• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Debater Nomination Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
It's evident? Faithkeeper made a pretty good case for reducing the amount of Debate Hall -> Proving Grounds posts.
Gheb_01, if you were interested in reading it, here's the link, It's my third post(the big one): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231345

I was actually playing the devil's advocate in my conclusion, I don't think DH members should leave completely, but I also believe some of the points need to be considered. The whole thing was 1/2 devil's advocate, 1/2 not really.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Okay people, here are my Internet arguers:

Nysarc(sp?)
Teran(needs to be more active)
Vickey

Any objections or additions are welcomed.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I agree with Nysarc. SOLID is alright in my opinion, but he hasn't actually impressed me, he is consistently good though and he works hard enough at it it seems.

He does note that it may not work as a conventional debate in that thread, but he just wants to see how it will work out. I agree though that it won't actually work as a debate though.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
What's up with this thread, though?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235085

It is by no means a debate.
Not yet...

Having two competing lines of thought on textual interpretation makes for a great debate, and IMO the song really lends itself to multiple interpretations.

Basically, it hasn't matured to the point where the debate takes hold, yet, give it time, if the crowd's good enough (I have my doubts) we should be able to get a good debate about it.

cman

Smash Ace
Not yet...

Having two competing lines of thought on textual interpretation makes for a great debate, and IMO the song really lends itself to multiple interpretations.

Basically, it hasn't matured to the point where the debate takes hold, yet, give it time, if the crowd's good enough (I have my doubts) we should be able to get a good debate about it.
That's actually quite a good point. We should do some literary debate in the DH. For example, we could debate Shakespeare's presentation of the king/uncle (I forgot his name) in Hamlet as to whether he is portrayed as greedy, evil, regretful, well meaning etc

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
That's actually quite a good point. We should do some literary debate in the DH. For example, we could debate Shakespeare's presentation of the king/uncle (I forgot his name) in Hamlet as to whether he is portrayed as greedy, evil, regretful, well meaning etc
I'm more interested in debating whether Hamlet was crazy or not.

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm a little burned out on Hamlet; my lit teacher was obsessed with it, and we studied him for weeks and weeks.

And SOLID is a decent debater; he hasn't done anything expressly wrong, he just needs direction as far as topics are concerned. And maybe a literary interpretation would be a fun little experiment? Someone should start a topic. Anything to get activity around here.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Literary or lyrical criticism and interpretation sounds like something that belongs in Media Metro or Creative Minds, not the DH.

Aesir

Smash Master
Literary or lyrical criticism and interpretation sounds like something that belongs in Media Metro or Creative Minds, not the DH.
Not if you compare it to reality.

Take the Book; Confessions of an Economic hitman. Easily would be DH material lol.

Or! taking the book 1984 and comparing it to the world today.

Aka the theme of perpetual war and how it relates to the Military Industrial complex. Or the Big Brother theme and comparing it to the US's position on privacy and how it relates to security and what not.

Then again I'm sure we all did this in high school LOL.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Screw that.
If we want literary interpretation, I want to know this:
If the New Testament is wrong, then is Jesus crazy or atheist?

:093:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Completely disagree, the topic is sophisticated enough to spawn a legitimate debate, so as soon as competing views emerge, it becomes a DH topic.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Okay, so:

Vickey - For sure.
Teran- Has finals for now but is very good at defending his stance, as well as playing devil's advocate.
Nysayarc(sp?) - For sure.

Some people were undecided with SOLID, so I would appreciate it if a couple of the active DH members around the PG's would give their final verdict.

RDK

Smash Hero
Let that guy Crynts in too. He's a creo but he's decent at debating.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Wait on S.O.L.I.D., I really wanna see how that interpretation one pans out.

über-venom and Botnik seem like good guys to watch out for, but probably wait for the next round cause the haven't produced enough material.

RDK

Smash Hero

über-venom and Botnik seem like good guys to watch out for, but probably wait for the next round cause the haven't produced enough material.
I second uber and Botnik.

cman

Smash Ace
In here we would use analysis of syntax, diction, meter, etc to prove why one certain interpretation is more valid than another, rather than just what the poem means to each of us. I doubt that happens in CM and MM.

The progression of the topic depends a lot on the quantity and quality of the responses from other PG members. We should really be looking solely at the quality of his posts and how well he presents the topic idea in a way that fosters debate. Past those couple factors, the quality of the thread is beyond his control.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Let's try this one more time then:

Vickey
Botnik
uber-venom
SOLID(Still waiting on multiple YES's)
Nysyarc
Crynts

RDK

Smash Hero
I think the entire DH staff needs to be re-organized.

I think you catch my drift.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I hope that was a joke. If you seriously have an issue with the staff, keep it private and remember the entire DH staff has AIM. Take it there.

The following members were pm'd:
Botnik, crynts, Nysyarc, S.O.L.I.D., Vickey, w!zard, über-venom

I'm currently awaiting their applications.

über-venom

Smash Rookie
woo hoo!
what's up people?

Oh yeah, and can I reregister at the proving grounds? I have unfinished business, and plus I could make some pretty good topics for them to talk about, if needed.

oh yeah, and the umlaut in my name. you don't have to refer to me as über. you can just say uber.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I hope that was a joke. If you seriously have an issue with the staff, keep it private and remember the entire DH staff has AIM. Take it there.
I think he was implying that he should be a DH mod, but everyone knows I'm first on this list, right? lol

Yea, I think you can safely take it as a joke.

Hey guys, I'm glad to be in, I hope I can contribute well here and become a better Debater.
And your first contribution can be... an interpretation thread, please?

Got me a bit jealous of the proving grounds,

RDK

Smash Hero
I think he was implying that he should be a DH mod, but everyone knows I'm first on this list, right? lol

Yea, I think you can safely take it as a joke.

And your first contribution can be... an interpretation thread, please?

Got me a bit jealous of the proving grounds,
Do you guys want me to post one here?

Probably shouldn't be the same song, but I could think of an interpretation that would work pretty well.
I think we should just let the first one run its course and see what happens. I'm not so sure an lyrical interpretation thread belongs in the actual Debate Hall yet.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
That's why the mods need to get a move on and get the people nominated in here! It's been procrastinated for like a month now. lol
I believe the more serious issue is people dropping out of activity.

This has been discussed before, but have we really come to any concise conclusions? I think I'll make a topic about it.:bee:

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I think we should just let the first one run its course and see what happens. I'm not so sure an lyrical interpretation thread belongs in the actual Debate Hall yet.
The first one might not be an accurate representation or means for speculation of a thread here. There's different debate styles, different thinking styles, and a difference in the ability of debaters. The results of the one in the Debate Hall shouldn't affect the making of one here.

:093:

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Two definite names i have down for the next wave are Teran and Lythium. This Naisen user seems interesting too, thoughts? Additions?

All in the spirit of the new thread in this room on looking for activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom