• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Da Wolf Pack - Q&A/GD

Tero.

Smash Champion
Sooooo since I quit Sonic for Wolf and there is a little smashfest coming up tomorrow I'll probably be able to record a few videos of my Wolf (or I get ***** and switch back to Sonic, lol)

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
So I'm curious because I don't think I've seen any Wolf players really abuse this. What do you think about [aerial > midair shine > DJ aerial and/or flash] type combos? I've noticed that because Wolf's aerials have so little end lag, throwing in a shine right after without landing is pretty slick, and that's something that Fox and Falco can't really do.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I guess you could consider it a frame trap similar to how shine is used on shields, but I'm pretty sure you can make it guaranteed even at low percents, barring really good SDI. Here's an easy example: you nair shine to start the combo from the ground, bair and keep moving in the direction you hit them, shine them midair while you're right on top of them, then DJ and hit them again.

There are other setups for this kind of combo as well, like rising fair > shine for example. And at higher percents gives you an option to put them higher in the air so you can kill earlier with flash. (The only downside to that is since you're using your DJ to land the flash, missing is a lot more risky.)

Does that make sense? I'm only asking about this because I'm not sure if it's something so obvious that nobody felt the need to mention it, but like I said I'm not sure I've seen anyone do it.

Scythe

Smash Master
sounds like a standard falco combo from melee, I tend to do this a lot with wolf out of habit unless i'm misunderstanding you.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I couldn't get a single Dacus with Wolf.
What am I doing wrong? I did it with Snake, Wario, Lucas

Scythe

Smash Master
there's some character where the timing is harder and you need a different control scheme i believe. I can't do wolf's either.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I do claw all the time but I've been using c stick and Z for the Dacus

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Apparently if you set L or R to attack and you hold the button down while resetting the controller it can help with DACUS issues if you happen to be used to the brawl timing. It helped me at first because that was the game I came from but I lov me some light presses now.

Scythe

Smash Master
yeah i'm used to using every button for something different, so I never change controls. Oh well

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You sure you guys need both shoulder buttons? I'm glad you guys do because that takes less stress off just one finger, but you guys really set-in to need both?

Tero.

Smash Champion
Yes, I'm using R for shielding and L for wavedashing (better for WD OoS)
The only button I never use when clawing is X. I'm also using 6 fingers when playing (I was only using 2 fingers before I started clawing, now it feels kinda weird).

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Yes, I'm using R for shielding and L for wavedashing (better for WD OoS)
The only button I never use when clawing is X. I'm also using 6 fingers when playing (I was only using 2 fingers before I started clawing, now it feels kinda weird).
just specifically for WD OOS? I use to use that method but feel using the same trigger easily becomes just as good or better: especially for P:M where I thought they trigger as one input so it ruins the benefit with you having to release the other before WD'ing anyways

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Spidermad is right, I switched all shielding to L (says a lot being a diddy main with all of the bananegans and item play as well) and I think it's superior even with WD OoS in its current form. It's nice because I look at glide tossing, wavedashing, etc as elements of positioning which the left hand completely controls. The right hand controls all forms of attacking. It's almost like a classic arcade setup.

Tero.

Smash Champion
just specifically for WD OOS? I use to use that method but feel using the same trigger easily becomes just as good or better: especially for P:M where I thought they trigger as one input so it ruins the benefit with you having to release the other before WD'ing anyways
I'm playing Melee the same way and I just gone through weeks/months of changing the way I hold my Controller. I will not change it again. We'll See if I manage to get Dacus down with normal configuration

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
So what are the opinions regarding Wolf in doubles? In my experience I think he benefits heavily if he has a defensive character backing him up. (Zelda Ivy etc)

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
So what are the opinions regarding Wolf in doubles? In my experience I think he benefits heavily if he has a defensive character backing him up. (Zelda Ivy etc)

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Btw if anyone is working to make DACUS more consistent I've noticed that if you input the commands extremely fast at the very start of the dash attack it tends to work better.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
claw method works best imo if you like to keep default controls

the change was daunting at first considering i was used to using Z from brawl, but it literally took like a day in training mode to learn

just need to dedicate some time

ps double wolf is hella fun

SpiderMad

Smash Master
claw method works best imo if you like to keep default controls

the change was daunting at first considering i was used to using Z from brawl, but it literally took like a day in training mode to learn

just need to dedicate some time
As in switch to claw and back just for the DACUS, or stay in claw

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
claw for DACUS

just treat it as another input, and kinda mess around with other stuff in claw for fun or like just in case cause it helps to be prepared or something

it's all about being comfy with your controller/character/game + practice

Top Bottom