• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Bubblegum and Pazuzu are both listed as potential characters. :p Ideally, it would just be a crazy fun game that wasn't at all serious and moved quickly. But in order to do it, I'd like to have players who'd appreciate the references (For instance, as moderator, I'd be playing as the Neutral President. If you don't get that, you aren't cool and shouldn't be in my game.).

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Hey look, a social thread.

Even when good play is abundant, I tend to start the game looking for lynches and ending the game looking for clears. For the most part at least.
This is legit. There's fewer players in the end so looking for clears works. With everyone starting on equal ground, looking for lynches is the only real way to start.

Out of curiosity, did that earlier comment about large amounts of suckage refer in part to me? :p

In any case, my Mafia question would be have you found that big name players tend to not die in early phases? It's been my expirience that the town doesn't have the spine to lynch power players early on. They seem to have the mindset that they're such a big asset to the town that they can't lynch them lightly. Personally, I'd rather not deal with possible threats, but the only way to deal with power players I think may be scum is to be the Vigi.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
Ryker, I have noticed that in part. Kind of annoying when people say things like: "We shouldn't lynch Kevin D1, he'd be too much of a loss to town if he flips town."
And if he flips scum?

Just saying.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
VLA starting now. Will be back this night (for me), if not, I'll be back friday afternoon (for me) xD

its 14:52 at the time of posting this.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Good.

I'm just getting more than slightly annoyed at the way it's turning elsewhere and wanted to ask if it's a trend you've seen here.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Yeah, big namers don't tend to go down early, but there are a lot of reasons for it:
A) They don't make as many mistake early game
B) Its easier to get reads on them in end game compared to newer players
C) The loss of a really good town player hurts a lot more than a n00b town player (usually)
D) They aren't as obnoxious as new players and thus don't get people angry and lynch happy (no offense, Omni used to have the same problem)

And no, the suckage comment wasn't directly aimed at you.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Yeah, but thats because the cult recruited one of the mafia members, who then told the cult that he was mafia, and thus it would have happened no matter what.

And this is why mafia recruiting cults are stupid.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Which is why I used an adapted cult the last time I used it. No one is informed when they're recruited, but on death, they still flip 3rd party. The Cultist was the only one who could win on 3rd party though. Game was broken before I could see how it would end.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
hahhahaa thats such a terrible role.

why change their alignment without them even knowing? You might as well use a marker indy. (Marks someone every night and they win if all the remaining players are marked)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Same role, different name.

Actually, I liked the way it made the town go OMFG when they're claimed Cop flipped 3rd party.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think cases are useful when I feel no one is listening to me, which lately in mafia seems to happen more and more haha.

Ronike

Smash Ace
That's what it takes to get info out of you? If I had known that I'd never listen to you.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
In any case, my Mafia question would be have you found that big name players tend to not die in early phases? It's been my expirience that the town doesn't have the spine to lynch power players early on. They seem to have the mindset that they're such a big asset to the town that they can't lynch them lightly. Personally, I'd rather not deal with possible threats, but the only way to deal with power players I think may be scum is to be the Vigi.
I think I tend not to lynch power players because I've played with them so much that I use their reads to coincide with mine.

I mean the bigger players are going to be in the fray a lot more so they have more time to make mistakes, they have more time to contradict themselves.

No offense but a lot of SWF says we should lynch the better players early because people are afraid to lynch them!

Who's fault is that.

I led a lynch on Tom D1 in BWM and he was scum, and it took a **** near long time to get the wagon going and it only started to avoid a no lynch AND him being inactive for crazy long.

To many SWF town is content to fall into the comfort of their own metagame and never improve, I was talking with people about this earlier.

The reason I feel like people like, Tom and Marshy, Ronike, Frozenflame the players I view as really good (not that I think others aren't good those are just who come to mind) is that they constantly play on other sites, talk about the game, talk about their meta, what they can improve on, what others can improve on.

By continuing to talk about the game, study the game, study other games, put yourself in other peoples shoes, you then improve.

By merely saying "Kevin's style of play is stupid I don't know why everyone listens to him" you're only proving my point, you're ignoring how many times my playstyle changes via my alignment/my goal with my post/how I think the game should be played. If you can't do that for me, you're probably not doing it for other people, and if you're not doing that then you're just going to habitually complain without ever doing anything.

/mini rant about SWF mafia.

Ronike

Smash Ace
We actually haven't had one of our arguments in a while...
And hey, I was strong on the Tom wagon too...

But anyways, Kevin's post is good methinks, and all I want to add is two things:

Just because a playstyle looks shallow and unhelpful at first glance doesn't mean it is so. A great example is Marshy's play of saying pretty much just "X is the play". Its a great way to apply pressure and see who cracks.

My other point is that just because a playstyle could be helpful doesn't mean you should try to use it if you don't understand it. For a good stretch, everyone tried to use Marshy's playstyle, but a lot of people used it instead of cases rather than as the pressure tool it was supposed to be. It was annoying, and just terrible play that allowed a lot of mafia to coast by.

Basically, what I'm trying to say to all the new players is this: If you see a vet doing something that seems really unhelpful and other vets aren't calling them out on it, theres prolly something to it and you should look for the silver lining. If you can't find said silver lining, don't try to emulate that style of play.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Then there's something like Boondock Saints mafia where Kevin managed to get thoroughly under my skin. I did not like it and I had no prior experience with him. I ended up getting Day 1 lynched because I was a bit curt and didn't phrase my arguments over playstyle in a less ****-like style. However, after that, I learned not to chase him in Batma(n)fia and LoDScrew.

In short, a playstyle that looks shallow and unhelpful at first glance, but is generally accepted by the vets, can screw over those out of the loop.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I've always said to people that I think Marshy's style of play is terrible for town but I can't call him out on it because he's always right.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Then there's something like Boondock Saints mafia where Kevin managed to get thoroughly under my skin. I did not like it and I had no prior experience with him. I ended up getting Day 1 lynched because I was a bit curt and didn't phrase my arguments over playstyle in a less ****-like style. However, after that, I learned not to chase him in Batma(n)fia and LoDScrew.

In short, a playstyle that looks shallow and unhelpful at first glance, but is generally accepted by the vets, can screw over those out of the loop.
See this is you drawing a line that I don't think you're being fair about.

Any person whom plays mafia would have called you guys out on it, other people did, I was the most vocal because I've seen games where newer players blatantly buddy each other and if their of a different alignment then it just becomes terrible.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Yeah, you getting lynched wasn't any one persons fault (save for maybe yourself) so stop whining about it Ryker. Live and learn

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
We actually haven't had one of our arguments in a while...
that's cause you keep beating down Omni's and Gheb's style of play/wording :p

even though I've been here for a good while...I can't really call myself a vet in any regard. Mostly cause I feel like I don't have a style and I havn't caught anyone while I'm town. lol

still, there's a lot of styles I look at in a game I can recognize and there's some I'm still trying to analyze (Tom's, Ronike's, Frozenflame, and marshy are the few that come to mind).

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Guys, save up your 20 birthday punches against kevin to use when you next see him.

Omis

my friends were skinny
that's cause you keep beating down Omni's and Gheb's style of play/wording :p

even though I've been here for a good while...I can't really call myself a vet in any regard. Mostly cause I feel like I don't have a style and I havn't caught anyone while I'm town. lol

still, there's a lot of styles I look at in a game I can recognize and there's some I'm still trying to analyze (Tom's, Ronike's, Frozenflame, and marshy are the few that come to mind).
High five for being ********!

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I got back home tonight. I must say, driving four hours in the rain sucks when you're tired. It was totally worth it though. I rocked at Pokemon Puzzle League.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
This is what happens when you start talking to Rockin about Mafia.

"(6:25:01 PM) R*ckin: don't get me wrong, I like him. he's cool. but I ain't the groupies giving him bjs in the back of concerts >>
(6:25:40 PM) Amir: lol
(6:25:47 PM) Amir: sure you aren't"

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
This is what happens when you start talking to Rockin about Mafia.

"(6:25:01 PM) R*ckin: don't get me wrong, I like him. he's cool. but I ain't the groupies giving him bjs in the back of concerts >>
(6:25:40 PM) Amir: lol
(6:25:47 PM) Amir: sure you aren't"
so you give him bjs but just aren't a groupie?
He gives him the BJs in front of the concerts.

:059:
it's like I can't go one effing day without making some kind of gay typo LOL

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
SmashG0ld (11:25:35 PM): in other news i had an apple breakthrough
frozenfarce (11:25:41 PM): haha
frozenfarce (11:25:42 PM): okay
SmashG0ld (11:26:06 PM): i hope your computer chair/sofa has a seatbelt
SmashG0ld (11:26:25 PM): because you're about to embark on a riveting tale of fruit, action, romance, and allergies
SmashG0ld (11:26:37 PM): you'll be on the edge of your seat
SmashG0ld (11:27:13 PM): this is the kind of story that will blow your ideas for TV shows out of the water
SmashG0ld (11:27:33 PM): it all started many years ago, when i was a young one
SmashG0ld (11:27:49 PM): my mom occasionally sliced up apples and i would eat them
SmashG0ld (11:27:56 PM): everything was peachy
SmashG0ld (11:28:14 PM): til one day, i ate an apple and my mouth got itchy; my lips became red and my ears started burning
SmashG0ld (11:28:23 PM): that day i became allergic to apples
SmashG0ld (11:28:34 PM): it may actually have been a gradual process, not a day, but that's irrelevant
SmashG0ld (11:28:49 PM): fortunately, i was not deathly allergic... just enough to make eating them unpleasant
SmashG0ld (11:29:27 PM): but the mystery was just beginning... there was much more to this tale than that
SmashG0ld (11:29:58 PM): you see, i could drink apple juice and have applesauce just fine... it was only raw apples that did the trick
SmashG0ld (11:30:12 PM): so i stopped consuming them for many years... until NOW
SmashG0ld (11:30:42 PM): i went to my dining hall's grab n go for a late night snack, and they were all out of my usual favorite fruit: the potassium rich banana
SmashG0ld (11:31:01 PM): i had no choice but to take an apple... i'm still not sure what invisible hand made me make that choice
SmashG0ld (11:31:08 PM): i could have just not taken any fruit
SmashG0ld (11:31:16 PM): but no, some greater power was at work that day
SmashG0ld (11:31:46 PM): it had been so long since i tasted one, so long since i'd bitten into that fleshy fruit
SmashG0ld (11:32:04 PM): i got back to my room and washed it sunk my teeth into it
SmashG0ld (11:32:21 PM): then it began... the itching mouth, the burning ears
SmashG0ld (11:32:29 PM): horrific memories came rushing back to my mind
SmashG0ld (11:33:30 PM): i cursed the gods for their lack of mercy, that they might be so cruel as to deny me the same fruit with which they tempted Adam
SmashG0ld (11:33:49 PM): but i wasn't giving up that easy, oh no
SmashG0ld (11:34:14 PM): i waited a few minutes until the symptoms subsided and took another bite... and another
SmashG0ld (11:34:42 PM): the symptoms came back, but much more mildly
SmashG0ld (11:35:34 PM): and then it hit me, an epiphany not unlike that of Isaac Newton's upon being struck in the head by the very fruit i was in the process of digesting
SmashG0ld (11:36:09 PM): when i ate the fleshy part and avoided the skin, it hardly itched
SmashG0ld (11:36:58 PM): like Archimedes in the bathtub, i screamed "Eureka!"
SmashG0ld (11:37:15 PM): the skin, not the bulk of the fruit, was the problem
SmashG0ld (11:37:24 PM): i obtained a knife and removed the skin posthaste
SmashG0ld (11:37:36 PM): and savored the rest of that apple like i've savored no apple before
SmashG0ld (11:37:53 PM): there was some allergic reaction, but it was almost unnoticeable
SmashG0ld (11:38:10 PM): and that, my good man, is how i discovered the cause of and solution to my fruity dilemma
SmashG0ld (11:38:14 PM): i am a new man
SmashG0ld (11:38:19 PM): THE END
frozenfarce (11:38:27 PM): that story was almost as fruity as rockin

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
the importance of this last post is proof that you are, indeed, alive.

Top Bottom