• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
There will be a big, detailed post about the Melee1/Ruddy smashfest during the summer in less than a week so everyone be patient....

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Big Bob, as it stands, I think Melee1 and Ruddy are holding weekly smashfests so that would be a good start.

As for all this childish drama about who likes who and who kissed who after PE, it doesn't belong in here. Slaps set the record and Ruddy set the record straight (whether either be truthful or not). Any other commentary from either of you shall be put into PM's. So, in other words, shaddap! lol roflcopter kthxbai

In other news, I have just 5 more days down in Bay City before I'll be back. WOOOOO!!!!
QFT dude

And I'm picking up Yoshi for funsies <3

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Big Bob, as it stands, I think Melee1 and Ruddy are holding weekly smashfests so that would be a good start.

As for all this childish drama about who likes who and who kissed who after PE, it doesn't belong in here. Slaps set the record and Ruddy set the record straight (whether either be truthful or not). Any other commentary from either of you shall be put into PM's. So, in other words, shaddap! lol roflcopter kthxbai

In other news, I have just 5 more days down in Bay City before I'll be back. WOOOOO!!!!
Hurryyyyy :bee:

Ladybug

Smash Lord
@Andy: I'm down. I'll be back next week.

@I'll be back next week: I r in Tennessee! I climb Smokey Mountains. :D And not get eaten by bears.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
For everyone going to LasT 3, preregistration is closing after this weekend. Sunday, May 24 is the last day. I need time to make pools and whatnot. If you have an issue with this cutoff, PM me and we'll set things straight.

If you're not going to LasT 3, then YOU SHOULD. Reflex and kismet are going to be there, as well as a lot people from Alabama. How often are players like this within a reasonable drive? ...Right. The tournament is already close to 80 people, too, so it's going to be pretty awesome.

LasT 3:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225872

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
I guess I can throw a smashfest tomorrow if anyone is interested. PM Me so I know you're coming. And if I pm you back you'll know that you're allowed to head over also it will not be hosted at my place and I'll give you the new address in the PM I send you. The place I'm at right now is just 5 minutes away from my apartment, but just bigger, WAY bigger lol.

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
Um...if several smashfests are going on during the week, I'd say that's a -bad- thing. Sure, most everybody would be able to find one to go to, but I assume most people would only pick one to go to per week, and then the attendance at all of them would be low.

If we could all agree on a single smashfest to go to, then more people would show up to that one and everyone would have a lot more people to play against.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
I took the survey and I gotta be honest, I hesitated when it asked me if I wanted to go to a Brawl MLG event. I know MLG is thinking about putting SFIV in its "roster" (or whatever they call it) of games, most likely taking the position Brawl would have had, and I gotta be honest. I really wouldn't blame them if they did. In fact, I kinda hope they do.

Smash has always been my favorite fighting game series, but eventually you have to face facts: this game does not deserve a spot over a game like Street Fighter. Sakurai screwed up a perfectly good competitive game. Tripping alone should raise questions about Brawl's competitiveness, and thats not even including character balance or the core gameplay.

Can Brawl be played competitively? Yes. The better players consistently beat the worse players, and tournament results prove this. Skill is obviously a major factor when playing Brawl, so competitive play still works out. However, character choice is way too important in this game. Every fighting game has the best characters, the worst characters, and even the useless character, but Brawl has some of the most lopsided tiers I've ever seen. Fox and Marth may have reigned supreme in Melee, but they weren't given their own tiers lie MK and Snake. People playing lower tiered characters can still have impressive results (Awestin and Bored come to mind, and who can forget Ruddy?), but character limitations prevent way to many characters from being viable in tourney play when it comes to actually winning.

Brawl's gameplay is another factor. Matches tend to be slow paced and campy in competitive play. I still remember DMG vs Dojo from PBT where it took 5/8 minutes for someone to lose a stock. Still, I have seen some amazing matches in Brawl that were incredibly exciting and suspenseful. Ally vs M2K round 1 at the finals of Apex was just incredible. But these matches and far and few between. The problem is that these characters are best played slow and campy, which leads to uninteresting matches. Some characters, like DK, can be pretty flashy, but DKs (and other flashy characters) generally don't win tournaments.

None of this would be a problem though if it wasn't for SFIV. SFIV has tiers, but they are a ton closer than in Brawl. A Guile can keep up with a Balrog despite the difference in placings. Yes, matches can be slow (Guile specifically is known to be kinda campy), but many characters are very rushdown, like Rufus. Street Fighter has a great community and great gameplay. Is it perfect? No, but I believe it deserves the spot over Brawl. Hopefully it can become a gateway to bring more fighting games into the spotlight, like Brawl.

I'm not good at Street Fighter, and I've never gotten as good at Brawl as I would have liked to. I'm probably not as qualified to make this kind of decision as some of you guys, and I definitely can't speak for MLG. Still, to me its no contest. MLG should pick up SF and leave Brawl for another time, if at all. If you disagree with me, I don't blame you at all, but I've personally made my mind up about the situation, and at this time, I'd be much more excited to attend a SFIV event than a Brawl one.

This became really "rambly" really quickly. Sorry if its a little hard to understand :urg:

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Did the survey.

Not interested in Andy's smashfest. Have fun guys :p

Edit - @ G-Krew, check the room guys.

Edit edit - Same for the travel room, and Brett should prolly check it out too if he wants to go :p

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So turns out that I will be going to UT Austin this upcoming Fall. I will be passing the Best Ike In Dallas torch to somebody. I'm looking at you Ruddy.

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
Alright, question about Melee1/Ruddy's smashfest:

When the first post says "Start time: 3:00 P.M. and you can bring pillows and smash until morning. ", does that mean that nobody will actually be there at 3 to answer the door?

Or did I miss the post where they said it's canceled this week? Because I don't remember seeing it.

N.O.T.A.-SrsC@

Smash Apprentice
brawl's competitive game is fine. it's just like melee and mvc2 and sf. srsly. there is no one thing in any of those games that makes them un-playable in a competitive tournament format and definitely nothing which qualifies one as necesarily being better than the other since it's all opinion-based.

Arikado

Smash Rookie
brawl's competitive game is fine. it's just like melee and mvc2 and sf. srsly. there is no one thing in any of those games that makes them un-playable in a competitive tournament format and definitely nothing which qualifies one as necesarily being better than the other since it's all opinion-based.
Yeah, it's all opinion based, but Brawl is NOT just like Melee, and it's ESPECIALLY not like MvC2 or SF. You can debate the competitiveness of all of them all you want, but they are not "just like" one another.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
Big bob be a little patient the post will be made very detailed on monday..And yes you can stay the night at the smashfest and they are serious 24 hour smashfest...

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
Would anyone like to house me for a night in june? I think itll be like the 21st or something, a friday. I have orientation early that morning in Denton so i can't just drive up on the day of.

And of course there will be smash the night before

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Who is going to Akon?

Me and my friend Travis are trying to get more people to split a room. However if that doesn't work out is anyone else getting a room? I want to know if we can just join up with your group. PM me if you can help me out.

Santi

Smash Lord
lmao!
john&kate+8 season premiere...

its the kids birthday

and the little boy goes.... "this manyyyyy"
*holds up a hand*

<3
:)

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
So some of yall may already know this but for the rest of yall....

I have decided after many weeks, maybe even months that i should stop playing brawl competitively. I was gonna have SWAT be my last tournament, however I wasn't able to make it. As of late my heart wasn't in brawl, the only reason i came to smash events was the community. I would shy away from going out of town because it would take up so much time for a game i didn't care to much about. The main reason I contemplate quitting was my lack of improvement. I feel as i hit my peak, meaning that my skills as a player cannot improve. Even if i did improve it would only be in just small increments . I'm also starting to feel as if my character doesn't have what it takes to win it all or come up close. I've become frustrated at the fact that my mind doesn't catch on to habits, mind read, my thoughts are not present when i play smash, like they are in other games.

So as of right now, my first priority is street fighter IV. The game is new, and i feel like anything could happen, and anything is up for grabs. Similar to the feeling when brawl came out. In this game i feel like i can think in the midst of battle, unlike during my smash experience.

So what does this mean? this means that i won't be going to OOT or OOS tournaments for the time being. I will be less active on the boards. I will make the effort to spend time with the community via. smash-fest, local tournaments. Maybe this smash-break is temporary, but as of right now SFIV is more fun to me. Maybe IF i break out of this yall will welcome me back with open arms.

I'd like to thank you (the community) all, for making me feel very welcomed in this community. I remember the first Smash-fest I went to. I believe i didn't win a single game that night. Through many lessons, and advices yall had shared with me I am the smasher I am today. The reason I love this community so much is that everyone cares about one another, and everyone knows and wants to have a good time. I hope yall keep this a growing legacy. As an ex-smasher I wish the best of luck, prosper, and most importantly have FUN!

Much love,
Shuz

PS. If you want to contact me pm me for my # or AIM me at FuZioNizeD

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Hey Shuz, I know how you feel. Lets play SFIV online s'more and try to improve each other's games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom