• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Ashemu

Smash Ace
hell yea buffed mario

its too bad he probably doesnt have space for a doc pill alt special. i love doc

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I was really fortunate to be in the sweet-spot of 'butt**** nowhere enough that not that many people showed' and 'important enough to get a demo'.

I managed to get around an hour across both version. 20 minutes (5 turns of two 2-minute games) on the Wii U version, and 40 minutes on the 3DS version.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
[collapse="Smash 4 Impressions"]
Okay, so, here's all my Marth impressions:

Dashing:
No dash dancing. (or if there is, the window is super tight)
Dash cancel works like Brawl, can cancel with DB.
Dash to shield seems about the same as Brawl.

PIVOT CANCELING NEW META: Out of a dash, if you pivot, you can cancel into a jab/tilt/smash/grab out of the animation. Really fast, and will be a hugely important mechanic. I found it by accident while attempting to pivot grab.

Normals:
Aerial lag seems higher. 6-10 frames on each aerial. Feels really bad.
Range feels pretty much the same. Fair maybe slightly buffed in range, but nerfed in recovery.
D- tilt IASA is like Brawl, you seem to be able to shield, not sure if IASA shield.
Jab is identical, no finisher.
SHDF and SH Fair -> Uair don't work. Fair recovery seems increased.
Unable to test Footstool dair due to difficulty of footstool in FFA.
Bair facing works like Brawl, bair feels really good.
Nair still feels godlike.
U-tilt seems both slower to start up (very slightly) and slower to recover. Still has back-side strong hitbox.

Specials:
DB timing is slightly stricter, might just be the TVs.
DS recovers much faster when used from the ground. Not sure about I-frames yet.
RCO lag definitely still there. orz
Dancing Blade has AWFUL recovery if you stop it early. Like, gotta be around 25 frames. DB1 mixups are toast for sure. 4th hit feels a great deal stronger. Likely only safe if you stop after 3rd hit down due to backstep. Stopping after first two hits would be suicide.
Upwards ver. of Dancing Blade has more range I think.
DB1 air 'mini-jump' still works.

Grabs:
No follow ups to grab. Kirby at 0 went about as far as he would at 70 in Brawl from f-throw.
D-throw sent pretty much totally vertical.
Grab range seems slightly nerfed, slightly more recovery? (Grabs in General seems slow to recover)
Pivot Grab still works, still godlike.

Greninja:
Bair is great. Fast, great range, excellent for edge guards.
Fair is a bit slow, but has decent range/power.
Uair is amazing and I was able to get a few legit follow ups from throws/other moves.
Dair (hereforth known as Footdive) is actually pretty good for a stall n' fall, and you can move freely after bouncing. Can probably chain it on big characters at specific percents.
Smashes seem okay. U-Smash seems good, D-Smash has a booty hitbox and is kinda slow.
F-Smash has decent range, but it also a bit slow and not that strong.
F-tilt has fast start-up and great range, but awful recovery.
D-tilt is way too short-range to be used as a poke.
U-tilt is like a smaller version of DK's u-tilt.
His throws all seem decent, and I'm somewhat confident you can get follow-ups from them.
Side-B can be held to travel additional distance. Gren can still move while doing this, but he can only walk slowly. Releasing the button activates the attack. Pretty fast. Apparently his shadow moves while he's charging it, to indicate where he'll appear.
Water shur is great, good aerial mobility while charging.

Sheik:

F-tilt with Sheik is just as good. All tilts are still good.
Uair is multihit now.
Nair animation is different but still good.
Bair feels about the same.
Up-B seems to move slightly less before the poof.
Side- B bombs are super slow, I have no idea if they're actually good or not or where you'd even viably use them.
Down-B is just weird, startup is pretty slow as well. Can get a sizable wall-jump if you contact a wall during the flip.

Pit:

Arrows are awful now. Start-up is way worse, so is recovery, and they move slower.
F-tilt is godlike. Has IASA frames and amazing range. It's like Marth's d-tilt level of good.
Bair is still great, has seemingly very little landing lag.

Stages
I would say, from first impressions, I would have 5/8 stages legal
Battlefield and City&Town (Nu Smashville) are perfect
Skyloft is basically Delfino without water.
Mario stage is the same idea, with predictable transformation timing. Around 40 seconds per transition.
Colisseum would be banned. Too damn big for singles.
Boxing Ring banned for sure. Walk-offs, walls, and stalling on top of the arena lights. (they respawn after 5 seconds if you break them, so it's not a viable anti-stall)
Wily's Castle would've been godlike if the Yellow Devil wasn't a thing.
I can't remember the 8th stage

<Notes from Croi, our Wario main>

Kirby:
Back throw feels nerfed. Frame data is really bad but cooldown is low. Can't follow it up with anything.
Inhale feels nerfed slightly.
Bair is buffed; comes out faster and sourspot hits harder.
Shield is larger.
Final Cutter damage/knockback is buffed; the shockwave is *drastically* nerfed, presumably to keep scrubs from spamming it online.
Stone has longer startup but is otherwise the same.
Fair feels slightly buffed; less frames in-between each kick.
Dair feels nerfed, smaller hitbox.
Grab game in general feels stronger, but it might just be the animations making it feel more rewarding for landing one.

Donkey Kong:
He's ****ING MASSIVE. Larger than Bowser by a decent margin. His bigger body is possibly a buff for singles (longer range) but a detriment to doubles. (Probably like 20-30% bigger)
Recovery feels buffed vertically and horizontally, but is slower.
Dsmash is faster but is possibly weaker.
Punch has a weird charging animation; possibly a shorter range?
Aerial down+b confirmed. Spikes softly but is faster than dair.
Fair frames feel buffed slightly.
Ground Pound still has silly range.
Dash attack acts like it does in P:M, but is slower.

Mario:
Mario feels like he'd make high tier easily. He's basically just Brawl Mario, but everything is faster, hits harder, and is just easier and more rewarding. He can fair all day like it ain't no thang.
Aerial fireball is nerfed; it travels mostly straight down. Probably to make it harder to recover high.
No real criticisms otherwise. Of the characters that I've tried, I'd main Mario in a heartbeat.

Fox:
Can act out of Fox Illusion, including using Fire Fox, but not Fox Illusion again. If this is intentional, Fox's recovery is STUPID GOOD.
Most of his attacks are heavily nerfed. Fresh uair at 70 barely did anything. He has the speed for decent combo games, though.
Frame data feels roughly as good as Brawl, nowhere near Melee obv.
Laser does not cancel on landing. Camping is massively nerfed as a result.
Shine cannot stall like it could in Brawl.

Wii Fit Trainer:
Recovery is terrible, but maybe I'm just using it wrong? I pressed up+b and she barely went anywhere. Maybe you have to press it repeatedly, or maybe jiggle the stick? Either way it was crapass.
Frames in general feel generous and she *feels* like she hits decently hard. Her specials are generally pretty booty, though.
Her "Praise the Sun" projectile is slow and weak, even fully charged, but it charges quickly. Not a good trade since you typically charge attacks when the opponent is offstage anyway.
"Focus" offers too little for too much and can fail entirely if your timing is off.
Volleyball is actually pretty neat. Angle can be adjusted slightly and I believe it can be smashed, like Samus's missiles.
Overall Wii Fit Trainer feels very technical. She could potentially be devastating but I can't put in the time or the effort with a limited Best Buy beta demo to say for sure.

Sonic:
Can't jump out of spindash???
Recovery feels about the same as in Brawl.
Dash attack hits like Project: M's side+b, but can't jump out of it. Good for pressuring shields regardless.
Fair is buffed; has almost no landing lag.
Dair is strong but has a gross amount of landing lag, moreso than Brawl.
Overall feels pretty bad and possible the most "unfinished" character I've played. Nothing with him really feels good or rewarding, despite how flashy some of his aerials look.

Little Mac:
Not a good choice of character for a Wario main.
*Very* strong ground game. Jabs, tilts, smashes, grab game, everything on the ground is very rigid and powerful.
Recovery is literally the worst I've ever seen. Side+b and up+b are useless in the air (both are very strong on the ground).
Uncharged fsmash does 20%.
Uncharged usmash killed Rosalina on Battlefield at ~80%.
OHKO (which isn't, by the way) has very good frame data: just a little slower than his jab and has super armour, possibly invincibility, until end.

General:
You can't act out of hitstun, so combos like Melee are possible, although as it is, it feels like most attacks are too strong at low percentages, specifically to discourage them.
I've only tried Mario and Little Mac, but pivot grabs feel much stronger than in Brawl.
Pivoting in general is a whole tech in itself: you can tilt/smash/grab/jab out of a pivot.
The visuals are great without being overwhelming. They look confusing and distracting on Twitch and Youtube, but in practice, it's all very easy to digest while still being entertaining and enrapturing. The 60 FPS jump also makes a massive difference.
The demo feels very unfinished and rough, but you can get a general feel for the direction the game is going in, and it feels great. There are some oversights, some rather drastic (i.e. Fox's amazing recovery), but I'm looking forward to the finished product, especially if the Nintendo reps are paying as close attention to player feedback as they say.
[/collapse]
This is all super encouraging to hear. It sounds like a lot of the stuff that makes it feel clunky is probably just due to it being unfinished. I'm optimistic about it getting better when it's more polished. I'm really excited to hear about how Nintendo is actually taking player feedback into consideration. If we get enough people telling them "less laggy moves, more free movement", then we might actually get something that people don't hate on like it's their job.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I was really fortunate to be in the sweet-spot of 'butt**** nowhere enough that not that many people showed' and 'important enough to get a demo'.

I managed to get around an hour across both version. 20 minutes (5 turns of two 2-minute games) on the Wii U version, and 40 minutes on the 3DS version.
I'm curious, how well does it play on the 3DS? Does it feel weird playing smash with those controls, instead of the Gamecube Controller we all know and love?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
3DS controls are a little strange to get used to at first, but it's practically the same as the Wii U Pro controller, save for not having the right stick. I hope the Circle Pad Pro will be compatible.

Visually, it's actually quite smooth and clean, even on the 3DS. Very easy to make out all the details, and runs smooth as anything.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Thanks for the impressions everyone, its interesting to read them. I am very excited about the game and playing it.
I hope its not as floaty and slow as brawl and so far impressions seem to indicate that way. I will surely be fine anyways with how it plays cause I just have so much fun playing smash games even in single player just messing around and stuff.

And that Rhythm Heaven enemy pic online means that the second gematsu leak is probably real, which means Shulk.

Which means Xenoblade content.

Which means you will know our ****ing names.

EXCITE.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Man, I'm still just holding out hope for anyone other than Chrom from Awakening.

How Sakurai gonna give us Wii Fit Trainer and Villager and ****in' Rosalina for the sake of creativity and then give us a third blue-haired swordsman from Fire Emblem? Come on. It's like if the pokemon line-up were just Pikachu and the pika-clones from every generation.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Nah man, here comes Eirika to join the battle! I know how much Circus wants to see another blue haired sword user, but at least this one is a girl! Hold up tho, they redesigned her, and now she's wearing a miniskirt and heels.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a general idea of the climate since my dad had trouble finding a job when he graduated from Emory way back in the day. He said he was a top 25% graduate but deffo not top 10% and had trouble landing a legal job. He was able to land something because of my grandma (his mother in-law) who he just recently came to know (just married) and she pulled some strings for him from a veteran lawyer in the field to show him the ropes (a job).

It has always intrigued me why very logical people decide to pursue a field that won't give them a deserving return for their investment. Perhaps it is the idea that they already aren't getting a suitable return that they decide that at least law will get them a better return than what they are doing at the moment. I never understood it, however I've respected nearly all law school students for their decision to pursue law. I however don't have a similar respect for law schools or how legal representation actually works in this country. And I've always been neutral on lawyers as I've always felt that many of the practices they are detested on is simply the cutthroat competitive nature that is attributed by the job market and also the innate nature of what lawyers have been assigned to do based on the status quo.
As far as getting a return on my investment goes, monetarily speaking at least, I'm not really in this gig for the money. I can see myself working in a big firm setting, and taking home close to or above 6 figures certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, but that's not really what I decided to go to law school for. I really just wanted to know the law so that I will be fluent in it for the rest of my life, no matter what I end up going in to. I'm really doing it to acquire the skills to be completely independent when it comes to legal matters. I hate the idea of having to pay someone else to understand the law for me, and I also hate the idea of not being able to examine any legal work I do have someone do for me, and not understand what they're doing, why they're doing it, and if they're effective at what they're doing. Basically I want to be able to handle my own legal affairs, as well as my family's, at all times when the skill is needed. And that's just the practical end of it. I'm also immensely interested in law as a social construct from an academic standpoint. The role of law in the development of modern human society, from social norms, to governmental structure, to social policy, to economics and wealth distribution, and about a million other core aspects of our society, is something I'm extremely passionate about and interested in.

You're right though that for a lot of people who go to law school expecting to come out with a guaranteed massive paycheck, they're setting themselves up for disappointment and a potential financial nightmare a la crippling debt. Thankfully I also have a pretty substantial scholarship, so I'm not nearly as concerned with making a ton of money right out of school as some of my classmates are.

I feel like you would have really enjoyed a class I just took this past semester, Professional Ethics and Responsibility. It provided really interesting insight into the nature of the legal profession and how that relates to the ethical body of rules that are in place to govern the behavior of lawyers. An interesting point my professor made about the codes of professional ethics that most state bars follow, is that the ethical rules they codify oftentimes seem designed to suit and protect the interests of lawyers, rather than clients. Obviously a great deal of the rules are pretty explicitly in place to protect clients (e.g. confidentiality rules, conflict of interest restrictions, clear communication standards, etc.) but they also tend to feature elements that provide lawyers with formulaic ways to kind of "cover their own ass" so to speak.

That's a really oversimplistic and crude way of putting it as its an idea we worked with the entire semester, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at. Basically I agree with you that the bad stigma attached to lawyering is partially a product of the very rules by which we govern lawyer behavior.

Last edited:

anti-town

Zack Fair/marshy
****** hate us sayin our viewpoints irrelevant but still we rise to be empowered in time. close enough for me

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Best marshy hydrafications:

3. Zatanna
2. Sons of hardbody
1. Nightmare before hardbody

I love anti-town but that last one has to be the best fusion of two distinct personalities of all the hydras. And the name just flows hard. And brings chills.

I'm a die-hard MGS fan, and fan of Zatanna so obv bias there.

Also jealous that that you have a Steel hydra ! How many attack points does that have?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I almost watched it tonight by name but then I saw the trailer and I was like 'ehhhh"

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
got abruptly woken up cuz the shack thing im living in was getting fumigated

there are now literally 2 inch cockroaches raining from the ceiling all over the place

edit: turning this into macs personal ******** corner

the huge ass guard dog that never leaves his cage always poops right in the house, it never gets cleaned up right away so there's a constant and distinct aroma of dog ****

just got a whole new suite of 20+ mosquito bites (just on my left leg I gave up counting). Yet again I get to play the game of "i hope these ain't bed bug bites / hope i haven't contracted malaria"

there are large barrels of stagnant water used for washing **** that have visible attracted mosquito larvae (or atleast these tiny worm things that I assume are the precursor to mosquitoes) Manned the **** up yesterday and still bathed with that ****

and worst of all, this internet is subpar... oh the humanity

edit2: **** yo so these cockroaches aren't even completely dead, I go to sweep up some of the ones that are just chillin on the floor and they start scurrying away... ****in zombie cockroaches

Last edited:

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
geckos are the main pests here which i prefer way more than rats esp since they eat mosquitoes. except they make these loudass honky noises

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I don't mind the rats. My sis and mom freak out at them though.

Top Bottom