• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DBR presents: Evolution *LINKS ON THE FIRST PAGE*

Zander805

Smash Ace
Hella said:
I have tons of combos where I've thrown someone off the edge and edgeguarded them with back airs over and over till they died. But, thats boring as hell, everyone has seen that.
You mean like BOB$'s section in Evolution?

Note: I'm not trying to diss anyone, I'm just pointing something out. I like Evolution a lot. :)

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
Hella said:
As amazing as Ken's fox is (with the accuracy of moves and mind games)... ...he can't pull off a lot of the combos Zel can. And thats why we made this vid...

...in my opinion. Hahahaha!
You've got a point. I've seen Ken's Fox, but he just doesn't have the same flashiness as Zel, which makes it less entertaining to watch. I also like your idea: to learn and record never-before-seen combos that, as I'm sure you've heard alot, leave you with that feeling of "WTF I'm gonna go play smash...how did they do those combos???". Anyway, just though I'd say that. Oh, and sidefx's visual stuff was awesome.

I agree with masterwumpus; you should release the sections seperately...it would be really cool, especially to study the combos and learn them without scrolling through the whole thing to find it.

And about what you said about the other players at FC3, and the downsmash spamming and such. I got so annoyed at a couple other Marth players that I switched my main to Fox for a couple weeks. Chain grabbing and fsmashing annoys me. I'm starting to go on for too long as well, so I'll stop there. As I said before, amazing video; I can't wait to see what you guys do next. :)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
evolution break down

it's kinda late, but w/e

bobmoney part:
really good, but not completely amazing. nothing i never seen
8/10

clod zero:
i can say the same exact thing here. nothing wowed me here especially with a ton of great cfalcon vids out there.

7/10

mike nasty:
absolutly sexy. like any other samus vid, this showed a completey orginal style of samus

9.5/10

hellas:
i dont think it's right for me to rate this one, i have nothing to compare it with (i dont watch many peaches). every peach player wows me

10/10

king:
absolutely amazing! i love watch king's puff

10/10

dsf:
wat the hell should i expect from dsf??? :laugh:

10/10

the germ:
my favortie part, i didnt expect it to be this good since it's link. i have a completey different view of link now.

20/10

zelgadis:
that tech skill...omg lol your fox is really original, completely different from any other (from the way it seems)

8.5/10

overall: 83/80

>.>

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
Hella said:
but I refuse to chaingrab or downsmash-spam in friendlies. Actually, I throw all stitch-turnips off the ledge.
I understand, i do the same. I do my best to not just chain grab. It shows no skill and is boring. It not Super Grab Bros.

I jsut meant that since such a big fuss was made about it, i was expecting some really crazy things. When i saw the first DBR vids me and my friends were shocked and didnt know we could do most of those things. its jsut that most of the stuff in this vid was ehh. Some parts were too long and were combos we already see or do a lot. I would have liked to see some more outrages things that happened to work, but look amazing. Like i liked when u ran off the ledge and thru the turnip off the ledge and caught it just to throw it back again. Things like that are what i like to see in vids.

When my friends saw some clips they told me to fast foward because they seemed to get repetitive or just not entertaining

And to the peson asking about how to become fast. It comes from Short hopping, fast falling, and wavedashing. All of those things make the characters look faster (b/c they are faster ways of moving/attacking)

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Germisidefx production.
I finally get it. It's like you have germy side effects!!! SO COOLL!!!!!!!

Ok i'm sorry but that was a retarted post

cF=)

Smash Lord
I'm a bit late on commenting, but I really need to tell you guys what I think.

The video is incredible, in all that word's meaning. I never saw another video giving so much this feeling that smash is the best game ever; a video that truly appeals you. Watching this masterpiece makes you wanna play, and makes you wanna have fun. To the entire crew, I must say congrats, those 45 minutes were a rush of adrenaline, a constant pleasure for the eyes.

Also, I truly loved the editing. Those clips switching "from the beginning to the end of a move" idea was awesome and it kept the action going on. And Sidefx, your **** too good at what you do, keep it up !

Oh and after 30 pages, did anybody saw that Zelgadis in the credit is spelled Zelgaids ? Anyway it doesn't matter, the job was excellent !

Congratulation again !

Foxmeister

Smash Ace
I liked...
Bob$ combo on DSF with the chain grabs that got him to 71% and KOd
Clod's combo on German, up throw into nair, uair, dair was very sexii never before seen.
Miguel rejecting Ganon's recovery with bombs.
All of Hella's combos were hella tight.
The King had the sexiest combos in the whole vid, I liked the ending.
Look at DSF with his chain...I always thought I was the only one that did that...
I liked when the Germ spin attacked fox into the bomb.
I liked how you waveshined Peach so much, she turned into Ganon.

The GERM

Smash Ace
masterwumpus said:
The following is my opinion, which I'm entitled to, so I don't want any DBR fanboys flaming me. Feel free to disagree, but please respect my opinion.

I find it strange that there are over 450 replies and only one person has pointed out any of the flaws in this video. Well, not that strange I suppose. Still, somebody needs to talk about both the good and the bad of this video. I'll start with my thoughts on each section and then on the other aspects of the video.
Bob$ - My favorite section of the video. Great music, lots of great combos, some very nice editing and grouping effects (i.e., splicing clips of different opponents together seamlessly, grouping throw to fair combos, etc.). I liked the way you cut out quickly after the bair edgeguarding, it gave it a sense of inevitability, like "get hit with one, you know what's going to happen." Some focus on flash, but most of the clips were quality combos.
Clod Zero - I was surprised with the diversity in the clips. This was the biggest problem I had with Death From Above (too similar combos), even though I realize that that is mostly because of how Falcon plays. However, in this video, I didn't have that problem at all. Pretty good music, it fit the pace nicely. The clip at 9:56 is one of my favorites because it shows the opponent avoiding an edgeguard combo instead of blindly jumping into it, which seems to be the case a lot. Another good section of the video.
Mike Nasty - Mike is a perfect example of why so many people like DBR and so many people don't like DBR (yes, there are a lot of those people out there). I don't know how anybody could not enjoy watching his section of the video; it is so cool to watch his crazy bomb combos and unique play style. However, almost all of his section was just flash. Bomb edgeguarding looks awesome, but it is a bad idea to do it in a real match. This section also had the largest amount of 1 and 2 hit combos. From an entertainment standpoint, I love his Samus and his section, but there wasn't too much here in terms of quality combos. The wavedashed jabs at 13:44 were great. Music was pretty good.
Hella - The first song was really annoying, the second was good. Hella has a pretty good Peach, I found the double parasols and turnip throw aerial turn arounds interesting. They are very cool to watch, but seem limited in actual use. Still cool though. It seemed like a switch flipped at the beginning of this section and suddenly no opponent could sweetspot the edge.
The King - Good music, good combos. It seemed like Rollout had better combos, but since you made that first and didn't even plan on making this section that's understandable. The combos in this one also seemed to be more flashy while Rollout was very focused and tight. For example, in this one, you kept the off-stage edgeguarding going longer than was really needed and saved your opponent several times in order to keep hitting him. I was more impressed by the efficient comoing and well-timed edgehogging in Rollout, but this was still fun to watch.
DSF - The music was decent. The combos were very good and very well executed. The edgeguarding was nice too, but I wish you wouldn't save people when they are about to die. I also wish your section had been longer; I think the best player in DBR deserves more than 2:40, but I guess if that's all the footage you had then you work with what you've got.
The GERM - Good stuff. Some interesting bomb tricks, like putting it on the ledge and turning around in the air. The first song was okay, the second was awful. Not too much to say about this section; you have a good Link that moves fast and combos well.
Zelgadis - Definitely a big improvent in skill over Shined Blind, and you were good in Shined Blind. You still play a flashy Fox, but is has gotten much better and plays smarter (usually). 41:10 was one of my favorite clips. Music was okay.

Now, for the other aspects of the video. The live action stuff was horrible. None of it was funny to me at all. That was my largest complaint about the video. It was so annoying. The visual effects on each person's name were outstanding. I really like sidefx's work, he is very good at what he does. The intro and credits were well done, and I liked the dedication, it was very tastefully done. Releasing all of the videos together is an interesting concept and is cool the first time you watch it, but releasing all of them individually (and in high res) would be much, much more enjoyable, and I hope you do so (eventually; I know you don't want to work on it now).

Overall, it was pretty good. It had that same DBR feel; the one that makes you think "that was so cool; it's too bad that a lot of those combos aren't actually good ideas." In terms of entertainment, the only bad parts were the live action stuff, some of the music, and the fact that it was so long. Everything else was lots of fun to watch, even though I didn't come away with a lot of new ideas for practical combos. Game play was much better than the previous vids but isn't quite where I hoped it would be.

I am glad that you made it and I hope you release each video on its own without the live action crap. Kudos to anybody who actually reads my whole post and double kudos if DBR can take constructive criticism well.

Well put Wampus, I agree with a lot of what you said, but a lot of it has reason. Like Hella said, if we released a combo video of a bunch of tournament matches, there would hardly be a combo video at all. Actually, almost all of King's combos were taken from the bi-weekly tapes. We put out combo videos to show what each character is actually capable of, as well as the player. Whenever we record, we don't take it seriously at all, we know we're recording for the video so we try to do a lot of flashy sh** to keep the video entertaining.

On Mike's part, you're right, he didn't have much quality combos as we all would've liked, a lot of quick 1-2 hitters. Since we've started recording for this vid, he's been really busy with school and baseball. Mike had the least actual recording time. With hardly any time to play at all, a good 90% of his part was taken off of only two 2-hour tapes as opposed to me or Zelgadis who were on 20+ tapes. Miguel's the flashiest one in our crew, he really just likes to have fun, that's why he's so entertaining to watch. He'll even save you in a tournament if he doesn't like the way you're about to die(he's done it to me before). I'm sure his part would've been a lot better if he played more but we had to make due with what we have.

Same with DSF, all his stuff was taken off of 3 tapes only since he lives about 6 hours away in Compton and only visits on occation. We downloaded a lot of DSF matches on the hub to compinsate, but if you've seen DSF tournament vids, you'll see that he doesn't even do have the sh** he does in evolution. in tournaments, DSF plays really safe and just goes for the quick kills even though he plays extremely fast, where as when we were recording at Zel's house, we were just effin' around and having fun.

With the live intros, people either like it or they don't. Some people say things like, "It's good to finally put a face to the player and see a bit of DBR's personality". And some people say things like, "The live intros were stupid and quite rude, I didn't see how it added to the video". All in all, we just thought it would be a good idea to do something a little different from our old videos and show how smash can bring such diverse people together.

For the music, we always let the players pick the music out themselves for their part, unless it's TOTALLY horrible and doesn't go well at all with the feel of the combos. The music is also a reflection of us as people and the music we're into. Plus, I'm sick of hearing nothing but rave, techno, or just rap in combo videos. We try to provide a variety of different genres to satisfy everyone because of course, not everyone likes the same music.

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
GERM, well put. Your and Hella's posts have helped me understand why you made the video the way you did. Like I said, I do enjoy flashy stuff, and I did enjoy the video.

As far as the live action clips and music selection, I understand that those are purely opinion and that different people like different things.

Double kudos. :)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
The GERM said:
For the music, we always let the players pick the music out themselves for their part, unless it's TOTALLY horrible and doesn't go well at all with the feel of the combos. The music is also a reflection of us as people and the music we're into. Plus, I'm sick of hearing nothing but rave, techno, or just rap in combo videos. We try to provide a variety of different genres to satisfy everyone because of course, not everyone likes the same music.

the music is what i love the most about DBR vids. they show your attitude and personalities really well.

Foxmeister

Smash Ace
Are you just trying to get more posts or being the 500th post on this thread? 501!!! lol jk

Vegard

Smash Lord
This is the best combo video made ever, I think. In contrast of many other, I really enjoyed the intro parts. Nice to get a little taste of your personalities and things :p

Excellent work, DBR. Sidefx, Germ with the editing. You have really put a lot of effort into this.

But one question. A friend of mine wonders about something in the video, where he claims that Zelgadis is charing an u-smash, and it changes into a forward-smash or something. I don't know.

Sound very weird for me :p

it is 37:54 in the video i think.

Thomaz

Smash Lord
Ok, first off, I loved the vid. I don't think it's the best combo vid ever, but you're probably not going for that anyway. ^.^

I agree with what a few people have said here, you're supposed to kill people with edgeguarding, not bring them back. But it appears it's all about flashyness, then, it's good. ^_^

Also, for some of the combo's, they only work because the opponent 'tries' to jump out to soon and can't so the combo continues. If you'd actually wait a bit longer with jumping out of it, you can avoid the finisher. I've learned that the hard way. :p

And no offense, but do you people ever Meteor Cancel? X)

Anyway, there were a few nice things I picked up thanks to vid so I'm not complaining. Good vid, go DBR. <3

CozaMonkey

Smash Journeyman
Liked the vid. I enjoyed Zelgadis' part the most. Although everyone had awesome combos. Only gripes for me was the music. Liked the original songs better, but that's just me.

Good job, I can tell you put a lot of hard work into it.

cF=)

Smash Lord
sidefx said:
what are you serious. *goes back to check* i went over all the spelling like 10 times.. ;;;__;;;
Oh well, a little mistake never kills :p

Mooplet

Smash Journeyman
Tastier than the old videos put together and... uhh...

well it was great.

best part was 'what do you think of chillindude...'
<3 zelgadis's hair >_>

[K-12]

Smash Rookie
hellow, im new here, im spanish :chuckle:
this video is the best :) i learn of DBR, thanks you for this video :)
but die super fly doesnt have well control...:S
specialment congratulations for The King, Hella and Nasty
bye!

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
Macman said:
Germisidefx production.
I finally get it. It's like you have germy side effects!!! SO COOLL!!!!!!!

Ok i'm sorry but that was a retarted post

Ummmm dosent stand for Germ and SideFX (another person on this board who has posted earlier)?

Acherontic said:
This is the best combo video made ever, I think. In contrast of many other, I really enjoyed the intro parts. Nice to get a little taste of your personalities and things :p

Excellent work, DBR. Sidefx, Germ with the editing. You have really put a lot of effort into this.

But one question. A friend of mine wonders about something in the video, where he claims that Zelgadis is charing an u-smash, and it changes into a forward-smash or something. I don't know.

Sound very weird for me :p

it is 37:54 in the video i think.
If u pause it at like 37:53 you see him charge the Foward Smash. It does look like an upsmash if you watch it quick. just keep pauing it when he gets under the platform untill he charges the smash

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
Acherontic said:
wtf do you mean by "DSF O.o"?

You can't judge how good players are out of combo videoes. DSF is like among the top 15 in USA. By now, I think he just moved up to twelth on the Power Rankings (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=70743).
Shut up>.>
I SAID DSF= DIE SUPER FLY
And i dont jugde out of that combo, i just asked since some ppl said so.
Darn, i hate you :mad:

Urulok

Smash Apprentice
Fuzzylittlbunny said:
Hey, I have a question for The GERM and the DRB guys: how did you get so good? Was it just practice?
I ask the same xDDD

Top Bottom