• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creepy/Scary Things In Nintendo Games

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
My sightread of Run to the Hills on Expert Drums on Rock Band Wii.

Most terrifying thing I've ever seen.
I HATE drums on Rock Band. I don't like a computer telling me what beat I have to play, and when I can do a fill that doesn't even have to sound good as long as you hit the crash at the end. This isn't directed toward you, Yaya, but I also hate the people that think just because they can play "x" song on expert that it transfers over to actual musical skill. Learn to play the instrument, then tell me how good you are.

Yaya

Smash Champion
I'm actually gonna start learning to play Drums when my Dad and I build a room for it.

Green_Swirl

Smash Cadet
- The screamer in Eternal Darkness.

-That creepy noise in the Earthbound intro. I think it's where it says Giygas attacks or something like that.

-The Redeads in Melee (I hadn't played OoT at that time).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even though it's technically made by Capcom, Killer 7 is...unsettling, oddly enough. The suspenseful and atmospheric music, the Heaven Smiles' laughter, heck, even the menu after you get past the title screen is unsettling! Finally, there's that full moon you see when you begin a new chapter...

antimatter

Smash Lord
Also, the Planet JelJel on Meteos. Go on, play it with the music on, I dare you. It's like a twisted lullabye.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
mmm i was always scared of any dark levels in general lol.
was also just scared of going to the video store and seeing old resident evil games on the shelf... lol

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWfFRWRrUo

That is one messed up cutscene why did they make it any ways?
My guess is that it was made to show that one should not let greed overpower their mind (hence Link and Ilia trying to kill each other for the Triforce).

But I do agree, it is a creepy cutscene.

Also, the Planet JelJel on Meteos. Go on, play it with the music on, I dare you. It's like a twisted lullabye.
I'm curious now. Could you link to an MP3 of it?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I think the whole point of the perverted Link and Illia was just a method of story telling in which they didn't make up any new character models for the civilization past, and just stuck with those two. The greatest variation was dark Link.

But no doubt, it was ****ed up.

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
I remember the Spider-man game for N64, if you played it you'll know what i'm talking about. At the last level, Carnage fuses with Doc Ock and creates Moster Ock. He screams and charges at you and there's no way to kill him. You have to keep running and avoiding obstacles before he catches you...

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
I don't know... the only time I really panicked was when I was running from the sol hands (LoZ: TP), I have been drinking. LOL. Bottom of the well in OoT. First time I was caught by the wall masters. And the first time... was scary as ****! xD

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
FF8 is scary, too. In one of the ending movies, there's a part where it shows a whole bunch of different images really fast. It's only for like a second, but if you can slow it down/ stop it, there's this one image... *shudder*

There's this one image where it shows a close-up of Squall's face, but where his face should be there's this huge gaping hole...

Why!? Why did they have to include that!? WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH FINAL FANTASY 8!?

...Ahem.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
FF8 is scary, too. In one of the ending movies, there's a part where it shows a whole bunch of different images really fast. It's only for like a second, but if you can slow it down/ stop it, there's this one image... *shudder*

There's this one image where it shows a close-up of Squall's face, but where his face should be there's this huge gaping hole...

Why!? Why did they have to include that!? WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH FINAL FANTASY 8!?

...Ahem.
and what does FF8 have to do with nintendo? *points at topic title*.

Red Hawk One

Smash Apprentice
We are currently not at liberty to divulge that in
Newer games and backstory aside (or possibly included), Tingle just creeps me out. A 35-year old man who thinks he's a fairy and tries to play with little kids. That's more than a little creepy, and in a mainstream Nintendo game? Not to mention he seems to enslave his buddies to do his bidding (e.g. Wind Waker). Try to come up with something creepier (not scarier, creepier) than that dude.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
The redeads in OOT.
The redeads in WW.

Funny enough, the Re-Deads/Gibdos in Twilight Princess aren't scary at ALL! For some reason. All I can think of is transforming into Wolf Link, glomping them in the name of death and taking a chunk out of their throats; all the while screaming out, "KARMA IS A BITCH!!!"
QFT

I'm also gonna have to say the Giant Bullet Bills in Super Mario 3.
They come outta no where.

I freaked out the first time I saw one.

Oh and also Jovana (or however you spell his name) who was cursed.

Always saw him as a demon.

Frown

poekmon
I remember the Spider-man game for N64, if you played it you'll know what i'm talking about. At the last level, Carnage fuses with Doc Ock and creates Moster Ock. He screams and charges at you and there's no way to kill him. You have to keep running and avoiding obstacles before he catches you...
I didn't find that scary. My little brother ran away from the computer when I met Monster Ock though.

And the cutscene after you escape is epic.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Newer games and backstory aside (or possibly included), Tingle just creeps me out. A 35-year old man who thinks he's a fairy and tries to play with little kids. That's more than a little creepy, and in a mainstream Nintendo game? Not to mention he seems to enslave his buddies to do his bidding (e.g. Wind Waker). Try to come up with something creepier (not scarier, creepier) than that dude.
He is creepy but I got something creepier.

Waluigi

klapaucius

Smash Apprentice
I'm not easily scared by games, but FFXII had a lot of scary moments as a result of the gameplay mechanics.
There's this insane bonus dungeon filled with ultra-high-level ghosts, and other insanely annoying characters. The first time I went there, I was really underlevelled, and I was surprised by how few enemies there were. Well, as it turns out, they turn invisible, and then arbitrarily attack you when they feel like it. So, one finally comes out, and it is way too powerful. I run like ****. One party member constantly taking off status ailments, one constantly casting Holy, and the one I'm controlling just running for dear life. Then I finally kill one ghost, and the ghost of that ghost comes up to attack me. It's even stronger, and kills my entire party in one hit. While all this is happening, I'm still a mile from the entrance, the other ghosts are materializing and coming after me, and the doubleghost casts a spell which kills off everyone in my party except one. That one has a status ailment called Disease, which prevents healing by lowering your max HP to your current HP. So I start casting Life, which revives someone just before the character dies, then continue the cycle of death all the way out of the level. When I looked back there was something like twenty ghosts just waiting for me to reenter.

And then there's the fact that sometimes you'll run into what is referred to as "rare game", which are monsters that only spawn under certain conditions, and are way more powerful than the other monsters. Sometimes you'll be walking along killing Level 3 dogs when a fifteen-foot dragon runs up out of nowhere. Other times you'll be fighting Level 6 chickens when you find a chicken that doesn't die in one hit. Then you realize he has a different name, and is something like level 50.

FFXII just generally loves freaking you out with ridiculous enemies.

klapaucius

Smash Apprentice
When I was little a thought the evil piano in Super Mario 64 was a little frightening. Same with redeads.
I think those, along with Angry Aztec's Get Out, pretty much win this thread.

When I realized that the mummies with swords in TP were Redeads, I laughed for several minutes over the pure irony of how you defeat them.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I'm not easily scared by games, but FFXII had a lot of scary moments as a result of the gameplay mechanics.
There's this insane bonus dungeon filled with ultra-high-level ghosts, and other insanely annoying characters. The first time I went there, I was really underlevelled, and I was surprised by how few enemies there were. Well, as it turns out, they turn invisible, and then arbitrarily attack you when they feel like it. So, one finally comes out, and it is way too powerful. I run like ****. One party member constantly taking off status ailments, one constantly casting Holy, and the one I'm controlling just running for dear life. Then I finally kill one ghost, and the ghost of that ghost comes up to attack me. It's even stronger, and kills my entire party in one hit. While all this is happening, I'm still a mile from the entrance, the other ghosts are materializing and coming after me, and the doubleghost casts a spell which kills off everyone in my party except one. That one has a status ailment called Disease, which prevents healing by lowering your max HP to your current HP. So I start casting Life, which revives someone just before the character dies, then continue the cycle of death all the way out of the level. When I looked back there was something like twenty ghosts just waiting for me to reenter.

And then there's the fact that sometimes you'll run into what is referred to as "rare game", which are monsters that only spawn under certain conditions, and are way more powerful than the other monsters. Sometimes you'll be walking along killing Level 3 dogs when a fifteen-foot dragon runs up out of nowhere. Other times you'll be fighting Level 6 chickens when you find a chicken that doesn't die in one hit. Then you realize he has a different name, and is something like level 50.

FFXII just generally loves freaking you out with ridiculous enemies.
That's nothing compared to Via Infinito in FFX-2. 100 floor of massive amounts of enemies and every 20 floors there's an insane boss for you to fight. on the 100th floor theres a boss with 999,999 HP...I wish my party could break the damage limit.

klapaucius

Smash Apprentice
That's nothing compared to Via Infinito in FFX-2. 100 floor of massive amounts of enemies and every 20 floors there's an insane boss for you to fight. on the 100th floor theres a boss with 999,999 HP...I wish my party could break the damage limit.
Actually, FFXII has the Pharos, which is 100 floors plus ten or so floors of basement. It has six or seven bosses, one of which has 2,000,000 HP. And you can't break the damage limit there, either--in fact, after you take off 50% of his HP his defense is so high that it becomes literally impossible to do more than 6999. And that adds up over 1,000,000 HP.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Try Yiazmat without leaving.
Or by using any over powered things to quicken the pace (Zodiark).
50,000,000 HP.
YAY.
Omega Mark XII is waiting also, with his 10,000,000 HP.

And I haven't played the game, just going by what my FF-crazed mind has seen.

Some smash players are scary.
I mean, you don't even want to approach them.

And sometimes sudden death is scary, knowing that one screw up and you're dead.

Lutukor

Smash Cadet
I know it's not a Nintendo game but it deserves honorable mention:

Drowning in Sonic games. Honestly, who didn't **** bricks when they first heard this?

The blackout in Luigi's Mansion scared the crap out of me.. I'm still scared to play past that boo boss. Also, when you're first in the well outside and you see the Mario painting with King Boo.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Sorry, I just had to point out this.

Super Mario 3 has no giant Bullet Bills.

Super Mario World has.
If you've played the Advanced version they made them bigger.

World 8 - 1.

You should find a "bigger" version of a bullet bill in there.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I just thought of a few things. They're all from Majora's Mask.

1. Clock Town - Day 3: the music. That happy tune mixed with the dark and gloomy base, it's like it's portraying that no matter how hard the residents of Clock Town try to be normal and happy, they can't, knowing that the moon is going to fall on them.

2. On the third day, the sword warrior (in Clock Town) says he will stay and break the moon to pieces. From 6PM-12AM, he's locked in his house 'preparing'. If at 12AM-6AM, you go in his house, and break the curtains. You see him in a corner on his knees shaking. o.O If you talk to him, he says... "I can't... please... I don't want to die!"

3. The fact that the four buildings surrounding Stone Tower Temple resemble a phallus.

klapaucius

Smash Apprentice
Try Yiazmat without leaving.
Or by using any over powered things to quicken the pace (Zodiark).
50,000,000 HP.
YAY.
Omega Mark XII is waiting also, with his 10,000,000 HP.

And I haven't played the game, just going by what my FF-crazed mind has seen..
Actually, Yiazmat has an ability called "Breakart Pentagram" which, if you use a summon, creates a huge magic seal around that summon, then instantly kills both of you. But Espers in FFXII are useless anyway, so that's a moot point.

It should be pointed out that, unless you complete a process involving not opening certain treasure chests scattered throughout the game, your ultimate weapon is Excalibur, and Yiazmat absorbs damage from that weapon, making it useless.

Top Bottom