• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
im working on valentine right now, but i still need to find 2 more since i want to use her as an anchor

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
There's a lot of one on one being played at the moment because everyone has to discover technology on their own. Right now I'm playing Parasoul, but I want to pick up Double.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Raziek hated it at first too, but he likes it now.

You will become one of us BSL.

One of us.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Don't worry Joey, this is the jingle:
I make a post, he calls it/me bad, I call him whatever and he avoids further confrontation.

But in reality, he loves me.

If only I can figure out what triggered this recent change of attitude towards me.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
It was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was a shameless design meant to cater to empty-headed nerds that masturbate openly to the familiar. It is as shallow and obvious as Mountain Dew's HALO THREE GAMER FUEL.

It is trash.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
It was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was a shameless design meant to cater to empty-headed nerds that masturbate openly to the familiar. It is as shallow and obvious as Mountain Dew's HALO THREE GAMER FUEL.

It is trash.
I . . . agree completely with this! The thing about the movie is that I feel it was made by a bunch of older people who don't know anything about video game culture trying to appeal to a younger "gamer" crowd. As a result all of the references to video games are shallow, generic, and unfunny. Plus, in general the movie just wasn't very funny.

now, let me shortly contrast it to this clip.

Say what you want about family guy, but this is a video game reference/joke done right. After watching this, I feel like the people who wrote this joke actually PLAYED Street Fighter, while the people who wrote the Scott Pilgrim movie were just making jokes that they thought people who played video games will get.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Loooooooool man. I still have my Super Nintendo and SF II.

And yeah Swords, I totally agree with that.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I d/led the original SFII on my wii from virtual console and people are like "why didn't you download the later ones?" and I just go >:[

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I . . . agree completely with this! The thing about the movie is that I feel it was made by a bunch of older people who don't know anything about video game culture trying to appeal to a younger "gamer" crowd. As a result all of the references to video games are shallow, generic, and unfunny. Plus, in general the movie just wasn't very funny.

now, let me shortly contrast it to this clip.

Say what you want about family guy, but this is a video game reference/joke done right. After watching this, I feel like the people who wrote this joke actually PLAYED Street Fighter, while the people who wrote the Scott Pilgrim movie were just making jokes that they thought people who played video games will get.

There's too much here to address to even begin to defend this movie properly given how lazy I am, but I will say that I think it is a mistake to frame Scott Pilgrim as if it is strictly for "gamers." It's ultimately about youth and growing up and evolving personal relationships, told through a simple "video game" story structure (PC conquers multiple levels to save The Princess), with accompanying graphics. Also, plenty of RAWK. Although I will admit that this is something that the books do a much better job with than the movie does. They also have "better" (more obvious/specific) video game references.

If you went in expecting it to be a Street Fighter parody, then you weren't really who that movie was trying to reach. And 90-minutes of that Family Guy clip would make me walk out of the theater.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
@Circus: Okay, the point that it's also a movie about youth/growing up is fair enough. However, I hold my ground that the movie DID try to make video games (and youth pop culture in general) a big part of the movie, and in it's effort failed due to how shallow the effort was. Also, again, I simply didn't find the movie funny or entertaining, and thus it failed its purpose as a movie. Maybe some were entertained by it (and I'll be lying if I said that I didn't laugh at SOME of the jokes), so it's a matter pf perspectives, but you won't find me recommending it.

I was just using the family guy clip to show what I think I video game joke done right is. A movie of that would be bad, yes, but I wasn't saying that. I'm saying that I can appreciate that clip.. Like, after watching that clip I KNOW that the people who wrote it probably grew up playing SF, and other video games, and didn't just research it in an attempt to make a "video game joke."

"Sir, our research indicates that 93% of the "gamers" that we are marketing our movie towards are familiar with the game series "The Legend of Zelda." It is under my believe sir that if we make reference to this game series, through either a character referencing it or by putting Zelda music in, they will be able to identify with it."

"Hey guys! I know! When one character hits another in a fight scene, lets have an effect where 8-bit "points" appear in thin air, because it's vaguly similiar to something one might see in a "Beat-em-up." It's funny because it's something that you'll see in a video game but instead it's in real life in the movie! It's funny because it's a reference! Get it? Get it?"

MAn, I never realized how much I disliked this movie until now. :ohwell:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
"Sir, our research indicates that 93% of the "gamers" that we are marketing our movie towards are familiar with the game series "The Legend of Zelda." It is under my believe sir that if we make reference to this game series, through either a character referencing it or by putting Zelda music in, they will be able to identify with it."

"Hey guys! I know! When one character hits another in a fight scene, lets have an effect where 8-bit "points" appear in thin air, because it's vaguly similiar to something one might see in a "Beat-em-up." It's funny because it's something that you'll see in a video game but instead it's in real life in the movie! It's funny because it's a reference! Get it? Get it?"
Where did you find this conversation, on record somewhere? With this new insight I understand now that the people behind the movie really are just shills, engineering my loves into a soulless experience purely intended to Make Me Give Them Money.

I'm never going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt again. I've been had D:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I dunno. I'm gonna get it sometime. But I'm focused on Zelda Skyward Sword and School rite now. lol

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I play it on and off. Depends on which mods are out and if any catch my interest.

Top Bottom