• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Superman hiding his identity though hasn't been presented an issue with more recent releases of the comic book because he has the physical finesse to change in and out of costume incredibly fast to the point where it is virtually unnoticeable. Especially his presence in JL where he basically exists as Superman running an organization. It shoots the blending point in the foot when you have the ability to switch between identities quickly and also are one of the leading powers in a super hero organization where everyone is costumed up.

Not to mention that the two counter examples he chose were poorly represented in the message he was trying to convey. Batman's alter ego is a millionaire who is always on the news in some way or form. Not to mention that it's debatable after being traumatized as a child which is the real identity because it seems that Batman always carries the emotional baggage that comes with being the Batman while Bruce Wayne appears to carry no emotional scars. Bruce Wayne appears to be the blend in while Batman is the personification of the emotional scars that he still carries as a child. If Bruce was really 'over it' then I don't see why he'd keep up the Batman shtick instead of doubling down as Bruce Wayne to use his massive affluence to influence Gotham to double down on the crime.

Spiderman has some more weight, because concern for family and his love interest makes it crucial that he blend in. Ironically, Spiderman struck me more as a family man that Superman ever could due to his constant concern for how his super hero life would impact his relationship with his wife and aunt.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
No but he would sell his soul to the devil to lose his marriage, make sure his child never will be born all for his aunt who is dying from a gunshot, even though she will die in a few years anyways.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
No but he would sell his soul to the devil to lose his marriage, make sure his child never will be born all for his aunt who is dying from a gunshot, even though she will die in a few years anyways.
But you're talking about Quesada, not spiderman.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Last edited:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I super duper hate browsers and the internet as of late, but I finally have been able to fix things with a little work. Mozilla Firefox is apparently a lifesaver on my computer.

Regarding the super hero debate, I am incredibly biased because I love Captain America. Nothing can really change my mind but that's because of childhood and what he stands for.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Superman hiding his identity though hasn't been presented an issue with more recent releases of the comic book because he has the physical finesse to change in and out of costume incredibly fast to the point where it is virtually unnoticeable. Especially his presence in JL where he basically exists as Superman running an organization. It shoots the blending point in the foot when you have the ability to switch between identities quickly and also are one of the leading powers in a super hero organization where everyone is costumed up.

Not to mention that the two counter examples he chose were poorly represented in the message he was trying to convey. Batman's alter ego is a millionaire who is always on the news in some way or form. Not to mention that it's debatable after being traumatized as a child which is the real identity because it seems that Batman always carries the emotional baggage that comes with being the Batman while Bruce Wayne appears to carry no emotional scars. Bruce Wayne appears to be the blend in while Batman is the personification of the emotional scars that he still carries as a child. If Bruce was really 'over it' then I don't see why he'd keep up the Batman shtick instead of doubling down as Bruce Wayne to use his massive affluence to influence Gotham to double down on the crime.

Spiderman has some more weight, because concern for family and his love interest makes it crucial that he blend in. Ironically, Spiderman struck me more as a family man that Superman ever could due to his constant concern for how his super hero life would impact his relationship with his wife and aunt.
I've never really thought of Batman as "carrying Bruce's emotional baggage". I guess depending on which iteration of Batman you're looking, that may be the case (I'm not super familiar with comics), but Batman seems to be much more mentally stable than Bruce ever has. Batman is everything that Bruce wants to be, but deep down is not (at least in his mind). That's why he often struggles with giving up the cape and cowl. He wants to give it up and move on, but he feels that Batman makes him better. He is the pinnacle of a badass, just, efficient, and brilliant superhero, because he's not real. He is a persona, donned by Bruce Wayne when he wants to escape from his own flaws. Stuff like the Nolan Batman movies having Bruce put on the fake persona of "idiot millionaire" just further complicates the relationship between Bruce and Batman, but I still think it holds true that Batman is not real. He is what Bruce becomes when he wants to be better.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
never been a comicbook/superhero man but all this recent talk has piqued my interest just a little bit, i love the more psychological and realistic approach to the superhero instead of the idealistic one where we look at them like they have no flaws. i'm not saying superman should go around conveying his feelings every moment and being a sad sap for 30 minutes that eventually leads to nothing, but i think superhero's would be more interesting if there was more behind the mask, and if their other 'personas' were fleshed out a bit more. i get that clark kent is not the title of the comic i'm reading, but why would i want to even sit through 20-30 minutes of reading about a dull character who merely is just a critique? why does bruce wayne have to be a mindless millionaire? i understand the whole idea, but i dunno, i feel like if you're going to present moments where Batman's or Superman's alter ego is important, you should do it well.

i suppose that's what makes Batman Begins and Man of Steel different, Bruce Wayne actually feels like he went through a struggle and felt he was built up into the role of Batman, while Superman was always Superman, and instead of focusing the movie on Superman, they focused the movie on Clark Kent, who eventually becomes completely irrelevant once he dons the cape anyways. it's why i don't like the new movie that much tbh

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I can think of one without thinking, and it's Thor.

And then there's j'onn j'onzz. I'll get back to you with more after I think about it

Who cares if he did it first.

Most X-men, for more. They grew up hiding their powers and posing as a normal person.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I actually went to Midtown Comics in NY and got some Batman comics. Won't read 'em till I'm done with the semester or something. I have work to do. #procrastinatin

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
What superhero flips the hero/secret identity dynamic the way Superman does? I can't think of a single one, but even if you can, you can be sure Superman did it first, because it's old as dirt.
There is about a million different hero/secret identity combos. Everything from Darkwing Duck and Hong Kong Phooey to Sailor Moon and the Great Sayaiman to Wonder Woman and Spiderman to the freaking Green Knight from a medieval story. The idea of a secret identity is common and ancient and, I say this as a Superman fan, Clark Kent isn't done any better than Sailor Moon.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
PJB, pretty much any non-human superhero that uses a secret identity flips that dynamic. It's far, far from unique.

In other comic related news, BLACK SCIENCE 5 IN TWO DAYS WOOOOOOO

Seriously, this series is making want to delve into stuff like EC Comics

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
if you're favorite super hero isn't Spider-man or some combination of X-men, I don't know that we have much to talk about.

Or I guess Sailor Moon if we're counting that and why not.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I don't think I have a favorite super hero. I have never really thought about that.

I especially have a hard time when I'm asked "What is your favorite videogame?" and i"m like... crap.

Even with food. I don't know. I just pick the most solid choice to say as my fave but it isn't really.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Dude, circus, Spiderman and the X-men are literally my favorite superheroes from my childhood. Favorite X-men? (Gambit ftw)

Right behind Batman. I loved me some batman as a kid. I didn't even hate Batman & Robin when it came out. I'm not gonna sit here and defend it as a great movie (it's terrible), but I thought it was cool when I was a kid, because I like Mr. Freeze, and it's Batman. The animated series of Batman ftw.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I am going to look into that, actually. (since I study social work, I have to consider that)

I know that Lynden Johnson did very well because he played the game of "I NEED TO BE THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER"

and that Teddy Rosevelt did well due to compromise.

So if I did do that I would simply play it as a game while compromising until I get my hidden agenda solved.

Meaning I would have a hidden agenda behind that smiley fake ****.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I am going to look into that, actually. (since I study social work, I have to consider that)

I know that Lynden Johnson did very well because he played the game of "I NEED TO BE THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER"

and that Teddy Rosevelt did well due to compromise.

So if I did do that I would simply play it as a game while compromising until I get my hidden agenda solved.

Meaning I would have a hidden agenda behind that smiley fake ****.
You would fit right in

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Dude, circus, Spiderman and the X-men are literally my favorite superheroes from my childhood. Favorite X-men? (Gambit ftw)
Literally me. Gambit was the dude. Though I also loved some Beast, as well as Rogue (the "I hurt everything I touch" **** got to me).

Right behind Batman. I loved me some batman as a kid. I didn't even hate Batman & Robin when it came out. I'm not gonna sit here and defend it as a great movie (it's terrible), but I thought it was cool when I was a kid, because I like Mr. Freeze, and it's Batman. The animated series of Batman ftw.
See, I always loved the Gotham universe, because Batman does definitely have some of the best villains, and the most interesting setting. But Batman was an individual really never intrigued me a bunch. Always dug Robin though. Always been a pretty empowering yet tragic figure.

Last edited:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Hey guys been a while hasn't it. Fun fact, I stepped down from modding because the new site layout removed the Red Name and just gave us a Red Banner and I thought that was lame that my name didn't match up with my sweet Hawkgirl avatar. So I retired modding. And then they freaking brought back the colored names, so I'm thinking about taking up my position again and getting motivated about actually doing my job.

ALSO related, I think I'm finally ready to host my AGame.

and also guys i think i need some help. you see i'm having some girl problems...

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
You guys bring back classic blue, and don't give debaters the pinks names?

How the **** am I supposed to feel special now?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I hope they keep this layout, or at least make it an option. It actually feels like 2010 in here.

Top Bottom