• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky Kong comes out of retirement!

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I support Cranky for Smash, and I agree that he would be the closest we’ll get to Shovel Knight or Scrooge McDuck in Smash. He should have his own stage with more music from the Donkey Kong series, especially Donkey Kong Country. Both originals and new remixes! I wonder if they’d give us a Smash remix of Showdown at the Tower?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I support Cranky for Smash, and I agree that he would be the closest we’ll get to Shovel Knight or Scrooge McDuck in Smash. He should have his own stage with more music from the Donkey Kong series, especially Donkey Kong Country. Both originals and new remixes! I wonder if they’d give us a Smash remix of Showdown at the Tower?
Uh, while awesome, Jungle Japes or Kongo Falls work amazingly well. It's King K. Rool that really needs his own stage.
Can we all agree that if Cranky ever get's in he should have his own codex or guidance?
f** right. I suggested this awhile ago. Nice to see it's still being mentioned.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It depends entirely on the writer.

Or, as a Rare staffer once lovingly said, if anyone says otherwise, just plug your ears and sing until it goes away. Besides, grandfather version raises the question of what happened to Junior.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Can we all agree that if Cranky ever get's in he should have his own codex or guidance?
A problem seems visible to me by this proposition, though I do like the prospect. While Cranky is known for... talking, who would he be talking to? Would it not be awkward for Donkey Kong, who does not use a voice actor in his sound clips, to be suddenly imbued with the power to hold an extended dialogue? Furthermore, it seems the obvious choice for him to be the advice giver if that is the content of such a smash taunt scenario.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A problem seems visible to me by this proposition, though I do like the prospect. While Cranky is known for... talking, who would he be talking to? Would it not be awkward for Donkey Kong, who does not use a voice actor in his sound clips, to be suddenly imbued with the power to hold an extended dialogue? Furthermore, it seems the obvious choice for him to be the advice giver if that is the content of such a smash taunt scenario.
i think they meant interrupting someone elses

UserKev

Smash Champion
Theoretically, Cranky Kong could talk to specifically Diddy and Dixie Kong while DK would always be the absent nephew for his lectures. It'd be interesting and unique like that.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Theoretically, Cranky Kong could talk to specifically Diddy and Dixie Kong while DK would always be the absent nephew for his lectures. It'd be interesting and unique like that.
That would still leave me with the question of voice actors for Diddy. If it was exclusively Dixie, they could get by simply giving her a voice actor since she does not have a speech/non-speech affirmation.

UserKev

Smash Champion
That would still leave me with the question of voice actors for Diddy. If it was exclusively Dixie, they could get by simply giving her a voice actor since she does not have a speech/non-speech affirmation.
Bruh, I just want Cranky Kong playable. While rambling is a staple of his character, it being absent from Smash would be more unnoticeable than anything and still quirky.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What do you mean?
Well, consider this:

In a general sense, given his habits Sak tends to rely more on dialogue boxes if he's worked on a game like Kid Icarus Uprising, or if the series he includes is known for using them (e.g. Star Fox).

In Metal Gear Solid's case, it uses codecs, so it's likely that Konami's permission was asked to use them.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Well, consider this:

In a general sense, given his habits Sak tends to rely more on dialogue boxes if he's worked on a game like Kid Icarus Uprising, or if the series he includes is known for using them (e.g. Star Fox).

In Metal Gear Solid's case, it uses codecs, so it's likely that Konami's permission was asked to use them.
I see. That is logical. I do not keep up that well with Sakurai's idiosyncrasies, but it sounds like that practically rules out a dialogue box for the Kongs... and it would have been so pleasing! It is not everyday you get to see the Kongs that don't have grey beards and bad attitudes express their personalities vocally!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It would be funny though if DK were to summon Cranky only for him to say something like "I wasn't trying to contact you, you overgrown orangutan! I was..." 'Cuts off transmission' Lol!

UserKev

Smash Champion
i like it but ive never thought about it being detailed

speaking of looks, how would people feel about the lab coat and goggles as an alt?
That's the scientist from Star Fox. I don't think especially a lab coat would suit Cranky. He may uses potions, but their just a purchasable gimmick.

UserKev

Smash Champion
So you mean it was a little out of character for him so he shouldn’t have it?
It isn't all that necessary. It'd be overall the wrong impression. A karate uniform custom with work better tho.

UserKev

Smash Champion
It look to be for Cranky's case, we're in for a waiting game like Isabella. Cranky has all the merit while still there's nothing really to talk about in terms of speculation. It's going to be a long and brutal wait..

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
My question would, in light of the above, be this: What could constitute a sure fire sign of a famous game character's future inclusion if a recently and long awaited playable appearance could not?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's the scientist from Star Fox. I don't think especially a lab coat would suit Cranky. He may uses potions, but their just a purchasable gimmick.
Well, he did wear a coat in DK64 so he's done the scientist gimmick at least once. It would be a sick alt for him in Smash.

My question would, in light of the above, be this: What could constitute a sure fire sign of a famous game character's future inclusion if a recently and long awaited playable appearance could not?
I think Cranky becoming a racer in the next Mario Kart and him constantly making playable appearances in the future mainline DKC games will eventually ensure him a slot in the Smash roster at some point. K. Rool's in Smash and Dixie and Funky are in Mario Kart Tour so that's plus since that's makes Cranky very likely for Mario Kart 9 along with the other Kongs, K. Rool, and the Kremlings.

I think the rumors Hyle Russell has mentioned are true that Nintendo is planning to make DKC big again like it was in the 90s and make it a top official Nintendo franchise like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon instead of a secondary one that barely get's games anymore. I think the future is looking very bright for the DKC franchise. :)

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think Cranky becoming a racer in the next Mario Kart and him constantly making playable appearances in the future mainline DKC games will eventually ensure him a slot in the Smash roster at some point. K. Rool's in Smash and Dixie and Funky are in Mario Kart Tour so that's plus since that's makes Cranky very likely for Mario Kart 9 along with the other Kongs, K. Rool, and the Kremlings.

I think the rumors Hyle Russell has mentioned are true that Nintendo is planning to make DKC big again like it was in the 90s and make it a top official Nintendo franchise like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon instead of a secondary one that barely get's games anymore. I think the future is looking very bright for the DKC franchise. :)
I can't see the Kremlings in Mario Kart, but def K. Rool and Cranky Kong. In terms of a roster slot being ensured for Crank, I believe it's already laid out, just Sakurai more or less likely doesn't see appeal in DK. Cranky's likeliness just cements his stay in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Right now, I'm waiting to see if Pauline's newfound revitalized popularity via Mario Odyssey will have her included in Smash, in either 6 or sometime before Ultimate DLC ends somehow. This, I think, would test that theory.

I can't see the Kremlings in Mario Kart, but def K. Rool and Cranky Kong. In terms of a roster slot being ensured for Crank, I believe it's already laid out, just Sakurai more or less likely doesn't see appeal in DK. Cranky's likeliness just cements his stay in Smash.
We did get K. Rool in spite of that, and since we're almost running out of major Mario characters anyway, there wouldn't be much choice other than branch out into DK. I could see Kalypso get in Mario Kart eventually, if fans like her enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom