• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D.B.R. Presents: GENESIS! RESULTS-Melee: Mango. Brawl: To Be Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

The King

Smash Ace
Lol, this isn't exactly your ordinary biweekly, either.

$50 price tag for Melee or Brawl includes:
Entry fee for the Singles tourney ($20)
Entry fee for the Doubles tourney ($10/person)
Venue fee of $20, which covers the rental cost of the venue, tables/chairs, raffle prizes, trophy prizes, rental costs of audio/video setups we will need, etc, etc.

And it'll be the biggest smash tournament in history. Worth every penny. =D

King Out

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Yeah Pound 3 was pretty pricey.

Honestly, I expected to pay more that what I they are charging. (Thank you btw)

I am probably gonna have to shell out close to $600 total for going to this tournament.
Should be worth every Penny.

This will be my first time on the West Coast and I want to see if Big Cahuna Burger exists.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
50$?? A litte steep...
you must not realize exactly what's going on here...
Honestly, I expected to pay more that what I they are charging. (Thank you btw)

I am probably gonna have to shell out close to $600 total for going to this tournament.
Should be worth every Penny.

This will be my first time on the West Coast
pretty much my exact feelings [and cost o_O]

gonna be the best vacation ever...

toasty

Smash Hero
cot 4 is a huge tourney and its only 35 to get in for both.. i know its brawl only but still
Maybe if rephrase it slightly:

You clearly must not understand exactly what is happening here.

I'm not trying to be mean but you obviously don't know what you're talking about if you're even trying to compare CoT4 to this. But that's okay.......................sort of. It doesn't seem like you know much about the community and its history [this isn't a put down, I still don't know much as I'm relatively young in the scene too, I only started caring about this game/site in Spring of 07] so it'd be hard for you to really appreciate the gravity of this landmark event.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Maybe if rephrase it slightly:

You clearly must not understand exactly what is happening here.

I'm not trying to be mean but you obviously don't know what you're talking about if you're even trying to compare CoT4 to this. But that's okay.......................sort of. It doesn't seem like you know much about the community and its history [this isn't a put down, I still don't know much as I'm relatively young in the scene too, I only started caring about this game/site in Spring of 07] so it'd be hard for you to really appreciate the gravity of this landmark event.
Yeah CoT4 is looking at between 100-200 people.

This might get OVER 400 heads.
Drawing INTERNATIONAL(non-canadian) attention.
Run by DBR (no offense chibo).
Probably bigger payouts.

toasty

Smash Hero
Yeah CoT4 is looking at between 100-200 people.

This might get OVER 400 heads.
Drawing INTERNATIONAL(non-canadian) attention.
Run by DBR (no offense chibo).
Probably bigger payouts.
exactly.

and this doesn't even touch on all the extra amazing things that are going to happen at this 3 day event [did I mention that it was THREE. ****ING. DAYS. you know................with most of the best of the best players in the world? /slight exaggeration]

CoT4 will be a very good and most likely very memorable event for all who attend and watch the live stream, but ultimately, it'll just be another big tourney that happened this year, but it won't be Smash History like...say...FCD?

Just sayin man...

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
So More people means to jack up the price? Never knew that..:confused:
More people means bigger venue, more required resources (TV's cubes all that stuff) and DBR obviously is putting more work into this then you would put into a biweekly and I personally believe TO's deserve some compensation if they throw a good tourny. Not to mention the payouts are gonna be nuts. And most of that is because the entrance fee is higher.

Cost is higher and reward is better, which all means that the money coming in has to be more.

Its the same logic as:

Why would you pay more for superbowl tickets than regular season tickets if they are both just a football game?

toasty

Smash Hero
I didn't say it was above Genesis. I also wasn't there. I just know that it was a historical event in the world of Smash.

Also...CM you can't talk about that event simply because of your life-ruiner status achieved through your relations with that amazing tooth brush XD

Pakman: yeah I forgot to make the football analogy, easily the clearest one to make :)

Fatal, you just gotta trust man...

also, if you're spending hundreds of dollars to get to this, are you going to really split hairs over $15?

I still don't think you're comprehending what's happening.

It isn't even Super Bowl vs. Regular Season.

It's like NCAA Basketball Finals Vs. NBA Playoffs

EDIT FOR NACHO GOODNESSSSSS:
http://www.norcalsmash.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=65#p209

place your orders peoples :)

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I thought $50 was a little crazy at first to. But if you look at it realistically they're not profiting from this fee.

$10,000 in the thread title isn't there because DBR won the lottery.

Eval

Smash Journeyman
Johning about 50 dollars only??

We have to pay for a plane ticket of around 450$ and its not even summer. So that's like ticket + Entrance fee + Food + place to stay + Transportation if needed lol...

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer

We have to pay for a plane ticket of around 450$ and its not even summer. So that's like ticket + Entrance fee + Food + place to stay + Transportation if needed lol...
Well that is only about $50 more than Philly is probably gonna have to pay for transportation and I imagine Boston will have similar pricing.

Eval

Smash Journeyman
Well that is only about $50 more than Philly is probably gonna have to pay for transportation and I imagine Boston will have similar pricing.
Ewww lol, at least plane is faster... Last big road trip I had was from Florida (Tampa Bay) to Niagara's falls and it was horrible. Good luck with your trip, at least it will be more fun than driving with family.

sidefx

Smash Champion
like king broke it down as far as price goes earlier

20 dollars for singles, 10 dollars for teams (which per player = a total of 20 per team) and 20 for the venue, and all other expences.

honestly.. we are profiting almost nothing from that price. the only way we are seeing money, is from food sales, and tshirt sales.

thats really it. were not here to jip you guys on the cash, and charge extra and take a cut from it

100% of all entry costs will go straight to the pot..

and honestly? the 10k pot was a rough estimation of around 200 or so players. seeing how the preregistration was up for 2 days, and got 300ish people, aib has 290 right now by its self only for brawl..

were expecting around 400-500 people probably more. which would jack up that prize pot to.. well you guys can do the math on that.. but i wouldnt be suprised if it hit 20-25k pot.

So Fatal

Smash Master

if you read my post I am flying also.. probly ganna cost 300 and I am Human and do Eat also...:mad:

Eval

Smash Journeyman
Oh i misread what Pakman said, "Philly is probably gonna have to pay for transportation", so I somehow thought you were going on a car/bus or somehting lol. My bad nvm me...

trademark0013

Smash Champion
I think the brawl vs melee debate should be finally ended here. After the tournaments over move out every table chair and tv..... Melee players on one side of the room.... brawl on the other... DODGE BALL!
i'd prefer a huge fight....
but dodgeball works too
we have in n out. =)
any other places of eating ppl must kno about? i'm planning vacation during this week as well and wanna kno :)
Pools with 400-500 people....oh my goodness. Lets do a huge bracket and be there for 2 weeks :D
with quintuple elimination XD

sidefx

Smash Champion
if you guys stop by in san francisco, you have to go to fishermans wharf and check out the authentic clam chowder, as well as other sea food places in and around pier 39. its about 1 hour with BART (Subway system) from genesis.

in n out is JUST out side walking distance from genesis, like a 2 minute drive.

sidefx

Smash Champion
we wont know that until much later.. like in may or june. or when ever registration is finished, and we have a confirmed amount of people attending this. but we are planning for everything, from every angle and every possible situation. were gonna be running some tests as well for time management, kinda likea preliminary test run of the whole tournament a couple times to get it down to what we need, in order for things to finish on time

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
we wont know that until much later.. like in may or june. or when ever registration is finished, and we have a confirmed amount of people attending this. but we are planning for everything, from every angle and every possible situation. were gonna be running some tests as well for time management, kinda likea preliminary test run of the whole tournament a couple times to get it down to what we need, in order for things to finish on time
I'd pay $50 for this kind of dedication from the TO's.

This is gonna be amazing.

M@v

Subarashii!
if you guys stop by in san francisco, you have to go to fishermans wharf and check out the authentic clam chowder, as well as other sea food places in and around pier 39. its about 1 hour with BART (Subway system) from genesis.

in n out is JUST out side walking distance from genesis, like a 2 minute drive.
Theres a subway that runs to genesis? Sweet. is the station close to genesis in walking distance of the venue?

The King

Smash Ace
there is a map, and also a thread in the genesis forums dedicated to answering your questions about transportation.

www.norcalsmash.com/forums

in short, its not walking distance from BART, its a bus ride away, (roughly 10 - 15 minutes in a bus) or so. if you could drive to the venue, i suggest doing that, otherwise, you may get lost in the public transportation they offer.
Well there's that.

King Out

Metà

Smash Master
I think the brawl vs melee debate should be finally ended here. After the tournaments over move out every table chair and tv..... Melee players on one side of the room.... brawl on the other... DODGE BALL!
This is one of the best posts I have ever seen on this site.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Wait... what about the players who like both?

Corigames

Smash Hero
If you are lukewarm you will be spat out.

Or will will have to get in a giant ball and be thrown about like you are within the waring communities.

sidefx

Smash Champion
Theres a subway that runs to genesis? Sweet. is the station close to genesis in walking distance of the venue?
unfortunately it is not =\

its about a 5-10 minute drive
depending on traffic at the time, there is a bus route that goes from the station to near the venue..

details havent been worked out yet, we might be getting a shuttle service to pick people up at certain times, but more info will be in the travel section of the norcal forums. i also have a map there set up showing you the surrounding area and local points of interest including the station distance to the venue

edit: this whole melee vs brawl dodgeball seems pretty interesting..

ill bring it up as a topic in our next get together and see what we can come up with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom