• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
So since that Game of Champions game is finally over, I've been meaning to say something.

Playing on a different site made me realize something and I wanted to share it with you guys as a community. The game in itself was not that bad and I've gotten into worse arguments with people here, but still I dreaded just even posting in that game because it was not fun for me and more like a chore. I mean the battle of egos was suffocating and just disturbing, but there was also the clash of play styles and way of thought playing there. So many different ways to play this simple parlor game. I lived till N5 where I was shot by the vig because he thought I wasn't town even though the rest of town had me as town and shot me because "AtE+Too towny to actually be town" was his reasoning. *Vig never shot any scum haha* To be completely honest, I was happy to die when I did haha.

But, that's not the point I want to make in this post. The thing that I realized is that I truly do like our community we have formed here on this site. I enjoy playing this game with everyone and I mean that honestly. I know a lot of people do not think of me as being honest when I talk or all that jazz, but I would like to seriously say that I have enjoyed the four years of playing with people. I mean I have seen so many players grow from the beginning and stand out or players come from other sites and make their imprint here as well. It just makes me smile whenever I log onto SWF DGames now and I'm glad I came and joined when I did after a Disco Room game I signed up for on a complete whim because I was bored.

I realized, also, that a lot of are arguments (when people do argue) are usually heated. It hit me that, yeah, arguments can get heated but usually everyone cools down and gets back to being civil with each other in a decent amount of time. I mean sure, sometimes salt gets spilled everyone, or someone will be mad for quite a bit, but in the end things go back to normal. I feel that is because we are actual strong as a community and can truly just talk to one another. That's another reason why I feel that sometimes people take things as personal attacks and the like because who we are all playing with are friends. Friends on an internet site that is different than that of others. I mean, I know from my own personal history, I have pissed of a majority of you guys and a majority of you have gotten under my skin too. That can be said for a lot of us in this community, but in the end we can all still hit one another up and chat from time to time. I really do appreciate that about this site. I also love the fact that a lot of people can disappear for a great amount of time and then come back and be welcomed again as if they never truly left. That's something I like as well. Plus when someone mentions something personal or brings up a reason for V/LA and the like, people truly express care and concern which I know appreciate much much more. Plus with the way this community is, I am not afraid to recommend it to people I know in real life to come and join us. I mean some people I went to high school with still stop by this room after me showing them how this game works (Sang and BadWolf mainly, but there was one newbie game that had like 6-7 people from my high school in it.) and people from my college who know about mafia online and are getting more curious with it the more I talk about it.

And finally, I realized how much I have grown as a person and player through playing mafia. I mean hell, I used to use an outburst of emoticons and be incredibly bellicose in the nature of my posts, but with time I've calmed down quite a bit and have come to how I play today. I've been playing mafia for quite some time now that my phone now automatically changes Lunch to Lynch, at to AtE, and even some normal words to people's usernames on this site haha. (Like God/Gosh/Gone will sometimes change to Gorf/Gheb and Kay will change to Kary and etc. etc.) I also feel that I have grown to, as a person, realize the other sides of arguments and try to think how the other person is thinking in present situations. Not to mention, playing mafia has helped me with my persuasive essay writing ability as well haha. It's also increased my typing speed as well especially when you are trying to cram in posts before deadline or you are multi-posting and argument or case at someone.

Anyways, I guess in summary what I would like to say is: Thanks. Thanks for being the people you are on this forum and thanks for all the good/bad memories from games because I feel I would not be the same person I am without it. I'd also like to thank you guys for picking me to go over and be the representative for this site because it has humbled me as a person and truly made me come to the realization that I love the DGames forum and all its players.

Usually I would post a .gif here, but I don't have one in my arsenal to express what I feel which is kind of a first. Haha, sorry for getting all sappy/girly(J-ey?), but I have been wanting to make this post for a bit now and I feel good doing it.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Welp, got ninja'd while making a wall. Guess some things never changed haha.

J how did that super mafia game go?
Guess I answered it in my post, but it went decently. Some people nominated me for Town MvP to play in the ultimate Mafia game, but if I do get chosen, I am going to decline. Overall, unique experience I am glad I did.

outplayed the scum and got shot at night
Haha this a bit. I was shot by town vig though.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Oh some fun facts about that game:

1.) I proudly introduced the acronym HBC and term Hardbody Crew to every player in that game and demonstrated that to some lynches in the game.
2.) Half the cast thought I was a dude, the other half thought I was a chick.
3.) I had some in-game shout-outs to a couple players from this site.
4.) I will never complain about pace/length of a game. The end total pg. count was 100 pgs at 100ppp and that was obnoxious.
5.) People say villagery>towny and wolfy>mafia in like 75% of the player list. A lot didn't know that scum = anti-town faction and had some explaining to do there haha.
6.) I absolutely abhor the game style of having 25+ players in the game. It's just not logical.
7.) N0 actually can change an entire game.

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Aww I love you too J.

Just curious, you said there were shoutouts to some players here. Any to me? :)

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Sorry BSL, but no. :(

I can try and dig some out, but mainly some were like "where is marshy to help me hardbody *******" or "This is kind of a Gheb/Gorf/Zen/Ranmaru/etc.etc.etc." thing to do. I did that a bit and had to keep backspacing when talking to others.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Sorry BSL, but no. :(

I can try and dig some out, but mainly some were like "where is marshy to help me hardbody *****es" or "This is kind of a Gheb/Gorf/Zen/Ranmaru/etc.etc.etc." thing to do. I did that a bit and had to keep backspacing when talking to others.
Yeah I figured. I was hoping someone there would just talk about how much mafia sucked and never posted anything relevant so you could be all like "this is just like the SwagLord BSL from SWF, so you're probably town" or something. You know?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
also as much as I'm against that entire thing on principle, you did a good job J. anything you can say about the skill level that game compared to on here?

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Mother of god
Yeah, no kidding and the actual main reason I would decline the offer to play again.

I'm interested in Thief. Why do you dislike it? : o
Way too linear. It was just nothing compared to the original. (Unlike Wolfenstein which is actually good) The story was meh, the characters were just not well designed (**** the main female side-chick/thing) also there is no room to truly explore which would make the game that much better. You basically just walked in a straight line/path at various times to make sure you didn't get caught and the puzzles were truly easy. It's one of those 50/50 games where you will either love it or you will hate it.

Funny you mentioned Lawrence haha. He got lynched rather quickly tbh.

Also the skill level? Hmm. I would say that a couple players were pretty good and I can see why they were chosen, however, the skill level compared to our site is much different. I would not say it's fair to judge since they all have their different atmosphere's but a lot of them still used old logic to scum-hunt that is "infallible" like AtE = scummy, or Inactivity = scummy or blahblahblah sterotypes. The people I nominated to win MvP on the corresponding sides were the people I felt were truly strong. A majority of the player list was nothing like stellar. I'd put a lot more people on our site higher than that of the ones in that game so I would say stacked up againsst our community, a lot of the players would fall short.

Wordy way of saying, I feel our players on this site are stronger.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Gonna steer away from Thief then. If you're looking for a good stealth game still, try Mark of the Ninja, btw. That one was really enjoyable ^^

Thanks for the reply~

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
So I noticed something about JJBA Part III:
The main protagonists are really manly. Not only that, their stands just seem to be more powerful than their enemies. Although you could argue that there were enemy stands that demonstrated high killing potential (i.e. Tower of Gray when it ripped through people's skulls in the airplane and Dark Moon in the water creating a whirlpool) it seems like their ability to actually fight other stands wasn't demonstrated or was largely ineffective. This almost creates an inversed plot progression moment. Whereas rather than the heroes 'outwitting' the villain, the villains are actually assassins trying to outwit the heroes by trapping them and then trying to pick them off one by one or by targeting their weakness. In this sense, it's the heroes who make themselves susceptible to be trapped, but are so naturally strong that the enemies still die and the heroes come on step closer to achieving their goal. If Joseph Joestar was the embodiment of the inversed hero that was Jonathan Joestar, then the plot of JJBA III could be considered an inversed formula to that of JJBA II. In JJBA II, Joseph was underpowered but had such a high level of battle tenacity that he made things work. The horror is in how powerful the Pillar Men are. That's why suspense for me falls flat in JJBA III. Jotaro's stand Star Platinum can extend his fingers two meters right through the opponnet's skull and is highly effective against enemy stands to the point where it wasn't used only once, but twice in back to back cases where he was trapped. Although one could argue that the Crusaders are outmatched in terms of quantity, if the enemies continue to have stands like Ebony Devil that have the fighting strength of... a wooden doll, then it's hard to feel suspense even if the atmosphere is engrossing.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I personally don't think mafia can be assigned good/bad qualities or exists as a qualitative sort of thing. To me, it's more of a social commentary on the game itself when different communities associate descriptions and identifiers as to what the game is. The fact that mafia can be entirely different from one site to the next is indicative of how amorphous people are to assign meanings and interpretations to even repeated behavior trends. It is interesting to consider how the people who got selected to play were valued in their community and which games their community remembers as being moments of proof that the player they chose was a solid player. Recognition especially is an interesting concept to me in online communities since there is a tendency that people who are simply favored get quickly elevated up the ranks since they get privileges like their opinion being more readily accepted (if it's solid) and have benefits like doc protection or mafia avoiding killing them precisely because they are an attractive PR magnet.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You're quite right. 'Being good' at mafia almost always means being good in the context of the community a player is interacting with - and what is incorrectly looked at as somebody 'improving' is actually merely him/her growing accustomed to the community and its zeitgeist. Most mafia players aren't actually good at 'reading' people, they simply see a discrepancy between their expectations and how somebody actually plays and draw their conclusions.

:059:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
That's actually a very good observation. Kills a lot of the excitement, it does.
It's interesting because JJBA characters are well regarded by the internet community for not needing a power-up i.e. going super saiyan.
They are arguably strong enough as is to actually kill Dio. While the journey is often used in narratives, animes, and works of fiction to depict the characters own journey in facing adversity and changing how they interpret the view the world much like the landscape begins to change around them, the purpose in JJBA is to to use the unfamiliar landscape to challenge the protagonists who have to fight against unfamiliar faces in any situation that they could or could not be well prepared for. Thereby creating the only weakness that the reader would actually believe that the Crusaders would all be killed and fail their mission.

I think that it's clear that JJBA is a manga from a much earlier time because it's clear to the reader that the details of the plot for Stardust were contrived on a weekly basis. New location, new enemy stand, corresponding Tarot Card and there was likely heavy editing on how each of the sub-plot would develop which is why the manga has a very organized pacing format where the progression of the plot can easily be tied with the progression of the enemy stands they fight. I hate Shueisha manga in the sense that it's obvious when they get too involved in certain projects often times resulting in them being ruined.

Jotaro I think is interesting because he's really the most rational option for being the third Jojo character. Jonathan was everything a hero should be: forgiving, strong, and loving. Joseph was everything an anti-hero should be: pragmatic, tenacious, innovative, sarcastic, combative, yet never resorting to doing the wrong thing. Jotaro is the stoic hero, his emotions aren't on his face because they are in his heart. Yeah, that heroic stoicism that is the final ground to really reach a definitive third Jojo that could embody some parts of Jonathan and Joseph into one person. One could argue that Jotaro having both features of Jonathan and Joseph is what makes him so strong, unwavering, and willing to act on the behalf of others and potentially why Star Platinum is such a ridiculously powerful stand that it serves as a detective, a medic, and a fighter.

These aren't points against the series, but rather observations. I borderline love the series because it is different from everything else I've seen so far from Japan. Just disappointed though by its very obvious short comings and the discrepancy between the ambiance Araki is very good at creating, however how wrong it is given how overpowered he makes his Crusaders and demonstrates this as the journey goes on.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
6.) I absolutely abhor the game style of having 25+ players in the game. It's just not logical.
I feel ya on that one. I once played a 100 man game. It was not fun. Plus you know the usual. Ran getting **** on by a million people but realize that he may be townie and scum shooting thinking he's scum.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
lol, naturally J can't even say "seriously, I love you guys." without making it into a wall.

I tried to follow that game all the way through, but I only made it to like, halfway through D1 before I gave up. Props to you for being able to deal with it.

Also, you had to play against Guild and Eden, and for that I am sorry. I've played with/seen those dudes before, they both play on the only other site I've ever played mafia on besides here. TalkingTime mafia is actually what got me interested in mafia, and made we want to try signing up... over here. They're both... ok players.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I wasn't aware that you played the 100 man game.
To be more specific, Politic Mafia on Mafiascum. Dude needed players so I was fine with helping out. Glad I died because I was getting burned out.

J: Deff want to comment more but I will read up to see how you did! Thanks for repping us mang, we knew you could do it! :D I love this community too that's why I stick to it no matter what.

Last edited:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Also, you had to play against Guild and Eden, and for that I am sorry. I've played with/seen those dudes before, they both play on the only other site I've ever played mafia on besides here. TalkingTime mafia is actually what got me interested in mafia, and made we want to try signing up... over here. They're both... ok players.
Guild was a tad obnoxious towards me in the game, but explained it afterwards that he wanted to do so to discredit me because he thought I would be a bigger threat the more the game went on. Very...uhm...hyper guy. Prees Eden I actually did not have much of a problem with, more just posts a whole lot of nothing but he was scum also. Funny how you knew people from the game and they both ended up being scum.

J: Deff want to comment more but I will read up to see how you did! Thanks for repping us mang, we knew you could do it! :D I love this community too that's why I stick to it no matter what.
I think the thanks go out to more you guys than me. I wouldn't read too much.

Also people are keeping on inviting me to their site to play and was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind if I invited some of them over here to play a game or so?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Haha ok.

Yeah I wouldn't mind playing with some of them. We'll just lynch them at first site anyways.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Guild was a tad obnoxious towards me in the game, but explained it afterwards that he wanted to do so to discredit me because he thought I would be a bigger threat the more the game went on. Very...uhm...hyper guy. Prees Eden I actually did not have much of a problem with, more just posts a whole lot of nothing but he was scum also. Funny how you knew people from the game and they both ended up being scum.

I think the thanks go out to more you guys than me. I wouldn't read too much.

Also people are keeping on inviting me to their site to play and was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind if I invited some of them over here to play a game or so?
That sounds about right. Guild is the better player of the two, imo, but he's super unorthodox, and very hit or miss. I've seen him basically carry his team, but I've also seen him basically open the game by going full out, pants on head ********. Eden basically floods the thread with nonsense, and is not nearly as good as he thinks he is. The best thing about his play is that you can always depend on him to be active, and he encourages activity in the games he's in. The one game I played on TT, he was my scummate, and we won that game despite his presence on our team.

It's funny that they were both mafia, and won, because they will never let TalkingTime forget it. In fact, they sent Guild as their representative specifically hoping you guys would get "pants on head Guild", and now he's apparently being tossed around as a candidate for that Ultimate game.

Which reminds me, Guild got lynched due a N0 alignment scan. Please guys, if you have N0 actions in your setup, please don't have an alignment revealing scanner. I can't believe that **** flies.

Last edited:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Guild, I do not think is being pushed for the Ultimate game. Also they only one because of a player named Moocher. He truly had fantastic play and carried his 5 man team, had great distancing and the like.

Plus I got a taste of what it feels like to have your hearstrings pulled at from him.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Which reminds me, Guild got lynched due a N0 alignment scan. Please guys, if you have N0 actions in your setup, please don't have an alignment revealing scanner. I can't believe that **** flies.
Is Alignment scanner just a fancier way of saying "cop who can find indie too", or is there more to it?

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Is Alignment scanner just a fancier way of saying "cop who can find indie too", or is there ore to it?
just the fact that he reveals alignment, and not something more dubious like Flavor, or Power Role. Like, if you're scanning, and the result you get is "Guilty/Not guilty" or "Mafia/Town/Indy" or wutever, that **** is ridonk.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lol that's op. Feel free to bring those two over. Interested in their playstyles meshing with dgames as well.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
It's not OP considering the scum-team Voyeur'd the guy who got N0 bingo'd and therefore the whole scum-team knew their buddy got bingo'd and could create the best paper-trail to make them look good.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
dp/cory/djarm/dwet/jcohen/mchew

anyone else wuld make the room worse. **** a "get anyone ya can!!!" mentality

damn do i be a real ass ***** man

Top Bottom