• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Watching Dyrus stream and my favorite moment is he gets feared forward from Nocturne and then flings him into the tower to watch him die. The conversation goes:

Noct- "Wow wtf luckiest fear ever omg"

Dyrus- "yolo"

That was pretty hilarious to me idk why

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
That's the first time I've ever even heard of shawarma. It is the only reason I tried shawarma.

No one can tell me Iron Man never did me a solid.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Shawarma is so good. I need to go find a shawarma place and eat some right now dammit.

:phone:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Hemingway is great. Read For whom the Bells toll, Fiesta: The Sun also Rises or Men without Women.

:059:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Oh really? How so?
Most of his stuff is very different from the catcher in the rye, such as his curt sentences. I don't recall him doing anything akin to the "First-person" angst of catcher in the rye. I've also always felt like there's a very strong "american" feel to his works, which you might not like.

But I'm not an expert on hemmingway so don't take my word as god.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Catcher in the Rye isn't the only book I've ever read or have been interested in. I'm really looking for a writer who agrees with my world view, but that seems to be impossible. So for now, I just wanna broaden my horizons, and Hemingway seems like an interesting man. That's all.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
How are you gonna find a book that agrees with your "world view" if you can't answer that question though?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I can. I'm bothered to answer it if you ask about my view regarding X or Y, I'm not gonna bother typing it all out when it's a question pertaining to a near infinite amount of things. If you know me you can probably get a good idea of my world view.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Guys why does EVERYTHING having to do with hormones have to sound the same?

With no visual grounding to anchor certain specific things it's hard to keep it all straight in my head.

Neuroendocrine hormones, paracrine communication, Neurotransmitters, it's all so similar. ;_;

Also I just learned the origin of the word cretin!

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Guys why does EVERYTHING having to do with hormones have to sound the same?

With no visual grounding to anchor certain specific things it's hard to keep it all straight in my head.

Neuroendocrine hormones, paracrine communication, Neurotransmitters, it's all so similar. ;_;

Also I just learned the origin of the word cretin!
Well... contextually speaking I mostly associate neurotransmitters with the central/peripheral nervous system which has a big focus on the brain in most cases. And if this is a psychology course, then you're most likely working with dopamine, serotonin, acetylcholine, ect which are linked to prominent physiological symptoms such as schizophrenia/psychosis, depression, and adrenaline.

Paracrine communication reminds me of tissue/organ systems. Like when a baby is an embryo, basically all the cells are stem cells and one of the ways I believe that specific organ structures are developed in particular areas of the body are due to local signaling whether it is due to hormones or transmitters, or both i.e. something similar to paracrine communication. Also para itself is a common latin designation meaning "around, near."

Neuroendocrine to me is self explanatory. The nervous system and the endocrine system are two vastly different organ systems that each have their focus on particularly body parts and they also intersect in several ways since they are both involved in cell signaling. Although I'm not sure exactly where neuroendocrine cells exist in terms of all organ systems in the body, the main areas of focus are likely the hypothalamus and the pituitary gland.

Off-topic, they used to inject salt solutions into the hypothalamus of a goat's brain, causing them to immediately seek water regardless of how much water they drank immediately before hand. They also performed all sorts of crazy electrical experiments back in the 1900s when they were really making headway with neuroscience. If you have time, you might be interested in reading Blaming the Brain by Valenstein. It takes a strong anti-drug tone with regards to commercial drug use, however the historical discovery and development is factual.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fB...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I can. I'm bothered to answer it if you ask about my view regarding X or Y, I'm not gonna bother typing it all out when it's a question pertaining to a near infinite amount of things. If you know me you can probably get a good idea of my world view.
Taking what I know of you in conjunction with that post, I must conclude that your world's eye is blind.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Taking what I know of you in conjunction with that post, I must conclude that your world's eye is blind.
It's ok Xonar. I was in Ryker's book reading group and he wanted all of us to read Shades of Grey with him.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I don't think I could ever recommend someone else to read a classic novel with a straight face.

I mean sure, you might have some decent classics like Crime and Punishment, The Great Gatsby, The Invisible Man, 1984 and then some really bad, but it is so bad that it's good like Walden, anything written by Ayn Rand, and Kafka. But then these days you just have these great contemporary books that apply to niche and non-niche interest: Liar's Poker, A Beautiful Mind, What the Dog Saw, When Genius Failed, The Canon ect. are just examples of great reads you can find within mathematics, psychology, and economics. If you are looking for fiction, then definitely go for the classics. I'm not really a huge fan of contemporary fiction, but contemporary non-fiction has been significantly slimmed down from what used to be thick textbook autobiographicals to entertaining paperbacks that are written to have a fiction-like atmosphere when it comes to past events.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Ender's Game was written by Hemmingway right, because that was a fun read.
Wtf is that a joke?

Orson Scott Card wrote Ender's Game, Hemingway wrote stuff like The Old Man and The Sea.

Whaaaaaaaaaat... Like the content of ender's game is so far removed from anything Hemingway would've written about.

Also **** ayn rand she a stone cold *****

Turazrok

Smash Master
I mean idk if he's joking and I don't want poor lil xonar to get confused on the masterpiece that is ender's game man. No hate involved. Except for ayn rand.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I don't think I could ever recommend someone else to read a classic novel with a straight face.

I mean sure, you might have some decent classics like Crime and Punishment, The Great Gatsby, The Invisible Man, 1984 and then some really bad, but it is so bad that it's good like Walden, anything written by Ayn Rand, and Kafka. But then these days you just have these great contemporary books that apply to niche and non-niche interest: Liar's Poker, A Beautiful Mind, What the Dog Saw, When Genius Failed, The Canon ect. are just examples of great reads you can find within mathematics, psychology, and economics. If you are looking for fiction, then definitely go for the classics. I'm not really a huge fan of contemporary fiction, but contemporary non-fiction has been significantly slimmed down from what used to be thick textbook autobiographicals to entertaining paperbacks that are written to have a fiction-like atmosphere when it comes to past events.
I read Kafka, A Country Doctor, in German last semester. Boy, was that hard to follow.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Kafka is really hard to follow unless you're feeling perfectly natural with the german language.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Kafka is really hard to follow unless you're feeling perfectly natural with the german language.

I think it was more of "what in the world is -actually- happening?" Since we were talking about symbolism and junk. Then I watched the movie and it made less sense.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I haven't been tempted to this extent since the newbie thread when everyone thought I was serious about "cop and drop" being an actual role that I wanted to be implemented.

I wanted to troll Swiss so badly, but PrivateJokerBrown.

Top Bottom