Religion and the Imagination of the Otherworldly". First half of the class is Judeo-Christian apocalypse narratives, second half is anime and other modern films (such as Dogma) which depict apocalyptic themes or interpretations of heavenly ascent/descent. The syllabus of the second half of the class isn't set yet so if anyone knows of any anime with such themes please let me know :)

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Neon Genesis Evangelion hits both categories on superficial levels. I mean, there are monsters called apostles. Full Metal Alchemist and Baccano also have some potential religious undertone to it, again blatantly. Apocalyptic themes are easy. Apocalyptic themes with religious undertones is slightly harder. Again on a blatant surface level, Claymore is an apocalyptic situation and has a church like state operating within the anime itself.

July

Smash Apprentice
Neon Genesis Evangelion hits both categories on superficial levels. I mean, there are monsters called apostles. Full Metal Alchemist and Baccano also have some potential religious undertone to it, again blatantly. Apocalyptic themes are easy. Apocalyptic themes with religious undertones is slightly harder. Again on a blatant surface level, Claymore is an apocalyptic situation and has a church like state operating within the anime itself. As for animes focusing on "heavenly" ascent/descent... LMGTFY:
Thank you so much, I'll definitely check those out! "Neon Genesis Evangelion" sounds exactly like what my professor is looking for.

Lmao. Don't really know off the top of my head. I don't know how you have it in you to attend a class on Christianity and anime. It just seems wrong on so many levels, I can't even begin to explain how it.
Lol yeah I tried to look up pretty much the exact same thing with no good results, so I figured since a lot of people here watch anime I'd see if anyone had ideas off the top of their head.

The class itself I'm taking for rather superficial reasons. The class is only offered to my dorm so I'm taking it with two of my best friends, it's taught our dorm parent who loves me and who I really want to get a grad school recommendation from, and it's technically an independent study so let us create the grading scale (so no tests, our entire grade is class discussion and one presentation). The actual content of the class is interesting so far, we read everything for it's historical and literary significance as well as religious implications, I'm really interested in seeing how the shift into modern representations will go and whether the semester can flow smoothly or not.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Neon Genesis and Baccano are going to be your classier picks out of the four series that I mentioned. Not sure what other people would recommend, but if you have time, try both out and see what you like.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
If you want an anime about heaven the closest you'll get is Haibane Renmei.

Neon Genesis is what I'd say to go for if we're talking post apocalyptic. Akira is a GREAT movie that classifies iirc. Blue Submarine No. 6 is a personal interest of mine. No. 6 (just No. 6) is post-apocalyptic. You'll probably discuss Ergo Proxy because it's one of the most well known anime with a post-apocalyptic theme.

Other anime with some religious themes are Colorless (movie, really enjoyed this one for the most part but not really that much heaven related), Kamisama Kazoku (never seen it but heard about it, might wanna try it), On Your Mark (ditto).

Cheers.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
July I hope they make you watch one piece! :D

Prolly wouldn't happen tho cuz religion
:phone:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm teaches DGames again

now you teach me

I haaaaaaate anime

with a passion

I watched Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood for 4 episodes and I had to stop because of all the damn goofy anime stuff. I forced myself to watch some of Trigun and hated it. It was nearly unbearable and finally had to tell my girlfriend I couldn't watch it anymore. I watched Evangelion or whatever it is called from start to finish and found it to be intriguing at first and then laughably dumb afterwards.

My lady likes anime. So far the only anime I have liked was Death Note. That's it, bar none.

What anime would you suggest that doesn't have

A) a bunch of over the top crap like moms being giant robots with breasts and psychic abilities on roller skates

B) a bunch of cutesy anime stuff designed to be over the top because they can't naturally convey emotion properly like this:

C) stupid, stupid story lines made by an 8 year old boy

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Overswarm, I believe D-Gray man or whatever it's called might be something for you. I don't actually watch Anime but Dark Horse once described it as vastly different to the other anime stuff and doesn't have a lot to do with it.

I can relate to your resentment though!

:059:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Lol, I share a similar distaste for anime as a genre. Back in the day, there were only 2 animes I watched as a kid (because Toonami). DragonBallZ (because who the hell didn't?) and Gundam Wing. I rewatched Gundam Wing a few years back to see how it held up. It was still fun to watch, but nostalgia probably played it's part in that. Still though, giant robots that aren't like... magical, or aliens, or some kind of bullcrap. Giant robots! It's still pretty bad though :p

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect

now you teach me

I haaaaaaate anime

with a passion

I watched Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood for 4 episodes and I had to stop because of all the damn goofy anime stuff. I forced myself to watch some of Trigun and hated it. It was nearly unbearable and finally had to tell my girlfriend I couldn't watch it anymore. I watched Evangelion or whatever it is called from start to finish and found it to be intriguing at first and then laughably dumb afterwards.

My lady likes anime. So far the only anime I have liked was Death Note. That's it, bar none.

A) a bunch of over the top crap like moms being giant robots with breasts and psychic abilities on roller skates

B) a bunch of cutesy anime stuff designed to be over the top because they can't naturally convey emotion properly like this:

Overswarm, I believe D-Gray man or whatever it's called might be something for you. I don't actually watch Anime but Dark Horse once described it as vastly different to the other anime stuff and doesn't have a lot to do with it.
haha no

OS, you should watch Cowboy Bebop.

yes

Mushishi, but its very relaxed. Episodic anime with philosophical themes.
Mononoke if you can handle the mind****, mystery detective.
Personally enjoyed Sakamichi no Apollon, but it's a drama-ish anime.
One Outs would fit RIGHT up your alley. The writer also wrote Liar Game jfyi.
Bartender is a good one. It's about a bar where a guest comes and talks about his problems, then mr Bartender solves them. It's relaxing and also raises some good questions. First ep or two were a bit confusing imo, though. Also, the only anime I've seen that actually focuses on the audience.
Comedy is a 10 minute OVA that's actually really interesting, you might like it.

Eh. That's all off the top of my head.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer

now you teach me

I haaaaaaate anime

with a passion

watch monster. i have the same dislike for anime but loved it. everyone who ive recommended it to also liked it even if they had that attitude. there are also no pointy noses

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
One Outs remains one of the only Anime series that I've watched through in like two sittings. But to be honest it gets really really stale in it's formula.

Also for Raz now that I'm not at work I have to tell you, I know it has probably been voiced before and it's been voiced a lot but get over your fear of rejection. Here's the thing a lot of the times even being rejected romantically by a girl can still lead to friendship, and that friendship can lead to meeting new people and new girls.

The reason I have a lot of success is because I talk to everyone, anyone to me is interesting and by learning about them I can learn more about why I like them. I've been told by a lot of people that when they think of things like natural gifts the first thing to come to mind about me is the fact that everyone who knows me in real life genuinely wants to be around me. It's not like some big secret, I'm not doing anything amazing, I'm just making sure I'm in a lot of social situations and conveying myself the way I want to be perceived. I talk a lot, but more importantly when asking about someone, their interests, their hobbies, how their day is I'm genuinely interested. Couple that with the fact that I don't fear rejection because my attitude again in most situations is "Why would the reject me, I'm awesome" helps me to achieve a lot of success not only in relationships and with women but also with people in general. I've landed my internship interview through that attitude and I've met a lot of new people this year that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm telling you man, it's not about having a specific goal in mind, don't become so entrenched in the attitude "I need a relationship" become entrenched in the attitude of "Life is about self-improvement and the more happy I am with life the more opportunities I will have that develop around me and that I can create myself"

When me and Hailey broke up I thought after almost five years I would be really down, and I was.. for a couple of days. Then I reevaluated things in my life that I weren't happy about. Our relationship didn't just suddenly end I realized.. sure it had seemed sudden but there were a lot of warning signs. I realized that and saw that I was just putting my relationship on a pedestal. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" sorta thing.. I learned a lot and had a lot of amazing times I wouldn't change. But now was a new chapter in life, I became obsessed with becoming physically fit, still am, I really enjoy working out I've went from 224 pounds to I believe I'm currently as of last week at 192. I was never fat, I just felt like I wasn't as fit as I was before Hailey, I had become complacent and I looked to change that.

I felt happier about it, I felt great about myself and as such I began to radiate that sort of feeling to others.

WIth Hailey a lot of the jokes we had were judgmental and childish about others.. I wasn't comfortable with it but I fell in a rut about it. When we broke up a lot of the people who I had made fun of especially in the community had come out and just told me either A. **** you and what you said about me or more surprisingly and a majority of them B. showed sympathy and told me basically.. if you need me I'm here bro!

I realized something with that as well, like I said before EVERYONE YOU MEET has a story, they are interesting there is something about them that makes them unique and legitimately cool to talk to. And with that I managed to take a new stance with how I dealt with people, no longer did I judge things that came to me, instead I was legitimately interested in what they said and because of that I met a lot more people and came to be involved in many more social situations.

This wasn't supposed to be about me though it may seem it, it's more a laundry list of what I learned being in a relationship that was presumably sort of toxic and the lessons I learned to become not only comfortable finding relationships and such but become more comfortable in general about how my life's direction was heading.

You can do it man, you've got a good support network and a lot of good advice but at the end it's really up to you to just go out there and do what makes you happy and do what makes you the person you want to be at the end of the day, don't fear rejection and look at every bit of progress as a moment to celebrate but never become complacent.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
You might also like Code Geass OS, but I don't know if you would consider it over the top.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

Kaiji or Akagi.

They're both about gambling. Akagi's about a genius kid who kicks everyone's *** at mahjong. Kaiji is more relatable and interesting from a human perspective. It's about a loser who's in debt and resorts to gambling, and the **** he has to go through and human trust etc.
Can't believe Xonar didn't mention these :p

They also have a hilariously awesome art style.

You might also like Code Geass OS, but I don't know if you would consider it over the top.
It's like the definition of over the top.

There are just some anime that, if you watch them, you have to let go of some preconceived notions and just go with the craziness.

Also yeah, I hear Monster is amazing, and it's on my to-watch list. It's also like 74 episodes long though, whereas Kaiji is two 26-episode seasons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiji_(manga)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Ofc I didn't mention Kaiji and Akagi when they both, especially Kaiji, make use of overplayed anime tropes to communicate emotions. They're good but not as good a suggestion as, say, Cowboy Bebop or One Outs.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wait, like what?

When I'm thinking of stuff OS apparently doesn't like, "generic anime reaction images" come to mind and Kaiji really doesn't have any of those.

edit: There's also Black Lagoon.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Code Geass definitely has a lot of anime tropes that could be considered annoying.
Yeah, that's the reason I didn't list it.

Btw Ghost in the shell is all up to preference imo. Darker than Black is great all through S1, and the OVA's you can stop there after since all it does is ruin the show for ya in S2 but after the OVA's it's not like you need to go any further anyways. Asdioh jump in would ya?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What, did you even see Kaiji vs Ichijo?
I'm not really sure what you mean. Even so, that's in season 2 so he'll have decided if he likes it before then.

Berserk: older (90s) anime, bloody violent stuff with an incomplete story because it's based off the ongoing manga.
Black Lagoon: shoot-em-up, I thought it was pretty fun. Probably a little ridiculous at times.
Baccano!: takes place in America in the 1930s, lots of focus on gangster stuff but with a supernatural element. It's a bit crazy, but only 16 episodes.
Cowboy Bebop: wouldn't even think to mention it because it's like, a classic that I assume everyone knows about. Space cowboys/bounty hunters, doing stuff. Fun watch, good music.
Ergo Proxy: 2deep4me, but I still enjoyed it a lot.
Serial Experiments Lain: http://i.imgur.com/BbYhk.jpg 2deep4me
Ghost in the Shell: this is a classic, you'd probably enjoy this one. Seems to fit your restrictions quite well.
Mononoke: watch it for the art style.
Samurai Champloo: it's comparable to Cowboy Bebop, but with samurai. Enjoyable.
Yu Yu Hakusho: :bee:

http://images.wikia.com/animu-mango/images/1/12/1284751708378.jpg big list o' stuff with great descriptions of what to expect/who would like it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Berserk anime sucks esp compared to manga source.
Black Lagoon is not a shoot em up, lol. It's centered around arms traders.
Ergo Proxy was a bit pretentious. Not worth the watch imo, but some people love it.
Watching Mononoke for the art style is a waste :/
Samurai Champloo is not a recommend with the female lead character.

and **** that chart.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Beserk is not as gory as GANTZ, but it still holds a grisly theme anyway. Love it, Love it, Love it.

Edit--

Wow, xonar. You're horrible. :c

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I've heard trigun gets loads better after the first couple of episodes.

I can relate to your resentment though!

:059:
I actually wouldn't recommend D.Gray-Man to OS, as it's pretty heavy on action. Though speaking of that whole Christian thing, D.Gray-Man is loaded with that (The main antagonists are called the Noah Family, The mainest antagonist caused the great flood,
Level 4 Akuma look like angels
, the list goes on)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Trigun is really good, though it does the "funny reaction face" thing throughout most of the series. A lot of anime do that, so if it's that big of a turnoff then you'll have to be quite picky. Also Wolfwood's the best character, and he's not introduced for a while :O

Also, watching a few mainstream anime and saying you hate it is sort of akin to playing Call of Doody and Angry Birds and saying you hate video games. There's something for everyone, there are a ton of different styles. I just wish OS had said if he was looking for something like action, mystery, etc etc

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I guess I'll add Bokurano to that list. Another case of manga over anime but w/e.

Also Kevim I used to think you were an ***. Now, though, you're still an *** but you're like a bro so you're like whatever man.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
@July: Angel's Egg. One hour surreal anime movie about a girl wondering around a post-apocalyptic Earth with an egg. Guy carrying a cross comes across here and stars following her around. Very heavy on Christain symolism and the theme of being born again. Very low on dialogue. Castlevania like art style (pale characters, white hair, dark enviorments).

@Marshy: I never knew that. I mean, I understand the obvious things like the Revelations quote in episode 1 ,and the fact that he's referred as the anti-christ by some. Never really thought about it too much though, and I deffinitly never thought about Tenma having Jesus like qualities.

@JTB: Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. Code Geass is heavy on anime tropes. Characters have stupid hair. The women have DDD boobs and wear skimpy outfits, and it's actually STANDARD in some cases for them to wear the outfits (like the school uniform miniskits). It's about giant robots. Emotions are exgerarated. It's not OS's cup of tea.

B) a bunch of cutesy anime stuff designed to be over the top because they can't naturally convey emotion properly like this
Marshy literally said the same exact thing to me when talking about why he generally dislikes anime. You and him should get together and have lunch together.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
OS watch angel beats.

Can we stop talking about anime? Xonar is bothering me.

Top Bottom