• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas/Fort Worth! - www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator at 7pm on Thursdays

Neon!

Smash Lord
Me, Denti and ALSM come up with the placements.

Y.b.M.was placed higher because of his win on dojo
Infern went down because he hasnt been as active
Zac and Dphat were removed because they havent entered singles recently
Bad Karma has been placing well recently and we felt he deserved a spot at either 6th or 7th.
Swaka's win on sync earns him a spot.
Disqo places well and could earn a higher spot if he attended more often. This was only 2 months ago, he placed 9th,
same as infinity http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=321435#

Honestly dont see why this new list is being contested.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Me, Denti and ALSM come up with the placements.

Y.b.M.was placed higher because of his win on dojo
Infern went down because he hasnt been as active
Zac and Dphat were removed because they havent entered singles recently
Bad Karma has been placing well recently and we felt he deserved a spot at either 6th or 7th.
Swaka's win on sync earns him a spot.
Disqo places well and could earn a higher spot if he attended more often. This was only 2 months ago, he placed 9th,
same as infinity http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=321435#

Honestly dont see why this new list is being contested.
The only problem that I have with this PR is Disqo's placing. Just because he only shows up every once in a while doesn't mean he should be placed so low. In fact I'm pretty sure that he shows up about as often as I do and yet I'm in 2nd? Wack. On top of that - he nearly beat Denti at A-kon and he took Dojo to 3 when they played. He deserves to be significantly higher than he is currently ranked.

Other than that everything looks fine to me.

Lastly - You say "I don't see how this is being contested" when one of the three panelists who came up with this was the first person to 'contest' it. Just pointing that out.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Infinity's defense for Disqo by default applies to me too
I really wouldn't have any problem with either of you being in that slot. /shrug

This is why I prefer tiers to an actual power rankings list. I could easily see something like this being a reality:

A Tier
Denti, Infinity, Infern Angelis, Y.b.M., UTD Zac

B Tier
ALSM, Disqo Bunny, FK

C Tier
Neon, Bad Karma, Swaka, Dark Falco, Brettster

Awestin and Andy tier
Awestin, DPhat

I have no idea where Awestin or Andy would go, lol. But the idea is that anyone within any given tier should be able to reasonably beat the other players within that tier and compete with players in the tier above them in either a money match or tournament play.

Seriously, I had this conversation with a few people at A-kon. Right now the only person in the entire DFW community who has a solid ranking is Denti. All of the rankings from 2nd place and beyond could be occupied by any of a handful of people based on raw talent. Infern, Y.b.M., Zac, ALSM, Disqo and FK could all easily give me a run for my money (Andy too if he gave **** about Brawl).

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Drive lost, too busy making money on D3 atm. It's like im working 2 jobs.. work from 8-5, then 5-2 I'm farming on D3... ugh lol.
I'd be right there with you if I didn't have an active social life, lol (yeah, me of all people, go figure). Seriously, I was on for all of like 30 minutes last night because I didn't get home until like 10 >.>"

Denti

Smash Master
I agree disqo needs to be higher! A lot higher! BUT THAT MOTHER ****ER KEEPS SANDBAGGING IN TOURNAMENT OR NOT ENTERING. Right now, Swaka has a better win in tournament than him. But really, Disqo's skill level if much much better than his placing. He's only just taken a game off people, but never the set. I think his most notable set win is Tree's Shiek which happened half a year or longer ago. Which is silly because he can do a LOT better than that.

And Infern didn't go down because of inactivity. Ybm simply beat Dojo's MK. Something no one in DFW has done, he deserves to go up at least one spot imo. But maybe not. I'd hear an argument.

And UTD zac doesn't play Brawl singles anymore and neither does Dphat. If they show up to another tournament they can have their spot back. It's just not right to consider inactive people. Eventually they gota be cut from the PR.

k_bot

Smash Apprentice
IMO the panel of judges and the thread controller should determine a time period to judge how long/how many local tournaments must be missed for a player to be deemed "inactive" or to be moved down based on lack of activity.

Denti

Smash Master
IMO the panel of judges and the thread controller should determine a time period to judge how long/how many local tournaments must be missed for a player to be deemed "inactive" or to be moved down based on lack of activity.
Sounds good to me. Idk what I'd put... uhhh after missing more than 6 DFW singles tournaments? Also if they attend an out of region tournament that counts, but after 6 in region tournaments they should only be considered to be taken off. We'll message them and if they don't respond to PM, text or whatever then take them off. If they respond and aren't wanting to continue Brawl take them off. If they say they want to stay on we should ask them when they plan to attend another tournament? I was thinking something like that.

Neon!

Smash Lord
There are plenty of people that would be higher if they attended tournaments every once in a while.

I would love to get a chance to play infern or Zac in tournament since they're 2 "A tier" players I could realistically beat. Their lack of activity limits my ability to do that. Everyone else plays characters that destroy DK (Except for Y.b.M. <3 )

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I'm planning on taking megabus to Whobo with some others.
Add me to the list :p

Edit - Actually, if Denti can get his dad's truck I'm riding with that group. That carpool sounds like it's a freaking beast, lol

Everyone else plays characters that destroy DK (Except for Y.b.M. <3 )
I DO NOT!!!

Oh, wait....

I only lose/win when I feel like it, tell'em other half
Wah-wah-waaaahh! :p

Edit - Updating a PR system needs to be fluid, not static. There's literally no way to know how many tournaments could be in a specific period (let's say two months as example) and even less of a chance of knowing who will enter which tournament. The PR should be updated after every significant tournament to reflect the -current- metagame rather than one that may or may not be correct over a lengthy period of time.

I'd say any tournament where 5 or more of the people on our PR enter should count as significant enough to warrant a change.

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
i always felt disqo was a super high level player. i mean he spiked me. ME. I SPIKE YOU. THATS HOW IT WORKS. but seriously everytime i play him he reads me so well and rarely makes mistakes, could be that im getting rusty but nah it aint.
I'd be down for Final Fantasy. I've already got a picture picked out if we go with that...
lemme guess... the big K?
SON OF A SUBMARINER
This is why I prefer tiers to an actual power rankings list. I could easily see something like this being a reality:

A Tier
Denti, Infinity, Infern Angelis, Y.b.M., UTD Zac

B Tier
ALSM, Disqo Bunny, FK

C Tier
Neon, Bad Karma, Swaka, Dark Falco, Brettster

Awestin and Andy tier
Awestin, DPhat

I have no idea where Awestin or Andy would go, lol. But the idea is that anyone within any given tier should be able to reasonably beat the other players within that tier and compete with players in the tier above them in either a money match or tournament play.
YES!!! I have always wanted to be in a PR, even tho i was never
active enough. Now for my icon... It would have to be a foot or
like a shoe... that sparkles...yep thatd be my icon

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Neon, if you really want super serious matches then let me know. I usually dont ever focus too hard on matches, even in tourney. The only exceptions are during semis or finals. I really havent ever pushed myself competitively like others have.

That aside, I wouldnt mind playing a hardcore set with you.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Neon, if you really want super serious matches then let me know. I usually dont ever focus too hard on matches, even in tourney. The only exceptions are during semis or finals. I really havent ever pushed myself competitively like others have.

That aside, I wouldnt mind playing a hardcore set with you.
I have one word to refute this:

Quakecon

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
You people are crazy.
I shouldn't be on PR at all, what's wrong with you guys. It's flattering and **** to hear all the positive words you guys have about my skill, but realistically, it's just the bananas. If any of you want me to tell you how to beat me, I'll show you how simple it is. Like no lie, I'll show you right now.
Me pulls nanas.
You shield.
They hit your shield. This is where things either go my way or yours.
You react. Being catching the bananas, tripping cuz you didn't shield both of them, or you roll spot dodge or grounded shuttle loop cuz your ALSM.
I guess your reaction and attempt to punish. Grab or fair. That's always what I try to punish with.
Your best bet is to spot dodge when I get to you.
No really.
I'm telling you what to do, and even though you'll do it, I still can't comprehend my safest option and execute it quick enough for it progress mid match.
Really.
I might dash attack to catch you, but that's never as safe as I want it to be.
Pivot grabs from my hands are so unreliable.
And i might try to gnes spot dodge and do something, but diddys spot dodge is god awful long, you might have frame advantage and hit me or grab me before mine comes out.
Tl;dr?
Shield both bananas. Spot dodge. Smack my monkey. Ggs, free money.
That's what I am. I'm pot bonus.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I want to say a few things. While wins over certain players are good to count towards ranking, you should also consider losses versus certain players. It's about consistency. While Y.b.M.'s win over Dojo was very legit, it shouldn't be weighted so much. This is what I think the pr should be:
1. Denti 2. Infinity 3. Infern 4. ALSM 5. Y.b.M. 6. Disqo Bunny 7. FK 8. Bad Karma 9. Neon 10. Swaka

For myself, I have a postive record against the players listed below me on my suggested list (except Bad Karma; we're tied 1-1 from early 2011, haven't played him since). I have a 3-2 record against Y.b.M (I had a solid 2-0 win on our last meeting), 4-1 against FK, and the rest I have never lost to in tourney. I have never beaten Denti and Infern (0-3) in tourney, and against Infinity this year (won once early last year at Oh Snap VI), unless you count the reset in Grand Finals at the Infinity party.

I believe Infern also has a positive 2-0 record against Y.b.M. this year. Infern and Infinity are tied for this year. Infern has never beaten Denti, while Infinity has a win against him for this year.

Given the data presented, it makes sense to have top5 like this: 1. Denti 2. Infinity 3. Infern 4. ALSM 5. Y.b.M.

Look at the whole picture (win-loss records) instead of just one win, not to discredit Y.b.M.'s win over Dojo. I admit, he was on point that day, while Infern and I didn't do so hot.

As for the next five on the top10, I put Disqo Bunny at 6th with his recent performances and potential. Swaka obviously gets on the pr with his win over Sync from last tournament. Bad Karma and FK could be interchangeable on their spot placements, followed closely by Neon.
So yeah, with all that said this is what I'm suggesting for the pr update (once again):

1. Denti 2. Infinity 3. Infern 4. ALSM 5. Y.b.M. 6. Disqo Bunny 7. FK 8. Bad Karma 9. Neon 10. Swaka

Thoughts?

:phone:

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
I want to say a few things. While wins over certain players are good to count towards ranking, you should also consider losses versus certain players. It's about consistency. While Y.b.M.'s win over Dojo was very legit, it shouldn't be weighted so much. This is what I think the pr should be:

For myself, I have a postive record against the players listed below me on my suggested list (except Bad Karma; we're tied 1-1 from early 2011, haven't played him since). I have a 3-2 record against Y.b.M (I had a solid 2-0 win on our last meeting), 4-1 against FK, and the rest I have never lost to in tourney. I have never beaten Denti and Infern (0-3) in tourney, and against Infinity this year (won once early last year at Oh Snap VI), unless you count the reset in Grand Finals at the Infinity party.

I believe Infern also has a positive 2-0 record against Y.b.M. this year. Infern and Infinity are tied for this year. Infern has never beaten Denti, while Infinity has a win against him for this year.

Given the data presented, it makes sense to have top5 like this: 1. Denti 2. Infinity 3. Infern 4. ALSM 5. Y.b.M.

Look at the whole picture (win-loss records) instead of just one win, not to discredit Y.b.M.'s win over Dojo. I admit, he was on point that day, while Infern and I didn't do so hot.

As for the next five on the top10, I put Disqo Bunny at 6th with his recent performances and potential. Swaka obviously gets on the pr with his win over Sync from last tournament. Bad Karma and FK could be interchangeable on their spot placements, followed closely by Neon.
So yeah, with all that said this is what I'm suggesting for the pr update (once again):

Thoughts?

FK gets 6, 7 is neon, 8 is karma, 9 is me, 10 is swaka. Do it.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Aero, you didn't have a solid win over me last game... You literally ***** me... So next time just say you ***** me...

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
206 bones in body. Need to know names of all.
Femur, Radius, Ulna, Humerus, Fibula, Tibia, Coxal bones, skull all have 10+ structural features I need to know (Femur alone has 17).
Have to know the types of bone tissue, how they're formed, what cells they're composed of.
Have to know major joints (knees, arms, hips), names of ligaments and cartilages associated, and what they do, and how they're classified. Have to know what each movement every joint can possibly make is called.

This information + integumentary system anatomy and functions.
In FOUR days.

Back to music, please.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Honestly, Im surprised it took this long for me to be taken off. I havent attended a tourney since March. Just so everybody knows, i am definitely not inactive by choice. My girl totalled her car about 3 months ago so were pretty much car-less atm. Good stuff to Disquo and Swaka on the placement. Im thinking about hosting another fest/possible tourney soon. As far as future tournies, I'd be thankful to toss anyone gas money to scoop me up on the way :)

Neon!

Smash Lord

Thoughts?

Rankings that are based on records just between DFW players are also hard to evaluate. I'm currently 3-0 against Disqo, 2-0 against Swaka and 1-2 with Y.b.M. I havent had the chance to play infern or karma in bracket.

That aside, I wouldn’t mind playing a hardcore set with you.
When I move to Dallas I’m sure we’ll get to play often, I look forward to practicing then.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I just play cpus and watch vids now. It would be nice to have splendid little smash festivity to practice. But now I work a lot and barely have time during the week. And I go to tournaments on the weekends, so yeah, I get the most practice there nowadays.

Top Bottom