• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Debater Nomination Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
It's been long enough. I think most of us have seen enough of some temp debaters to want some of them in here.

However, the DH mods want to get a sense of who you do want in here, rather than just letting in whichever debater we choose. Conveniently, it will also reduce the number of people us moderators have to look through.

The moderators will make the final call on who to let in.

At this point, there are no definite rules about how many people a debater can nominate, or how many nominations a person will need to be looked at. We'll probably look at all of them. However, a person with five votes is likely to be given more consideration than a person with one.

Links to particularly good posts are appreciated, but not required.

If there's somebody that's been mentioned in the thread a lot, and you don't think they'd be a good fit for the debate hall, you can just say so here. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, PM some of the DH mods about it.

I think that's it. It's going to be a fairly lose process, so just go ahead and nominate some people.

RDK

Smash Hero
Quick question: how many people are we thinking about letting in in one round? Are we going to have a fixed number each time we do this, or are we just kind of winging it?

If I had to pick a handful, this group of people would probably be sufficient (in no particular order):

Vorguen, Raze, Straked, Aorist, and Arcpoint.

I'll probably go back and rank them, with links to their best posts later on tonight when I get some free time.

Aesir

Smash Master
Quick question: how many people are we thinking about letting in in one round? Are we going to have a fixed number each time we do this, or are we just kind of winging it?

If I had to pick a handful, this group of people would probably be sufficient (in no particular order):

Vorguen, Raze, Straked, Aorist, and Arcpoint.

I'll probably go back and rank them, with links to their best posts later on tonight when I get some free time.
I'm in agreement with this, they're the only 5 that really stand out in my mind.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
I haven't paid an excessive amount of attention to the proving grounds, but I would like to nominate one poster in particular, Aorist. If you want some good posts of his, check out the following 6 posts:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6905324#post6905324
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6904962#post6904962
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6897765#post6897765
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6879309#post6879309
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6873129#post6873129
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6851645#post6851645

You should notice that there's one thing in common with all these posts. They refer to evidence. Don't know if you've noticed one of the distinct differences between the majority of the posts in the proving grounds and the debate hall is evidence. It's personally a big deal in my eyes. If you make a claim you should back it up with evidence.

Also, the following two posts also show a lot of maturity in my eyes, which is something that the debate hall could always use more of:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6867190#post6867190
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6845519#post6845519

Aorist shows in the first that debating isn't just a contest. And in the second Aorist makes an apology to a fellow member. These two things, if you could have guessed, I hold in high regard.

And these, among other reasons are why I believe Aorist should be allowed in the debate hall.

-blazed

P.S. I had surgery done to my left hand yesterday, so I sadly won't be posting for a week or so (it's hard to type with one hand and when you're in pain). This is mostly a statement to some in the feminism and racism thread. I very much am enjoying that discussion/debate with you guys. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to it again soon.

Edit: I fixed the last link in the first 6 posts and sorry about referring to you as a girl Aorist...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Vorguen, ArcPoint and Maniclysane seem to be the strongest contenders to me. They are the most active and their post seem to be well-thought in general. They seem to be the right people for the Debate Hall.

:059:

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I haven't looked that much, but I'd nominate ArcPoint, Vourgen, Aorist, Nakurai, Junglefeaver, Maniclysane, and Razevex. Honestly I just looked at the threads and picked people who stayed with a debate, responded, and used logic/sources, and seemed intelligent.

only person I'd say no to is that Delorted guy who keeps posting.

I'd also give a yes to Meta-kirby, because he was funny to have in here.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I personally think Maniclysane's posts (an example of a weaker post can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225129 ) are too basic and don't show much depth. He is just explaining something we already know and then asking us for our thoughts, not creating a true debater thread. After a more thorough examination, I have to go with:

Vorguen ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222093 )
Aorist ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222732 )

I also like Raze, Straked, and Metakirby. I believe all or 4 of them should be admitted.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Did you look at the rest of that topic? He responded several times with logical explanations. it's a little basic, but he's good enough, this isn't some super club, we're just making sure dummies don't come in, say "well obviously this" then never respond or come back. besides, he's not bad.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Did you look at the rest of that topic? He responded several times with logical explanations. it's a little basic, but he's good enough, this isn't some super club, we're just making sure dummies don't come in, say "well obviously this" then never respond or come back. besides, he's not bad.
Right but did you see CrimsonKing saying we are only looking for 4 or 5 qualified members right now. I wanted 10, and he's in the top 10, but he isn't in the top 5.

Your thoughts??

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Right but did you see CrimsonKing saying we are only looking for 4 or 5 qualified members right now.
No I didn't, where did he say that?

edit: actually i looked more and take back my Maniclysane nomination, he insults people

do people not picked get kicked out of the proving grounds, or do they just stay until they're better/they cause problems?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
ManiclySane and ArcPoint really impressed me on this page (last one): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225129

I consider them to have great potential for the room, and that is a key thing we need to look for - do they have potential to be good debaters? These two have a bit to learn, but I was pleased reading their ability to actually stick to a point and sway slightly. Eor, I will check out the claims that Manic insults people, but if it's not too severe, I will just give him a verbal warning.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Hmm, I could of sworn that in that thread I saw ManiclySane calling someone a "stupid ******" or something similar to that, but I don't see it now, so maybe it was in a different thread, or I'm just dumb and misread something

RDK

Smash Hero
Hmm, I could of sworn that in that thread I saw ManiclySane calling someone a "stupid ******" or something similar to that, but I don't see it now, so maybe it was in a different thread, or I'm just dumb and misread something
Was it Metakirby? If so, it was probably warranted.

D

Deleted member

yeah. **** that delorted guy. hes a big nub

Vorguen, Narukari, ManiclySane, ArcPoint, Raze, Aorist.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I think Straked is pretty much in. His posts aren't too loud, but address the topic very well.

He had me at <space bar>.

RDK

Smash Hero
Aorist seems to be doing a really good job. I think his more recent points more than make up for his little blunder with Delorted.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♡Aorist and Straked seem like really good candidates. It seems pretty redundant for me to say the reasons, seeing how most of them were already covered. ;)

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
After reviewing all the members who were nominated, I've decided to let the following users into the Debate Hall:

Vorguen
Straked
Aorist
Arcpoint
Razevex
Maniclysane
Narukari

Yes, that's almost everyone who was nominated. A number of them are less then perfect, but all show a good deal of promise, in my eyes.

Feel free to continue to submit new nominations as more Temp Debaters catch your attention. We'll have another wave of admissions at some point, although I think we're good for right now.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Med, it seems Azua finally updated my account on accepting members in. I'll be letting in those who've applied after getting a PM from you:
Straked
RazeveX

The rest haven't applied yet, probably because they haven't checked their PM's.
Vorguen

Aorist
Arcpoint

Maniclysane
Narukari
-------------
I'll be sending the newcomers a PM since we don't have an auto-message after accepting, which I want to talk to you about.

RDK

Smash Hero
I've been quite impressed by Vickey's posts in the PG.
Vickey is a moron; there's no way he's getting in until he starts supporting his points with a little less random sources and a little more in the thought process department.

Have you seen him in the suicide thread?

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Actually yes. I have read you guys' back and forth, and to be honest, I am still impressed. Just because everyone in the Debate Hall / PG is far-left, it doesn't mean that a person who walks in trying to defend their more conservative arguments are wrong. In fact, seeing as how Vickey is the only person in there even offering a conservative viewpoint, and sticking to it well, despite basically having nobody to agree with her, I would say again that yes, I am thoroughly impressed. It is worlds easier to just take the bait and debate about what everybody would agree with, it takes a lot more guts to stand your ground when you are the only one.

I am sure I am not the only person who is impressed either. Sorry RDK, I mean no disrespect but, you have a bad habit of thinking you are the only person that can be right.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Doesn't really matter if Vickey comes off as a moron to you, she's still debating, and doing it well. Instead of just giving in, she's really putting up an argument, instead of making 1 or 2 useless posts and just leaving. She's standing by what she's saying, and every post so far had some deep thought put into it. Whether you like it or not, she's knows what she's talking about.

So far, I'm impressed with people like Vickey, RK Joker, and GSUB.

I also admit to slacking off in the DH, I'll improve on that shortly when I have the time. Sorry for the lack of posts.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Woa woa, a girl? **** it, she's in!

Seriously now, there's a difference between sticking to one's point, and realizing when you're wrong. I haven't checked out the debate between her and RDK but I will now before I go to sleep. You obviously haven't met Yossarian.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Okay, after reviewing her posts, I like her. I disagree with her, but I like the fact that she could benefit the DH. How? She can debate, just needs some tweaking in the "I'm also here to learn" department, and the Yossarian syndrome needs to GTFO. I replied to some of the things she said, plus asked her a question.....

Zero Beat said:
I'll ask you a question, Vickey:

If you killed yourself in the middle of the desert and nobody found your skeleton for 1000 years, is it still immoral?
Reason I asked was because she seems to be trying to load the word moral with other meanings, so if she's going to strictly define it, we won't let her have any loose meanings! If she denies it, then she's not happy that you're trying to strip the loose attached meanings from it. Because that's probably her real goal, it's those other meanings, and this is just a tool.:chuckle:

D

Deleted member

Yossarian was a one-eyed genius. Haters get outta here.

RDK

Smash Hero
Actually yes. I have read you guys' back and forth, and to be honest, I am still impressed. Just because everyone in the Debate Hall / PG is far-left, it doesn't mean that a person who walks in trying to defend their more conservative arguments are wrong. In fact, seeing as how Vickey is the only person in there even offering a conservative viewpoint, and sticking to it well, despite basically having nobody to agree with her, I would say again that yes, I am thoroughly impressed. It is worlds easier to just take the bait and debate about what everybody would agree with, it takes a lot more guts to stand your ground when you are the only one.

I am sure I am not the only person who is impressed either. Sorry RDK, I mean no disrespect but, you have a bad habit of thinking you are the only person that can be right.
Doesn't really matter if Vickey comes off as a moron to you, she's still debating, and doing it well. Instead of just giving in, she's really putting up an argument, instead of making 1 or 2 useless posts and just leaving. She's standing by what she's saying, and every post so far had some deep thought put into it. Whether you like it or not, she's knows what she's talking about.

So far, I'm impressed with people like Vickey, RK Joker, and GSUB.

I also admit to slacking off in the DH, I'll improve on that shortly when I have the time. Sorry for the lack of posts.
I don't think you're understanding. I never said (she?) was thoughtless; I said she needs to work on her thought processes a little bit more. The sources being quoted add nothing to the discussion, and were basically just rehashings of established law. The whole point of the debate is to show why the law shouldn't be that way any more.

Also, failure to realize just how subjective a debate on morality is makes me question her ability as a debater. Some of you need to go back and read the conversation again.

Edit: After going back and reviewing her replies to my posts, I realize maybe I was a tad too harsh the first time around. While her arguments are far from flawless, she's fairly rational and does a decent job supporting a relatively untenable position. I take back most of what I said about her debating skills.

RDK

Smash Hero
Go back and re-read my post; I edited it quite a bit.

On top of that, for some reason my mind is scrambled, and I made several grievous grammatical errors.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom