• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dave's Stupid Rule -Current MBR Discussion

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
-Small platform with no edges
-Sometimes changes into larger area with ground hazzards
-High ceiling
-Large horizontal blast zone

For characters like peach and puff who can fight from the air without needing to land, the small platform doesn't hinder them and when there are ground hazzards, they are unconcerned. Combine this with the survivability the blastzones provide, and you have a stage that makes already hard to kill characters even harder to kill while giving them tons of stage control advantages.

IMO mute city was more unfair in the favor of peach/puff than corneria was for fox/falco (which is a lot)

Scar

#HarveyDent
also CP stages should not be allowed in pools IMO

if a pool comes down to a tiebreaker where 1 player has 1 more loss than the other and the loss was on brinstar or some **** bc of lava rest at 20% or something dumb idk that just doesn't seem right to me

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
So? Bracket matches are just as easily important. You can't say "oh I should've won my bracket set but it wasn't legit cause I got lava -> rested on brinstar on the last match." No johns. It's part of the game.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its not about the set, its about the games.

Example:
person 1- 2-0'd everyone but 2 where they got 0-2'd
person 2- 2-0'd everyone but person 1 which was 2-1 and then lost 0-2 to two others

person 2 has the same overall set wins and game wins, but one more loss. If it was between the two of them to get into bracket, person 1 would make it. If they were exactly even the winner of their match would make it to bracket (person 2)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yea clear difference. Its how you win that matters more in pools. Pools should be as even as possible, ie without the use of Cp stages to see who are the best 2-3 when placed on the most even stages.

In brackets only that you win matters.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Eliminating DSR would lower the tactical advantage of striking for the first stage.

For example, I might choose a really bad stage first match so I can learn the player, and not have to be taken there for the third match.

I had not thought of this until Viperboy actually did it last week. Against an IC's player he knew he would have trouble with, he let the first match be on FD so he could learn him, then after losing, he learned him well enough to win on his own counterpick, and the IC's "second best" counterpick. DSR elimination would destroy that.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Eliminating DSR would lower the tactical advantage of striking for the first stage.

For example, I might choose a really bad stage first match so I can learn the player, and not have to be taken there for the third match.

I had not thought of this until Viperboy actually did it last week. Against an IC's player he knew he would have trouble with, he let the first match be on FD so he could learn him, then after losing, he learned him well enough to win on his own counterpick, and the IC's "second best" counterpick. DSR elimination would destroy that.
that sounds like a terrible strategy

do you guys not allow a stage ban or something?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
That's why there should BE NO CP STAGES

They have inherent unfairness to them. It should just be a random stage list of the most fair stages we can come up with.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
also CP stages should not be allowed in pools IMO

if a pool comes down to a tiebreaker where 1 player has 1 more loss than the other and the loss was on brinstar or some **** bc of lava rest at 20% or something dumb idk that just doesn't seem right to me
I sense a little character bias here...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If we removed CP stages altogether and kept the 6 neutrals, i would be perfectly satisfied with removing DSR or using modified DSR (last stage you won on) for Bo5s

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
that sounds like a terrible strategy

do you guys not allow a stage ban or something?
viperboy doesn't need bans, hes just that bad ***. Also, he might have been thinking what better way to learn an ICs player than on FD. Then he could ban some map thats not nescesarely good for ICs, but ****ty for him. I know I personally never strike pokestadium vs fox or battlefield vs ganon, etc, but I always strike yoshis vs anyone not floaty, cause I'm so ****ty on yoshis. My friend tomacawk does a similar thing, he has banned battlefield every set hes come across cause he always manages to get ****ed by the ledges.

Also, all nuetrals are still biased and sometimes seemingly random.

dreamland = people with amazing recovery
we know yoshi's and FoD have their biases
FD = laser laser laser chaingrab chaingrab chaingrab

There is going to be some element that you wish wasn't there on every map, And idk if eliminating more and more maps is such a great solution

xbombr

Smash Ace
I'd prefer that the CP's didn't go away.

The people arguing this main characters that have a bad CP stage or a character that does significanly worse on CP stages. >_>

CP stages are good for balancing out some character match ups.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
In many tournaments I've played entire sets on Final Destination.
This is because player choice overrides the rules.
No one is forcing these players to pick different stages.

The way it's been for years is fine.
Why would we change it now??

That's like when we removed Yoshi's Island (turning blocks, not clouds) from the counter pick stages list. (Which was ****ed up TBH)

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
^^ Sveets totally right here yoshi's was stupid and should have been banned... it has walk offs

Top Bottom