• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Dude if that's your list then I promise that is SO not the problem man. Not tryna promote illegals, but I've done quite a bit of experimenting and can claim to being MUCH more stable mentally than some of my non illegal doing irl acquaintances. It may be ADHD though.

Edit I always seem to get top page lol

@J you know the show little shop of horrors?

Double edit @ all my euro players out there, i know the generally accepted term for "college" across the pond is "uni," but what do you call it if it's a school that's not a university? Like, I go to Miami Dade College. That's not a university, so it can't be called "uni." What's it called?

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Double edit @ all my euro players out there, i know the generally accepted term for "college" across the pond is "uni," but what do you call it if it's a school that's not a university? Like, I go to Miami Dade College. That's not a university, so it can't be called "uni." What's it called?
In the Netherlands, we have a more complicated system.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Dutch_Education_System-en.svg [open the image for a white backgrund which is honestly better]

People who finish VMBO generally go to MBO (or the job market), which is basically extended high school to be fair. It's easy as **** and you won't get far with it.

People who finish HAVO generally go to HBO and I would translate that as college. We don't use "college" though.

People who finish VWO generally go to WO which I would call university, because it's actually called university over here.
There's also a level above VWO which is called Gymnasium but won't get you in any sort of different education. It just teaches you ancient greek and ancient latin and looks good on your papers etc. Some cities don't have gymnasiums though!
There're also levels below VMBO which basically means you're not fit for education whatsoever.

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

Dude that system is really... Guided. Idk I don't like the education system here but I feel like that's more intense with grouping.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Yeah as someone who's been in Gymnasium, VWO, and HAVO, it's really segregated. Generally, havo doesn't talk with vwo, etc etc. Gymnasium and VWO doesn't even mix even though the only difference is two subjects.
There is a big difference though. People in gymnasium are usually overachievers. People who study a lot and are book smart. They don't always have good insight but they're just good at studying.
VWO is a mixed bag. It's filled with people good at studying but also people who have good insight and put in juuuust enough work to pass.
HAVO is just... people aren't as smart. There are a few outcasts who are smart but do nothing about school. I've seen people who study a lot but just can't get good grades. People are a lot stronger socially though, fwiw.

I started in Gymnasium, after which I dropped to VWO because I don't care for ancient greek/latin, didn't want to spend that time at school. Cruised through a few years of VWO, then skipped too much school to pass some courses. Didn't want to stay in school too long by repeating that grade, so I went to HAVO instead. Put in almost no time, probably like 10-20 hours the entire school year and still passed.

People really do generally get education that fits them though. It's nice.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I don't find anything wrong with a tiered education system which encourages all the S-tier students to dedicate themselves to ancient greek and latin.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I need to finish FFTA before I can judge it vs FFT, I do prefer the war of the lions version far more than the PS1 version since the plot and translations are far better, along with some cutscenes and new classes.

I do agree with Raz on the difficulty curve of FFT though, almost all of my friends I got to play that game tells me about Dorter and how much of a spike that was.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
america's education system compared to that seems terrible because at least it seems orderly but in america it's just a goose chase because sometimes even if you study and all get all a's and etc. you still could end up in the same place as the guy who did none of that

people overhype college so much these days it makes me sick, it's a piece of paper, not a ticket to a successful job and a career, my grandma got a master's degree and she ended up working for the dollar general most of her life, and being a substite teacher the other

haha let's not even mention how expensive college is and how unreliable FAFSA is

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If your going into IT like I am, college is pretty dang important. I wouldn't know how I work with an OS system, Database or how to properly handle support tickets if I didn't.

#HBC | ѕoup

If your going into IT like I am, college is pretty dang important. I wouldn't know how I work with an OS system, Database or how to properly handle support tickets if I didn't.
yeah but like once you're done with college what's next to me it just feels like 4 years wasted on something you might not even want to do but im not gonna call everyone who does go to college as stupid or wasting their time because hey it works well when it does work but i dunno the majority seems like they get the short end of the stick

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Actually a lot of what I am doing for IT does require me to know a lot of general skills, I can't just main in one unless I work for like Riot Games and work on handling problems other players have with connecting or something.

The reason IT is general, like I am learning is because there is a lot you can do with it, especially with knowing how to work with an OS system.

Not saying some degrees that can't be true but with IT you really need a general skill set that college does teach.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

Actually a lot of what I am doing for IT does require me to know a lot of general skills, I can't just main in one unless I work for like Riot Games and work on handling problems other players have with connecting or something.

The reason IT is general, like I am learning is because there is a lot you can do with it, especially with knowing how to work with an OS system.

Not saying some degrees that can't be true but with IT you really need a general skill set that college does teach.
i honestly thought about getting into IT, how are your experiences so far with it?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Also idunno about America but you'll never ever get a half decent job in the Netherlands without a college degree. We invest a lot in education because one of our main export products is well educated people. Students here can apply for a loan for college, which you will get for free if you finish it within 5 (6?) years. A normal degree takes 4 years. You can also request additional loans. You qualify for even more loans if you don't live with your parents. If your parents make less money you get more too. I'm in the lower-end spectrum and I loan everything which comes down to about 1k euros a month. 400 of that goes to the rent, 150 to college, 100 to health care. I save up whenever I can but in general I'm cool. If I finish my degree within the time period, about 40-50% of that loan will be gone. Because of all this, you can't really apply without a degree, because there will almost always be someone with a degree out there who will be trusted more than you to work well.

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

I hate college haters. You're there for the education, if you don't want it don't get it. I'm personally glad I have it cuz of what courses offer in music that I'd otherwise not have been interested in self teaching. It's the guidance and education that you should reach for. That's why school exists lol

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
JFYI Ran, I removed your drug references from the last page of posts. You're not supposed to talk about using/consuming 'em.

No punishment, just a verbal warning.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Also idunno about America but you'll never ever get a half decent job in the Netherlands without a college degree. We invest a lot in education because one of our main export products is well educated people. Students here can apply for a loan for college, which you will get for free if you finish it within 5 (6?) years. A normal degree takes 4 years. You can also request additional loans. You qualify for even more loans if you don't live with your parents. If your parents make less money you get more too. I'm in the lower-end spectrum and I loan everything which comes down to about 1k euros a month. 400 of that goes to the rent, 150 to college, 100 to health care. I save up whenever I can but in general I'm cool. If I finish my degree within the time period, about 40-50% of that loan will be gone. Because of all this, you can't really apply without a degree, because there will almost always be someone with a degree out there who will be trusted more than you to work well.
Many jobs require a degree or at least a certification of some sort. However, over the past decade or so, the market is becoming more and more flooded with people that have certain degrees. That means you need to go even further and get your masters degree to get a job.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I hate college haters. You're there for the education, if you don't want it don't get it. I'm personally glad I have it cuz of what courses offer in music that I'd otherwise not have been interested in self teaching. It's the guidance and education that you should reach for. That's why school exists lol
I think that many go into a program that costs them around five figures of debt that they aren't able to pay off, resulting in them having expectations that they will get a job that is able to pay off the incurred debt. However, that fails to materialize given the situation of the economy and many are forced to compromise before they are able to land a job like that.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Keep in mind that I pointed this out because Gorf's argument is a Kantian perspective that college provides 'guidance' and 'education.' However, the problem cited by students is the cost associated with going to school. Certain non-traditional students who try to get a degree when they are older have to compromise their current work situation to take a leave to get a degree. They take an opportunity cost that the four plus years spent in college is going to result in bigger returns for their future than if they stayed in their current work environment and tried to climb the ladder without a degree. The other cost if of course the price of the education itself which can also have opportunity like ramifications. Taking on debt in order to go to school could have been spent furthering their future in other aspects such as opening a business or some other entrepreneurial endeavor. Ultimately people's lives pan out differently based on opportunities offered to them as individuals which can influence how they viewed their commitment to education.

#HBC | Gorf

I think that many go into a program that costs them around five figures of debt that they aren't able to pay off, resulting in them having expectations that they will get a job that is able to pay off the incurred debt. However, that fails to materialize given the situation of the economy and many are forced to compromise before they are able to land a job like that.
That's a flawed expectation to have, don't you think? It's the adults responsibility to research and prepare themselves for how to succeed in living, don't you think? How to succeed and what succeeding IS varies from person to person. Wanna have a wife and kids as your goal to strive for? Make solid money and marry a woman you love. That's the easiest way to sum that equation up, right? From there fill in the blanks man. Don't do things that'll deter you and you'll become successful. Wanna contribute to a higher cause, like the arts or science? Take the appropriate steps to get an understanding of it, and give that field what you think it deserves. Do you need college for whatever that may be? That's up to the person. I appreciate college and the cost it may cost (I'm going free now), but if things change the education may not be worth it or necessary anymore, and that's my point. Our society is flawed with the perspective that college is necessary to be successful. Does it help? It sure can, but it shouldn't feel like it's necessary.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
That's a flawed expectation to have, don't you think? It's the adults responsibility to research and prepare themselves for how to succeed in living, don't you think? How to succeed and what succeeding IS varies from person to person. Wanna have a wife and kids as your goal to strive for? Make solid money and marry a woman you love. That's the easiest way to sum that equation up, right? From there fill in the blanks man. Don't do things that'll deter you and you'll become successful. Wanna contribute to a higher cause, like the arts or science? Take the appropriate steps to get an understanding of it, and give that field what you think it deserves. Do you need college for whatever that may be? That's up to the person. I appreciate college and the cost it may cost (I'm going free now), but if things change the education may not be worth it or necessary anymore, and that's my point. Our society is flawed with the perspective that college is necessary to be successful. Does it help? It sure can, but it shouldn't feel like it's necessary.
I'm guessing you didn't need to take out any loans for your tuition.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I've never seen a student debt loan that was so heavy as to be life ruining that was based on a well-founded decision originally.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I've never seen a student debt loan that was so heavy as to be life ruining that was based on a well-founded decision originally.
Depends on what loans you receive. If it is Stafford loans then there is no interest built up until graduation. However, if government loans aren't sufficient to completely cover tuition then some people need to borrow money from an outside loan company like Sally Mae that can start at a 7% interest rate and go increasingly higher depending on your credit rating and other conditions. It also depends on where you live. If you are able to live in with your folks post graduation then that cuts on costs. But trying to afford a place to live in the coastal states can get incredibly pricey to the point where you're going under when it comes time to pay the loans.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Someone who is taking loans with interest attached wouldn't have written the post that Gorf just wrote though. I'm not discrediting the post. It's just that there is a big difference between the people who experience first hand what it is like to feel like they are in the middle of losing out on a big investment, another for people who are aware that they need to be doing something before they lose out on a big investment, and another for people who don't have a lot to lose on their investment and are concerned about the gains.

#HBC | Gorf

I'm guessing you didn't need to take out any loans for your tuition.
I'm 19, so for the moment, no loans. And if I get to a point where I either start taking out loans or don't go to school, I'll decide that when I get there. But school is something you HAVE to go to, which is my point.

Edit dude J I'm conducting the show for my local theatre and the director is a ****ing idiot. ***** is treating this like it's ****ing Sweeny Todd, it's almost like the whole point is going right over her head. I also personally think the music is lame, but I wish you can sit in for a rehearsal dude this ****s hilarious.

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

Like they're making that **** out to be creepy. That's one of the funniest ****ing scenes and they think it's supposed to be dark. That music is anything BUT dark.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
To be honest, making that musical scary would completely destroy the magic of the show. It's supposed to be quirky and fun. It's kind of like trying to make Rocky Horror Picture Show an actual horror.

Dude, bad directors suck, sorry to hear about it.

#HBC | Gorf

It's ****ing ridiculous man! Like how can you completely miss the whole purpose of the show? At least the lines are funny, so people who watch will laugh.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
I love little shop of horrors, its great. The original ending was extremely silly, but it dragged on for too long.

Also about a week ago I finally reached the last Hunter Rank in Monster Hunter, now I can hunt ANYTHING.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I love little shop of horrors, its great. The original ending was extremely silly, but it dragged on for too long.

Also about a week ago I finally reached the last Hunter Rank in Monster Hunter, now I can hunt ANYTHING.
False. There are higher requirements. Like abyssal lagiacrus, which requires 75. Keep on keepin on.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
on the topic of the education system in america, specifically upper division colleges and universities, some feel that it is simply a bubble semblant of other economic bubbles in the past; i know of many peers that have yet to attain a job despite having a bachelor's degree and other various qualifications, none of which are visibly inherently flawed. presumably this generation missed the party in terms of academia and the purpose it serves in the real world in comparison to the prior century all the while riding illusions of grandeur and success.

i mean, when you really think about it, a degree IS a piece of paper that can be attained fairly easily if you know how to play the system, but the end result typically yields lackluster experience in terms of the workforce. regardless of whether or not you actually have a degree, you still need work experience and to truly know how to apply your credential. there's no escaping being a grunt at first it seems unless you are stellar and are passionate enough about your choice field. for others, education was or is a matter of abusing short term memory and essentially forgetting it all upon receiving credentials in the hopes of landing a high paying job regardless of their lack of passion...and then they are left with a piece of paper. regardless, i feel that an education system of sorts is still necessary and always will be, but the credentials need to be harder to attain and tailored towards specific roles as a means of more effectively preparing people for the real world so that said credentials actually mean something and are immediately applicable. additionally, simplification of the course material and converting lessons into real-world applications as opposed to concentrating predominantly on theory could yield for additional and more pleasant results for those investing their money into the system.

then again, that would only encourage sheepish behavior and wouldn't directly promote intuition or thinking outside the box. or would it? it's a curious thing, really. it's just legitimately lame to see all these people i know fall short of success after achieving their degree, which is why i'd like to see the system changed.

there's also the people who decide to attain bachelor's degrees in history or political science, but end up never following up with a degree in law. some majors simply aren't highly applicable and don't pay well; where's the monetary incentive unless you're in the top 10% percentile of your botany major? are you content with becoming a teacher considering everything you hear about regarding their atypical pay? was the student loan debt truly worth it?

as for me, i happen to be of the lucky sort with a mother who is a bit of a work horse in accounting/business management, which happens to be my choice major. subsequently, i will be able to make use of this resource and will probably not be weeded out since landing internships/job experience isn't difficult on my end. i'm aiming for practicality with my degree because developing an applicable vocational skill while seeking out passion is an inherent reality for those seeking to survive...most of the time. but i do sometimes wonder just how applicable this degree will be, and if it's all actually going to be worth it in the end, and if i'll actually be passionate about the job/s i get. but i do know one thing: there ain't no gettin' offa this train i'm on so long as the feasible reality of a well paying job is at the end of the line.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
My manager is putting in the paperwork for a $2 pay-raise after a performance review this morning at my part-time job. The manager asked me for my pay grade at my full-time place and said he would see if he could raise my pay to see if he could get me to switch back and work full time for him i.e. beat their hourly rate. He also gave me the highest tier of performance while I marked my self-evaluation for one tier below that. I wasn't expecting the pay raise since I'm only working there part time so I feel ****ing euphoric right now. The only thing is, I was so ready to submit a two weeks notice because working and studying was beginning to seriously stress me out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom