• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DG Archive & MVPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Marshy, did you want to explicitly handle the MVP's?

I can do some if you'd like, just don't want to step on your toes.

Should be too much of a problem as long as you're including the game on the award note.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
...there are award notes?

i should be able to put you/s2 on the control panel this weekend granted i can talk to the powers that be at any rate

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
oh word

yeah feel free to give em out as needed man if im understanding your question correctly

EDIT and ill do them explicitly if it helps

Overswarm

is laughing at you
no MVP for The Wall

Although both Seph and No Hetero had solid play as honorable mentions

John2k4

The End of an Era
Okay, thought on it for two days (and did an entire re-read of the game).

PB/BAM MvP: Ruy/BarBelL

Both played exceptionally well; Ruy would have had things locked down if not for a couple throws, and BarBelL was the ScumMaster throughout. Good job to both.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Okay, thought on it for two days (and did an entire re-read of the game).

PB/BAM MvP: Ruy/BarBelL

Both played exceptionally well; Ruy would have had things locked down if not for a couple throws, and BarBelL was the ScumMaster throughout. Good job to both.
I don't have a problem with Bardull, but really.... Ruy shouldn't be getting MvP for that.

His faction lost, and none of the other players in the game (including Ruy himself) suggested or agreed with Ruy MvP.

I'm going to let Marshy award it if he feels it should be done, but I don't think awarding MvP to Ruy is the right call here.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I think you are overstepping your bounds a bit, Raz. John was the mod of his game and decided to give both Bardull/RR MvP. I don't think it's fair for you to decide which mod's choices for MvP are applicable or not, regardless of my stance on the MvP of that game.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That's fine, I'm just not going to personally award it. I'm aware that's gonna make people mad, but I'm not the one who usually awards these things. Marshy can do it.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
But you are actively choosing to award MvP to Bardull even if you say it's not your job normally...?

This is a silly argument that I'm not going to have.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Alright I'll voice my opinion here, since this has been on my mind.

I did a complete re-read of the game, looking specifically for good play (for MvP). I feel confident in my picks.

I understand that there will be disagreements, etc, and I respect all of that and peoples opinions.

I will stand by my picks, and did a ton of reading just to pick them.

Mastermind

RykEEr
"If things had gone a little differently"

it's kind of the job of a town MVP to make things "go differently"... that is, y'know, to make the "different" things happen that will win the game

if you didn't get the job done you didn't gorfdamn get the job done

/too lazy to switch accounts

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Alright I'll voice my opinion here, since this has been on my mind.

I did a complete re-read of the game, looking specifically for good play (for MvP). I feel confident in my picks.

I understand that there will be disagreements, etc, and I respect all of that and peoples opinions.

I will stand by my picks, and did a ton of reading just to pick them.
Not saying you are wrong, as I haven't read the game, but be careful to not confuse MVP with "playing much better than normal". I don't know the whole situation, so I can't give any more insight than that. It may not even be relevant.

BarDulL

Town Vampire

Yeah, it was cool getting it. My only qualm with it is that I know I still have a lot of room to improve, but I think I've improved enough to the point where I feel comfortable having red dice.

Time will tell.

Swiss

Smash Lord
Trust me Bardull dice don't mean ****. So just take 'em when you get 'em.

The things I've seen from red and golds...

2 MVP's and someone is gold status. Looks cool but almost meaningless.

/back to lurking & acting like I'm better than everyone else

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
FYI, John, saying "I respect everyone's opinion" and then ignoring the points and arguments they raise ... you think that's being the nice guy, but it isn't, man. It's just dismissing the idea that you should have to justify your decisions when they are put under scrutiny and questioned. I get the intent which is to be nice to everyone at the same time, but it's not doing that, it's deciding that your decisions are above the analysis or opinion of others (unless, of course, they agree with you).

You're specifically choosing to award MVP in a case where the right decisions were not made and the good result wasn't clinched. Maybe we should give Xonar MVP for Gigabots retroactively? Y'know, since if a few things went differently, he would have won the game! He was right there after all! And give me a retroactive MVP for Mafia All-Stars, since if I'd just played my usual technique and lynched X1-12 instead of gambling the setup speculation all OS-style to get us an investigation where guilty=dead townie, we'd have probably locked that one up! Just a couple throws right? And give Ryker MVP for Mario Party 2, because if he made just a few different calls town would have won that one!

I'm sorry, but your logic is incredibly suspect. Gorf didn't get MVP in Full Life Consequences Mafia, and yet he was at the helm for every one of three different antitown lynches. But he didn't get it. Because town didn't win, and ultimately, he didn't make the good stuff happen. Hell, he also didn't get it for DKM, a game that town won because of one decision he made, and he didn't get it despite pinning and lynching the scumteam D1 (N1 the other one died), he didn't make the right moves afterward to make the good stuff happen. Despite town winning, it should have lost, but Gorf still managed to force the lucky break the got later.

But he didn't get it, because it wasn't a performance that deserved to pop his MVP cherry.

I'm having a very hard time seeing this as anything on your part other than "RR played well and he's my friend"

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Not disagreeing with you EE, but it does say here that:

Excerpt from Macman's #2 post of this thread said:
Any player, regardless of their win or loss in the game, is eligible to be MVP, though it's ideal that the MVP is on the winning side. Of course, excellent play on the losing side can be rewarded as well, as this is not the only factor to consider when looking for MVPs. In addition, there is no set number of MVP players for a game. For example, a game could have 0 MVPs, 1 MVP, 2 MVPs, or more even. Generally whoever played a great game should be considered.
Whether or not RR fits this criteria is up for debate. RR definitely had the best reads of anyone in that game on the Town side, but scum were able to keep those reads from ever reaching full force.

Either way, that's something I'm not going to touch since I was directly involved in that game and I may be biased to a degree.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I'm aware that a losing faction member can win MVP. The thing is that this should not even be looked at as being on the shortlist of possibilities when a game ends. Like, "ohhh, scum won, okay now whom do I give the MVP to? The most useful mafia member, or the most useful mafia member and the most useful townie?"

It should be rare. Like, rare as all get out. Having good reads and not making the good stuff happen with them isn't MVP, man. Not at all. Especially when scum performances that fool everyone, as opposed to just getting the right dominos to fall, are almost a total impossibility. How many scum games have the one or two townies that did pretty well but just got lost in the void of the scum plan as the game marched on?

I offered a ton of counterpoints examples from actual games. Here, another. Gheb. He was on every scum lynch -- and an early part of each one -- and decided I was the last one on the day of his death in Pulp Fiction. Does that mean he should get MVP?

Nah. Gheb played a great game, but he also got flushed down the bathtub in the overall picture of things.

Almost every town loss has one or more townies that kind of had their **** together. Are we going to start awarding dual MVPs, one town and one scum, for every town loss? Of course not. That's absurd.

Gorf in FLC is almost a direct analog. Best reads in the game, best pushes in the game. Just didn't have me as a suspect. Just one bad read. Just one. Or Gorf in DKMafia, a game that town actually won, for God's sakes.

Nah man. Nah. If scum kept RR's reads from "ever reaching full force" that means that scum just did an even better job than they already had, making RR's good reads meaningless and ineffectual. That's not MVP. Not at all. Like, for real, I like RR. I've been playing with RR for years, and probably played more games with RR than any other current DGamer. I'd like to see him get his dice, but this sure as hell wasn't the game for it. Just like I'd LOVE to see Gorf get his dice. But was DK the game? Nah. And even he would've said he shouldn't've gotten em for FLC.

So if John really does "respect everyone's opinion", and it's not just a hollow, dismissive attempt to appease, I'd like to see him actually consider the opposition, and particularly the points I have made here.

EDIT: oh god inb4 Gheb namesearches in here

what have I dooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnne

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
PF is a bad example imo since town only lost because I was surrounded by people being ********. I wouldn't have given myself MvP for it though.

:059:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom