• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
**** Gau.

Farming Rages was really annoying and tedious and random and....

I could just use Sabin and Air Slash/Bumrush everything.

My best party members by the end of it were.... Raena (Terra), Sophie (Celes), Iggy (Sabin), Kevin (Edgar), Alex (Setzer), Raziek (Shadow) and Ryker (Locke) in no particular order. Marshy (Cyan) was useful early, and had some niche use with Oblivion later on, but was just kinda middling most of the time. Would've been a thousand times better if you didn't have to wait for the Bushido ATB gauge. Gova (Gogo) was a ghetto Sabin for me, Circus (Mog) was really useful for me, but I started using him less because he kept freaking tripping and I disliked the randomness. Xonar (Relm) and Stew (Strago) were just kinda second-rate mages compared to Raena/Sophie. Recruited Umaro but never used him.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Sounds like u played Gau wrong. If you Rage Templar in the early game, you're literally casting Fire2 magic long before any of your other characters have even started learning magic (minus Terra and Celes, but they don't have lvl2 spells). You will almost certainly have this rage, because they're a required fight, and it's pretty goddamn likely they'll appear on the Veldt.

If you also just grab Stray Cat, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. He can either attack, or attack for 4x damage. When you get to the World of Ruin, give him a Merit Award, and now he can use weapons. His attack power goes crazy. Give him the Offering, he attacks 4 times, sometimes those 4 hits are hitting for 4x damage. Give him the Tempest, sometimes those hits hit everything on screen, sometimes for 4x damage, 4 times. He's also one of the few characters who can wear the Snow Muffler, which is the best armor in the game.

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
two ff7 runs by ruy/kev and ff6 just completed by raz

my etrian odyssey 4 run starring myself kevinm nabe stoobie and zozo has been abandoned

i remember someone doing a pogeymans run a longass time ago

so whos up to bat on the next installment of dgames does rpgs?

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Doing Bravely Default at the moment. Game has a really solid battle system and theory team crafting is really fun. Game started strong, but problems with padding/content arise on chapter 5 and on. Still pretty good.

If I have time I might do another SMT4 run since I got Law ending on the first run, and Law endings are always terrible.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
will run soulsilver
alternatively will blind run tales of the abyss seeing as i got it for 3ds and haev yet to complete it (playing SMT 4 at the moment)
You can't rename characters in Tales games. Abyss is good though, even though it's a little too long. My brother and I played it cooperatively, which is probably the best game in the series to play that way.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Sounds like u played Gau wrong. If you Rage Templar in the early game, you're literally casting Fire2 magic long before any of your other characters have even started learning magic (minus Terra and Celes, but they don't have lvl2 spells). You will almost certainly have this rage, because they're a required fight, and it's pretty goddamn likely they'll appear on the Veldt.

If you also just grab Stray Cat, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. He can either attack, or attack for 4x damage. When you get to the World of Ruin, give him a Merit Award, and now he can use weapons. His attack power goes crazy. Give him the Offering, he attacks 4 times, sometimes those 4 hits are hitting for 4x damage. Give him the Tempest, sometimes those hits hit everything on screen, sometimes for 4x damage, 4 times. He's also one of the few characters who can wear the Snow Muffler, which is the best armor in the game.
You see, I don't understand the point of this. Any instruction into an RPG from someone who has completed it is completely breaking it. Like if someone says, I just got beat by Boss X, a person who has completed the game may know his weakness or attack pattern. But that messes up the game flow. Idk if it's just me, but I died on a boss in Tactics because 80% of his tactics were to stone and doom my players. However, I didn't run to the nearest town on my Game Over to buy rings that block stone status. I tried to beat the same boss without changing equipment and I won the second time. However, totally prepping for a boss for me loses the edge on the game. I feel entitled to win every battle I prep for, however the point of boss battles imo was to get shock value from fighting the unexpected and replicating that feeling and adapting with what you got is the most true to form way of engaging them in a given game.

But sharing in-game information is a kind gesture. Although FF6 seems like one of those games where when you start to come to utilizing game breaking combinations, the edge is completely gone.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Translation: People who actually use Gau are ****s. Go play Maplestory so you can watch the numbers.
I hated FF 12 because of all the fuss over getting an overpowered end of game weapon within the early game. That and the instanced items in chests that give you a range of every weapon possibility from really bad to good enough to use two temples later. It was impossible without research to know under which conditions you could reset the items inside the chests and what the rates were for getting each item. I understand that there were some carry over influence from FF 11 in there, but it shouldn't have implemented for weapon drops. Especially when the variable outcome had such a large impact on game play down the line. I found the game disengaging on many levels and never bothered with the franchise or the system after the PS 2.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Doing Bravely Default at the moment. Game has a really solid battle system and theory team crafting is really fun. Game started strong, but problems with padding/content arise on chapter 5 and on. Still pretty good.

If I have time I might do another SMT4 run since I got Law ending on the first run, and Law endings are always terrible.
Both endings suck in SMT 4.

I did Chaos and it isn't really any better, and the neutral one is way more hassle than it's worth.

I just liked Chaos because the whole "casual genocide of non- believers" thing on the law side was pretty lame.

Last edited:

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Both endings suck in SMT 4.

I did Chaos and it isn't really any better, and the neutral one is way more hassle than it's worth.

I just liked Chaos because the whole "casual genocide of non- believers" thing on the law side was pretty lame.
Oh i figured, usually SMT games, at least the first and fourth have their neutral endings be the most complete. That just kind of a personal inside joke against Law endings cause they are always just a terrible faction. I heard getting Neutral in this one its actually quite hard and you actually need to be leaning to one alignment before that "point of no return" cause otherwise you will get either chaos or law again.

Something interesting about this though, is that I usually tend to get the Law ending in this games despite hating the faction because I try to answer truthfully through the game. I don't agree with the "great scope" that the Law side usually has in these games, but I agree with the little tidbits that actually lead you to be Law aligned, for example sparing someone instead of finishing them off.

Its almost the opposite with chaos in that while I don't agree with their end goals either, at least I understand the motivations of that side a bit better, but the way you get to be chaos aligned usually endorses stuff I wouldn't normally do.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Oh i figured, usually SMT games, at least the first and fourth have their neutral endings be the most complete. That just kind of a personal inside joke against Law endings cause they are always just a terrible faction. I heard getting Neutral in this one its actually quite hard and you actually need to be leaning to one alignment before that "point of no return" cause otherwise you will get either chaos or law again.

Something interesting about this though, is that I usually tend to get the Law ending in this games despite hating the faction because I try to answer truthfully through the game. I don't agree with the "great scope" that the Law side usually has in these games, but I agree with the little tidbits that actually lead you to be Law aligned, for example sparing someone instead of finishing them off.

Its almost the opposite with chaos in that while I don't agree with their end goals either, at least I understand the motivations of that side a bit better, but the way you get to be chaos aligned usually endorses stuff I wouldn't normally do.
I can understand that. The ones I have played have led to me ending up aligning with different factions, but usually Chaos. I usually tend to oppose the rigidness offered by the Law options, Strange Journey being the exception.

Strange Journey: Law
Devil Survivor: Chaos (Naoya)
Devil Survivor 2: Chaos...ish? Meritocracy (Yamato)
SMT4: Chaos

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
It's decent, but it's LONG, and the story is a pretty minor aspect of things. It's mostly just a dungeon crawler.

Took me around 80 hours just to beat the game. Last boss is stupid hard.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Well that's about what I expected. Most SMT games except for the persona ones are like that. Not much emphasis on actual plot and the characters are usually used to represent ideologies. Even SMT 4 which had more focus on characters and story than other SMT was still largely like that.

80 hours sounds a lot more than I expected though, looking good.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I tend to lean towards the more character-oriented stories of Persona and Devil Survivor, so 80 hours felt like it dragged on a lot for the same kind of gameplay. I thought I was gonna be done, and then the game took another 30 hours.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Back during Walmart mafia me and RR discussed renaming ToV characters to fit Dgamers and our agreed upon list ended up looking like this:

Yuri - KevinM
Estelle - J
Repede - RR
Karl - no one because that's insulting
Rita - WashedLaundry
Raven - EE
Judith - Sold

Actually now that I think about it EE as Raven is totally off, sorry RR. =(

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Back during Walmart mafia me and RR discussed renaming ToV characters to fit Dgamers and our agreed upon list ended up looking like this:

Yuri - KevinM
Estelle - J
Repede - RR
Karl - no one because that's insulting
Rita - WashedLaundry
Raven - EE
Judith - Sold

Actually now that I think about it EE as Raven is totally off, sorry RR. =(
But you can't rename anyone in those games!

and besides, Judith would be Nabe. Raven would probably be OS or something. Who's actually the oldest DGamer?
and yea, Karol is basically the worst.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
But you can't rename anyone in those games!

and besides, Judith would be Nabe. Raven would probably be OS or something. Who's actually the oldest DGamer?
and yea, Karol is basically the worst.
You CAN rename the characters so that your rename shows up in text, but in audio everyone will still refer to that character by their default name (for obvious reasons).

Agree with Nabe being Judith. Having Stew be Judith results from the mindset of always associating big boobs with Stew.

Last edited:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
You CAN rename the characters so that your rename shows up in text, but in audio everyone will still refer to that character by their default name (for obvious reasons).

Agree with Nabe being Judith. Having Stew be Judith results from the mindset of always associating big boobs with Stew.
can't really endorse this
mostly because i don't understand her hair

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Raz what in the world made you make me Strago do I look like an old fool to you? Though I can respect the idea that I have to protect little Xonar from getting into trouble.

Sworddancer has 10/10 taste making me prettiest girl in the party in ToV.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Raz what in the world made you make me Strago do I look like an old fool to you? Though I can respect the idea that I have to protect little Xonar from getting into trouble.

Sworddancer has 10/10 taste making me prettiest girl in the party in ToV.
Well, I asked Xonar who would be his over-protective Grandpa, and he said it was you, so....

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I'm in Vampire Castle trying to get the asterisk while I'm in chapter 4, but even just the random encounters hit so hard that I'm nervous to try. I've heard through the caverns of the internet that Chapter 5 is stupidly padded, so maybe I'm kind of just trying to put it off.

Also, lucky thing I trained up a Time Mage early on, since either Slow World or Stillness is practically a requirement to beat the keystone dragons unless you want to scrub through it with 4xNinjas.

Love the game overall though. Actually been putting together a mafia setup based on it.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
I'm in Vampire Castle trying to get the asterisk while I'm in chapter 4, but even just the random encounters hit so hard that I'm nervous to try. I've heard through the caverns of the internet that Chapter 5 is stupidly padded, so maybe I'm kind of just trying to put it off.

Also, lucky thing I trained up a Time Mage early on, since either Slow World or Stillness is practically a requirement to beat the keystone dragons unless you want to scrub through it with 4xNinjas.

Love the game overall though. Actually been putting together a mafia setup based on it.
You can also use the templar Job against the dragons, Rampart will block one physical attack to each party member. Chapter 5 and 6 have ridicolous padding, 7 and 8 are a bit better about it though, specially 8.

A mafia set-up on this would be nice, wonder if it would be possible to balance to have people stack votes on the game. For example, if you don't vote in a day-phase and "default" you get two votes the following day that you don't necessarily need to use up at once. Sounds really interesting in theory, but really hard to balance. Would lead to lots of no-lynches if everyone chooses to default.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You can also use the templar Job against the dragons, Rampart will block one physical attack to each party member.
Yeah, I've been training up Edea as a Templar since I got it. Rampart is great, but it was too taxing on BP without Slow World stalling out the dragon a bit (I've been considering training her up in Red Mage enough to get Revenge just to try to cover this a bit). If the dragon ever decided to do a Breath attack twice in a row, I'd pretty much be screwed because I couldn't heal fast enough. Plus, having Slow World basically neutralized the Eye debuffs which netted me a free turn or two.

A mafia set-up on this would be nice, wonder if it would be possible to balance to have people stack votes on the game. For example, if you don't vote in a day-phase and "default" you get two votes the following day that you don't necessarily need to use up at once. Sounds really interesting in theory, but really hard to balance. Would lead to lots of no-lynches if everyone chooses to default.
That would be the idea, yeah. Would certainly need to scale it back from the real game, probably only allowing players to store up 1 BP at the most, and only be in dept 1 BP at the most. But I think it could make for some cool strategies and allows for unique roles.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've been training up Edea as a Templar since I got it. Rampart is great, but it was too taxing on BP without Slow World stalling out the dragon a bit (I've been considering training her up in Red Mage enough to get Revenge just to try to cover this a bit). If the dragon ever decided to do a Breath attack twice in a row, I'd pretty much be screwed because I couldn't heal fast enough. Plus, having Slow World basically neutralized the Eye debuffs which netted me a free turn or two.
You could try getting Hasten World (Level 14 Time Magi) on your Templar. It gives you 2 BP per turn, 3 if you default. I forgot what the trade-off was, I think it allowed the enemy two have to moves per turn without needing to brave. Never used it though

I relied on rampart and the Ninja dodge move to avoid damage. I had a spirit master to heal/raise anyone who went down and Agnes as a black mage dealing most of the damage. I had the ability on my templar that raised his speed to max for the next turn if he defaulted, which allowed me to use put rampart before they used the breaths, easy to telegraph as they will usually use their "weak to element" move the turn before using their breath attacks. Gave the templar some hermes sandals too, to compesate for his slower speed.

That would be the idea, yeah. Would certainly need to scale it back from the real game, probably only allowing players to store up 1 BP at the most, and only be in dept 1 BP at the most. But I think it could make for some cool strategies and allows for unique roles.
Up to one BP in both positive and negative sounds about easier to balance. Very interested in the setup, looking forward to when you create it.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I had an old Chrono Trigger DGames run that I sadly never finished because my Laptop had problems and died on me with the file on it. :(
I can understand that. The ones I have played have led to me ending up aligning with different factions, but usually Chaos. I usually tend to oppose the rigidness offered by the Law options, Strange Journey being the exception.

Strange Journey: Law
Devil Survivor: Chaos (Naoya)
Devil Survivor 2: Chaos...ish? Meritocracy (Yamato)
SMT4: Chaos
Law? Really? Law??? Enjoy being YHVH's whipping boy. Neutrality is the light. Chaos is too..well, chaos for me. I'd rather rely on mankind and humanity than supernatural beings.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I'm starting to think strategy/turn-based RPGs are my favorite kind of games. I always seem more reluctant to finish them as I just get engrossed with the idea of power leveling and stat boosting, also the satisfaction of devising strategies and other stuff like that. It's just a lot of fun to me.

That being said, someone suggest me good RPGs that I haven't played yet? I'm aware of Tales, SMT, Persona, Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Paper Mario, TWEWY, Golden Sun, etc. Granted that I haven't exactly played every game from each series, but I digress.

For some reason, I don't like Final Fantasy. I've never played it but I could never see myself getting into it. I understand that they're probably great games (not counting the horror that is XIII) but they just never appealed to me. I wouldn't know where to start really and call me whatever you like but the FF7 aesthetic and graphics really turn me off.

I really want to play Bravely Default however. I hate not having a 3DS.

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Play the Final Fantasy Tactics series.

The new XCOM is also really good from what I've heard.

edit: RADIANT HISTORIA THO; good game you should play it

Last edited:
Top Bottom