• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
yea slacker that zelda chick (i think her name was chrono) was so beast! Im glad i didnt have to face her, im not sure my pride coulda taken anymore abuse.

*knives*

Smash Apprentice
Well as expected this tourney was really really gay.

But glad to see some talent at that place for once and I had some really good fights. Still a terrible tourney for having loser's bracket only one match. Who does that??!

But anyway Bwett our DK vs Ike fight was amazing lol.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Who got 3rd?

2 Snakes won the San Antonio tournament. I feel like playing a good snake now...I'm lookin at you, Id!
2 snakes took second and third. Mr 3000 took first technically although he did not play Trex because they split being brothers and all. And 3000 plays DDD/Sonic.

Lucky me to have been playing only Snake since launch. Not that I take brawl very seriously. I don't even have a wii.

Lolz I knew the tournament you had on the 19th would be ****ty. Just look at the entry fee. But if Dallas still wants to boycott San Antonio, that's fine. Houston, Austin, and San Angelo all showed up in droves. FYI, the owner was glad a few certain people didn't come to my tourney.

As for those without the time or gas money, I can understand; the others, your loss. I even changed the rules for you, and you still wouldn't come. Although we started a little late, things ran ultra smooth.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Wow, touchy much? Jesus, you like take it as a personal insult that not everyone in the universe packed up and headed to SA for your tournament.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Kyle, some of us have a real college to go to and thus have actual school work and our jobs to take care of; we've been down to SA numerous times, yet you guys never travel up here.

Dallas is the most travelled city in Texas. And by Dallas, I mean me, Wobbles and bluezaft, with occasional cameos by UTD Zac and others.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Wow, touchy much? Jesus, you like take it as a personal insult that not everyone in the universe packed up and headed to SA for your tournament.
Just go back and read your own stuff, you took everything personally, and when people started saying you're being way too serious, I noticed you took off. I'm just laughing that you went ahead and declared for Dallas that you wouldn't come like it was a political statement.

As for that 30 page paper or something you mentioned, yes, that does suck.

Kyle, some of us have a real college to go to and thus have actual school work and our jobs to take care of; we've been down to SA numerous times, yet you guys never travel up here.

Dallas is the most travelled city in Texas. And by Dallas, I mean me, Wobbles and bluezaft, with occasional cameos by UTD Zac and others.
Like I already stated, I know that some people didn't have time. Dallas is pretty far. It was just all the dumb spam that you guys brought to my thread. Ya'll missed out. And San Antonio stopped traveling after me and forkgirl stopped doing the road trips, since we both now lack vehicles.

And no, it was not a disaster without you:psycho: DugFinn is amazing at running tournaments.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
You're talking about chickenwing, here, let's not get carried away. I mean...it's chickenwing. He's like the dumbest person I've ever encountered. I stopped responding to him because nothing I could say could possibly get through to him. I'm sure you must know this well.

I have a good idea. Since I'm pretty sure you haven't left San Antonio for a smash tournament since MLG Dallas, how about you don't go complaining to people for not traveling? I dunno, just a thought.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Just go back and read your own stuff, you took everything personally, and when people started saying you're being way too serious, I noticed you took off. I'm just laughing that you went ahead and declared for Dallas that you wouldn't come like it was a political statement.

As for that 30 page paper or something you mentioned, yes, that does suck.

Like I already stated, I know that some people didn't have time. Dallas is pretty far. It was just all the dumb spam that you guys brought to my thread. Ya'll missed out. And San Antonio stopped traveling after me and forkgirl stopped doing the road trips, since we both now lack vehicles.

And no, it was not a disaster without you:psycho: DugFinn is amazing at running tournaments.
Why do you bother coming here and insulting everyone in Dallas just because we went to a tournament that's infinitely (ha!) closer than yours? I'd rather be out money from a local tournament than be out a lot more money from driving to San Antonio.

Not to mention the trip to the Italian place after the tournament was totally more awesome than anything in San Antonio.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Why do you bother coming here and insulting everyone in Dallas just because we went to a tournament that's infinitely (ha!) closer than yours? I'd rather be out money from a local tournament than be out a lot more money from driving to San Antonio.

Not to mention the trip to the Italian place after the tournament was totally more awesome than anything in San Antonio.
Ummm... well nevermind. I just wanted the quick in your face jab at Bluezaft because he basically just came into my thread to badmouth me and my tournament like I was the Axis of Evil. I do take offense to it because it's my reputation as a host. I'm glad it didn't affect my tournament.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
What's with the name of this thread?

BTW: I'll be making a Southwest FC compendium pretty soon here. (I'm just really busy with tests and finals atm) So prepare your FC's for imminent postage.

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. The italian resturant was hella awsome.

Oh and i think i might make zelda/shiek my primary main and make DK my secondary.
MK vs DK is not a pretty match-up and might be one of the worst in the game. Plus when i saw wobbles demonstrate the "proper" way to play zelda i was hella inspired. On the matchup thread they have sheik down as a counter for MK, but i think zeldas u-smash would **** MK. What do you MK mainers think?

Plus and most importantly, Zelda's pink outfit has a striking resemblance to my baby: Princess Peach :chuckle:
Princess ZelPeach FTW

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
What do you MK mainers think?
Player matchup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> character matchup, which I believe was proven by me and Idfection when I outplayed him for the win in spite of what is considered a terrible character matchup.

Advice? Pick a character you like and stick with it. Learn that character's movements, placements, damages and strategies and learn to apply all of them. Once you've learned how your character works it's up to the player to apply themself and be better than their opponent.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Player matchup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> character matchup, which I believe was proven by me and Idfection when I outplayed him for the win in spite of what is considered a terrible character matchup.

Advice? Pick a character you like and stick with it. Learn that character's movements, placements, damages and strategies and learn to apply all of them. Once you've learned how your character works it's up to the player to apply themself and be better than their opponent.
Evidence:

My ICs. They lost the greatness they had in Melee (they are still okay in Brawl) but I stuck with them. I'm able to place well against others now, unless it's Wobbles or I have been up since 3 AM and face a zelda lol /johns. God I love ICs.

Anyone else do way better in Friendlies than in tourney sets? It's odd.

ALSOOOO. Zac add me on wifi just so we can play at least one match since we didn't get to at the tourney. Ignore the fact wifi sucks lol

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
oh i do like princess zelda its just coincidence that she's kick *** against MK (i think). In fact i probly would have mained her in melee but my first smash buddy who was the owner of the game picked her first so i "settled" for peach. Best decision of my entire life.

Antway so ive always liked zelda but when i tryed her out in brawl i didnt really like her cause she couldnt approch well/ do damage well but i liked how well she could KO. Then i tryed sheik and didnt like that she couldnt KO. Then i saw wobbles play her and i was like"Ooooohhhh your supposed to use them together!" what a novel idea, using both sheik and zelda togeher! what a concept!

Yea im an idiot for not noticing sooner but there isnt anything on the character disscussion forums about zelda/shiek together, only idividualy so thats probbly why i never investigated.

Anywayz nobody awsered my question about MK, you think zelda does well against him?

oh and Infinity, i personaly believe character match-up are gonna be a ton more signifigant in brawl than in melee. Altho you beat Id's snake, you were the first good MK he encountered so i chalk his loss as a combination of inexperience and the fact that he was playing a great MK mainer. Next time i think the snake/mk matchup will be alittle more in snakes favor; not saying snake will win but itll probly be a harder battle.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
BluMilk said:
Anywayz nobody awsered my question about MK, you think zelda does well against him?
No better than other characters are. The Zelda player from the tournament (her name is Crystal by the way) was obviously efficient with her character as shown by the reaction from the other people on this thread. I played her in the first round and won with a 3-stock and a 2-stock.

BluMilk said:
oh and Infinity, i personaly believe character match-up are gonna be a ton more signifigant in brawl than in melee. Altho you beat Id's snake, you were the first good MK he encountered so i chalk his loss as a combination of inexperience and the fact that he was playing a great MK mainer. Next time i think the snake/mk matchup will be alittle more in snakes favor; not saying snake will win but itll probly be a harder battle.
There's no way this is correct. Character matchups were clearly defined and easy to tell in Melee whereas in Brawl it is and will be a blur for quite some time. Idfection had my number the entire time I was playing him, but in the end it came down to me predicting him and outplaying him. The fight was close, but only due to player skill and not due to a character matchup. Yes character matchups will be relevant, but nowhere near as relevant as it is in Melee. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbWWruY5Bqw

The easiest way to prove my point is my Metaknight vs Wobbles' Wario. That's supposedly a 'terrible' match for Wario, yet Wobbles still beats my Metaknight with him even though our Metaknight Mirrors are quite close. I say this and you probably immediately think "Well, Wobbles is better than you." Which is correct.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Infinity, I am interested in the tournament monthly or whatever. Too lazy to pm you right now lol.

Btw, personally, I believe character match-ups are a big deal when it comes to amateur players who have yet to unlock the potential of their character. Within this aspect of gameplay, certain characters rise up versus others. Take for instance in melee with peach. Because of her d-smash, noobs can win against amateur players because of inexperience with peach and the player they are using. Now once the aspect of inexperience is taken out of the equation, character match-ups become much less significant.

That is not to say that the match ups do not make a difference because there is no getting over the fact that some characters have something that limits another character. For example, game and watch vs ike. There is no getting over the fact that game and watch has a huge disadvantage when it comes to range. It is probably this reason why zac has a difficult time playing against me rather than a pikachu player or something else. Of course, he usually wins because overall he is better at his mindgames which in the end always hold precedence.

So no matter what, you can't ignore either effect because they are both of importance. Just in the end, personally, skill in knowing your character, your enemy, and predicting his movements take more importance in the long run. :p

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Character matchups are fuzzy when players are noobs. Right now, everyone is a noob at Brawl, so nobody quite knows how the matchups. When player A beats player B when the two players seem to be on about the same skill level, you can't tell if it's because of character matchups or player-styles matchups.

Only after Brawl has been in the competitive spotlight for a long, long time will realistic matchups start to develop.

So character matchups don't become LESS significant when experience increases, they becomes MORE significant, since both players know exactly what to do with their characters to exploit the weaknesses in the other character.

Infinity's video example is flawed, since Bombsoldier was woefully inexperienced against chaingrabbing since at the time Japanese players refused to chaingrab. He could easily haven gotten out of the chaingrab if he knew how. At a high level of play, Falco does quite well against Marth.

Matchups also shift around accordingly to skill level. For example, a semi-decent Peach has the advantage over a semi-decent Fox, but a great Fox ***** a great Peach. A semi-decent Sheik ***** a semi-decent Marth, but a great Sheik just sorta ***** a great Marth.

Saying that character matchups will be more/less powerful than in Melee is based on absolutely no fact whatsoever. It's impossible to know that. If you want to beat a Metaknight, experiment with all kinds of characters with all kinds of playing styles as much as possible. That's the first step to developing accurate character matchup information. If you find anything out, let me know. Snake and G&W seem to do pretty well from what I've seen. But who knows?

IN CONCLUSION...it's not that tires don exits...it's that we don't know what they are.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know how kirbykid makes his shirts? I'm like bwett; too lazy to PM lol.

Wobbles and I came up with an awesome idea for a shirt. . .

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know how kirbykid makes his shirts? I'm like bwett; too lazy to PM lol.

Wobbles and I came up with an awesome idea for a shirt. . .
There are quite a few in Dallas check it: http://dallas-tx.yellowusa.com/T_Shirts_Custom_Printed.html

There are also a bunch of websites where u can make custom shirts. Only bad side is you gotta buy by the bulk, more bigger the bulk the more money you save. Just look up custom shirts or make your own shirts on google.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Saying that character matchups will be more/less powerful than in Melee is based on absolutely no fact whatsoever. It's impossible to know that. If you want to beat a Metaknight, experiment with all kinds of characters with all kinds of playing styles as much as possible. That's the first step to developing accurate character matchup information. If you find anything out, let me know. Snake and G&W seem to do pretty well from what I've seen. But who knows?

IN CONCLUSION...it's not that tires don exits...it's that we don't know what they are.
If you know the matchups better, know how to play better and know what to do in order to kill someone better does that not make you a better player though? All of that adds up to the player being the more important aspect than the character.

Except for the tires...

bluezaft

The True Zaft
The whole idea is that you don't know the matchups better. Character matchups only matter when skill, knowledge, and experience are even. You're acting like players with even skill meeting is a rare thing, but you couldn't be further from the truth. Character matchups matter a lot.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
You still play Melee, Fire? I'm trying to find some people to play Melee with after next week is over. Are Rage/Poot/Brave just totally out of the smash scene or what?

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
Btw, personally, I believe character match-ups are a big deal when it comes to amateur players who have yet to unlock the potential of their character. Within this aspect of gameplay, certain characters rise up versus others. Take for instance in melee with peach. Because of her d-smash, noobs can win against amateur players because of inexperience with peach and the player they are using. Now once the aspect of inexperience is taken out of the equation, character match-ups become much less significant.

That is not to say that the match ups do not make a difference because there is no getting over the fact that some characters have something that limits another character. For example, game and watch vs ike. There is no getting over the fact that game and watch has a huge disadvantage when it comes to range. It is probably this reason why zac has a difficult time playing against me rather than a pikachu player or something else. Of course, he usually wins because overall he is better at his mindgames which in the end always hold precedence.

So no matter what, you can't ignore either effect because they are both of importance. Just in the end, personally, skill in knowing your character, your enemy, and predicting his movements take more importance in the long run. :p
See but the thing is that the difference in Melee pro's and melee amatures was about 90% the diffence in use of AT/glitches. With Brawl there isnt and probbly wont be any "Gamebreaking" tactics that will be tournament legal.

Without glitches the pro players of brawl will be limited to only being as good as their character is made, and thus pro players will be the ones that are simply beter at implimenting the strenghts of their chosen characters. Which leads me to believe that character match-up will be hella signifigant, and that the #1 player in the world will be a player with a balance 2-3 characters that cover one anothers weakness for counter-picking advantages.

Character match-ups arent as universely well known becuase of the fact of thier being 35 characters and current infantcy of brawl metagame. That being said, DIRECT charater counters, tho rare, seem pretty obvious. Example:
DK and Gannon are the easiest characters to juggle.
MK and Lucario are the best combo-characters.

OBVIOUS character mismatch.

Anywayz i wish someone would actualy give me input on MK vs Zelda/sheik. Im gonna main her reguardless but i would still like an opinion on it that doesnt include the words
"player skill" Just assume both players are at equal skill level.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
You still play Melee, Fire? I'm trying to find some people to play Melee with after next week is over. Are Rage/Poot/Brave just totally out of the smash scene or what?
yes sir i do, i like brawl too though.

brave still plays, as well as poot and leapinghare.

but i havent heard from rage since the release, and i hear he sold his GC.

:(

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
yes sir i do, i like brawl too though.

brave still plays, as well as poot and leapinghare.

but i havent heard from rage since the release, and i hear he sold his GC.
Are you gonna come to cvc's smashfest on thursday? We missed you last week....:(

edit: hey i just saw this on the ike boards and thought i should share. Its a quote from RoK:

The RoK Says this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is specifically for those that keep overflowing my PM box with challenges.

#1 - I'm a busy person. I'm working on Forums, I draw and all that good stuff. I have to do other things online and on smashboards I need to work with my Clan Blood-4-Blood. If I don't fight you, no skin off my back. My Clan comes first.

#2 - If we fight and you do beat me; The odds are that the match isn't of any importance. (RoK WTF do you mean?). If you ask anyone within my home regional section (Southwest, Dallas). I usually do better in tournaments and money matches than I do within friendlies. Why? As everyone know; I'm aggressive, because of this I work better in situations that leave me in a high tension state. Which is why I'm normally better if I'm behind by 1-2 lives and I'm on my Final one. I can normally pull off a "Miracle" and at one point and time, I was known for my comebacks. That being said; if nothing is on the line, odds are I'm experimenting and not playing my hardest.

#3 - People continue to try and insult the Blood-4-Blood Clan and my method of running it. Others continue to try to insult me and PM me asking to fight. Now, I hardly ask anyone to fight, or I haven't did so since about the first week or two after the debut of Brawl. A lot of people are obsessed with me and the clan; attempting to beat me or bragging over every little victory that they can have.

#4 - Right now, I do consider myself to be the best Ike. Why? I've beaten the vast majority of people I've come across. When it's a good connection everyone has problems out of me; and despite who the player is, I don't switch characters. I know on Gamebattles, a lot of people switch characters if it's Snake/Meta/Dedede or Pit. I however, don't and learn something new everytime. I'm a TRUE Ike Mainer. So if you're trying to say your Rank is better than mine. Did you stick to Ike when the going got tough? Or did you trade him in for a counter char?

#5 - Despite me owning in Ike dittos; as you all know. It takes more than this to be considered a Good Ike. It's about fighting all other characters; as that's what you're gauged in. Sure, I'm known as a good Ike; but you all only know me by Ike dittos. My true skill lies in the fact I can fight other characters; as Dittos are ALWAYS different from any other battle. Thus a reason why sometimes they're not even judged for skill at all except for that respective one.

#6 - A lot of people want me to write a guide. I can say that I won't do this because of the simple reason when I was in the Roy Forums; everyone didn't take me seriously and when I wrote guides; they flammed them and force me to close when I tried to help the community. 1 person with only 1 post commented on it and said it helped them, that was enough for me cause I reached 1 person. However, a crapload of people said I made that account just to hype myself up, which angered me anymore. I had 3 Guides I put my heart into closed down. Because of this; even if I become the very best Smasher when everything is all said and done, you will never get another guide from me.

#7 - Blood-4-Blood will be opposed to any other Ike clan and cannot hope for a Friendly alliance. If we're going to be the best Ike clan, we need to dismantle and take down any other Ike clans. So, I'm sorry if you're looking to try and be friends with us; the best thing you can do is disband your clan and Join B4BC as members.

#8 - Alliances. If an ally is friends of my enemy, depending on the situation I may or may not ask them to break it off; and if they reject or not, I may or may not declare war on those individuals. Tactical things are all in effect and you have to know what you can and cannot do. Do not think I'm being wreckless when I do things; there's a reason for everything.

#9 - Yes, RoK is spelled like that. Uppercased R. Lowercased o. Uppercased K. Stop spelling it "Rok" I didn't misspell "RoK", you did.

#10 - Little known fact. If I am complete serious and fully care about the outcome of a match and currently losing. I change my gamer's tag and the color of Ike's suit. You'll know it when you see it and the difference in my aggression will clearly be shown. But this is very rare, and only on high stakes.

lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bwett

Smash Ace
Now thinking about it blue, you're right. We probably won't be able to know until later down the road.

Btw, I totally want to play some brawl this week before the tournament. Both bluezaft and utd zac painfully pointed out the lack of room at my apartment :( lol so I'd be willing to go to people's places sometime. I dunno when I'll be able to because of school and whatnot, but friday sounds very promising.

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
i dont know any of you people other than bluezaft T.T... neways im gonna be in town for a-kon may 31st - june 2nd and i'd like to try to play a little melee if i can if anyone is interested

Fonix

Smash Cadet
YOU DIDN'T SPELL HIS NAME CORRECTLY! IT IS RoK not rOk or Rok, or rok, or roK, or ROK, or rOK or any other derivation where it is not capitalized properly. Geez. What are you doing? You don't want to make him come around here and start cooking. I can already smell what The RoK is cooking.

Fonix

Smash Cadet
According to his post he dominates in tournament settings though! I mean if he said it online it must be true...then again I've seen tournament results online from every major dallas tournament since brawl came out and I don't recall seeing him win one of them. Not that I did either, but then again I didn't post how great my Ike was. Since the is a complete conflict in two things that were said online, then someone is lying. However since nobody lies online then there is a paradox and the universe is going to promptly cease to exist right about n...

tac0

Smash Journeyman
I wonder why rAWk hasn't been posting here.
I'm up for some melee on Tuesdays and Thursdays and maybe Sundays.
candle jack!
Oh sh-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom