• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delzethin Weighs in on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's Newcomers

delzethin ultimate roster thoughts.jpg

Since Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's starting roster was revealed, plenty of prominent figures in the Smash community have been sharing their reactions to the lineup. Delzethin is no exception, as in his latest video, he weighs in on each of Ultimate's newcomers as well as the roster as a whole.

The video takes on a more opinionated tone than his usual fare, both in terms of individual newcomers and Ultimate's pre-release cycle as a whole. Delzethin notes that the later reveals felt a bit more underwhelming than the early ones - as if the development team didn't just slow down on the reveals, but came to a screeching halt.

It's not all doom and gloom, though. While he wasn't the most satisfied with the last couple of reveals for the base roster, Delzethin points out that, in hindsight, Piranha Plant was a pretty high note to end the final Smash Direct on - it's one of the most unique characters in the entire roster, and one that nobody could've seen coming. On top of that, while there's nothing left to speculate about the base roster, there's still five DLC characters we don't know about.

Author's Note: What are your thoughts on Ultimate's base roster? Who do you want to see as DLC? Let us know in the comments.

Scribe

Comments

You right, high expectations always will result in disappointment. Message to anyone who still thinks this game will have good dlc: expect the worst, hope for the best.
I endeavor to base all my expectations on the facts that are available to me and will not cease this just to spare myself from disappointment. You are suggesting that we fool ourselves with a lies in order to spare ourselves from disappointment but I instead face the truth whenever I can even if that path has more disappointment on it.

I endeavor to base all my expectations on the facts that are available to me and will not cease this just to spare myself from disappointment. You are suggesting that we fool ourselves with a lies in order to spare ourselves from disappointment but I instead face the truth whenever I can even if that path has more disappointment on it.
Much respect. Also, welcome to Smashboards. Things should go better after the, uh, altercation earlier.

I really don't think the roster was all that in full. :ultinkling: , :ultsimon: & :ultridley: were all decent additions to the roster, due to their unique playstyles and powerful attacks, but :ultkrool: was just no good.

From the vibes I got from the first Ultimate trailers, I thought this was going to be a more serious entry. The Good v. Evil felt serious and dire, and K. Rool just ruins it with his... TBH, derpiness is the best way I can put it.

However, :ultdarksamus: was very welcome in my book. I like :ultsamus: playstyle a lot but always felt like it could be improved so much. Even though the demo was nothing to write home about for her, I personally think that Dark Samus can be much better in most ways, mostly due to her floatiness and faster hitboxes.

And for the sake of my fingers, I won't write anything about :ultchrom:.

:ultincineroar: & :ultken: didn't quite hit the spot for me either.

I enjoyed :ultryu: as a very unique, gimmicky character that never needed an echo. Ken felt like Nintendo was ripping Ryu's unique playstyle away from him. I see one better thing and it's mostly for the giggles, though; I can shout "ShoryuKen!" when I win a match.

And let's be honest, another Pokémon? We didn't need one, especially after Chrom.

Well, that's my opinion that won't ever matter.

Last edited:
but :ultkrool: was just no good.

From the vibes I got from the first Ultimate trailers, I thought this was going to be a more serious entry. The Good v. Evil felt serious and dire, and K. Rool just ruins it with his... TBH, derpiness is the best way I can put it.
It’s people like you who prevented us from new DKC content in smash for so long with all your damn complaining about ‘oh, he’s too derpy to be a villain’ or ‘he’s no good’. Just shut up and let the 95% of smash fans that enjoy him have fun.

It’s people like you who prevented us from new DKC content in smash for so long with all your damn complaining about ‘oh, he’s too derpy to be a villain’ or ‘he’s no good’. Just shut up and let the 95% of smash fans that enjoy him have fun.
If those people make up at most 5% then how were they so powerful as to persuade Sakurai to not include King K. Rool?

This sounds like an interesting research. What percent of Smash fans like Mario, for example?

This sounds like an interesting research. What percent of Smash fans like Mario, for example?
I don’t know, but I do know 100% know who he is, and out of that at least 90% know he has to be on the roster for it to even be smash. Smash bros without Mario would be like taking Sonic out of sonic.
If those people make up at most 5% then how were they so powerful as to persuade Sakurai to not include King K. Rool?
Because Sakurai was pretty much ignoring DK anyway (I’m pretty sure he said he was shocked by how many people wanted this guy) and having several people try to go out of their way to say DK hasn’t earned another rep wasn’t helping. But now we most likely know the winner of the smash ballot: K. Rool. Just look at all the DKC: first assist trophy, new music that isn’t 10 jungle hijinx remixes, and the big guy himself. This is the first time DK hasn’t been openly ignored in smash, and I don’t think you realize how important it is that the DK’s villain is finally back after 10 long years of silence. The ballot was all we needed to finally get a new dk rep, and now that he’s in I’m gonna have to push hard for funky or Dixie.

Last edited:
The last 5 DLC characters aren't worth speculating over because no one has no idea who they are. Unless you want to jump on the Assist Trophy redemption.

The ballot was all we needed to finally get a new dk rep, and now that he’s in I’m gonna have to push hard for funky or Dixie.
I don't see why you should bother. Sakurai has been shown to dislike the Donkey Kong franchise. I highly doubt we will get more DK reps for the next Smash games. With starting to use Country as a social experiment to taunting the fans in K. Rool's reveal trailer, it's likely not going to happen.

Because Sakurai was pretty much ignoring DK anyway (I’m pretty sure he said he was shocked by how many people wanted this guy) and having several people try to go out of their way to say DK hasn’t earned another rep wasn’t helping.
It was not their fault that Sakurai was ignoring DK anyway and I do not think it was their duty to help get a character in that they did not even wanted.

Here are my thoughts:
Incineroar: I feel like Incineroar may have been overrated. Smash Bros is a fighting game, and Incineroar is based on wrestling, but I feel like more recognizable Pokemon should of got this place. I think that this may have been Primarina's chance. But hey, that's just a theory, A GAME THEORY!

Piranha Plant: Now, I know this was a joke character, but I personally love the idea of a common enemy being put into Smash. This is what you people get for begging Sakurai for Waluigi, Geno, and Goku.

Ken: You know... I felt like Ken should get into Smash. Now, I'm wishing for some other Street Fighter characters. I mean, do we seriously need more Echo Clones?

And let's be honest, another Pokémon? We didn't need one, especially after Chrom.
I didn't know Chrom was a Pokemon...
With starting to use Country as a social experiment to taunting the fans in K. Rool's reveal trailer
What the hell are you even talking about? Social experiment? Taunting the fans? Huh? I think you need to go outside and get some fresh air. Sakurai and the developers arguably gave K. Rool the most amount of love out of any newcomer in Ultimate.

Last edited:
I don't mind if people are disappointed in the Incineroar reveal, but please stop trying to make myself and other Incineroar fans who very much wanted him in the game feel stupid. Incineroar is in the game, let people be happy about it

I don't see why you should bother. Sakurai has been shown to dislike the Donkey Kong franchise. I highly doubt we will get more DK reps for the next Smash games. With starting to use Country as a social experiment to taunting the fans in K. Rool's reveal trailer, it's likely not going to happen.
Since when was his trailer a taunt? It was arguably the best of the bunch, and not only that, but look at K. Rool compared to other newcomers: He was obviously much more heavily worked on (Hidden from every damn real leak, even Veggiebin couldn't get him. And the polish, just look at how much better he ended up looking than the other newcomers). The era of hate for dk ends here!

I don't mind if people are disappointed in the Incineroar reveal, but please stop trying to make myself and other Incineroar fans who very much wanted him in the game feel stupid. Incineroar is in the game, let people be happy about it
You mean that you need our approval to be happy about it? Maybe you need to be more secure so that you can be happy about things that you like but other people do not.

I also enjoy my favorite character despite him being likes by only few people. Not needing other people's approval to enjoy the things I like is really convenient.

I agree with Delzethin, later reveals were underwhelming

Also i think abandoning the Bandana Dee boat for Incineroar was a ok choice ? but 100% Bandana Dee for DeeLC

Last edited:
You mean that you need our approval to be happy about it? Maybe you need to be more secure so that you can be happy about things that you like but other people do not.

I also enjoy my favorite character despite him being likes by only few people. Not needing other people's approval to enjoy the things I like is really convenient.
I'm happy about it regardless, but people are flat out saying that fans of Incineroar are stupid or somehow against all other characters and opinions. I don't need anyone's approval I just wish people would stop acting so entitled and be happy with what we got. Even if you aren't happy, there's no reason to put other people down

I didn't know Chrom was a Pokemon...
You know exactly what I'm talking about.
What the hell are you even talking about? Social experiment? Taunting the fans? Huh?
Sakurai made an entire game for one sole social experiment; Do people play games no matter how bad the gameplay is as long as the graphics are good? Confirmed in an interview that I can't find for the life of me.
Since when was his trailer a taunt?
Since we saw it, of course. Dedede cosplayed as K. Rool as a slap in the face to the people who wanted him, and gave the people who didn't want him a chance to exhale. Afterwards, he was revealed. That's the only time he was being used as a taunt, looking away from the goofy style that he tries to pull off.
He was obviously much more heavily worked on
I never said he wasn't worked on. He's well developed and has very unique mechanics and physics, but he pulls them off in a really bad way.

Sakurai made an entire game for one sole social experiment; Do people play games no matter how bad the gameplay is as long as the graphics are good? Confirmed in an interview that I can't find for the life of me.

Since we saw it, of course. Dedede cosplayed as K. Rool as a slap in the face to the people who wanted him, and gave the people who didn't want him a chance to exhale. Afterwards, he was revealed. That's the only time he was being used as a taunt, looking away from the goofy style that he tries to pull off.

I never said he wasn't worked on. He's well developed and has very unique mechanics and physics, but he pulls them off in a really bad way.
You act as though Chrom wasn't a highly-requested and easy-to-make addition.

Imagine having this much free time and energy.

1. Sakurai didn't make the DKC games. Rare did.

2. That quote was from Miyamoto.

3. It's up in the air whether or not he ever even actually said that.

Like damn how do you get so much wrong in a single post? lmao

Why do you hate K. Rool so much? His mechanics are pulled off greatly from what I’ve seen, and he has some good alt skins to boot.

You act as though Chrom wasn't a highly-requested and easy-to-make addition.
Another Fire Emblem character was never needed.
1. Sakurai didn't make the DKC games. Rare did.

2. That quote was from Miyamoto.

3. It's up in the air whether or not he ever even actually said that.

Like damn how do you get so much wrong in a single post? lmao
1. Nintendo had the original plan for DKC, and HAL made a small part of the graphic work.

2. It was Sakurai's words coming from Miyamoto. Nonetheless, Nintendo and largely Sakurai is still shown to dislike DK.

3. Like I said; A legitimate interview. This isn't coming from 4chan or some paid info, it's an official interview made public.
Why do you hate K. Rool so much? His mechanics are pulled off greatly from what I’ve seen, and he has some good alt skins to boot.
Like I said; I don't think K. Rool fits in with the sophisticated, serious atmosphere of SSBU. I wouldn't mind if he was maybe a veteran from Brawl, that game was always a bit more silly than the others.

This is absolutely true yeah.

1. Nintendo had the original plan for DKC, and HAL made a small part of the graphic work.

2. It was Sakurai's words coming from Miyamoto. Nonetheless, Nintendo and largely Sakurai is still shown to dislike DK.

3. Like I said; A legitimate interview. This isn't coming from 4chan or some paid info, it's an official interview made public.
Find me the interview then. Not trying to defend Sakurai here or anything though, lord knows he get's his boots thoroughly licked enough as it is lol.

Like I said; I don't think K. Rool fits in with the sophisticated, serious atmosphere of SSBU. I wouldn't mind if he was maybe a veteran from Brawl, that game was always a bit more silly than the others.
Ok now I know you gotta be **** posting. Brawl was the game where they tried to go for a gritty detailed look while having a story mode worked on by a story writer from the Final Fantasy games and a big bombastic Latin filled main theme. The "silly" one my ass lol.

No character at this point is "needed," but Chrom was sure as hell wanted.

The whole "we don't need" nonsense is responsible for a good amount of Incineroar's flack as well, I'd wager. It's a video game, not some precise recipe where people need to get anal retentive about franchise ratios. Like, I'm not a Metroid fan, but I'm not mad that the franchise literally doubled its amount of characters in Ultimate. People wanted both Ridley and Dark Samus, and they look neat, so the more the merrier.

Some folks don't get that, in general, most people don't think about what they want with arbitrary franchise ratios in mind. The folks who wanted Chrom didn't care about the amount of Fire Emblem characters, they cared that they got Chrom. The folks who wanted Incineroar didn't care about the amount of Pokémon characters, they cared that they got Incineroar. A salty vocal minority on the internet isn't gonna change that.

And should we really miss out on characters people want just because some people think their franchise has too many fighters? That seems really dumb to me.

Makes me wonder why the Fire Emblem franchise has so many characters. I get Pokemon because it is very successful and I definitely get Mario since it is Nintendo's flagship franchise but Fire Emblem seems like a random choice to give so many representatives.

Makes me wonder why the Fire Emblem franchise has so many characters. I get Pokemon because it is very successful and I definitely get Mario since it is Nintendo's flagship franchise but Fire Emblem seems like a random choice to give so many representatives.
Largely circumstance. Three out of the seven FE characters are (or started out as) easy-to-produce clone characters, and characters people actually wanted, at that. Lucina was originally a palette swap before getting promoted, and once they turned that into its own selling point they did the same for Chrom in Ultimate. Roy was originally cut after Melee, likely because he was a clone, but hey, fans wanted him back anyway.

The remaining four original characters comprise of Marth + whoever the latest FE protagonist was at the time of release. The end result is an already decently sized collection of original characters being bolstered by several clones who all managed to sneak into the roster at some point or another, and now that it's Ultimate, here they all are at once.

Sakurai is biased toward Fire Emblem which is why it has way more characters than it actually should.

Last edited:
I have a feeling I should stop posting....

Ok now I know you gotta be **** posting. Brawl was the game where they tried to go for a gritty detailed look while having a story mode worked on by a story writer from the Final Fantasy games and a big bombastic Latin filled main theme. The "silly" one my *** lol.
And it failed horribly. Nearly all of the characters had a ridiculous look. Jigglypuff got a slaughter in design, Dedede is literally a giant penguin that throws living pillows, Sonic had really bright colors, the list goes on. And I didn't mean graphics wise. Brawl is much more like a party game for a small group of casual gamers new to Smash, which I define as "silly." If you don't like that definition, fine by me.
No character at this point is "needed," but Chrom was sure as hell wanted.
Last I checked, no one wanted Robin or Ike. I'm fine with Chrom but the sheer number of Fire Emblem characters is what sets my opinion of him.
I'm not a Metroid fan, but I'm not mad that the franchise literally doubled its amount of characters in Ultimate. People wanted both Ridley and Dark Samus, and they look neat, so the more the merrier.
I feel as 2-4 characters are fine for a smaller franchise. My way of defining it is "Is the series popular? Yes? 5-6 characters. No? 2-4 characters." Also why I'm against Chrom in this situation; 7 characters for a small franchise is way too much for what I define it as.
Find me the interview then.
I said it in an earlier post. I can't find the interview for the life of me. At least how I try to find it, it seems to be wiped off of the face of the earth.

And it failed horribly. Nearly all of the characters had a ridiculous look. Jigglypuff got a slaughter in design, Dedede is literally a giant penguin that throws living pillows, Sonic had really bright colors, the list goes on. And I didn't mean graphics wise. Brawl is much more like a party game for a small group of casual gamers new to Smash, which I define as "silly." If you don't like that definition, fine by me.
SSBB is the Smash with the most serious tone. As has been pointed out before, it had a more serious story and more realistic looking graphics.Your 3 examples are all cartoony characters who will always look silly in any game they appear in. How exactly will SSBU make Dedede look more serious? By making him only throw living spike balls instead of "living pillows"? So it was the Waddle Doo's and Waddle Dee's that made him silly and the fact that he is a fat cartoony penguin with a giant hammer had nothing to do with it?

What about Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, ZSS, Snake, Ike, Marth, or any other character that is not inherently cartoony? What character was made more cartoony in SSBB then he is in SSBU?

Of course gameplaywise SSBB is definitely the most casual entry from Smash64 to SSBU. But story-wise and graphically it has the most serious tone.

SSBB is the Smash with the most serious tone. As has been pointed out before, it had a more serious story and more realistic looking graphics.Your 3 examples are all cartoony characters who will always look silly in any game they appear in. How exactly will SSBU make Dedede look more serious? By making him only throw living spike balls instead of "living pillows"? So it was the Waddle Doo's and Waddle Dee's that made him silly and the fact that he is a fat cartoony penguin with a giant hammer had nothing to do with it?

What about Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, ZSS, Snake, Ike, Marth, or any other character that is not inherently cartoony? What character was made more cartoony in SSBB then he is in SSBU?

Of course gameplaywise SSBB is definitely the most casual entry from Smash64 to SSBU. But story-wise and graphically it has the most serious tone.
Story-wise, Ultimate is shaping up to be the most serious. Was everyone except Kirby being vaporized in the very first cutscene of the story mode not enough of a tip-off that no punches are being pulled this time? Brawl does still have the most serious tone graphics-wise, though. Its character textures remain the most richly detailed in the series for some reason, and it's chock-full of dull colors (because brown = "realism", amIrite?).

Ok, you are either ****-posting or have some serious issues.
Wtf do you mean by ‘ridiculous’ look? Brawl looked absolutely fine, and if you don’t like it that’s fine, but don’t go around ****-posting about it regardless.

Top Bottom