• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demo played (at DigiPen party)! Wavedashing (in Melee form) appears to be out!

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
They're going USmail and started shipping this week (think it said week of Oct 15th... basically we prolly had too many to say ALL would go out on Oct 15th). Standard delivery time for US Mail is 4-10 business days.

Also... one of the people that sits by me had this to say the first time he saw a Jacket in person.

"Looks like a Wii Remote condom."

SiD

Smash Master
lol, it hella does look like a condom.

Anyway man, thanks alot for the info. Man I can't wait for tomorrow, videos galore I hope!

RDK

Smash Hero
So, offtopic, but do you know how long it will take for the wii remote jackets to arrive?
....we already have those, but maybe you're talking about something else entirely.

Care to explain?

RDK

Smash Hero
Ah, I see know.

Dammit--I already bought a craptastic pair from Best Buy.

Oh well. I guess more can't hurt.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
zauron, i have a new theory for that yoshi roll.
maybe if you hold down while rolling forward, it will go into crawl stance and keep facing the same direction, that'll make sense because of a probable lag for going in\out of crawl to prevent cheesiness rolling. he might have done that twice in a row.

nuro

Smash Lord
Vortok is kind of drawing me in, of course I am still skeptical though.

I gotta say that I wonder how the whole game in general will feel compared to melee. Melee is my flesh and bones I don't know if ssbb is going to feel the same way ssbm did. One of the reasons I really dislike ssbb is because everyone will probably be playing a lot more than I will, thus getting seriously better than me, heh.

No wavedash is no bigdeal. With this autosweetspoting stuff it should be no problem to edge hog (which is what I mostly used wavedashing for) and to cancel the running animation you can always pivot or something. Wavedash is probably just the skin of the entire advanced tactics that will be in the game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No its not a tech or a roll.

Its not a tech because Yoshi was not hit, nor anywhere near anythnig that could hurt him, when he did it. It was straight out of an idle.

Its not a roll because forward rolls make you turn and face the other way. And, we've already seen Yoshi's rolls - he goes into an egg, just like he did in Melee.

For the rest of the video this is taken from, check out http://www.gamespot.com/video/92851...os-brawl-nintendo-media-summit-2007-interview at 5:37.
When does that happen in the video?

ruffrydr017

Smash Apprentice
Because I care not at all about wave dashing or l-cancelling, I'm a casual player, no advanced techniques for me, what can you tell us about alternate costumes? Costumes as in palate changes, of course. Is there still a Daisy for Peach?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
WD is out? What about directional airdodge? The momentum airdodge thing sounds really dumb, it just screams "I can only dodge in this direction! Throw out some moves here and you're almost certain to hit me!". If they delayed the game to change stuff like that then the delay is justified.

I'm curious about the sliding thing in Brawl, I saw Samus sliding quiet a bit in one of the vids. I hope characters don't control so loosely or gameplay will end up really sloppy.

RDK

Smash Hero
WD is out? What about directional airdodge? The momentum airdodge thing sounds really dumb, it just screams "I can only dodge in this direction! Throw out some moves here and you're almost certain to hit me!". If they delayed the game to change stuff like that then the delay is justified.
I doubt the delay was for that reason, but you're right.

The momentum airdodge is pretty watertight evidence for Brawl being sans-Wavedash, although lots of people would have it otherwise. Maybe this just opens it up for more / new advanced techs....

veil222

Smash Journeyman
I'm just psyched for being able to do moves after up b and dodge... yeah they can predict what way you're gonna dodge, but an up b out of momentum dodge would be some nasty stuff to try to punish with good timing.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
'
Either teching, or a roll.
Don't be so sure. That little maneuver looks like something snake did in one of the trailers. He starts out running, dives forward, and ends in his crawling position.

I think it was the Nintendo World 2006 vid.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Because I care not at all about wave dashing or l-cancelling, I'm a casual player, no advanced techniques for me, what can you tell us about alternate costumes? Costumes as in palate changes, of course. Is there still a Daisy for Peach?
I'd like to know about this too. Though, note that Mario still has his Wario outfit...just because Peach can look like Daisy, doesn't mean Daisy's not in :)

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
I'll check Peach (for Daisy) and Link (for Dark Link) tomorrow. Friend hasn't called back... he's a punk like that. And of course tomorrow we'll be getting reports from multiple people that are going to E for All. I still plan on trying Fox first. I'll purposely try to Airdodge backwards (jump forwards, try to dodge backwards) and also at a 90 degree angle. We've practically confirmed momentum dodges from videos, but I wanna do it for the sake of first-hand experience and being thorough.

People I carpool with start earlier than I do tomorrow, so I'll get about a half hour in the morning... provided another major monkey wrench isn't thrown at me like it was today (back is still sore). Chances are I won't have a chance to post 'til midday, though.

BentoBox

Smash Master
One of the mods should make a thread and sticky it and only allow people attending the event tomorrow to post~

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
First post in God knows how long (Oh, 2004. It says so at the top) but...

This is such excellent info I had to come out and say thanks to Infil and Vortok. If you have or could find anything further on Ike (his other specials, for example) and touch on the crawling I'd really appreciate it.

Catskill_Crew

Smash Cadet
My only issue with this, is you can see that Mario has mid-air dodged in multiple directions in different videos...

In the screenshot with Giga Bowser, he seems to be air dodging forward, in the preview with snake, on Shadow Moses Island, during the explosion, slow the video down, you can see Mario mid-air dodging downleft, instead of "forward."

But yeah, whatever, Smash is smash.

red stone

Smash Ace
i think DI still plays an important part in air dodging. notice how mario goes way to the right. a jump a lone does not let you go that far. the momentum just does not go that way.

this is why i think wavedashing will still be in brawl. when you do a normal wd, you do not leave the ground. therefore, there's no momentum uppwards. so technically, you can put the momentum downwards by crouching. this will cause you to collide with the ground and slide the direction you were tilted.

YAY i win!

SiD

Smash Master
i think DI still plays an important part in air dodging. notice how mario goes way to the right. a jump a lone does not let you go that far. the momentum just does not go that way.

this is why i think wavedashing will still be in brawl. when you do a normal wd, you do not leave the ground. therefore, there's no momentum uppwards. so technically, you can put the momentum downwards by crouching. this will cause you to collide with the ground and slide the direction you were tilted.

YAY i win!
Um, you can't crouch while you're jumping, so you would just airdodge in place and go nowhere.

red stone

Smash Ace
Um, you can't crouch while you're jumping, so you would just airdodge in place and go nowhere.

i didn't mean crouching in the literal sense. just DI downwards.

see i was just thinking about how one first learns wavedashing in melee. you probably crouched and tilted to the side and jump dodged. you were crouching the the direction was downwards but you down't actually crouch after you press jump

SiD

Smash Master
i didn't mean crouching in the literal sense. just DI downwards.

see i was just thinking about how one first learns wavedashing in melee. you probably crouched and tilted to the side and jump dodged. you were crouching the the direction was downwards but you down't actually crouch after you press jump
Yes but that's cause you can airdodge in that direction, and it accelerates you for a split second. Neither appear to be true here.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Yes, but a WD was executed by using the air dodge to reverse your momentum from upwards to an angle downwards. Therefore, as of right now the current air dodge doesn't make a melee WD possible.

Kryptonite X

Smash Cadet

YAY i win!

Your whole little "revelation" falls apart when you get down to the nitty gritty of it.

Melee physics != Brawl physics

People have already confirmed that brawl is a lot more "floatier" than in melee. Your second part of your post just makes absolutely no sense as well.

I think you just need to get over the fact that WD is out :p
Stage 3: Bargaining

You lose, good day sir
*takes cookie and eats it*

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
If you have or could find anything further on Ike (his other specials, for example) and touch on the crawling I'd really appreciate it.
Near as I could tell from the matches I watched. It's like mgslee said. Ike's down B is counter. His side B is some dashing slash (I think slightly shorter range than Falco's over B... but I only saw it off to the side when I was watching someone else).

Interesting note - Ike was able to counter in the MIDDLE of getting hit. I wasn't sure when I saw it, but I mentioned it to my friend and he confirmed seeing Ike do it as well in other matches (sorry, forgot that part of the convo earlier and since Ike's moves had been posted I didn't bother earlier). Basically, an Ike player was getting hit by Pit's side B (spinning blade dash.... thing) and Ike countered right in the middle of it. I didn't notice enough/seen it enough to know things such as how far it knocked Pit, if it's a set distance, how much damage, etc. It's definately counter, though.

Come to think of it, that's significant given that Ike's a heavy character. Shines a possible positive light on some of the other heavies (maybe they're harder to "stagger" as well). Should've remembered to post that earlier.

His other two B moves we've seen on the website. And yes, his Up special looks exactly like Kirby's, without the ground projectile at the end that Kirby has.

Zek

Smash Ace
really, i have no idea if DI will be enough to push you into the ground. we'll just have to see tomorrow
It won't be. You really think you can jump, and DI so strongly downwards that you won't even leave the ground? And even if you do that, you won't have any more speed than you had when you started so the "wavedash" would do nothing.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Near as I could tell from the matches I watched. It's like mgslee said. Ike's down B is counter. His side B is some dashing slash (I think slightly shorter range than Falco's over B... but I only saw it off to the side when I was watching someone else).

Interesting note - Ike was able to counter in the MIDDLE of getting hit. I wasn't sure when I saw it, but I mentioned it to my friend and he confirmed seeing Ike do it as well in other matches (sorry, forgot that part of the convo earlier and since Ike's moves had been posted I didn't bother earlier). Basically, an Ike player was getting hit by Pit's side B (spinning blade dash.... thing) and Ike countered right in the middle of it. I didn't notice enough/seen it enough to know things such as how far it knocked Pit, if it's a set distance, how much damage, etc. It's definately counter, though.

Come to think of it, that's significant given that Ike's a heavy character. Shines a possible positive light on some of the other heavies (maybe they're harder to "stagger" as well). Should've remembered to post that earlier.

His other two B moves we've seen on the website. And yes, his Up special looks exactly like Kirby's, without the ground projectile at the end that Kirby has.
Whoa, holy crap. Thanks for the info sir. :grin:

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Ah, the same anti-stagger for heavies mentioned before is possibly confirmed. Or it could have been a buggy demo. I'm hoping for the former.

Zek

Smash Ace
Ah, the same anti-stagger for heavies mentioned before is possibly confirmed. Or it could have been a buggy demo. I'm hoping for the former.
Err, it was confirmed when it was posted on the dojo :p We just don't know the details yet.

Top Bottom