• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Or rather, I would think so. Because girls always do that. A girl stating that she is attractive to another guy wouldn't make it awkward for you both, is what I mean.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Bardull your thoughts are interesting but it's contradictory to the whole "friend zone" Phenomenon. If a girl is keeping you "as a friend" then they're probably not interested in you sexually, cus to my understanding a guy who's simply "friendly" isn't appealing.
Well, from my experiences, the friend zone doesn't exist. Either they like you or they don't and vice versa. HOWEVER, you'll hear about people who "get themselves out of the friend zone and into the relationship zone" like it's some kind of magical happening based on love...or something else. In my opinion, it's just variable change; physical or genetic attributes become more outwardly expressed over the lifetime of the organism, and a girl may or may not find that change to be more attractive or less attractive when they see said changes.

Take me for instance. When I was 18 years of age, I wasn't expressing my phenotype/genotype in its entirety. However, 3 years later, my physique took a massive change for the insane. Check this out:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc1/6215_1219120516314_1177922893_658083_5631123_n.jpg

I'm the dude on the right. LOL. And I turned into this sexy metrosexual son of a *****:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/169058_1526983308655_1656856074_1093257_5554640_n.jpg

At which point, I began to captivate more interest from girls (and even a handful of guys LMAO) and moved myself "out of the friend zone."

Also, if this says anything, I began to find myself less interested in girls I used to be really interested in. Funny how that works, huh?

Anywho, I've had to deal with all sorts of spiders. One girl who I really loved (or at least I think I did; I found myself incredibly emotionally attached to her, like it was the most intense thing ever) kept friendships solely because she wanted to be wanted, not because it was within her interest to maintain a true friendship. Those are the bad ones you have to watch out for. They'll rarely give you the time of day and be "nice" to you, but deep down they know you like them and the friendship becomes really one-sided. They'll use guys as emotional sponges, or mess with them, or do other things that aren't ok, even be mean to them because they feel they can get away with it. It's really rare that you come across a girl who isn't interested in doing that. It's almost completely natural to them. :/

I would almost go as far to say that, in Zen's case, the girl is skeptical that Zen isn't interested anymore, and so now her change in character (bringing up a guy she is interested in when she has always told Zen that she isn't interested in any other guys) may have more to do with the fact that Zen has expressed disinterest in the girl in recent events. She is now trying to test him to see if that's true or not by bringing up some "new guy" that she's "interested in." If Zen reacted in a manner of indifference or uncaring towards her interest in another guy, she probably would have liked Zen a lot more than if he reacted to it negatively (a negative reaction implies that Zen is jealous, and thus he is still very much interested in the girl, and hence still "friend zoned.")

Which brings on my next point: girls and guys are constantly trying to get the upper hand in a relationship by reading their partner. It's pretty much just like mafia.

Lol, bring on the massive girl hate, haha. It's not like girls are solely to blame for doing this though, that's just how humans operate. They want what they can't have, and they don't want the already wanting, at least in our age group. Guys do this too, even me, except I like to think that I'm much more responsible than to keep a girl around if she likes me more than I like her. I distance myself from others for that very reason.

It's a pretty harsh world out there, to be frank. It's very rare going into adulthood that you'll find genuine friendship between men and woman in the absence of sexual attraction. It just doesn't happen...ever. Every girl I've ever been interested in is more into playing relationship games and testing me (to which I've busted them for doing it and chopped their intestines in half emotionally) instead of actually enjoying me for who I am as a person. In reality, it's not about what kind of person you are, it's about whether or not they like you. Even the most abrasive or obnoxious of the bunch still manage to find themselves mates, even if those traits aren't any bit desirable.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Whoops, I thought phenotype was the physical expression of genes (i.e., physical make up), in which case phenotype is more appropriately expressed as the body ages and develops.

Well, that's what I meant, anyway.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
@ Bardull: Phenotype isn't expressed. It's the macroscopic result of gene expression.
A phenotype (from Greek phainein, 'to show' + typos, 'type') is the composite of an organism's observable characteristics or traits: such as its morphology, development, biochemical or physiological properties, phenology, behavior, and products of behavior (such as a bird's nest). Phenotypes result from the expression of an organism's genes as well as the influence of environmental factors and the interactions between the two.
Wat? 10 Wats.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I think Genotype is the one that isn't visibly seen, but it's expressed through means outside of one's physical appearance (i.e., one's actions), right?

Swiss

Smash Lord
Yeah see this is what I think the problem is is our definitions. I've told her many times she's hot/beautiful/kawaii/cute and she always been fine with that. I think 'attracted' to her matches with overswarms and Bardull's definitions in a way that it means I'm tryna get at her. But yeah that's not the case, not that I wouldn't if that was ever acceptable. Like those dudes in the video said, of course I would if she did as well and was single. But at as it is now not at all.

This is true. But yeah I thought that was just obvious.

This is pretty much the convo:
Meanwhile at Strabucks...

Le derpina: Why do you like Japanese so much?
Le derp: What do you mean?
Derpina: You take the class, like Japanese girls
Derp: I'm not that into Japanese girls though
Derpina: Really why??
Derp: I dunno I'm just not that attracted to their physique
I like the Japanese language and anime is anime, you know
Derpina: wait but why don't you like Asains?
Derp: Oh I like Asians, I'm just not that attracted to a lot of Japanese girls >_>
Derpina: So if there was a really cute Japanese girl you wouldn't like her because she is Japanese?
Derp: No, it doesn't have to do with their race at all. If a girl is cute of course I'd think she is cute. I wouldn't just dislike her because she is Japanese.
Derpina: ah kk. Did you think I was Japanese when you first saw me?
Derp: Nah I could tell you weren't.
Derpina: how did you know??
Derp: I think I knew you were Korean probably because of your bunny phone, and probably because I found you attractive.
Derpina: *blank stare into derps soul*
Derp: *drinks coffee*
Derp: wut? Don't look at me like that yo.
Derpina: you're being weird
Derp: how?
Derpina: Attractive. Can you say that to friends? Like what do you mean?
Derp: Like I'm attractive :cool:. You're attractive.
Derpina: But can you say it to friends, like would you say that to your guy friend like attracted friends?
Derp: mmmm prolly not like that
Derpina: So you're attracted to me?
Derp: I was talking bout when I first met you. I told you that before.
Derpina: oh haha ok why did it stop?
Derp: *Points at ring on finger*
Derpina: huh but when did it stop?
Derp: When you told me you had a bf?
Derpina: But I told you that the day you met me, you were attracted to me for like an hour when you only knew me for that long?
Derp: >_> yes? Well I mean I guess it was longer. I'm still pretty attracted to you. But it's not liked Id try to be anything more than friends. I guess that's why I always talk about other girls around you as a distraction from that.
Derpina: *double face palm* derp you're ruining our friendship
Derp: Really? I didn't think that was weird. And I thought that was obvious. like I said I would never act on that or do anything to mess that up. I just think you're attractive.
Derpina: It's just awkward now.
Derp: How a guy can't find a girl attractive and still be friends?
Derpina: It will just be different

…*cofee and lemon cake*

Depina: Do you think I'd have acted how I have if I knew?
Derp: What do you mean?
Derpina: You know like be all touchy with you
Derp: Well dude I accepted that we would only be friends a long while ago. Like I said our friendship is more valuable to me in anything.

Derp: So we're still gonna be the same right?
Derpina: yea it's just will probably be awkward for a couple of weeks

*is awkward*

@Ran: alright, that's probably cause I haven't been on.
Oh, from that convo she wants attention.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Zen you should stop letting this girl jerk you around

Be a MAN

:phone:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
YO CHICK ESTA LOCO, ZEN.

Also hai July :3
We should have a long talk sometime again.

Also, that convo was annoying to read. Damn girls.
Rule 1 of everything: something is a problem when you make it one. Too bad girls like to make many a thing into a problem. Too many things.

**** LESBOS IM GOING GAY

TAKE ME AWAY, JOEY

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
if youre stuck in the friend zone, tell the girl how big your penis is. that should get you out real quick.

(assuming it's not tiny, of course.)

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Genotype is simply the genetic make up that produces your phenotype. The way you used phenotype was fine.
Except phenotype isn't transcribed or translated. Which is what "expression" means when used in context with genotype.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
YO CHICK ESTA LOCO, ZEN.

Also hai July :3
We should have a long talk sometime again.

Also, that convo was annoying to read. Damn girls.
Rule 1 of everything: something is a problem when you make it one. Too bad girls like to make many a thing into a problem. Too many things.

**** LESBOS IM GOING GAY

TAKE ME AWAY, JOEY
Awww yeeeah Pop Daddy!

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Semantics tangent coming up. I apologize, I can't help it.

To clarify, genes get expressed to form proteins and other macromolecules through initial transcription of a DNA promoter, helicase, ligase, and what have you. Most of the time you have expression of housekeeping genes for instance. Now there are particular instances such as when an organism comes under stress that "expression" or in this case "transcription" increases tremendously. When this occurs, certain gene segments that code for certain proteins such as heat shock protein are expressed in overdrive in order to maintain vital proteins present in the body i.e. proteins present in the ribosome.

Proteins and especially enzymes, a subcategory of proteins do go through reactions such as catalysis to speed up reactions in the body. But such reactions aren't technically considered to be expression in the previous sense as explained with genes. I hold the view that proteins are already fundamentally finished products that can't conventionally increase in #, productivity, or create constituent molecules by their own genetic code. This is not to say that they can't do the previous three functions as a result of their own genetic code. Hence why I said this: "Phenotype isn't expressed. It's the macroscopic result of gene expression."

Bardull said:
Whoops, I thought phenotype was the physical expression of genes (i.e., physical make up), in which case phenotype is more appropriately expressed as the body ages and develops.
Phenotype is the result of gene expression. Phenotype is not expressed. Phenotype was the result of expression.

Axel

J|Zεη
Allegory I know what you're saying, but he wasn't writing a scientific essay. The way he used it was just fine in common speak.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
NO APOLOGIES ACCEPTED!

Basically what Axel said. I wasn't using that definition of "expression." The definition I used has nothing to do with transcribing or translating. Here's an example sentence: "artists express themselves by means of, well, art, duh," or "he expressed himself by means other than eating Cheetos."

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Not to be a pedant, but when discussing something exact is is generally a good idea not to use words that have both common use and scientific use with separate definitions for each. Jers Saiyn.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Not to be a pedant, but when discussing something exact is is generally a good idea not to use words that have both common use and scientific use with separate definitions for each. Jers Saiyn.
I'll be sure to put "THIS IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC ESSAY" at the top of my posts from now on. ;) But yeah, whoops on my part, I actually forgot that "expression" is used in that way in the context of phenotype/genotype/RNA/DNA/yada yada.

On related news, biological sciences are the worst subjects ever.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't understand what you meant, OS.
Let's imagine the word "shisked" exists. Let's assume it is used regularly by carpenters to describe the process of sawing wood in such a way to resemble hills and valleys or water; the whole up and down thing. "Shisked wood" would then be something sawed like this:

You might recognize that shape on the back of dressers or coat racks and the like.

Let's also assume that "shisked" is also colloquially known as "thrown quickly and forcefully".

So if you were talking to a carpenter, you wouldn't want to say "I'm pretty strong! I shisked a baseball bat at some dog in my yard and he exploded from the impact".

Animal cruelty aside, the carpenter is going to imagine you angrily eyeing the dog while making your baseball bat wavy.

TL;DR

When discussing a professional topic, don't use words that have one meaning for everyday use and another meaning within certain communities. This can be difficult, but all you can do is say "My bad, that was the colloquial usage".

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ohhh ok I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up. : D

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Let's imagine the word "shisked" exists. Let's assume it is used regularly by carpenters to describe the process of sawing wood in such a way to resemble hills and valleys or water; the whole up and down thing. "Shisked wood" would then be something sawed like this:

You might recognize that shape on the back of dressers or coat racks and the like.

Let's also assume that "shisked" is also colloquially known as "thrown quickly and forcefully".

So if you were talking to a carpenter, you wouldn't want to say "I'm pretty strong! I shisked a baseball bat at some dog in my yard and he exploded from the impact".

Animal cruelty aside, the carpenter is going to imagine you angrily eyeing the dog while making your baseball bat wavy.

TL;DR

When discussing a professional topic, don't use words that have one meaning for everyday use and another meaning within certain communities. This can be difficult, but all you can do is say "My bad, that was the colloquial usage".

you forgot the part where the dog realized how intense your shisking was and blew up out of amazement.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
no john s

Orboknown

Smash Hero
So my friend form another chat is like, perpetually depressed over how his friends don't get him/randomly get mad at him. He lives on another continent from me so i can't really do anything except offering words of advice.He hasn't gotten much happier so far.

Any suggestions on what I could do to get him back to his usual happy self?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
"You have two things you need to seriously consider in your situation before you allow it to emotionally effect you.

One, they might be right. It might not be that they don't "get" you, you might be doing things that are worthy of getting mad at and aren't looking at it from the right perspective. It could be you need to change your habits. Think hard about this one before considering number two.

Two, and the opposite of one, you might be surrounded by *******s. Get new friends."

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I didn't understand. He is deppressed because his friends don't get mad at him, or get him mad? That's it right?

I assume he needs to look at each friend, and see if that person is a true friend or not. We may have alot of friends, but only a few close ones.

I'm sure the closer he gets, the more of a chance that person can 'get mat at him/get him mad'.

It's like this. None of my friends, or even my girlfriend can get me mad. My FAMILY, can. Only they can.

Top Bottom