• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D.B.R. Presents: GENESIS! RESULTS-Melee: Mango. Brawl: To Be Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
be careful with regional crews...from personal experience, make sure you have the time to run them :D

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
New update--NO ONE knows what the **** they're doing.

I want to go to San Francisco on Thursday. Kismet and Reflex need housing. Also, there are five other guys (maximum, probably less) that could use housing, but Kismet/Reflex are asking for priority if space is tight.

SOMEONE HELP ME QUICKLY, BEFORE TICKETS GET EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE.
maybe u could split a hotel with me and vex if we go. that would drop the price. or if u find housing, let us kno lol

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
So I just want to make sure that someone would be able to transport us (the roughly 5-7 people from Alabama) from the BART station in Pittsburg to the Microtel Inn less than a mile from the venue and back.

PB&J

Smash Hero
yeah mango..where u been at..anyway

um neo

who are u coming with son ..i can find u a space in somebody's room..just throw like 10-15 bucks total

honestly

i think housing is easy to figure out

the entire hotel is for us..means..hundreds of smashers at one hotel

one thing about the smash community i know is people will take people they dont know in at these times of greatness we call tourny's and i think if we squeeze as many people as possble in each hotel like at least 8 for the big ones

the cost will help everybody out

so people should start reserving rooms and post how many people are in there rooms and how much space they have .

this will lower the cost ..help everyone out..which means more fun and more greatness of a tourny

so p[eople need to stop freaking out..there are like 20 people from fl coming alone and i think we are straight , but if i find out ..i have extra room or if i can throw some other people in other rooms to lower cost ill let u know

any quiestions for anybody just call me or im me asap

631-484-0733

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
That's the plan from the hotel to the venue. But the BART station in Pittsburg is 8 miles from the venue. Walking for 10 minutes is fine, an hour and a half isn't.

Scar

#HarveyDent
is it just me or are signups for 1000 people going to take a ridiculously long time and therefore in the 3 weeks we have upcoming we should look for alternative means of pre-payment instead of issuing refunds

also please tell me you're not making r1 pools AFTER signups jesus god that like seals it, at the very least that means no crews and at worst it means COT4 MONEYYY BACK

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
is it just me or are signups for 1000 people going to take a ridiculously long time and therefore in the 3 weeks we have upcoming we should look for alternative means of pre-payment instead of issuing refunds

also please tell me you're not making r1 pools AFTER signups jesus god that like seals it, at the very least that means no crews and at worst it means COT4 MONEYYY BACK
And this time, the mob storming the streets will be 500 people strong.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer

They have pre registration they can use for pools. However, I think they should make people confirm their attendance or something so we can eliminate people who pre registered but for one reason or another can't come.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'm hoping they at least make pools before hand with the pre-reg list they have...writing 1000 names into pools at the tournament would take forever :laugh:

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yeah but i guarantee u at least 1/4 of that list wont show up and it will completely ruin a lot of pools. some pools will have 4 people, some will have 9. people always register even if they cant come if you dont make them pay.

basically registration is going to take a ****load of time for that many people, theres no way around it. one can only hope a thousand people dont actually show up.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Exactly 1 week until the end of June. After that, there are 10 days until Genesis.

instead of issuing refunds to people that already paid, why didnt you just KEEP their payment, those people are set, and then look for alternative means to accept payment?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
yeah but i guarantee u at least 1/4 of that list wont show up and it will completely ruin a lot of pools. some pools will have 4 people, some will have 9. people always register even if they cant come if you dont make them pay.

basically registration is going to take a ****load of time for that many people, theres no way around it. one can only hope a thousand people dont actually show up.
I think it would be faster to fix pools then create them on the spot. At this point they need to plan for damage control rather then perfection.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yeah thats true pakman, it probably is easier that way so at least seeding can be somewhat done. maybe make a thread for if people ARENT coming after all, they can be taken out of the pools? im sure some people would do it just to be courteous

pockyD

Smash Legend
people who aren't coming can theoretically just delete themselves off the pre-reg page

i don't think anybody would bother doing that though =\

The King

Smash Ace
Yeah, because mandatory pre-payment derailed our ideal gameplan, registration on-site is going to have to be extremely clutch on our part lol.

One route we're considering at this point in time is (3rd time's a charm) to set up a final confirmation for pre-registrants in the near-future to confirm if they'll be attending. This will probably be around the same time pre-registration is *CLOSED*. This will allow us to create pools with some definite finality in advance, and anyone that didn't confirm with us will be in Limbo, so to speak. If people show up who didn't 100% confirm with us prior to the event, we'll just toss them into pools that have room as we go along WITHOUT taking into account if they otherwise would've deserved to get seeded.

More on this later though; ****'s still getting ironed out on our end here. All we can do is promise that the only way this'll turn into another CoT4 is over our dead bodies.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Yeah, because mandatory pre-payment derailed our ideal gameplan, registration on-site is going to have to be extremely clutch on our part lol.

One route we're considering at this point in time is (3rd time's a charm) to set up a final confirmation for pre-registrants in the near-future to confirm if they'll be attending. This will probably be around the same time pre-registration is *CLOSED*. This will allow us to create pools with some definite finality in advance, and anyone that didn't confirm with us will be in Limbo, so to speak. If people show up who didn't 100% confirm with us prior to the event, we'll just toss them into pools that have room as we go along WITHOUT taking into account if they otherwise would've deserved to get seeded.

More on this later though; ****'s still getting ironed out on our end here. All we can do is promise that the only way this'll turn into another CoT4 is over our dead bodies.
if you do something like this with the final registration, be careful. what can happen is a player like ally or m2k or something DOESNT double-confirm registration (not even necessarely of that high skill, but a good player nonetheless) and they get thrown into a pool without taking account of their skill. so now the players who were in that pool previously who were responsible enough to do the final registration get screwed due to someone elses irresponsibility. just food for thought.

The King

Smash Ace
If we go ahead with the Final-Confirmation system and somebody good at the game decides not to find time to actually confirm their attendance (assuming somebody did inform them about it), we're just going to create a special pool for each player where their only opponent is either a Bowser Challenge, or HugS with the Windmill of Fury legalized for just that pool match.

=P

The GERM

Smash Ace
We were thinking of making a 2nd pre-reg list for only those who are 100% confirmed. This way seeding will be pretty legit.

PB&J

Smash Hero
well if u need me to confirm all the fl and ga players i will..but ium not to worried to be honest i think u guys will finish the tourny with ease as long as we have enuff setups and people dont play as much friendlies..jus get scar to scream at them..hes good at that..but im thinking we will finish on time..just make sure everybody finshes there pools mathes quickly

istudying

Smash Lord
The combo vid name is DBR Revoltion. King.
At the begining you see him playing @ a tourney.
It sounds like a Arabic song i need to know =o.

Scar

#HarveyDent
They have pre registration they can use for pools. However, I think they should make people confirm their attendance or something so we can eliminate people who pre registered but for one reason or another can't come.
No one will do that, there are tons of people who end up going or not going at the last minute, it's not the OOSers they have to worry about it's the local guys, who are in fact making up at least 1/2 of the attendance. Leading into...
yeah but i guarantee u at least 1/4 of that list wont show up and it will completely ruin a lot of pools
Yes, and fair pools will become death pools or very easy pools depending on who doesn't show.
I think it would be faster to fix pools then create them on the spot. At this point they need to plan for damage control rather then perfection.
False. We tried to fix pools for RoM, I ended up remaking them all from scratch -- point being it would have taken far longer to fix them than to start over.

Also guys, don't plan for damage control. Plan your ***** off b/c this event can be done but only if you're smart, tenacious, and ultimately RUTHLESS the day of the event. Take a page out of Alex Strife's book (can't believe I just said that) and DQ people if you have to.

Something else to consider -- Smash tournaments of the past have catered to the general apathy of high-level Smashers. Every tourney I've run has had people like M2K / JMan / Eggm sit and play friendlies while registration is going on or want to get lunch in the middle of pools, not signing up for events etc.

If I were you guys I would seriously spend the next 2-3 weeks preaching that whether you drove 4 minutes to get to Genesis or flew half way around the world, players are responsible for signing themselves up on time, and that you have no problem with beginning pools or brackets with however many people signed up and not including anyone after you say "last call for signups".

Scar

#HarveyDent
Notes on making pools

Sethlon, sure.

POOLS

If you guys already have someone who understands how to efficiently run pools, my apologies, but it seems that many people have no idea what they're talking about. I <3 pb&j but to say that if pools MATCHES run quickly then we'll be okay is absolutely false.

Pools run WAY smoother the less people there are per pool. This is not only because it's easier to find everyone and round everyone up when there are less people, but the math also works out convincingly so.

Mathematically speaking pools are most efficiently run by minimizing the number of PLAYERS per pool. More pools = faster tournament.

If there are X players in a pool, the total number of sets to be played are x(x-1)/2, so pools of 4 have (4*3)/2 = 6 sets and pools of 5 have (5*4)/2 = 10 sets. The progression goes like this.

0 - 1 - 3 - 6 - 10 - 15 - 21 - 28... from pools of 1 to 8.

The point I'm trying to make with this is that pools of 6 have almost HALF the number of sets as pools of 8, which either translates into a tournament running on almost half the time, or half the resources (TVs).

Pools of 4 have 6 sets
Pools of 8 have 28 sets

So even if you have pools of 8 running on 3 tvs each,

you will be running at a rate of 28/3= 9.33 sets/TV
which will take longer than pools of 4 on 1 tv = 6/1 = 6 sets/TV, plus you'll be using 1/3 of the TVs.

idk if my math is right here (I'm always right) but from that calculation right there it seems to me that if you run pools of 4 players each you will be running a tournament (9.3333/6)*3= 4.666665 times more efficiently than a tournament with pools of 8 players.

Anyways I know everyone hates the idea of pools of 4 (what I did @ RoM), but pools at RoM ran about an hour and a half long. If you have 500 attendants (which you won't), you're gonna need 125 TVs to run a first round of pools in ONE WAVE, which works out to 6 sets @ 15 minutes / set = 1.5 hours.

I think that that's the step you guys are going to NEED to take to make sure you can run FOUR full-length tournaments (singles and teams for both games) AND crews.

Good luck and seriously consider what I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom