• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delzethin Weighs in on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's Newcomers

delzethin ultimate roster thoughts.jpg

Since Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's starting roster was revealed, plenty of prominent figures in the Smash community have been sharing their reactions to the lineup. Delzethin is no exception, as in his latest video, he weighs in on each of Ultimate's newcomers as well as the roster as a whole.

The video takes on a more opinionated tone than his usual fare, both in terms of individual newcomers and Ultimate's pre-release cycle as a whole. Delzethin notes that the later reveals felt a bit more underwhelming than the early ones - as if the development team didn't just slow down on the reveals, but came to a screeching halt.

It's not all doom and gloom, though. While he wasn't the most satisfied with the last couple of reveals for the base roster, Delzethin points out that, in hindsight, Piranha Plant was a pretty high note to end the final Smash Direct on - it's one of the most unique characters in the entire roster, and one that nobody could've seen coming. On top of that, while there's nothing left to speculate about the base roster, there's still five DLC characters we don't know about.

Author's Note: What are your thoughts on Ultimate's base roster? Who do you want to see as DLC? Let us know in the comments.

Scribe

Comments

Story-wise, Ultimate is shaping up to be the most serious. Was everyone except Kirby being vaporized in the very first cutscene of the story mode not enough of a tip-off that no punches are being pulled this time? Brawl does still have the most serious tone graphics-wise, though. Its character textures remain the most richly detailed in the series for some reason, and it's chock-full of dull colors (because brown = "realism", amIrite?).
Not really, Ultimate models has more details, it's just not as easy to notice because better models and different lighting/saturation.

I think Brawl's "realistic" art direction was an attempt to show off with new graphics, like how Melee models are dark to the point of painful to look at for no reason.

But story-wise and graphically it has the most serious tone.
Okay, I didn't mean in graphics wise, like I've already said.
Brawl is much more like a party game for a small group of casual gamers new to Smash, which I define as "silly." If you don't like that definition, fine by me.
And World of Light is much more serious and dire. Instead of being bombed into another dimension, everyone but Kirby got disintegrated.
What about Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, ZSS, Snake, Ike, Marth, or any other character that is not inherently cartoony? What character was made more cartoony in SSBB then he is in SSBU?
Luigi, Falcon and Olimar, if you want even more examples.
How exactly will SSBU make Dedede look more serious? By making him only throw living spike balls instead of "living pillows"?
While that's part of it, not the main reason. Mostly because of his shadow in SSBU. It's much more detailed. In K. Rool's trailer, he was also able to intimidate the Kongs, which is also a good factor.
Wtf do you mean by ‘ridiculous’ look? Brawl looked absolutely fine, and if you don’t like it that’s fine, but don’t go around ****-posting about it regardless.
Did I ever say that I didn't like Brawl's look? I'll say this one more time: I didn't mean that Brawl was silly because of graphics. I meant that it was silly because it's much more suited to young casual players.

Did I ever say that I didn't like Brawl's look? I'll say this one more time: I didn't mean that Brawl was silly because of graphics. I meant that it was silly because it's much more suited to young casual players.
And there is a pretty even split between casual and competitive players, so whats your point? Everyone deserves to enjoy smash, not just competitive players, and Sakurai tried to give casual players something good with brawl. And imo he succeeded. Also you do realize that if the characters in WoL were actually ‘disintegrated’ Kirby wouldn’t be able to go around saving them like he does.

Story-wise, Ultimate is shaping up to be the most serious. Was everyone except Kirby being vaporized in the very first cutscene of the story mode not enough of a tip-off that no punches are being pulled this time?
I admit that SSBU looks like it is going to be equally serious in story but I do still not think that it's story is more serious. Just having a large scale does not make it more serious. Besides, Tabuu also tried changing everyone into trophies just like Galeem does. SSBB's story is serious not because of it's large scale but because it was the opposite of cartoony and goofy. Even goofy characters like DDD and Diddy had serious stories with only some goofiness on the side.

While that's part of it, not the main reason. Mostly because of his shadow in SSBU. It's much more detailed. In K. Rool's trailer, he was also able to intimidate the Kongs, which is also a good factor.
By having their eyes poop out in a cartoony way, followed by him laughing in the most goofy way possible.

And there is a pretty even split between casual and competitive players, so whats your point? Everyone deserves to enjoy smash, not just competitive players, and Sakurai tried to give casual players something good with brawl. And imo he succeeded. Also you do realize that if the characters in WoL were actually ‘disintegrated’ Kirby wouldn’t be able to go around saving them like he does.
I never meant that "silly" was supposed to be a negative word. I still play Brawl to this day and I enjoy it a lot.
And their bodies were disintegrated. It's like reincarnation: Your body is unable to live but your spirit lives on eternally. Sound familiar?
By having their eyes poop out in a cartoony way, followed by him laughing in the most goofy way possible.
Eyes were for the DK franchise, and we at least had a moment where he tried to be serious.

Top Bottom