• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique Super Smash Bros.

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like datamines are mostly to blame for why we don't see stuff like this anymore. It is fun to discover something in a game for the first time, but when it comes to playable characters especially, that ****'ll be on the web within MINUTES of the game's release, if not before since most AAA games break street date these days.
Even without datamines someone will manually unlock all the content within 24 hours. Personally I think it's better that Smash announces all their characters up front now, it gives people (somewhat) more realistic expectations.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The Belmonts would be more fun to play by just making one change to Uppercut; having three grounded version do the multi-hit, but then make the aerial version cause them to travel much higher like in Symphony of the Night, but at the cost of not being able to deal damage at all. That way, you have a version that makes up for lack of height with more damage, and another version that makes up for lack of damage with more height.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The absence of Mario's Ground Pound is a great disservice. All of Mario's moves in Smash 64 were super reliable and didn't need to be revamped. His Smash 64 Forward Smash and air Forward A needs to be brought back. A perfect example of don't fix what isn't broken.

Mario's current air Forward A down punch is an incredibly high risk niche reward. It's also completely redundant.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
The absence of Mario's Ground Pound is a great disservice. All of Mario's moves in Smash 64 were super reliable and didn't need to be revamped. His Smash 64 Forward Smash and air Forward A needs to be brought back. A perfect example of don't fix what isn't broken.

Mario's current air Forward A down punch is an incredibly high risk niche reward. It's also completely redundant.
In general my opinion is mario is far too complicated mario should be a very low effort character...
BECAUSE HE IS MARIO!
yet he has a down b thats useless/ too complicated for casual play, a hard to hit Reflector
and a lot of non refrence attacks!

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
In general my opinion is mario is far too complicated mario should be a very low effort character...
BECAUSE HE IS MARIO!
yet he has a down b thats useless/ too complicated for casual play, a hard to hit Reflector
and a lot of non refrence attacks!
Fludd is not a useless move, in fact, it's pretty good since it gives him free stage control in neutral, especially towards characters like Roy who have bad air speed.

Honestly, I'd rather not have his ground pound since Yoshi already has it in his moveset.
I would be very angry if Mario's forward air got changed in the next game, there are a lot of combos that Mario can do to lead into an early kill with this move. Sure it's not the best spiking fair, but it does have its uses. But I see no reason for 64 Fair to return since Back air exists.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
NGL, I don’t really like Takamaru’s design in Smash; he genuinely looks like the generic anime swordfighter that people accuse the actual anime swordfighters of being.

For reference, here’s artwork of Takamaru in his original game, which looks closer to 80’s anime of the time.
IMG_2613.png

And here’s a cropped screenshot of him in Smash for Wii U, where he looks like if Chrom grew his hair out and got a ponytail, for lack of a better term.
IMG_2614.jpeg

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, I'd rather not have his ground pound since Yoshi already has it in his moveset.
I would be very angry if Mario's forward air got changed in the next game, there are a lot of combos that Mario can do to lead into an early kill with this move. Sure it's not the best spiking fair, but it does have its uses. But I see no reason for 64 Fair to return since Back air exists.
This is a terrible quota for "uniqueness" in the roster. The Ground Pound is very essential to Mario and won't make the two any less "unique" Mario and Yoshi. Many characters in the roster share identical moves or close, which is a proper service of their characterizations then anything.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Fludd is not a useless move, in fact, it's pretty good since it gives him free stage control in neutral, especially towards characters like Roy who have bad air speed.

Im not saying its useless its just too difficult/ non appealing for casuals!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I feel like some aspects of the DLC (namely Spirit Battles and Classic Mode routes) is too reliant on whether or not you have certain characters and/or Mii Costumes. For example, Sophia's Spirit Battle doesn't play Last Surprise nor does it take place on Mementos unless you specifically have Joker's Challenger Pack, and Banjo isn't a puppet fighter for Kuma at all despite them both being bears with a comedic focus.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Double post but while I defend Spirits for the fact of being less time-consuming than Trophies, I don't get why the former mode in the base game (not in the DLC, to clarify) is so adverse to using a fighter's default colors in Spirit Battles even when it would make perfect sense. For an infamous example, take the Mechakoopa Spirit Battle. You'd think with Mechakoopa being Bowser Jr's down special that he would be the puppet fighter for his own down special, right? Or at least Lemmy if they didn't want to use Bowser Jr., right? WRONG. The puppet fighter for Bowser Jr.'s down special...is a group of tiny Bowsers with Bob-ombs. Yes, I'm serious.

And I know what you're thinking: "But it's meant to reference the final boss of Super Mario World; you know, the one where you throw Mechakoopas at Bowser?" Well, I find that even less of an excuse because a character named Bowser Jr--you know, Bowser's biological son--can easily be the next best thing due to the Koopa Clown Car being a part of Jr.'s moveset along with "Bowser" being part of his name. I know I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I have any right to, but it's been the most confusing aspect of Spirit Battles to me ever since launch.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Double post but while I defend Spirits for the fact of being less time-consuming than Trophies, I don't get why the former mode in the base game (not in the DLC, to clarify) is so adverse to using a fighter's default colors in Spirit Battles even when it would make perfect sense. For an infamous example, take the Mechakoopa Spirit Battle. You'd think with Mechakoopa being Bowser Jr's down special that he would be the puppet fighter for his own down special, right? Or at least Lemmy if they didn't want to use Bowser Jr., right? WRONG. The puppet fighter for Bowser Jr.'s down special...is a group of tiny Bowsers with Bob-ombs. Yes, I'm serious.

And I know what you're thinking: "But it's meant to reference the final boss of Super Mario World; you know, the one where you throw Mechakoopas at Bowser?" Well, I find that even less of an excuse because a character named Bowser Jr--you know, Bowser's biological son--can easily be the next best thing due to the Koopa Clown Car being a part of Jr.'s moveset along with "Bowser" being part of his name. I know I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I have any right to, but it's been the most confusing aspect of Spirit Battles to me ever since launch.
The logic behind the default colors not being used is that the default colors are the "Real" Character!

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Mario's FLUDD might be a poor fit if it was anything but Smash...but I think giving such a unique oddball move to an otherwise "basic well-rounded character" is very much in the spirit of the game where Hero's Hocus Pocus is a thing. Where every character has something remarkable & unexpected at their disposal. If there's one thing I'd change about Mario it would be removing his u-tilt chains, I mean if Melee found a way to stop moves from combo-ing into themselves then why can't the other games? Ideally achieving it in a way other than increasing end-lag on the move...maybe raising the "knockback floor" (or whatever the technical term might be) at low %?

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Ultimate releasing without Stage Builder and Home Run Contest just gives me a very negative look on the game from a more casual perspective. I barely touch those modes myself but I know that I would have loved them as a kid and a lot of other players who enjoy the more casual modes would have probably enjoyed them a lot to if they got to try them out when the game released. It just reminds me of a lot of other switch games that had less content than their previous entry and would add more post launch but never really enough to justify that practice. I really don't like that the Smash series seems to have been treated that same way.
Thankfully we got a lot of characters and stages after but those modes should have been there from the start.
I also think spirits turned out to be one of the most boring ideas in the series.
It had potential I think, but spirit battles are repetitive, looking at your spirit collection isn't interesting, and WoL is a story mode without a story that still takes a good while with only one really cool part where you get to play as Master Hand but you can only do it once per playthrough?? I've only gotten to play as Master Hand one time because I refuse to play through that whole mode again.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Something that's always bugged me about Tiki's role as an Assist Trophy is that when she transforms, she breathes regular fire when in Awakening, the fireballs fired by Manaketes (Tiki's class/species) usually take the form of an azure flame.

Her transformation in Ultimate is also kind of disappointing compared to Awakening. Compare the footage you see here...

...to its translation to Smash here, including both the transformation and the attack.

Top Bottom