• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky Kong comes out of retirement!

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see him use his Cane as his main forms of Attack;

as well as him breaking the fourth wall, and Ranting and Complaining about Various Characters Probably on a Tropical-Freeze Inspired Stage

and also; He wouldn't NEED to be an Echo Fighter, UNLIKE *Cough* Dixie & Funky Kong *Cough*]

P.S. Add me on as a Supporter for Cranky Kong

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Really? I feel Cranky's more deserving as a character with more consistent presence than Dixie or K. Rool in the games, and it feels like such a Sakurai move to put in an unexpected but charming oddball.
and He wouldn't be an Echo Fighter, since He's neither a Diddy Clone(Like Dixie) OR A DK Clone(like Funky)

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Out of the rest of the Kongs, I want Cranky to be playable the most.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Cranky's case is definitely tricky in my opinion, mostly because Nintendo kinda killed what made the character so interesting and great in DKC.

According to Rare, Cranky was in fact the original Donkey Kong, the one who fought Mario. So, the name Donkey Kong was some sort of a title given to a certain Kong (maybe the strongest ?). In the game made by Rare, he's also cynical and keep criticizing the player, saying that he could do better easily. And he was definitely an awesome character.

But when Rare left, Nintendo changed Cranky. They confirmed that the original Donkey Kong was, well, the Donkey Kong of DKC and that Cranky Kong was just DK's grandfather. They also made him nicer which is a shame because he was funny as hell.

Cranky Kong was a legend, the former Donkey Kong, the guy who fought Mario and who became a cynical old ape. Nintendo decided to give him just the role of a nice old ape who's just DK's grandfather. That's really sad.

Old Cranky could have been legit in Smash and i would have say a hundred times yes for his inclusion (having him really strong could have been awesome) but the new Cranky feels really unnecessary in my opinion. Sure he could have a fun moveset with the cane and the rebound thing, but i feel like it's not enough since they destroyed what made the character so great.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
After Dixie and K Rool get in, I would definitely wanna see Cranky added. If I had it my way, all 3 would get in this time around!

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
After Dixie and K Rool get in, I would definitely wanna see Cranky added. If I had it my way, all 3 would get in this time around!
Yeah, this trio plus adding Funky as a DK echo and I would be the happiest of DK fans. Hey, Fire Emblem went from 2 characters to 6 in one game, why can't Donkey Kong? /s

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Cranky's case is definitely tricky in my opinion, mostly because Nintendo kinda killed what made the character so interesting and great in DKC.

According to Rare, Cranky was in fact the original Donkey Kong, the one who fought Mario. So, the name Donkey Kong was some sort of a title given to a certain Kong (maybe the strongest ?). In the game made by Rare, he's also cynical and keep criticizing the player, saying that he could do better easily. And he was definitely an awesome character.

But when Rare left, Nintendo changed Cranky. They confirmed that the original Donkey Kong was, well, the Donkey Kong of DKC and that Cranky Kong was just DK's grandfather. They also made him nicer which is a shame because he was funny as hell.

Cranky Kong was a legend, the former Donkey Kong, the guy who fought Mario and who became a cynical old ape. Nintendo decided to give him just the role of a nice old ape who's just DK's grandfather. That's really sad.

Old Cranky could have been legit in Smash and i would have say a hundred times yes for his inclusion (having him really strong could have been awesome) but the new Cranky feels really unnecessary in my opinion. Sure he could have a fun moveset with the cane and the rebound thing, but i feel like it's not enough since they destroyed what made the character so great.
I Prefer New Cranky; which is Much More Likely; especially if He uses his Cane as a Weapon; and Pogo-jumps ala Scrooge Mcduck!!!

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns for my Wii. But, I'm planning on getting Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for my Wii U. I don't have the Switch just yet. I support!

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
cranky_kong_super_smash_bros__by_mattdog1000000-d9idzrp.png
I'm a HUGE supporter of Cranky Kong, and he's my most wanted character from my favorite franchise, the DK franchise. Do I expect him? Not one bit. But I do feel he is the most unique character from the DK franchise, and has the most potential for a creative moveset, while at the same time he represents the oldest of DK games and the newest of DK games.

Cranky is also one of the most prominent characters in the DK series, having appeared in more games than either Dixie Kong or King K. Rool. And in most games he's in, he's a key character, and in terms of NPCs, he's essentially the Rosalina of most DK games. Very important. But I feel what makes him most deserving of all are two games, the very first Donkey Kong for arcades, and the latest DK game, Tropical Freeze. Currently, the DK roster doesn't really properly represent either of those games. DK pulls more from DKC1, and Diddy from DK64. But Cranky can pull from both of those games rather easily. Sure, Dixie could represent Tropical Freeze pretty well, but she's also playable in DKC2 and 3... DKCTF is the only main series DK game where Cranky is playable, so if he's included, he'd be the best character to represent it.

Sakurai can sometimes pick unconventional characters, sometimes unexpected ones that the fans aren't even asking for. And he usually goes for the ones that are unique, and an octogenarian 8-bit obsessed fourth wall breaking gorilla is pretty dang unique. And I'd love to see the old ape fight against his long time rival for the first time since the arcade days.

The one downside, we already know he appears in the returning Jungle Japes stage as a background element... but let's hope that doesn't make him impossible to join.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
** Donkey's Kong's roster feels far from complete. Its messing with me. Haha After Dixie Kong, we NEED Cranky Kong due to the historic quality and lore he has behind him. ** Its to the point where, I think I'm getting obsessed with Cranky Kong now. He's one of my top 5 most wanted characters now.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So, assuming Dixie makes it into the base roster, can we expect Cranky for DLC given Tropical Freeze? I would hope so!

UserKev

Smash Champion
So, assuming Dixie makes it into the base roster, can we expect Cranky for DLC given Tropical Freeze? I would hope so!
No. Haha Its common notice not to expect Cranky Kong for DLC. He's either in the base roster or he isn't in the game.

I'm just gonna reply to this now. Haha That is totally a bs call. If Cranky Kong does end up in Smash, hopefully the Nintendo version is ignored. I can see Sakurai doing this in favor of the extra uniqueness the original Cranky Kong brings with his personality.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
But if there is a new DK game coming out year, maybe they could add Cranky as DLC to promote it! (If he’s playable in that game)

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Cranky used to be my most wanted DK rep but... that has changed. If he still got in I'd be happy though.

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
Cranky is my favorite of the Kong’s and has the potential to have a really cool move set, as already shown in the initial post. It would also be really fun to have a cane user as a playable character and show all the whippersnappers how it’s really done! I support.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I posted in the Rate The Chances and voted Cranky Kong just to get him noticed. Haha Obviously most are not paying attention to his potential.

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
I feel like Dixie Kong is the next step for the DK series (and not undeservingly), but I’ll only really be satisfied with the DK reps if we get Dixie and Cranky. Hey, if Fire Emblem can have 7, then I think DK can have 5. Basically, I want the whole DK:TF playable character squad plus K.Rool (and Funky Kong would be more than welcome to me too).

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
I posted in the Rate The Chances and voted Cranky Kong just to get him noticed. Haha Obviously most are not paying attention to his potential.
I think with a lot of slept on characters it’s just a matter of exposure to get more hype and conversation going. Also, If I’m not mistaken, I think Cranky got pretty high on the smash ballot (I might be wrong though).

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think with a lot of slept on characters it’s just a matter of exposure to get more hype and conversation going. Also, If I’m not mistaken, I think Cranky got pretty high on the smash ballot (I might be wrong though).
As far as Dixie being the next DK rep, that's undeniable. DK's roster in Smash still wouldn't be complete tho since Cranky Kong is a missing and necessary Donkey Kong rep and probably the last.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Not only do I unironically want Crank Kong in, but I would totally main him, even over K. Rool. Count my support in!

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I unironically want Cranky in smash over Dixie and Funky. He just seems like such an interesting character.

His final smash could be him turning into 8-bit Donkey Kong and crushing his opponents with barrels

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’ll support it, Donkey Kong Country was the very first game that I played as a kid and I fondly remember the intro with good ol’ Cranky with the record player pumping out the theme song and giving me advice along the way throughout my adventure whenever I went to his cabin. I’d say he’d play similar to how he does in Tropical Freeze and a little how Scrooge McDuck plays in DuckTales and why wouldn’t people want the OG Donkey Kong from the 1981 Arcade Game in Smash? I say bring in Funky Kong too while they’re at it as well.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Add me to the list of Cranky Kong supporters. While I'd be cool with him being a Resetti-styled Assist Trophy, I'd love to whack Ganondorf and Ridley on the head with his walking cane that he can also bounce around with.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Cranky Kong is looking to be such a fascinating possible newcomer. He's an actual first party Nintendo character, potentially iconic and could actually be the fastest DK rep.

I feel like everyone stating Funky Kong is more deserving are absolutely false, not that he shouldn't be in. Cranky Kong or Dixie should definitely be the next newcomers. Then the same can be said for Funky. Honestly, Funky Kong is potentially turning out to be a forced option.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Yes. All the yes is right here.

I support Cranky for SSB. After Dixie, he makes the most sense.
I can legitimately see Cranky added before Dixie because he'd be basically Mario's true rival. Dixie Kong is looking more to be a echo reveal to be honest.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I can legitimately see Cranky added before Dixie because he'd be basically Mario's true rival. Dixie Kong is looking more to be a echo reveal to be honest.
Dixie is almost definitely an echo imo, while Cranky isn't as easy. It's because of this I feel that Dixie will be guaranteed while Cranky's chances are very slim. But Cranky can be spun as more deserving for many valid reasons, but ultimately everybody will be asking where Dixie is if she's not there. I think they'll give us an easy Dixie clone and Cranky won't come until some sequel.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
His chances are sadly pretty low but I still support. Cranky is awesome and Smash is long overdue for a wise elderly fighter.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I support Cranky Kong's inclusion.

Smash Ultimate is adding a lot of villain characters, so why not add in the character that was Nintendo's first villain and helped start it all alongside Mario and Pauline yet also their first anti-hero/redeemed villain.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Smash Ultimate is adding a lot of villain characters, so why not add in the character that was Nintendo's first villain and helped start it all alongside Mario and Pauline yet also their first anti-hero/redeemed villain.
three out of nine isnt that many

UserKev

Smash Champion

This is just one of the many examples of merit Cranky Kong has as far as reasoning for inclusion. He's just missing optional popularity.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
three out of nine isnt that many
Sorry, I'm confused a bit by what you mean when you say three out of nine.

If you mean Dark Seamus, K Rool, and Ridley I was referring to whent in previous games we've only got up to two or one villain being introduced as a playable character(s), (I don't count Wario, Dedede and Meta Knight in Brawl, they're all at most an anti-hero these days despite what the K Rool trailer says about Meta Knight, similar reasoning goes for Dark Pit. Nor do I count Mewtwo since outside of the anime, like most of the Pokémon he's neutral, only reason he fights back when someone's trying to capture him is out of self-preservation since I'm quite sure if anyone was an animal that's not usually kept as a domestic pet you wouldn't want to be captured. I would've clumped Wolf in here too if it wasn't for the fact recently he's being portrayed in his villainous roles of old again since post assault he's been more of an anti-hero until that Star Fox 64 remake, Zero, and now Starlink released.) So in all we only had

Melee: 2 (Bowser, Ganondorf)
Brawl: 1 (Wolf)
Smash 4: 1 (Bowser Jr.)

Then in Ultimate so far we have 3, K Rool, Ridley, and Dark Samus.

So when it comes to smash games (more so modern ones) three villains certainly is a lot, but as my post says Cranky is infact a redeemed villain, a hero nowadays. I just listed his past as one reason I'd like to see him get in smash one day so the OG Nintendo villain got the love and respect he deserves, since without him we wouldn't even have the villains we know and love that are currently in Smash bros, heck that could go for most of the characters in Smash actually.

But if I'm wrong on my assumption... could you please elaborate?

Top Bottom