• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

critique the playstyle above you

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
guess we can start with critiquing the playstyle above you. or anyone's playstyle really. constructive criticism. pros and cons. go

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, I suppose I'll set myself up since I'm sure most of you are dying to rip into me after rolling around in scum wins and Mafia Sleepover shenanigans. XP

Alright Marshy, the number one thing I love about your playstyle is how ****ing consistent it is. You've definitely got a better "game face" than anyone else here IMO. You're one of the toughest players to read and I'm always afraid that you're duping me, and that's simply due to the fact that you never deviate based on your role or alignment. You may often be minimalistic which can often be frustrating to some players, especially people who aren't used to that sort of play, but I find a player who can never give away anything about their role based on contribution, language, etc. far more impressive than someone who can write thesis on who they think scum are.

I personally don't mind your more streamlined approach to expression, but I do feel that sometimes you don't put enough of what's going on in your head on the table. You've got a strong scumdar and usually know whats going on far better than a lot of players, but you often don't inject that knowledge into the game and really ride it. Be a little more assertive and I think you'll spearhead some more victories. Then again, maybe being a larger voice in games isn't part of your overall game plan. Whatever you do, don't change your play in any way that will jeopardize your consistency.

So yeah, anyone wanna add on to that? Do it, or like, yell at me or something. =P

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Well, I feel Marshy is definitly one of the better players. He really knows what to say and knows when to do nudges in terms of playing town. Whether you play maf, town, or even indie, you really know how to intimidate several others to not 2nd guess you (then again, I'm sure a few other good players can do it too). When it comes down to it, you seem to really know the answers.

I wish I can tell you how to improve, but I'm not that good to really talk. Like FF said, don't change up too much. You seem to be in the right direction

-------------------------------
Frozen, I don't have a lot to say to you cause I don't play in a lot of games with you, but my god...your deduction skills are OVER 9000! *breaks scouter* That time in TLI...where like, you caught Macman in D2...we were too scared to let you live any longer.

I feel when it comes down to it, you really know who your enemies are by the time two or three Day phases comes up. I guess the only thing I can reccommand is if you can try to be a bit more active, but that can't be helped much with life and all

----------------------------------------------------------
I wish for my turn nao

Handorin

Smash Hero
I really want to see how this goes.
So when ever someone wants to give me a shot.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I can honestly can't critique Rockin because I haven't towned in a game with him that's completed to my knowledge, well that I was experienced enough to actually watch him.

However, Marshy:

You're a brilliant player in all honesty. What irks me about you, isn't really you. It's your following of people who if "Marshy does this"...it's kinda monkey see monkey do. That's one thing that when I'm playing makes me go.."Seriously?" So, I think I've mentioned it before in games.Don't remember how long ago. Now, one thing from you I'd love to see is more than one liners. When you post one liners, it's easy for me as scum to attack those and discredit you. It's that easy to do when comparing the monstrous posts of others who are supplying more than "Is blahblah dead yet?" That's one thing I think as players grow more will start to extremely rail on you with. Butttt, when I've played scum against you. To be honest, you're the only player I've ever actually feared. You've got the ability to ping people like no other. I don't even know how you do it really. Like in AIMmafia with no hints whatsoever "Blah and Blah are scum". We lynch them. They're scum. And my jaw wants to drop. It's just one of those thins I'm like "...HAX!"

You're one of those that is a strong all around player, but with a few draw backs that are hurting you. I think the posts is the main one. As much as I gain humor from your "If blahblah dead yet?" it doesn't provide me enough information to make an assumption on them. That is why cases are useful, unlike your "Cases are overrated." No they aren't, they'll be the difference in your kill actually going through in some cases where it didn't. Because I believe you have the ability to make cases that could sway the people to follow you. As it is right now, you can say "Wagon on blah" and it starts. Which I think is funny.

Uhm, I'm sure I could add more. But at the moment, that's all I got.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Like I said in the other thread my name is out on the table if people want to grill it to know whats up.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
@Marshy
Personally, I'd love to see more cases from you. Still, you know when to bus your partners, and I haven't seen a difference in your playstyle regardless of alignment. However, if an experienced player is lurking, shoot them. Especially if it's Tom or Frozen. (Oh, how different Wonderland mafia might have turned out if we had shot Tom N1 or N2...)

@Frozen
You're just one of those people that scum fears. Like, really fears. The only possible rip on your playstyle is that Frozen surviving to endgame means he's almost certaintly scum. :p Not much you can do about that, though.

@Rockin
Sorry, haven't played enough with you to form an opinion.

@Chaco
I still can't believe you caught Riddle WITH HIS FIRST POST OF THE GAME!!! 0_0 Still, I think you read too much into things at times. You always seem to be either epic win or epic fail. At your best you're incredible (pegging Riddle), but at your worst you're moronic (claiming cop in bad idea, claiming doc in wonderland). Cut down on the epic fail part, and you'll be a player to fear.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Someone should do me! When I can, I'll do a few people.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
mentos, I've never played against a scum version of you, and quite honestly, I don't think I want to.
from the games I've played, you NEVER jump to conclusions. I feel like you're always there to say "Well, there's another side to this story". When you're town, you completely exude town. Always having an eye for detail. I think this might be your biggest downfall, maybe not seeing the forest, because of all the trees, if that means anything at all. You don't seem to be the type to go for quick lynches. Just something I've noted.
At least, this is all from my point of view of course.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
frozen when it comes to criticism think youd benefit from being more active and taking more stances as scum. youre good at buddying people as scum and convincing people since youre one of the best players when it comes to conjecture. ff7 and tourney sleepover are both good examples of you manipulating town where i had you as scum near endgame but i couldnt convince others because the town players were sick of me and too in love with you to question you (though in ff7 i wanted to side with ronike against you but i actually thought thatd just end up hurting his case because of others low opinion of me at that stage)

one of the best scumdars

---------

rockin youre tricksy because i often dont follow what youre saying because of your syntax. because of this you almost always look scummy to me. i think youd benefit from proofreading your posts more and asking yourself "how relevant really is this post? is it easy to follow and understand?"

--------

hando
...hm. well you win as scum often so i guess theres not me for me to say there. however i think you sacrifice your townplay bigtime. youve been trying to fix that recently so i guess just stick with that effort

--------

chaco i think youd be better if you were more active and simply gave your input more. in wonderland you were like first on the d1 riddlescum wagon but you were still mislynched. i think that mayve been because of some *******modding shenanigans but i vaguely remember the town trusting you less and less as the game continued before that

--------

kevin
you have one of the best scumdars on the site and youre consistent regardless of alignment. when you say "i think this guy is scummy" i get more skeptical of who youre talking about than i do for most players. id rather advise the town players around you to listen to you more than have you change anything

--------

nick i think you get too intimidated when youre scum. in test subject you freaked out when heavily pressured and that showed in your weak claim. lie better! as for town play i think youre too easily swayed by players who look confident in their posts and you dont analyze what theyre saying enough

--------

ronike is baller and wouldnt change anything. one of the players i like to sheep when they get confident and also about as good a scumbuddy as you can ask for. one of the best scumhunters and also one of the most underrated players on the site (if not THE best for both of these categories)

--------

swords i think youd be better if you didnt omgus and sheep so much. you do it often regardless of alignment which hurts your credibility along with poor logic. pretty good town game as youre willing to pressure people and are more skeptical of people other players might not be. in a good way of course

--------

omis youre pretty good at coming off as confident when interacting with players but i think youd be better if you thought your posts through more. you were mislynched in tourney mafia for not realizing how valuable itd be for town to have a vig demonstrate his ability which im sure you could have figured out on your own. i also feel like you start off games strong and confident but as it progresses you become less dedicated, less confident, and thus less credible and more confused

--------

steel youre one of my favorite newer players and should def keep playing because you have potential and are improving. wonderland was one of those "not on the d1 scum wagon" situations /shrug. you have a good scum game and should keep asking your partners for advice and lines while coordinating and scheming with them and just being generally active like we did in tourney mafia. one of my favorite scumbuddies

--------

mentos id say you need to go for the jugular just a bit more often as town. youre definitely capable of doing that (test subject) but there are definitely times when i think 'take a stance and push already' like in simpsons mafia where i felt you shouldve stepped up and led the town because the other town players were flailing. dont be afraid to be wrong. i also think youre prone to following the cop and are too lenient with newer players like in tourney mafia where you pushed a dekuu lynch when i think you were more suspicious of nix. also you definitely add a lot more sanity to swfmafia and are one of the more thoughtful players

your scum game is very good and meticulous. youre one of the scum players who people dont generally suspect til late in the game

--------

pythag you should play more. like mentos you add a lot of sanity to swfmafia but also arent afraid to pressure people. however i think youd be better if you were just generally more skeptical and kept a closer eye on everyone

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Marshy said:
kevin you have one of the best scumdars on the site and youre consistent regardless of alignment. when you say "i think this guy is scummy" i get more skeptical of who youre talking about than i do for most players. id rather advise the town players around you to listen to you more than have you change anything

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I STRONGLY echo marshy's sentiments about mentos and ronike.

Mentos is almost always a voice of reason and comes off really townie all the time. Very easy to understand and hard to disagree with. Like Marshy said, be more assertive and when you're sure of things, dig into those people and get what you want.

Only advice I can give to Ronike is to try not to get too carried away with things, or get too riled up over someone or something. I think you let people get to you too easily, or sometimes you smell blood or weakness and go into a frenzy. You've got a great scumdar and are good at pressuring people, but I think sometimes you let situations get the better of you and lose your focus.

I also agree with Marshy that Steel is pretty up and coming. I haven't had quite enough experience with you to really give advice but yeah, you're on the right track.

@ KevMo: Not much I can really say. Wish I had some more recent game to judge you on but you either die early, I kill you, or you're the traitor LOL. I think what you do is good so stick with it. Just don't give up on SWF mafia! You know we're good for it! =D

@ Rockin: Marshy's got the idea. You're a very driven player and I like your enthusiasm. I think sometimes though, it gets the better of you and you tend to over think or over scrutinize certain things and make them a bigger deal than they really are. Make your points more streamlined and poignant, and try and break the game down into core issues. I think it'll help you get a better view of the game and what factions are developing as a whole, and really help you scum hunt. Don't force yourself to look where you aren't already getting a feel there are scumtells to be found. Scraping for null tells can be a killer and really distract you and fellow townies.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
@ Rockin: Marshy's got the idea. You're a very driven player and I like your enthusiasm. I think sometimes though, it gets the better of you and you tend to over think or over scrutinize certain things and make them a bigger deal than they really are. Make your points more streamlined and poignant, and try and break the game down into core issues. I think it'll help you get a better view of the game and what factions are developing as a whole, and really help you scum hunt. Don't force yourself to look where you aren't already getting a feel there are scumtells to be found. Scraping for null tells can be a killer and really distract you and fellow townies.
Oh, this is interesting. Can you name such games?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
oo oo someone critique me. im still really new and iv got a lot to learn but im eager

and iv still never been scum once :/

Ronike

Smash Ace
@Chibo: Don't insta-hammer in lylo

@Marshy: You play an awesome game, despite what almost all the newbies say. Sure, maybe you could post more, and say what you are thinking even more. Personally I can generally gather what you are thinking from what you say, but I don't think a lot of people can, and with everyone saying you are the best player on the site, a lot of the new players try to emulate you. And fail. Miserably. Course, this isn't your fault, but yeah, just try to speak up a bit more I guess.

@FF: Talk more man! I realize you've been scum a lot, but still no excuse. As scum, that's one of the biggest things you come under fire for, so it doesn't help you in the long run. Keep that in mind.

@Everyone about FF: Don't blindly follow him. Otherwise he wins every game ever. Like lately...
I'll be putting more stuff here later

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
Chibo: In the one completed game I played with you (Crayola Catastrophe on MS), the only piece of advice I would have for you is to hide your PR better. If I were scum, I totally would have deduced you were either Insane or Paranoid Cop. Not being Sane Cop worked out for you, but if you were Sane, and I were scum, and you got a guilty like you did, you would have been dead N2 for sure. For the future, if you get a Cop role, only subtly push for a "guilty" person's lynch.

EDIT: Take as big a shot at me as you want, whoever wants to critique me.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
After I complete some more games someone should critique me, but for now I'd like to experiment more and learn on my own since I don't think I've played too many games. (Plus I know I suck and need to stop that. :/)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yea I agree Kirb, that was also one of my earliest games. Though I always end up having to claim lol. But in tourney sleepover I purposely put me in the situation to claim somewhat.

I need to get better at defense imo. I rely too much on claiming, and when I'm finally scum that won't help me lol

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Ooooh, do me!

I'll do you guys later.

No homo.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I'm not subscribed to this :) *subscribes*

Well...I'm on the same boat as Xiivi I guess... need to play more games! And get a bit more confident. Never knew I'd enjoy it as much as I thought. Animafia is the only one so far I've completed from start to finish. I had to replace in for the others but they were really enjoyable. Everyone seems to be so good here.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
After I complete some more games someone should critique me, but for now I'd like to experiment more and learn on my own since I don't think I've played too many games. (Plus I know I suck and need to stop that. :/)
Wha? You were brilliant in Wonderland mafia. Going bulletproof exactly once, but the one time that you're targeted for the NK? That is sheer brilliance. (Like HAX-level brilliance.) Not to mention those PM's you sent were incredible.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what sheeping is? I've heard like so many people use the term.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Blindly following the opinion of someone, like a bunch of sheep. Think Animal Farm.

Marshy manages to get people to do this in droves.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Frozen's biggest strength imo is that he's good at convincing people. Even if you have a good scumdar you're not going to be a good player if you can't convince the others. Frozen is doing a good job at that. Wish he was a lot more active it'd increase the level of play CONSIDERABLY.

Mentos I wish was more aggresive or let's say less "politician-like" as Ronike called him in FF7. I find him extremely hard to trust in almost all games because everytime he has to say something he doesn't seem to push his cases enough which makes me think he lacks confidence. Shouldn't really be the case for a player like you. Taking clearer stances - especially when you're town - would make you pretty beast like you were in TS Mafia.

Rockin I think you should be a lot more vocal as scum, take clearer stances and push more cases in general. Scumfever has similar issues imo. Both of you post lots of stuff that come of as fluffy /negligable. Maybe that's just my impression though.

:059:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom