• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
nvm I get it now. cuz I read

Last edited:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Moocher/Lucky are two I am definitely inviting. Especially cuz they were two of the only people that kept me sane over there.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
joey can you please not use spider gifs in this thread out of consideration of bradfords heart LOL
<3 thank you Ramses ;)

"Oh look, a picture loading slowly. Must be a gif. I wonder what it is..."
*phone hits the floor*

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm reading the Game you were playing. I'm just hoping to cut through all the mechanics talk to see scum. If I were in the game I would just vote someone randomly just to shake things up and hope i don't get instalynched for LOLSCUM BY DA BOOK OFC reads

TiL Marshy has 4 hydras with "hardbody" in the username. That number seems surprisingly low
Too much of a good thing, is not a good thing.

Last edited:

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Which reminds me, Guild got lynched due a N0 alignment scan. Please guys, if you have N0 actions in your setup, please don't have an alignment revealing scanner. I can't believe that **** flies.
just the fact that he reveals alignment, and not something more dubious like Flavor, or Power Role. Like, if you're scanning, and the result you get is "Guilty/Not guilty" or "Mafia/Town/Indy" or wutever, that **** is ridonk.
So it's an actual N0 Cop?

hahaha holy ****
The fact that SWF has consistently well balanced games typically devoid of roles that have no semblance of balance or clever design is a luxury that we kind of take for granted. For those of you who have only ever played forum mafia on SWF, especially if you came after the actual Dgames subforum was created, you've been spoiled more than you probably realize. We've consistently had a community filled with players who care about things like well balanced, tempered, well designed roles that provide meaningful choices to players without overcentralizing games, and balanced, non gimmicky setups. That is absolutely NOT the norm, and in all honesty had it not been for the continued participation of those players who actually valued good game design in the early days of SWF mafia, Dgames probably never would have become a thing, and the mafia scene here would have devolved into a nightmare of casualfaggotry.

Much like smash, Mafia is a game that can be played and enjoyed by players across a broad spectrum of understanding of the fundamentals of the game. You can play casual generally mountainous mafia with people who probably frankly dont give much of a **** about winning or losing and are just playing to toss accusations around and lynch people. That can be fun in its own way, and is often the way most people who play the game see it. Its just like playing smash with all stages and items on. Its janky, but if you aren't concerned about robust game design, its still pretty entertaining. And to the player who doesn't want to devote much time or critical thought to the game, it's still good enough to leave the player satisfied and allow them to enjoy themselves while playing.

On the other end of the spectrum, paying close attention to setup and role design and actually playing the game seriously with a focus on actually trying to fulfill your wincon to the best of your ability also makes for an incredibly entertaining and rewarding game. But obviously not everyone sees it that way, because not everyone values strong game design the way most of the players here at SWF do. I think the prevalence of folks who appreciate complex, nuanced, and robust game design coupled with strategic, logical, and driven play is at least partially a result of the fact that a good chunk of us are on this site for a competitive video game in the first place. Those of us who take smash seriously as a competitive game, are far more likely to be receptive to the more "competitive" type of mafia we play here. It also informs the decision making of those of us who host games here. Early on in SWF mafia's development, had there been more people that preferred a more casual and simple approach to the game, we would have had a much different outcome in the way mafia is played here, and a significant difference in the personalities that comprise the community.

That why when you wander outside of SWF to play mafia, you'll very commonly run into communities that just don't put nearly as much emphasis on having robust role design and setups devoid of broken, overcentralizing mechanics. People in other communities simply don't engage in the type of discussions about role balance and robust design that we do here, because the players don't take that stuff as seriously, and thus, there is far less player feedback (if any!) as to what types of roles and setup designs are good/bad and what they'd like to see more/less of. So of course, people hosting games can basically get away with doing whatever the **** they want.

The most prevalent difference in game design philosophies that I see in other communities, is that hosts in other communities are much more likely to subscribe to the "Even if I put broken roles on one side, as long as I have broken roles on the other side too, the game is fair!" philosophy. Though this CAN work, it often does not. But as I said, these types of players don't often put much thought into the nuances of setup balance. There is a clear difference in the level of sophistication of the understanding we have about the effect certain types of roles can have on a game, compared to the general player on the internet. But that didn't come automatically, and SWF certainly had its growing pains. The archives are full of games with missteps. The difference is that our community was able to observe and critique those less than stellar design decisions, and then adapt and improve our collective game design. We simply have developed an incredibly elite standard, which I, as someone who's been playing here since the very first game to grace the site, am incredibly proud of and cherish. That's why I always come back to play mafia here, and literally almost no where else.

The existence of a role like a N0 faultless role PM receiving cop is a perfect example of a clearly broken role parading around as if it were fair in a game parading around like it was robustly designed to be the true "ultimate mafia game" that would truly showcase the abilities of all those invited. Roles like that literally contradict that premise. It doesn't matter how good of a scum player you are if you get copped night 0. You're ****ing dead and that's that. That type of game design shows an inability of the host to understand that the game is not just one huge collective experience for two or more teams, but rather, an experienced shared by a group of individual players who each deserve to have a honest and fair shot and making a significant impact on the game through their choices. Broken, over centralizing roles strip certain players of that experience and give all that potential enjoyment to the select few who get the roles that run the game.

But like I said, an unsophisticated host won't see that. Most mafia communities don't see nor understand that. But we here at SWF are extremely attuned to it. And that's what makes this community, and those of you who have joined it to share in that appreciation for high level and robustly designed mafia, ****ing awesome.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I'm not sure if some of you may or may not remember, but one of the avatars I had was the logo of the Weather Underground. Not because I necessarily agreed with all their actions, but because they actually freed political prisoners by actually raiding a prison to free the prisoner. I was talking with this over with a friend recently about the Chelsea Manning petition for her to win a Nobel Prize and I was just asking him if he thought it was as pointless and arguably offensive to explicitly rely on an online petition as a form of actual advocacy for their political opinion. Although the jail break of Timothy Leary was a contracted job by the Weather Underground and occurred in the 1970s, it still demonstrated to me that there was definitely a different sense of responsibility surrounding what individual responsibility and involvement was when it came to the way of how politics was developing globally and how much stock individuals put in their own hands to make a difference in shaping the country they lived in.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Women's rights.
Not funny.

These movements and demonstrations started by hippies were some of the most public demonstrations against the war and the direction of the presidency.
When taking psych this year it seemed like being strong tough and gunhoe seemed like what viewpoint were of traditional males.

Nowadays gender is less telling of roles, but even then I don't think people can completely avoid gender especially with kids.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I shouldn't have used the word manly since I was referencing protests in general during the -60's and not just the ones for women's rights.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Civil courage would be an appropriate term for it, I think. But hey it's 1984 and the system has no place for such things.

:059:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
To go along with what FF's saying, I find it interesting how more "sophisticated" mafia places (Like MS) still lack a mandatory requirement to have your setups reviewed. This results in **** like my first game there having a death anti-miller and other unbelievably broken things that I don't see any of here. It's something that does wonders for having balanced setups across the board.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I always thought that Mafia Scum just got to a certain hype and a certain player volume where the quality had to dwindle. Note it took me ages to get my MS account approved and by the time it was approved, I had lost any interest because the game I had wanted to join had already filled with replacements to boot.

Last edited:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I always thought that Mafia Scum just got to a certain hype and a certain player volume where the quality had to dwindle. Note it took me ages to get my MS account approved and by the time it was approved, I had lost any interest because the game I had wanted to join had already filled with replacements to boot.
Yeah, I still don't get why it takes them so long.

I have to give them credit, though, as they're the only Mafia-centred forum that I've seen that takes advantage of the fact that it's an entire forum, as opposed to ones where the general impression is "This was a subforum that wanted their own playground."

Can we please never do that, by the way?

Kantrip

Kantplay
So I'm going on a 2 week backpacking trip in Europe in about a week.

Vienna, Villach, Salzburg, Venice, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam

What do I really need to make sure I see/do in those places?

inb4 red light district
inb4 walrus

Ashemu

Smash Ace
mafiascum is ****

i dont kno wabout other ppl but i suspect teh reason im not very manly is taht im on a forum pretending to be an anime girl

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So I'm going on a 2 week backpacking trip in Europe in about a week.

Vienna, Villach, Salzburg, Venice, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam

What do I really need to make sure I see/do in those places?

inb4 red light district
inb4 walrus
Go visit Gheb, clearly.

Ashemu

Smash Ace
also im at this weird mafia midlife crisis where i dont really enjoy playing anywhere that much

Kantrip

Kantplay
The thought crossed my mind but our time in Austria is probably the most limited as we'll be with family. It's too bad, I want to behold Gheb's kawaii-ness in all its glory at least once in my lifetime.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
The thought crossed my mind but our time in Austria is probably the most limited as we'll be with family. It's too bad, I want to behold Gheb's kawaii-ness in all its glory at least once in my lifetime.
You're missing out.

Top Bottom