• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creepy/Scary Things In Nintendo Games

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I don't mean "jump out of the closet and scream at you" scary, but things that creep you out or mentally scare the crap out of you. I can name a few.

1. The Bottom of the Well in Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
2. The message in Super Mario 64 - "Ghosts... Don't... DIE!"
3. Dorrie in Super Mario 64. It seriously looks like it's dead; It has a VERY disturbing stare and a blank facial expression altogether that do not change. It also seems creepy how it's just swimming around pointlessly in an uninhabited, creepy cavern. Also, the message that says, "Don't become her lunch" adds to it all.
4. The creepy alternative castle music in Mario 64. It REALLY freaks me out. However, you need some code and extra equipment and stuff to make it play.
5. The Mad Piano in Mario 64.
6. Every sexual innuendo in Banjo Kazooie.
7. In Luigi's Mansion, when reading Mr. Luggs' description - "He ate himself to death and still wasn't satisfied."
8. The huge, dark hole in Dire, Dire Docks in Mario 64, which leads to the outside of the castle. What could possibly be in all that darkness? It also leads me to thinking, "What if that hole was left over from the beta version of the game, and it actually lead to something, but it was taken out because that 'something' was too terrifying for younger gamers?" I then realized I was thinking WAY too in-depth, but, you know...

So, yeah, that's it for me. I know, there's a lot of Mario 64 things...

Why Nintendo games? Because Nintendo isn't where you would expect to find anything creepy or scary. Because of that, I find creepy things in Nintendo games much more interesting.

So, yeah. Can't wait to see the replies!

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Wind Waker.

The Re-Deads.

I was always so frightened to be paralyzed by them because anytime you fought one of them, it was always in a dark room of sorts or it was some kinda hallway.

The Wind Waker Re-Deads though were the scariest of all though. Just...those empty eyes staring at you. You wish that you didn't have to get close JUST because they were just staring at you through holes of darkness. Frightening, terrifying, even...

They still freak me out but I eventually overcame my fear of them.

Funny enough, the Re-Deads/Gibdos in Twilight Princess aren't scary at ALL! For some reason. All I can think of is transforming into Wolf Link, glomping them in the name of death and taking a chunk out of their throats; all the while screaming out, "KARMA IS A BITCH!!!"

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Yeah, the redeads in OOT were killer, but a joke in TP.
Talking about OOT, I was always more scared on the first part of the shadow temple, y'know, that part where you have to walk through walls and confront that hand monster? That was killer for me because I had forgotten to get that eyeglass or whatever from the well.

Also the hand that tried to retrieve the Sol in TP creeped me out. It wasn't so much what it looked like, but more that it was slowly coming to get it back and you'd have to deal with it again. I'm no good in high stress situations.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
i agree with almost all the stuff OP said. i was like, 8 when i first played OoT and Mairio 64. the first time you meet sharp (or was it flat) in the kakariko graveyard freaked me out that i had to turn off the game, lol. redeads were freaky for a while, then i learned the sun's song :). bottom of the well was a definite scare for me. i just hated it so much, especially dead hand at the end. in mario 64, the creepy staircase music scared me and i didn't know what was going on so i kept trying to run up the stairs. alot of things in Mario 64 scared me...

oh, and in Majora's Mask, the skulltula house near the beach creeped me out.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I have to agree with all points made in this thread. I especially agree with Reyairia about the whole Sol thing, I have the exact same problem. ^^; Also, Chozo Ghosts in Metroid Prime....seriously, I can't stand them. The music, their screams, the room darkening...

I hate all kinds of Floormasters/Wallmasters, Redeads, Stalchildren (are they called that? can't quite remember) and Poes. >.< Legend of Zelda has some of the creepiest creatures.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Luigi's mansion was a good game but I have to admit when those ghosts come out of the ceiling it freak me out. and that fat guys description, was horrifying.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm going to have to hand it off to Dead Hand. It is the most horrifying thing in any Nintendo game. The Shadow Temple was horrible also because of the torture devices and blood stains EVERYWHERE. Everything about that temple was just ****ing evil. Having Dead Hand as a sub-boss wasn't pleasing either...

I also have to agree with Zant's hand. I hate slow, pursuing things - especially those that are ominous as that. That was the only thing in TP that discomforted me. I really couldn't stand it.

The first time I played through OoT and had to go through the Sacred Forest Meadow, I was scared ****less by the Moblins. They were huge, and after spotting you, howl and charged at you to no end. That was horrible.

The fact that the ReDead are naked zombies who mount you and try to gnash your head open with their teeth is utterly disturbing. Their shrieks don't help either.

I'd have to say that Zelda has had the scariest elements out of all of Nintendo's games.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Redeads. Wallmasters. Chozo Ghosts. Zant's hand deffinatly.

Chozo Ghosts were disturbing. Every room would have them, they would show up out of nowhere, you'd hear the discomforting music, and they'd attack from behind. They even ran through hallways while I was walking and made me scream.

Spin-dash, I love your point on TP redeads. I would always glomp them for the hell of it and go "Who got sucked NOW, BIATCH????" So much fun getting revenge on the scary.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I agree with all of you.

some more are...
1.those people in the twilight world, they were creepy (and of course the hand)
2. Zant himself when he goes all ludacris on you. Plus when he opened his mask to show his slimmy mouth 0_0
3. Luigi's mansion was really freaky especially when in the dark and ghost pop up. The phone thing (that turned out to be a toad creeped me out to). The fat guy and the fourtune teller both scared me.
4. Re-deads and the shadow temple in OoT

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
The part in Majora's Mask where you had to go to the bottom of the lake(?) and avoid the eel things. I think my hate of water levels contributed to this.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
A lot of things:

1. the scarfies in kirby 64. I played that game at a very young age (about 8 or 7.) and there wasn't anything remotely scary about it, until I got to rock star. I saw those extremely happy things floating in the air, cutely waving at you. I actually thought they were friendly and didn't bother fighting them. So I walked past it. and then it happened. Suddenly, the once cheerful orange balls morphed into the most hideous, menacing, scariest abominations of gamekind, with a single soul-piercing eye, and a gigantic pair of the sharpest teeth imaginable, horrendously lunging towards me, ready to do who-knows-what to kirby's sorry pink butt. I naturally **** as many bricks as my 8-year-old body could produce, and I turned off the game, refusing to play it for weeks.
Until, of course, I managed to grow the balls to play through the game again, and dealt with those things by RUNNING AS FAST AS I GODAMMNED COULD!!!(WHICH, CONSIDERING THIS IS KIRBY 64, ISN'T REALLY THAT FAST!)

Seriously, those things still give me nightmares.

2.Andross from Starfox 64. Okay, I just beat that stupid stone robot thing, and I'm now entering andross' lair. My heart is racing. Going through that dark golden tunnel, with andross' ugly face mocking me at the bottom left of the screen. Okay, what gigantic, almighty space fortress thingy does this guy have in store for me- OH MY GOD IT'S ANDROSS' GIGANTIC PHUCKING UGLY APE HEAD. That thing traumatized me for life. Certainly didn't help that I was only SIX when I got up to that part. Of course, after a few tries, mostly because I was crying at how hideous his face was, once I actually destroyed his hands, he starts HAVING A GODAMMNED EPILECTIC SEIZURE BEFORE CHANGING INTO A GIANT ROBOTIC METAL HEAD which was ramming straight at me, and I cried as I maniacally slammed the living crap out of the A button, and in a split second, it was all over, and I won.
****, I love starfox 64.

3. I played Majora's Mask when I was 8. 'nuff said.
I think the one thing scarier than that game was that I managed to beat in when I was 9.

D13

Smash Ace
Sector 6, the nocturnal area in Metroid Fusion. It scared me when I first played the game. :[

Also the SA-X.

M.K

Level 55
Burrowing/Pileated Snagrets in Pikmin 1/2. Oh god, that was.....just horrible. Waterwraith, Emperor/Empress Bulblaxes were also pretty terrifying!

XACE-K

Smash Master
Everything said before me in this topic before me I also agree with but I have another thing that creeped me.

In Melee, when I read Mr.Ressetti's trophy description I got creeped out because I thought that besides lecturing me in AC when I did reset, I thought he would also lecture me about resetting in Melee. But than again I was 8 when this happened.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
The stupid Ghoul Rats in Twilight Princess.

I can't finish that game now thanks to them. >_>

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
The metroids Freaking sticking to your face!!!!! That freaked the hell out of me! I didn't even realise it was there!

~rh

Smash Lord
Metroid Prime music scared me a lil. Sounded a little creepy.

Darkslash

Smash Master
The two ghost in the old Chateu. They scare the crap out of me when i first saw them. so i was going to train my Umbreon and then i go into the dining room and then this old guy is like floating i was like "****" and then the little girl......omg. Makes you wonder wth happened in there. And whats more if you have to battle them....i don't want to imaging the battle sprites.

the mouths of the Phazon Metroids. Not scary when you have a helmet on but with out one..urrg. those fangs digging into your face

and jet force jemini. First played it when i was 10. there was this one planet where all the enimes turned into zombies. Slice the heads off they still come towards you. I shurikend the heads off but they kept coming. THEN THEY THROW THEIR FLESH AT YOU!!! I WAS LIKE

"OMGWTFBBQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" I had the balls though to keep shooting them though. I thenfinally figured out how to use the Plasma shot gun, and they went splatter all over the screen lol

Scott!

Smash Lord
All the Zelda ones above, especially the ReDeads. I still remember how high I jumped the first time, and I jsut watched in horror as it crept towards me and proceeded to devour my soul... God, that was scary.

Metroid definitely has some good ones too though. The opening of Metroid Prime, where you're searching through room after room of mangled bodies... Or in Prime 2, more mangled bodies, but these ones were hanging from the ceiling, half digested.

It's the moment in Prime 3 that I thought of first once I saw the topic. You enter some laboratory, and there are all these halls filled with glass-encased Metroids. At the end of it, after you get the item you came for, the lights go out, and you hear the glass breaking. About 20 Metroids are now waiting for you. There are no save stations in the lab either. God, that scared me. Didn't help that it was night and I was alone.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
ReDeads and Gibdos in Majora's Mask were hilarious. I laughed so hard at them when I put the mask on (Can't remember the name of it) and they started dancing around comically because of it. Not only was it entertaining, but it's a good way to get lots of rupees, just going in and out of the room, killing them over and over again.

But they are pretty freaky when they're not dancing.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
The two ghost in the old Chateu. They scare the crap out of me when i first saw them. so i was going to train my Umbreon and then i go into the dining room and then this old guy is like floating i was like "****" and then the little girl......omg. Makes you wonder wth happened in there. And whats more if you have to battle them....i don't want to imaging the battle sprites.
How could I forget the old Chateau? I think I ended up muting it because the music was just really creepy.

Yeah, Metroid Prime 3 had that moment where you saw a metroid dragging a body around before it charged right at you. That was just... ugh.

XACE-K

Smash Master
The two ghost in the old Chateu. They scare the crap out of me when i first saw them. so i was going to train my Umbreon and then i go into the dining room and then this old guy is like floating i was like "****" and then the little girl......omg. Makes you wonder wth happened in there. And whats more if you have to battle them....i don't want to imaging the battle sprites. l
That little girl scared the crap out of me. I was going to catch Rotom (dumbest rare Pokemon ever) and she pops out of nowhere. Also one of the romms has that picture that stares at you, I found that creepy.

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
Spooky chapter in Conker's Bad Fur Day..... I wouldn't be surprised if no one knew what I'm talking about.

Also, that part in Majora's mask with that little girl who's dad had become a ReDead, and he just bursts out of the closet when you get close to it.

1337ZSS

Smash Apprentice
How bout RE4? I played it and the chainsaw guy scared the hell out of me. But what is really scary is one of the prototype versions. omg
At first, yeah. RE4 isn't too scary now though... it really is when some chainsaw ganado comes up from behind you when you least expect it at all.

Edit: Also, the Oven Man?

~rh

Smash Lord
^ Is that the guy who just bust out of that chamber and he's on fire? When you're on the island? If so that scared the **** outta me. By reflex I paused the game and had to take a couple of breaths before bustin' caps in his ***. :laugh:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Am I the only one who thought that the music when you first walk in the castle in Mario 64 was scary? You know when you first walk in, and then the scary music plays, and then you hear Bowser laughing somewhere in the distance. The first time when I heard that I ran out of the castle. I'm not kidding either lol.

Watch 1:50 in this video if you don't know what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0NPWCAcaQ

That's some creepy stuff right there. :p

Darkslash

Smash Master
Am I the only one who thought that the music when you first walk in the castle in Mario 64 was scary? You know when you first walk in, and then the scary music plays, and then you hear Bowser laughing somewhere in the distance. The first time when I heard that I ran out of the castle. I'm not kidding either lol.

Watch 1:50 in this video if you don't know what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0NPWCAcaQ

That's some creepy stuff right there. :p
To be honest i wasn't paying attention to it lol. What really made me **** bricks was boo. Today i think of him as comic relief before i was like

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So i exchange my game for Jet Force Gemini which had more zombies :(

Top Bottom