• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Original? Or all of them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txe5UbkbqK0 always stuck out to me as a great Mario Kart song. I also really like most of the Rainbow Road songs. Especially Mario Kart 64 (With Mario Kart 64 also being my favorite).

Staff Roll 64
Rainbow Road 64
Rainbow Road Double Dash
Rainbow Road 64 (Mario Kart 8 Version)
Rainbow Road Wii

would be my top 5.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Lucid is gonna be too busy making the next big health integration app and crushing the game hardbody... so he's not about to give any ****s about epicmafia

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Thoughts on America.

Klinsmann's nomination as coach and his push to have US players contract themselves to European clubs in order to improve themselves is sound advice. However, the coach's rejection of Donovan from the team in lieu of other candidates put out the message that it was Klinsmann's way or the way out. In addition, Klinsmann was influential in bringing five players from Fußball-Bundesliga. A coach and players with little ties to US soil being hired to bring a US win is representative of the current status of our country.

I have been told that I'm bigoted in the sense that these men are just as American as anyone else. But honestly, John Brooks was born and raised in Berlin & has had his entire football career in Germany. The same which can be said of Fabian Johnson and Timothy Chandler who are German natives who have never set foot on U.S. soil aside from possibly training camp, a football game, or vacation purposes. Two 'exceptions' might be Julian Green was born in Tampa Florida, but moved to Germany when he was two & has had his entire football career in Germany and Jermaine Jones who although lived for a period of time in Chicago & Greenwood has began his professional career at the age of eighteen in Eintracht Frankfurt II and learned to play football as a child living in Germany. These talented men have been reported to put up at least half of our total goals on the board.

To which comes the second question, what's the problem if they are giving us results? The problem is that Jurgen Klinsmann has gone on record as saying we don't have a shot at winning unless we played the game of our lives seven times in a row. The coach we recruited doesn't even pretend to entertain the notion that we have a shot and has such a condescending view of football in our country that he influenced players to contract themselves to European leagues because playing in a second tier league over there would benefit them much more as players than playing in any league in the United States.

It is hard to root for Team America when Team America itself is representative of our countries lack of support for itself. Considering how globalization has impacted the US market, American industries are pushing manufacturing and most of 'what was' our economy off seas to other countries. It's sad that privatization of business overseas is now as American as recruiting a German football team. In a documentary, Robert Reich (labor secretary who served a sexual philanderer) takes an iPhone from a student and asks the viewer where do you think the money of purchase goes. To which he shares the following split up:

We don't produce iPhones in this country. We have China who gathers the raw components from other countries and assemble them for us to advertise, sell, and design financial instruments to maximize the profits. Reich contributed another bit of information (that has yet to be formally refuted) that fifty years ago, the typical GM worker got paid $35 an hour in today's dollars. General Motors at the time was the largest employer in America. Today the largest employer in America is Walmart and the typical Walmart employee earns $8.80 an hour. What happened to General Motors?

General Motors has moved employment overseas. To put it into numbers, their December 31st 2011 annual report showed that 74,500 jobs are in the United States while 122,500 positions are for abroad. A common retort is that the move abroad is to cut down on labor costs so that the United States can enjoy high quality US cars for lower prices. Despite this the company was called for a hearing in May due to their refusal to replace a 57 cent spring that would cost around $100 million to fix in 2007 which had the known effect of resulting in the ignition suddenly failing and causing the vehicle to come to an abrupt stop. The government came out in April of this year stating that they lost around $11.2 billion in funds when they bailed out the company. Treasury Department spokesperson Adam Hodges said, "The goal of Treasury's investment in GM was never to make a profit, but to help save the American auto industry, and by any measure that effort was successful."

Do I have to come out and make this point? Selling Americans cars that kill them should not be considered saving the American auto industry. Telling us that the 'industry' is saved when the industry is blatantly trying to run away from America, refuses to cut back profit equivalent to a couple thousand cars, and only uses Americans to purchase cars that were made on the cheap is actually a very American thing now if we are a country that now identifies with having its citizens extorted by government funded extortionists (Government bank bailout, Too Big to Fail).

I believe that the United States can compete internationally, but there needs to be heavy restructuring of our government and our industries. It isn't a coincidence that America currently has a third world case of income inequality compared to other countries. Just like it isn't a coincidence that our manufacturing has moved overseas, our unions have collectively weakened, and our politicians now get lobbied not only more frequently but also harder than ever before by industries in healthcare, automobiles, food, and firearms. I don't believe that lacking a patriotic backbone is a flaw in our national identity because the America we currently live in doesn't believe that it can right itself from the very wrong path that it's taking. It's possible that we never had any respectability to begin with, however I believe that the past decade has led us in even a worse position with our country having no real sense of fiscal responsibility (China debt, deregulation of banks, expanding provisions for lobbyists) and political sensibility (Iraq War fabrication, Armed and Dangerous, IRS tax scandal, Oversight over abuse of tax payer dollars) there's no sense of national identity.

We have a German coach leading an American team that he believes will not win. We have an American industry that doesn't believe the American job industry can lead to real profit. We have a national debt that continues to grow exponentially because no one believes it can actually be paid off. We have a democratic system that believes every congressman & senator has a right to be equally bribed because everyone wants to pad their own pocket since none of them believe the system can actually be changed.

Allow me to segue this train of negativity, I support cheering for America, the America that actually believes in Americans and not some quasi-hired mercenary team from Germany that isn't even confident their injection will bring about a win. Cheer for the 2010 team that made it through Klinsmann's cut and at the end of it all fire the ****ing asshole and tell him that he can coach a team that he actually believes can win. Jesus Christ. Go USA.

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
It's kind of ironic that I like that post.

Because liking that post is kind of like hating everything.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
real

though american increasing debt isn't really that big of an issue. Every other country is also massively in debt, and we're mostly in debt to our own citizens / government. No country actually expects to pay off the debt and it will continue to increase cuz that's the way our global financial capitalist system works nowadays.

edit: also i'm confused about that iphone graphic, i'm pretty sure Apple's margins on the IPhone are absurd so most of the revenue goes to Apple which is American. Unless it's referring to the cost of manufacturing then carry on

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
edit: also i'm confused about that iphone graphic, i'm pretty sure Apple's margins on the IPhone are absurd so most of the revenue goes to Apple which is American. Unless it's referring to the cost of manufacturing then carry on
Start watching at 4:30 (last minute of the video).

"Where do most of your dollars go when you buy an iPhone? ... Well here is where your dollars go. Most of your dollars are going to Japan. Some of your dollars are going to Germany. In fact Germany is the second biggest one. South Korea is the third. And here 6% is going to the United States. And here only 3.6% of your dollars is going to China. Now it's assembled in China, but the assembly is of pieces from all over the place. Everything is coming from everywhere."

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Acrostic does a good job at painting a small picture of the dismal state of American politics and big business.

Private money in politics is a big ****ing joke. If you legitimately believe that any amount of private money should have ANY influence on politics then Im sorry but you have ****ty ****ing politics and need to educate yourself on how our political system actually functions. And Im not saying that to be arrogant or dismissive. I saying that because its the ****ing factual truth.

Citizens United is the biggest disgrace of a Supreme Court decision since Plessy v. Ferguson.

And then when I thought the SCOTUS couldn't possibly sully its image more, they went ahead and did this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCutcheon_v._Federal_Election_Commission

Lifting aggregate limits on campaign contributions for individuals in the name of ****ing "freedom of speech" literally made me feel ill when I read the opinion. For those of you who don't know, the functional effect of this decision was that it allowed roughly 500-600 individuals in a country of MORE THAN 300 MILLION to donate more the previously allowed $117,000 in total to any and all candidates one wished to support.

Let me reiterate. ONLY 500-600 PEOPLE IN THE ENTIRE ****ING COUNTRY EVEN REACH THAT LIMIT. And the court goes ahead and says that lifting this limit is in the interest of promoting free speech for all american citizens and the democratic process we hold dear.

Really SCOTUS? Because what it sounds like to me is you gave the .000002% of the population with the MOST OVERALL INDIVIDUAL FINANCIAL INFLUENCE ON THE ELECTION PROCESS EVEN MORE INFLUENCE BECAUSE THEY WHINED THAT THEY WERENT IN FIRST PLACE BY A WIDE ENOUGH MARGIN.

And with that limit gone, now politicians need to be responsive to even FEWER people's interests, because they can get adequate campaign support from even fewer contributors.

Man, that REALLY sounds like our free speech and political influence has been enhanced by this decision, doesn't it guys?

But anyway, if any of you are actually legitimately interested in learning just how bad the state of the global economy has gotten in terms of inequality, and how the idea that capatalism promotes a system where one's economic class is reflective proportionally to one's merits is a huge ****ing joke, you should read Capital in the 21st Century. I just finished it a few weeks ago. Thomas Piketty is a ****ing genius. To put his main point in gaming terms, capitalism is the worst slippery slope metagame for an economic system of all ****ing time. Once you start winning, as long as you dont majorly **** up, you literally can ****ing win forever and you win WAY HARDER THAN ANYONE ELSE EVER.

This mostly reflected by the fact that people in the upper centile of ALL INCOME DISTRIBUTIONS IN ALL MODERN DEVELOPED NATIONS ACCRUE THE VAST MAJORITY OF THEIR INCOME FROM CAPITAL WHICH IS OFTEN INHERITED CAPITAL (i.e. **** they did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO EARN THAT WAS LITERALLY JUST HANDED DOWN TO THEM)

Yeah thats a lot of caps and obnoxious anger but there is not a single poitical issue that pisses me off more than this, simply due to the fact that so many people have no idea how imbalanced the economic system we live in is.

Even if you hate me and all that was tl;dr, just do yourself a ****ing favor and read this ****ing book

If I had any say in the matter this would be mandatory reading in all high school economics classes in the entire nation

Last edited:

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
FF I heard that book was the ****ing truth, I need to get on that. I'm happy as hell though that actual economists are finally self reflecting on the effect capitalism in it's current form is having.

Money in politics is for sure one of the hugest issues preventing our government from actually working in any shape or form

all you money having ****** who give a **** about having a functioning democracy, please drop a few bucks this way: http://mayday.us

and for ppl who like reading papers: here's an AMAZING paper that highlights how flawed our current system is -- http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/G...ens and Page 2014-Testing Theories 3-7-14.pdf
it's an ill study that uses statistical analysis to show that economic elites and business-aligned interest groups dictate American policy changes while average citizens have literally zero influence.

edit for ppl that like videos:
the homie joseph gordon levitt talks briefly about the funding issue:

steve wozniak (true baller, tech ****in genius and founder of APPLE) discusses the same issue and how it's causing stupid government laws and programs like SOPA / PIPA / the assault on net neutrality / NSA spying and be attributed to the funding laws:

18 minute ted talk by lawrence lessig that highlights the issue with campaing funding: https://www.ted.com/talks/lawrence_lessig_we_the_people_and_the_republic_we_must_reclaim

longer more detailed talk:

Last edited:

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Start watching at 4:30 (last minute of the video).

"Where do most of your dollars go when you buy an iPhone? ... Well here is where your dollars go. Most of your dollars are going to Japan. Some of your dollars are going to Germany. In fact Germany is the second biggest one. South Korea is the third. And here 6% is going to the United States. And here only 3.6% of your dollars is going to China. Now it's assembled in China, but the assembly is of pieces from all over the place. Everything is coming from everywhere."
ah ok so yea it is the manufacturing cost. In the breakdown it shows that an iphone cost 178.96 which is far less than the purchasing price. The point still stand for sure

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I made a post related to that issue in the Debate Hall. The way I see it, interest and compund interest are the core mechanics that make the system 'work' the way it does [not].

:059:

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I made a post related to that issue in the Debate Hall. The way I see it, interest and compund interest are the core mechanics that make the system 'work' the way it does [not].

You're right, they are at the center of why capital wealth is "broken" relative to earned wealth through income.

Problem is, interest is the crux of motivation for reinvestment of capital. Without it, you encourage hoarding, in the strictest logical sense. Interest and capital interest are not inherently problematic. In economies with high rates of demographic growth and production growth, interest can nurture that growth which can allow for a greater share of an economy's overall wealth to reach the lower percentiles of income recipients.

However, growth rates are not controlled entirely by interest and factors that affect it. So when growth rates slow (which they often do as a result of economic policy shifts, sudden supply or demand side shocks [including technological shifts and innovations], changing consumer tastes, etc.) interest rates often DO NOT change proportionally with the shift in growth. Oftentimes, these interest rates remain extremely stable, and maintain stability above the rate of growth within a given economy. This results in wealth generated through capital interest to grow at a rate that FAR EXCEEDS the income growth rate for people obtaining wealth through non-capital means. That's where the system breaks down and you see huge amounts of disparity begin to develop, because those who have capital can sit on it and get consistent returns (which are disproportionate higher in low growth economies) while those who do not generate income this way are bound to the growth rate to see their incomes rise, and suffer far greater losses when economies stagnate and the growth rate slows.

This phenomenon can be managed and corrected for with robust economic policy. Its tough to have a functioning capitalist economy without having interest providing for reinvestment incentive at its core, but you can certainly improve how fair the distribution of wealth is within an economy is by curbing the gross rate of return for those who sit in the upper decile and centile. The amount they receive as a result of this phenomenon is disturbingly large and no where even close to a reasonable proportion that they may "deserve" as a result of what their innovations or investments contribute to the growth of the economy. Having capital is LITERALLY the definition of overpowered in low growth economies. We need social policy to "nerf" it.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Problem is, interest is the crux of motivation for reinvestment of capital.
But why is that reinvestment of capital even needed in the first place? If you think about it carefully you might realize that the entire argument is going in circles:
Investments are needed to create growth. Growth is needed to pay back depts which are blown out of proportion by interest and compound interest. Yet those investments require the raise of a credit, which triggers the whole cycle anew. As long as [compound] interest exists investments and growth are part of the problem, not of the solution.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
But why is that reinvestment of capital even needed in the first place? If you think about it carefully you might realize that the entire argument is going in circles:
Investments are needed to create growth. Growth is needed to pay back depts which are blown out of proportion by interest and compound interest. Yet those investments require the raise of a credit, which triggers the whole cycle anew. As long as [compound] interest exists investments and growth are part of the problem, not of the solution.

I never said interest was needed.

"Problem is, interest is the crux of motivation for reinvestment of capital. Without it, you encourage hoarding, in the strictest logical sense."

In a capitalist economic structure, capital reinvestment is core to ensuring that you have wealth being used to the maximum extent possible.

You can certainly create growth without it, but its incredibly unlikely (at the very least its not incentivized) in a capitalist economic structure. Of course with a different economic structure where you treat property and ownership of it in a fundamentally different manner, you can create growth in other ways. You definitely dont NEED interest at all. I was just saying that if we're looking to fix capitalism you cant really do away with interest. Its not a realistic solution to do so.

If we lived in some bizarro alternate reality where a complete overall of our economic systems were plausible and we could break away from capitalism entirely, then you're right, interest would definitely be something on the chopping block. Or atleast something that deserves some serious scrutiny. But unfortunately, a fundamental overhaul of how we legally treat property and ownership isn't really a realistic solution to the problem. Not yet atleast.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't see how interest is needed to ensure capital reinvestment though. That's what supply and demand is supposed to be here for. If there's demand for something, there is profit to be gained and thus there will be somebod to supply it. The necessary investments will happen without interest.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
American Bar Association on Legal Education

On Moralizing and Blame (1/25/14)
ABA said:
Some of the criticism takes the form of moralizing and blaming current problems on various actors in the legal education community.

Deans are blamed for raising law school tuition or failing to stand up to certain constituencies. Faculty are blamed for supposedly self-seeking behavior and the pursuit of questionable goals for the law school. Universities are blamed for supposedly pressuring law schools to become profit centers.

The legal profession is blamed for insufficiently supporting law schools and recent graduates, and steadily shifting educational responsibilities and costs to law schools.

Moralizing and blaming are not particularly productive. What is needed instead is a dispassionate and pragmatic examination of the current situation that begins with a presumption of good faith on the part of all participants.
Yes. Despite all these pin downs against deans, faculty, universities, and a lack of support from the legal profession YOU the student consumer should remain as OBJECTIVE as possible and rely on PRESUMPTION of GOOD FAITH.

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Well, after watching a game of that, I don't think I'd want to play in that environment.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I honestly can't tell if you're making a joke, but couch surfing is moving from house to house for shelter, usually a stranger's and usually you sleep on a couch.

Actually, I guess it can also be done for fun.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
nah I have gone to actual shelters before before living in philly here instead of someone's couch

Top Bottom