• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demo played (at DigiPen party)! Wavedashing (in Melee form) appears to be out!

Gea

Smash Master
I am more worried about the fact that directional air dodging is gone and not wavedashing. I can understand that some of you are happy because the big bad ugly wavedash is gone but how can removing freedom from where you air dodge do for gameplay? They should have not done that. Hopefully, they didn't just do this weird airdodge thing to get rid of wavedashing and that it takes some unexpected turn and has some deep properties to it.
I think the idea was since you can jump out of it... melee's version would give you three jumps and then an up + B. But we shall see.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I am more worried about the fact that directional air dodging is gone and not wavedashing. I can understand that some of you are happy because the big bad ugly wavedash is gone but how can removing freedom from where you air dodge do for gameplay? They should have not done that. Hopefully, they didn't just do this weird airdodge thing to get rid of wavedashing and that it takes some unexpected turn and has some deep properties to it.
I'm sad about that too, but I think we gain more from the fact that you can now do stuff after the dodge but before landing than we lose from the fact that its only in the direction you move. It opens up a whole new realm of possible tactics for using air dodges when you aren't forced to immediately land after using one before you can do anything else. It may even be possible to dodge more than once in the air, if you have enough time!

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I'm sad about that too, but I think we gain more from the fact that you can now do stuff after the dodge but before landing than we lose from the fact that its only in the direction you move. It opens up a whole new realm of possible tactics for using air dodges when you aren't forced to immediately land after using one before you can do anything else. It may even be possible to dodge more than once in the air, if you have enough time!
Hmmm, maybe it can be like a weird double jump cancel depending on when you can jump out. Really, it all depends on how much lag there is before we can jump out to see if that will really be useful or not beyond recovery.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Wait, directional air-dodge deconfirmed? What the crud?

Oh, and I think that either WiiMote users are screwed or there just aren't three taunts.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
for your consideration:

1) please stop spamming.
2) please stop mocking people. that is why people think tourney players are pretentious jerks.

thanks.

*edit* Gary: maybe the A button taunt cycles through the taunts, or picks one at random.

Mama

Smash Ace
There's an auto mindgame button now.
No I heard they prohibit the use of your brain when you play this game now. The newbs were starting to cry about that too.

Seriously though, why should we believe a poster about anything right now? He's as reliable as any other poster. I could say I had a friend that works for IGN and be just as credible. Threads like this fail in my opinion.

I don't care if the guy has had a credible past. Posting with no source and a story that in itself is simply dumb. come on Digipen getting a demo? for what? They aren't giving it any press coverage what do they (Nintendo) gain from it? E for All is when the public gets its first chance. Everything before then is for the press thats how these things work. Think about these things before posting bogus stories.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
for your consideration:

1) please stop spamming.
2) please stop mocking people. that is why people think tourney players are pretentious jerks.

thanks.
You do realise for the past six years that acting like a moderator while you're not IS spamming, too, right?

And point 2 is not valid, at least not for the last page.

NES n00b

Smash Master
for your consideration:

1) please stop spamming.

thanks.

*edit* Gary: maybe the A button taunt cycles through the taunts, or picks one at random.
1. Spamming is fun chill out. :)

2. People mock us all the time. I think non tourney players are pretentious jerks. Am I in any sort of higher moral ground because people call us tourney***s and call us emos? No not really. This is the internet.

Thanks.

Half hearty politeness is fun.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i'm not acting like a moderator. i'm sincerely asking, as a personal favor. from one human being to another. i'd really appreciate it.

as for point 2, i'd ask you to look again, but whatever. what i see isn't exactly what i'd call the height of sportsmanship or even plain old manners.

but what do i know...

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Hey msglee, if you're lying I'm banning you from penny arcade. Just letting you know. And that's reason enough for me to trust you!

LavisFiend

Smash Lord

2. People mock us all the time. I think non tourney players are pretentious jerks. Am I in any sort of higher moral ground because people call us tourney***s and call us emos? No not really. This is the internet.

Thanks.

Half hearty politeness is fun.
:confused:

Ow. :urg:

kilroy

Smash Journeyman

well, i try to be of the "do unto others" school, not the "eye for an eye" school.

i think this is also why the internet has devolved into so much petty drivel.

but that's a discussion best saved for another time, if ever. ;)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
i'm not acting like a moderator. i'm sincerely asking, as a personal favor. from one human being to another. i'd really appreciate it.

as for point 2, i'd ask you to look again, but whatever. what i see isn't exactly what i'd call the height of sportsmanship or even plain old manners.

but what do i know...
From one human being to another, change your avatar it gives me nightmares kthxbai

SiD

Smash Master
No I heard they prohibit the use of your brain when you play this game now. The newbs were starting to cry about that too.

Seriously though, why should we believe a poster about anything right now? He's as reliable as any other poster. I could say I had a friend that works for IGN and be just as credible. Threads like this fail in my opinion.

I don't care if the guy has had a credible past. Posting with no source and a story that in itself is simply dumb. come on Digipen getting a demo? for what? They aren't giving it any press coverage what do they (Nintendo) gain from it? E for All is when the public gets its first chance. Everything before then is for the press thats how these things work. Think about these things before posting bogus stories.
Um, no, Digipen didn't get a demo. There is a Nintendo building right next to Digipen, that is a fact, and they supposedly got a demo. Doesn't seem at all unlikely to me.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i'm considering closing every wavedashing thread and making a thread that just says "calm down" and inside "i'll give you the info thursday"
lol

NES n00b

Smash Master
well, i try to be of the "do unto others" school, not the "eye for an eye" school.

i think this is also why the internet has devolved into so much petty drivel.

but that's a discussion best saved for another time, if ever. ;)
Sure, whatever. Number 2 that you mentioned is really stupid. It is like if I said in my number 2. Both are false and you should not be identifying with these people who believe this **** at all.

Lavis, it was an extreme example to show how just saying "well I and my group of like minded of individuals view you all as a group as ***es but we do not look deep into our innerselves and notice we do the exact same bull**** things that are uncalled for"

Edit: I would agree Gimpy except spamming with a little bit of arguing is somewhat fun. :)

2nd Edit: you can have the last word after this one Killroy if you want. <_<

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Sure, whatever. Number 2 that you mentioned is really stupid. It is like if I said in my number 2. Both are false and you should not be identifying with these people who believe this **** at all.

Lavis, it was an extreme example to show how just saying "well I and my group of like minded of individuals view you all as a group as ***es but we do not look deep into our innerselves and notice we do the exact same bull**** things that are uncalled for"

Edit: I would agree Gimpy except spamming with a little bit of arguing is somewhat fun. :)
i identify with people that like to be treated with the respect due to another human, and that includes you and tourney players when people judge or mock you unfairly.

mockery just...doesn't help anything. it only exacerbates already frayed relationships because more and more people keep taking offense.

my .02.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
i identify with people that like to be treated with the respect due to another human, and that includes you and tourney players when people judge or mock you unfairly.

mockery just...doesn't help anything. it only exacerbates already frayed relationships because more and more people keep taking offense.

my .02.
I agree with you completely. Earlier this night I went and stated my arguments for why WD has a high chance at being removed. Instead of debating normally, NES and others just mocked me.

It's appears that they're in my shoes now. :laugh:

NES n00b

Smash Master
I agree with you completely. Earlier this night I went and stated my arguments for why WD has a high chance at being removed. Instead of debating normally, NES and other just mocked me.

It's appears that they're in my shoes now. :laugh:
Whut? not now. But since I first started in Smash Boards, people who do not like tourney players have sayed stuff about how tourney players are blah blah blah. I got mocked for having a bad thread, but you got to remember, this is the internet. Don't let anyone one here tell you this this and that. Yes, it is good to go over knowledge and debates but don't ever feel bad because people talk **** all the time. Everyone have mocked each other at some point on the internet.

Killroy even called one of my threads lame, but did I care, not really.
It is the internet, remember that. [/sentimental lesson about the internet]

About the airdodge, is it confirmed if you can do like an air dodge than jump than do an air dodge than jump to infinity? Or is there some limit?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
NES noob, from what I understand your air dodge does not affect your jumps. It does not count as your 'third jump,' but rather acts like an aerial spot dodge, maintaining speed.

NES n00b

Smash Master
NES noob, from what I understand your air dodge does not affect your jumps. It does not count as your 'third jump,' but rather acts like an aerial spot dodge, maintaining speed.
Oh, I see. Intersting, so like, if you did a first jump then did a dodge then you can use your second jump but you can't jump if you airdodge at the second jump.

This is intersting but I have no idea what purpose it would have. Maybe it can act like a weird arial sheild grab where you would short hop and then they would do some laggy attack where you will spot dodge in midair and land on the ground with little lag and then punish. That seems really unrealistic now that I look at it, but still at thought. :ohwell:

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I don't think it's confirmed anywhere. My guess is that is that you have one air dodge per time in the air just like most characters have one aerial jump while airborn (and I mean universally one not one-to-one with the characters number of aerial jumps). Just a guess, though.

I can imagine using this against a projectile heavy character while trying to recover.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Whut? not now. But since I first started in Smash Boards, people who do not like tourney players have sayed stuff about how tourney players are blah blah blah. I got mocked for having a bad thread, but you got to remember, this is the internet. Don't let anyone one here tell you this this and that. Yes, it is good to go over knowledge and debates but don't ever feel bad because people talk **** all the time. Everyone have mocked each other at some point on the internet.

Killroy even called one of my threads lame, but did I care, not really.
It is the internet, remember that. [/sentimental lesson about the internet]
i did, my bad. but be fair here NES Noob, it was a spam thread mocking the "WD = glitch" people. ;)

i agree with the "sticks and stones" approach, i just don't think that's license to go around saying whatever we please with no regard for others, is all.

the internet, and the world, would be soooo much better if people thought more about others.

and i'm not saying i'm perfect, but i really do believe this.

ok, enough trying to save the world. ;) i still got HW to do.

peace. can't we all just smash? ;)

LavisFiend

Smash Lord

2nd Edit: you can have the last word after this one Killroy if you want. <_<
Except that I don't think that way of tournament goers as I go myself. :laugh:

I just don't go regularly.

Which is why I was offended. XD

NES n00b

Smash Master
i did, my bad. but be fair here NES Noob, it was a spam thread mocking the "WD = glitch" people. ;)

i agree with the "sticks and stones" approach, i just don't think that's license to go around saying whatever we please with no regard for others, is all.

the internet, and the world, would be soooo much better if people thought more about others.

and i'm not saying i'm perfect, but i really do believe this.

ok, enough trying to save the world. ;) i still got HW to do.

peace. can't we all just smash? ;)
Haha, yes it was. :laugh: You got to admit that there were a lot of WD threads like that.

yes it would, but since the world is not perfect. I say live a little in a place where people don't take things too seriously. I usually don't troll but sometimes well, I get in the mood. It happens.

And just smashing would be way too easy. I am for serious. ;)

Related: Why couldn't Sakurai do both? It would be like you use the direction for directional airdodges which work the same way and this new one by just pressing R or L with no direction. You could add the new mechanic but keep the old. Adding instead of replacing. Maybe this would be too complicated for the average smasher to get so they might no want to do that. Heh, I think I am sort of in the minority on not thinking this airdodge thing as it is looking right now.

Edit: LOL Lavis. You can go look at 4chan and some places here in the Brawl boards to see the attitude of tourney players. FD, no items, Fox only. To a degree, it is funny because of how wrong MOST of it is. So it is easy to ignore such things.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Oh, I see. Intersting, so like, if you did a first jump then did a dodge then you can use your second jump but you can't jump if you airdodge at the second jump.

This is intersting but I have no idea what purpose it would have. Maybe it can act like a weird arial sheild grab where you would short hop and then they would do some laggy attack where you will spot dodge in midair and land on the ground with little lag and then punish. That seems really unrealistic now that I look at it, but still at thought. :ohwell:
Freeing up aerial combat so that you can dodge attacks without falling like a flaccid bag of stones.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Haha, yes it was. :laugh: You got to admit that there were a lot of WD threads like that.

yes it would, but since the world is not perfect. I say live a little in a place where people don't take things too seriously. I usually don't troll but sometimes well, I get in the mood. It happens.

And just smashing would be way too easy. I am for serious. ;)

Related: Why couldn't Sakurai do both? It would be like you use the direction for directional airdodges which work the same way and this new one by just pressing R or L with no direction. You could add the new mechanic but keep the old. Adding instead of replacing. Maybe this would be too complicated for the average smasher to get so they might no want to do that. Heh, I think I am sort of in the minority on not thinking this airdodge thing as it is looking right now.

Edit: LOL Lavis. You can go look at 4chan and some places here in the Brawl boards to see the attitude of tourney players. FD, no items, Fox only. To a degree, it is funny because of how wrong MOST of it is. So it is easy to ignore such things.
Indeed it is...

After all, I use Yoshi. XD

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
there were a TON of threads like that. ;) a ton. ;)

which, personally, i think is one silver-lining of WDing being taken out. no more WDing threads and flamewars. it always was the most controversial of the techs, i think because it's the easiest to see.

LuigiTheButcher

Smash Journeyman
Oh man Sakurai doesn't know the error of his ways! Wavedash removing will cause mass suicides in the smash community. *sob* And to think all these people who violently fight for wavedashing being in the game...if it won't be they will never win a tourney again! Wait a minute...I don't think any complainers ever won a tourney! ZOMG! So then why the hell do you care if wavedashing is in?

Thursday=Answers or apocolypse! Just like Gimpyfish said...relax =/

NES n00b

Smash Master
Freeing up aerial combat so that you can dodge attacks without falling like a flaccid bag of stones.
I guess so if you are in your first jump. Maybe you can attack out of the airdodges, too? That would be useful for both jumps (or multiple jumps =p).

Indeed it is...

After all, I use Yoshi. XD
That is awesome. There needs to be more Yoshi users. I myself am a Link main. I usually go all Link in tournies now a days though I like playing as Falcon (and some other characters like Mario, Luigi, and Ness). We low tiers have the cool characters. XD Joking of course, but it is good to make fun of oneself once in a while.

Edit: yes, I do believe why that it is the most controversial Killroy. If we were to go through uses, it would have been shffling but wavedashing is the most visual. It shows that you are doing something not normal for sure.

Top Bottom