• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Da Wolf Pack - Q&A/GD

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Welcome to the Pack. Here will be the place we talk about anything Wolf, and talk smack about others. The place we hoard our secrets from the world and tear apart invaders. Where we show our Wolf brethren our love. Discuss.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I feel obligated to post here. So I will.

Does anyone else feel like Wolf can have a tough time landing kills when his opponent knows what to look out for?

:059:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Definitely feels like it may be difficult but he has a myriad of setups and better blaster pressure, feels like a toon link with a waveshine imo. I feel like his overall playstyle is pretty good. I miss his brawl upsmash though.

AWOO.

Scythe

Smash Master
wolf like falco has no problem getting kills because shine is easy to land and combos into various kill moves or sets up edgeguards.

abcool

Smash Ace
I tested out Wolf the other day and he feels faster, all of his aerials just flow together. I don't feel he has much of a ground game though, unless you include SH shenanigans.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
What are some ways to combo into side b? I've only really seen SilentWolf and Meta actively try to do this.

(Sinisterb tries to do it as well, but just SDs most of the time :p)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
lol poor Sinister xD

I get it out of shine, landing uair, and throws sometimes. I'm really not used to following up quick enough though :x is it possible to combo sideB into sideB, just to be awesome and whatnot?

:059:

:phone:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
wolf actually has a great ground game. just look at the range on his attacks for one. his fsmash is probably the most ranged smash attack in the game, and is great for techchasing and setting up edgeguards. his dsmash is great for killing and is one of the best dsmashes in the game. his upsmash is surprisingly powerful (kills mario at 92 % on FD, uncharged), and is a great part of his combo game mid combo, AND to finish (sourspot fair > upsmash is guarenteed kill on fox and falco at certain percents on FD). his tilts are great: utilt is very quick and sets up for a lot of combos and can be used mid combo; ftilt does good damage, is remarkably not punishable due to the minimal hitlag and second hit that has very little endlag, and it sets up well for edgeguards; dtilt is a really good set up that pokes shields, and sets up for some key kill moves like side b and fair. all of tilts have a lot of range as well. now throw in a shine, great speed, good dashdance, a quick wavedash for positioning, and a great shffl and idk how u can even say he doesnt have a ground game.

also, side b combos well off of shine and dtilt. usually, if they DI to avoid the side b, they are DIing upwards, which gives u the option of continuing the combo, one of the reasons that wolfs combo game is so intricate, because he has a lot of different options for various DIs.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Its rather funny, I keep getting side-b hits out of the blue. Its like tech chasing, but with jumps (and against Ganon, everything else. shortest cancel hits Ganon's head) run away from ledge to lure ledgehop/jump from ledge, you are back there with a side-b. Its clearly not the best way in the world to land them, and I highly doubt it will work twice in one match, or even against one person lol.

Otherwise, dair, uair, weak fair, shine, DA, and a few others if they DI horribly, but dont really need mention here.

Scythe

Smash Master
Pretty much most of Wolf's moveset can lead into side-b, you just need to have the reactions and balls to pull the trigger when you recognize they are in range and in enough hitstun.

Scythe

Smash Master
I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully that's something that just comes intuitively.

RabidJackal

Smash Apprentice
All Wolf players should CP to Metal Cavern.

Yup.

Best stage for him.
Not a big fan of that stage, but I'll try to play more on it to get a better idea of how it is for Wolf. Personally, my favorite stages for Wolf right now are Green Hill Zone and Yoshi's Island (the one with the ghosts that pop up).

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Like a super majority of Wolf's combos lead up to the upper plat. Which fsmash has 100% coverage over. And Dsmash over's a vast majority of. The small space let's wolf chase extremely well, and the slant's in the stage accent his combo game. It's like so good. And the platform is close enough to the stage that drop through combos and strings are a reality.

And his blaster covers pretty much everywhere under the platform.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Wolf:M (2.5b) said:
-Wolf's Forward Tilt cleaned up to match graphical effects and hitbox timings
-Wolf's Forward Tilt hitlag slightly reduced on 1st hit
-Wolf's Down Tilt IASA is slightly earlier
-Wolf's Neutral Air landing hit's knockback growth slightly increased
-Wolf's Down Air ground and aerial hitboxes adjusted in knockback to be more similar, and both cause knockdown a bit later
-Wolf's aerial Side B matched in startup timing to grounded Side B, and there are now 4 cancel lengths from previous 3
-Wolf's Side B hitbox size reduced, and the trajectory can now be altered slightly higher or lower with the control stick
Check 'em.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Wolf:M (2.5b) said:
-Wolf's Forward Tilt cleaned up to match graphical effects and hitbox timings
-Wolf's Forward Tilt hitlag slightly reduced on 1st hit
-Wolf's Down Tilt IASA is slightly earlier
-Wolf's Neutral Air landing hit's knockback growth slightly increased
-Wolf's Down Air ground and aerial hitboxes adjusted in knockback to be more similar, and both cause knockdown a bit later
-Wolf's aerial Side B matched in startup timing to grounded Side B, and there are now 4 cancel lengths from previous 3
-Wolf's Side B hitbox size reduced, and the trajectory can now be altered slightly higher or lower with the control stick
Yeah, *****

Rat

Smash Lord
hi wolves,

so uh, messing around with the new SideB angling. Found out you can edge cancel the sideB from the ground on all the neutral stages now.

Here's a video:
WUF VIDEO

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Cool stuff Rat. I still prefer doing my edge cancels in the air but that's mostly just force of habit. Pretty nifty that grounded Flash is actually kind of safe now since it gives you a little more flexibility with your reads.

Rat

Smash Lord
Aye, I'm gonna try to use it to cover jumps (and still be pretty safe.)

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Yeah sounds good, I know you can get some pretty tight combos at really low percents (Flash -> Shine/NAir -> ???).

someone needs to do Flash -> Flash -> Finisher hahaha

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Are there any stages wide enough to let you edge cancel flash from on a bottom platform, then the top one after sliding off the bottom one? If so then flash->flash->flash could totally be a legitimate thing... on that one stage lol

also stop advancing wolf meta so fast wolf mains
can't have another spacie be 2 gud broke tier
cause he's not a vet he'll surely get the nerf hammer

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
I know that works on YS but you have to jump, probably somewhere else too. Drac's seems like a good candidate. For everywhere else though there's shortens.

Btw Wolves should use their shortens more.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Probably can do it on Norfair:M without jumping; you'd have to start offstage though. I'd test but alas, won't have wii access til tonight.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well not that many people have played wolf with too much success yet. ike destroyed people in 2.1 (including mangos fox) and i think that caused the pmbr to take step back and kind of rework him. but wolf is to difficult for people to control as it is now, so his development is already much slower and not keeping up with other characters. too many people are still like spam nair shine spam nair shine shine shine shine shine x1000, and not playin smart with him. plus, a good fair portion of people still think hes not even that good.. look at the teir lists on the list speculation page. u will see very few where wolf is top tier.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Ike isn't what beat mango's fox. Mango's fox beat mango's fox, with a little help from metroid and Project:M. He was playing badly that set and you can see it very clearly. No doubt the awkward mechanics project m had at the time contributed. And don't let metroid convince you he's a bad player... he's not. He's a good player, who tried to blame his success on ike... and then nerfed ike when he got into the PMBR, because he didn't realize that maybe his the same success that got him there in the first place was the same success responsible for him doing well with ike... and not ike himself.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
guys i pulled like the sickest combo today but it wasn't recorded..

fml

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
So I was fooling around with Wolf's sideb cancel to get myself to be more consistent with it, when I came across something that looked like it'd work in a real match setting.

Has anyone tried Jab resetting into a shortened sideb? (The shortest length possible) It looks like a guaranteed hit if timed correctly, but I haven't seen it used at all, probably because Jab resets are rather rare anyway.

It also is pretty damn sexy to pull off on someone xD

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Yeah jab reset full shorten works. Pretty tight.

I really like how well down angled mid cancel works as a follow up, real effective combo finisher.

DrinkingOpinions said:
Nuh-uh
Prove it
it will forever be in my heart

DAir -> Flashwalk(?) -> DAir -> Flash

Top Bottom