• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Da Wolf Pack - Q&A/GD

Metà

Smash Master
I find it hard to break shields with Wolf because once the shield gets tiny, all his moves just shield poke lol. Maybe I should try using jab when the shield gets low enough

Scythe

Smash Master
yeah i don't think i've broke any shields with wolf, whenever someone's shield is getting low a good ol nair shine always gets through.

Rat

Smash Lord
How do you'all deal with MK? I don't know how to hit him without taking a gamble. Also he seems to edgeguard wolf for free.

I could use some general help with that match-up.

Laser seems good. But if I mess up the height, that's really bad.

Metà

Smash Master
rambly wall of text incoming

don't over-extend your combos or you'll eat a string of up-airs. be careful when above him. when below him his options are limited so keep that in mind. lasers are good but work on shooting as low as possible. also experiment with lasers on platforms and ledgehop waveblasters. if he tries to f-smash, don't challenge it. punish it with d-air. shine OOS ***** him if his spacing isn't perfect so get that **** on lock. learn his recovery options and force him to waste his double jumps, and punish him when he gets back on stage with his various recovery moves. don't challenge him off the stage but make sure that grabbing the ledge is a priority. SDI his up-airs back and away and you'll only be hit by a few. flash is actually really easy to set up on him so don't let him live past 100%. d-air flash and shine flash are the most reliable. he's kinda small though so it's good practice for aiming it

Rat

Smash Lord
Turn Grabs
I talked to scythe about this a couple weeks ago and wanted to bring it up here.

In most situations where you'd use a JC Grab, I think a Boost Pivot Grab would be better. It's safer against spot dodge and has largely the same range. Plus it looks cool.

Defining what the f i'm talking about
Boost Grab - When you cancel the first few frames of your Dash Attack with a Running Grab. Smash bros version of a Kara Throw.

Boost Pivot Grab - Same thing as Boost Grab but cancelling into a Pivot Grab instead. Wolf will slide forward while doing a Pivot Grab.

Boost Turn is essentially the same as a running then doing a Pivot Grab. It's easier for me to get the slide forward from a Boost Turn. (Instead of getting random Pivot Grabs or Standing Pivot Grabs. Bleh.)

Comparing Grabs

Stand Grab

Grabs: 7-8
IASA: 31

Pivot Grab

Grabs: 9-10
IASA: 35

The reason I'm using more Boost Pivot is that it doesn't lose to spot dodge. For example: I'll try to JC grab a tech in place. But it will be a little late. Stupid Fox will spot dodge and shine punish before I can shield. That **** aggravates me. Standing Grab does not out range shine. But with a Boost Pivot Grab, I'd be safely out of range.

Another plus is that Boost Turn looks really cool when you do it from a Bthrow. You're sliding around them doing suplexes and shines. It also set's up nicely for BThrow off the stage. (Which imo is better than Dthrow/Fthrow off the stage.)

One concern you might have is the range. Looking at the pictures above, it might appear as if the Pivot Grab has less reach forward. That's not true if you boost it - you're gonna get a big slide forward. Boost Pivot Grab has about the same range forward as JC Grab. (maybe even more.)

A problem with the Pivot Grab is that you slide in front of the grab boxes. Making wolf hella vulnerable. It's not a huge limitation - I don't normally grab when I think they're going to counter poke or throw out hitboxes. Try using boost turn grab during a tech chase or after a laser.

Overall, I think the pros out weigh the cons. I'm going to be using more Boost Pivot Grabs instead of JC Grabs. Hope you try it and let me know how it works out. :)

Rat

Smash Lord
Yeah DACP grab. That what I'm talking about with the Boost Turn Grab. Sorry don't know actual terms lol.

You can use either. They are both about the same length for wolf. I use the DACP version cause i can get it more consistently than the Run Pivot grab.

(btw I use the words Turn Grab instead of Pivot Grab because pivot means something else in Melee than in brawl.)

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I use the DACP version cause i can get it more consistently than the Run Pivot grab.
Is the window the same for a Dacus using A? (does Wolf have a DACUS?) I find using Diddy's Pivot thing (the 1st video) easier than Ike's DACPG (Also don't like performing DACUS).
yeah. A boost grab is the DACUS of grabs
Boost throw though, that does or doesn't require a DashAttack?

Rat

Smash Lord
yeah you fascist diego.

If only you beat M2k and I beat pikachad that mysterious masked mario. Wolf Dittos Losers semis! Everyone would of lost their minds - wolf dittos are super hype.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
has anyone found any advantages of playing wold rather than the other spacies? Wolf is so fun to play but I feel like playing falco or fox reaps more reward for the same amount of skill. What characters in particular do you think that wolf is good on?

Tero.

Smash Champion
has anyone found any advantages of playing wold rather than the other spacies? Wolf is so fun to play but I feel like playing falco or fox reaps more reward for the same amount of skill. What characters in particular do you think that wolf is good on?
Wolf is not a Melee character.
Wolfs head doesnt look as he swallowed a bell (Fox).
Wolf is fun.
Wolf is cool.
Wolf can combo Jigglypuff as seen in Scythe vs Hbox.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
so uhh i want to seriously use wolf in p:m cause he looks mad cool, even though i've never seriously put effort into learning any of the melee space animals because they never rustled my jimma- jammas. and seeing as i dont have p:m yet (or a wii lol) should i "warm up" with melee spacies (shine tactics, sh laser, shine b-air) and all things fox and falco until i get my hands on p:m? because i've noticed high level fox players (silentwolf, chillindude829) carry over their spacie skill to p:m wolf and tear **** up.
thoughts, suggestions, advice,nudes, would be greatly appreciated

SpiderMad

Smash Master
should i "warm up" with melee spacies (shine tactics, sh laser, shine b-air) and all things fox and falco until i get my hands on p:m? because i've noticed high level fox players (silentwolf, chillindude829) carry over their spacie skill to p:m wolf and tear **** up.
Yes

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
oh well...
getting kinda better with my pocket melee falco, i sure hope the skills carry over to p:m wolf
It will and it won't. General stuff like shffling and shine techs and up b sweet spot are going to carry over, but everything else is different. When I started picking up Falco, I subconsciously tried to play Wolf flavored Falco and failed. If you try to play Falco flavored Wolf you might have similar results. Just don't get let down if some Fox/Falco technology doesn't work as well with Wolf, and make sure you're trying to use his unique moveset optimally.

And just wait till you do your first side b combo. You might want to keep some fresh underwear nearby, just in case.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Do you guys use tap jump to cancel your shines or do you use X/Y?

Scythe

Smash Master
depends on the situation. for a faster cancel i use tap jump but mostly i use y

GMaster171

Smash Ace
^Basically what he said. Waveshines=X, anything else=tap

Considering "anything else" usually requires a faster input.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Whoever suggested that Wolf counterpicks to Metal Cave is a goddamned genius.

He dominates that stage.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Those aren't in the change list at all, unless you're talking about how the animation got sped up in the last update.

Also, just throwing it out there, wolf has the best alternate costume, phuck it looks good lol.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Whoever suggested that Wolf counterpicks to Metal Cave is a goddamned genius.

He dominates that stage.

I prefer the Wario Ware stage. Those platforms lead to ridiculous combos.

Top Bottom