• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky Kong comes out of retirement!

Oddball

Smash Lord
If I remember, didn't DK Jr grow up to the DK we have today? Or is the DK we have today Cranky's grandson? Honestly I can't remember.
Officially DK jr is either the current Donkey Kong or the father of the current Donkey Kong depending on which game you trust. Nintendo has said both.

It also gets confusing because even though they say Cranky is the original DK, all the spinoffs and crossovers with Mario treat the current DK and the original DK like they're the same character.

Personally, I go with the idea that cranky is just a senile old coot and the original DK and the current one are the same guy.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Officially DK jr is either the current Donkey Kong or the father of the current Donkey Kong depending on which game you trust. Nintendo has said both.

It also gets confusing because even though they say Cranky is the original DK, all the spinoffs and crossovers with Mario treat the current DK and the original DK like they're the same character.

Personally, I go with the idea that cranky is just a senile old coot and the original DK and the current one are the same guy.
Nah. DK is completely young, otherwise his Smash move set or Final Smash would involve barrels. Cranky Kong gives hints that he's potentially the original, especially with his "Back in my day" gabber.

D

Deleted member

Cranky Kong would be the closest thing to a playable Shovel Knight or Scrooge McDuck if he has moves from Tropical Freeze.

UserKev

Smash Champion
So its been considered confirmed that DK Jr. is the son of Cranky Kong while DK is the son of DK Jr.

Also fun fact, Cranky Kong is in a window in Jungle Japes in Melee.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So its been considered confirmed that DK Jr. is the son of Cranky Kong while DK is the son of DK Jr.

Also fun fact, Cranky Kong is in a window in Jungle Japes in Melee.
yes but the same time cranky has referred to dk as his son

UserKev

Smash Champion
Cranky Kong using his cane as a pogo Down B would be amazing. I don't think I can imagine his natural B projectile other than barrels though.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm now repulsed by Cranky Kong using potions in his moveset. It should only be a youthful matter, used as far as his Final Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Cranky Kong should only use a potion as far as his Final Smash, which he still shouldn't need even then. He can revert back to the original Donkey Kong simply programed.
oh i see what you were saying

might i ask what youve got against the potions?

UserKev

Smash Champion
oh i see what you were saying

might i ask what youve got against the potions?
Its a forced gimmick. You never see Cranky Kong use potions in DK games. Why would he suddenly need them? Its random to where, it'd be too random. Cranky Kong could just have a moveset entirely based on the elderly aspect.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Its a forced gimmick. You never see Cranky Kong use potions in DK games. Why would he suddenly need them? Its random to where, it'd be too random. Cranky Kong could just have a moveset entirely based on the elderly aspect.
its not random it comes from donkey kong 64

UserKev

Smash Champion
Can anyone imagine how fun it would be to spam Cranky Kong's pogo stick move if he were to have it? :chuckle: *Deep breather* I wonder if Sakurai is paying attention..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Can anyone imagine how fun it would be to spam Cranky Kong's pogo stick move if he were to have it? :chuckle: *Deep breather* I wonder if Sakurai is paying attention..
i think a lot of us are imagining, cant be sure, but i know i do

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bumping the topic, any other Cranky Kong supporters? I'm totally on board with Cranky Kong using potions in his moveset now. Its visually interesting.
I posted here ages ago, so I'd like to be added as a supporter. Splat hasn't posted since 2018.:dk:

That being said, now that we're reaching DK's 40th, things might look good for Cranky. Also the custom icon for him doesn't work anymore, so that would be nice.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I posted here ages ago, so I'd like to be added as a supporter. Splat hasn't posted since 2018.:dk:

That being said, now that we're reaching DK's 40th, things might look good for Cranky. Also the custom icon for him doesn't work anymore, so that would be nice.
You'll probably have to ask the mods to add you to the support list since Splat hasn't posted since 2019. The moderators were the last ones to have edited the opening post and they added me and some others to the support list.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion

I wouldn't mind being the new owner of this topic if no one else is interested. At the most, we might just get a classic DK port for 40th. We'd get a Cranky Kong narration direct if we're more lucky tho.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wouldn't mind being the new owner of this topic if no one else is interested. At the most, we might just get a classic DK port for 40th. We'd get a Cranky Kong narration direct if we're more lucky tho.
You can only be the owner if you have a post older than the OP. It's weird, but that how this site works.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i could always use my op from the old crank thread
What was the old Crunky thread the Smash 4 one? Because like I said, if you weren't the original thread owner and you wanted to become the next thread owner you would have to have a post older than the OP.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What was the old Crunky thread the Smash 4 one? Because like I said, if you weren't the original thread owner and you wanted to become the next thread owner you would have to have a post older than the OP.
i know ive taken over threads before, and yes i was referring to my one from smash 4's time

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Support, support, support! If it is one thing I like more than Donkey Kong (and I am afraid that would be a lie, but I shall not list the superiors), it is his grandfather, or father depending on who you ask. Despite his simplistic game history up to Tropical Freeze, which I have yet to see, his rantings would leave you thinking he was James Bond if you believed him. He would be a fun, timely, canonical, and hilarious addition to Smash Bros. if developers capitalized on his signature highlight-- his senile whining--, barrel tossing, cane attacks, and laughable mobility.

I would like it if his down special was something like this: Cranky sits in his rocking chair and faces the screen. On every rock, he heals 1%, and on every third rock, a speech cloud appears above his head which breaks the fourth wall, and causes some random effect depending on what he says. He might say, "...This game is so boring. In my day, we focused on substance, the good stuff... Now, games could put a tree to sleep!" And nearby opponents fall into a helpless slumber. The chair would be a leftover, heavy item that can block projectiles and be destroyed.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I really like the standard and up specials in the OP. Very clever stuff.

I support Cranky, but I personally think he'd be better as an assist trophy (kind of like Mr. Resetti in Brawl). Just imagine it: you pop open an assist capsule and the Cranky's Cabin theme starts playing. Cranky just sits on his rocking chair, covering the screen with his rants and occasionally hollering like in DKC Returns. I think it'd be a hoot, and very true to his character. Doc Monocle's idea of him putting characters to sleep is also good.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Support, support, support! If it is one thing I like more than Donkey Kong (and I am afraid that would be a lie, but I shall not list the superiors), it is his grandfather, or father depending on who you ask. Despite his simplistic game history up to Tropical Freeze, which I have yet to see, his rantings would leave you thinking he was James Bond if you believed him. He would be a fun, timely, canonical, and hilarious addition to Smash Bros. if developers capitalized on his signature highlight-- his senile whining--, barrel tossing, cane attacks, and laughable mobility.

I would like it if his down special was something like this: Cranky sits in his rocking chair and faces the screen. On every rock, he heals 1%, and on every third rock, a speech cloud appears above his head which breaks the fourth wall, and causes some random effect depending on what he says. He might say, "...This game is so boring. In my day, we focused on substance, the good stuff... Now, games could put a tree to sleep!" And nearby opponents fall into a helpless slumber. The chair would be a leftover, heavy item that can block projectiles and be destroyed.
Cranky Kong is one of the last Nintendo characters with a genuinely fun move set without being too simple. Like what I suggested earlier, I would love a pogo stick air Down A. You can squeeze in some martial arts references and possibly a limbo counter.
I really like the standard and up specials in the OP. Very clever stuff.

I support Cranky, but I personally think he'd be better as an assist trophy (kind of like Mr. Resetti in Brawl). Just imagine it: you pop open an assist capsule and the Cranky's Cabin theme starts playing. Cranky just sits on his rocking chair, covering the screen with his rants and occasionally hollering like in DKC Returns. I think it'd be a hoot, and very true to his character. Doc Monocle's idea of him putting characters to sleep is also good.
Isabella could have easily been an assist, yet she's in the game. Sheik could easily make sense as a assist, yet she's in the game.

I agree. Maybe Cranky Kong can start off as an assist, eventually a playable character that wouldn't be too much of a left field pick. What really makes Cranky Kong so sensible is due to his amazing build up and legend quota.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Cranky Kong is one of the last Nintendo characters with a genuinely fun move set without being too simple.
I beg to differ! Yes, it may be said that his mobility would be sluggish, and it would take SOME work to compile an appropriate, consistent, and exciting moveset, but he has plenty of retrospective (and if you like, modern, but I prefer prefer to steer clear of that denture popgun I heard about) references, and I gladly take up the challenge, so here is a basic moveset summary:

Jab (AA): Cranky punches forward with his left hand, and swings his cane upward to follow.
Side tilt: Cranky thrusts the end of his cane forward.
Up tilt: Cranky jump-punches upward.
Down tilt: Cranky trips the opponent with his cane, even at high damage.
Dash attack: Cranky kicks forward (in a similar way to Brawl Donkey Kong), supported by his cane. He stumbles afterward.

Up smash: Cranky throws a barrel over his head. The barrel rolls along the ground, damaging foes and absorbing projectiles. The properties of the attack are random and determined by the barrel thrown, with standard barrels (65% chance) being the most common, steel barrels (20% chance) reflecting projectiles and bouncing off walls, and TNT barrels (15% chance) exploding upon impact with the ground.

Side smash: Cranky swings his cane to his left, similarly to how Donkey swings the home-run bat in Brawl.

Down smash: Cranky slams the ground with his cane, causing a quake nearby.

His aerials are cane swings, a cork-screw attack, and a punch.

Down air is a pogostick attack (like you said) that functions similarly to Link's down air, except he bounces off the ground if the move does not end before landing, meaning it has no landing lag, and because it is a stall-then-fall move, it can functions as a useful escape move.

Neutral B: Cranky throws a pixelated jack that bounces along the stage that causes severe knockback, comes out quickly, and cancels nearly all projectiles, but only four can be thrown before Cranky must wait for three minutes to use the move again.

Side B: Cranky pulls a potion out of his vest. This is a throwing item that, upon striking an opponent or Cranky, randomly buffs or debuffs them. There is a random color aesthetic.

Down B: What I suggested earlier.

Up B: Cranky launches himself upward at a controllable angle using a cannon barrel.

Final Smash: Cranky plays through the animation seen at the beginning of Donkey Kong Country, repelling opponents with a force field and healing periodically.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This makes no sense to me. The main difference between Mr. Resetti and Cranky is that one was previously playable, the other not. They pretty much just have "cranky old man that break the fourth wall" in common.

Only the Smash staff can deem whether or not anyone gets in as an AT. We have no say over that, I mean look at Alucard: on paper he has all the qualities to be playable, but they still acknowledged that we might prefer to have a Belmont first.

This is neat, but I kinda prefer Cranky Kong going back to his 8-bit glory days and throwing barrels in terms of Final Smash. It's iconic.
I agree. Besides, there really isn't much else they would do from canon material for a FS, seeing as he doesn't have any power-up/spin-off gimmicks or "Donkey Kong Hundred Crack Fist".

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So it wouldn't be cool in a future DKC game to see Cranky make a potion to make himself young again? It would be cool to see the classic arcade Donkey Kong in DKC in action at least once.
i dunno that might be more canon that nintendo is willing to commit to

UserKev

Smash Champion
So it wouldn't be cool in a future DKC game to see Cranky make a potion to make himself young again? It would be cool to see the classic arcade Donkey Kong in DKC in action at least once.
It'd definitely be neat. It should be like Tropical Freeze where Cranky Kong can achieve potions that lets him go back as a transformation and rampage the level. Imagine every character having their own special, but everyone gravitates to Cranky Kong.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
This is neat, but I kinda prefer Cranky Kong going back to his 8-bit glory days and throwing barrels in terms of Final Smash. It's iconic.
I think that would make more sense myself. I just thought a healing final smash would be an interesting touch, and I wanted to make use of his phonograph for its nostalgia invoking appearance in the introduction of Donkey Kong Country, but perhaps this would be better suited for a taunt or idle pose.

I agree. Any possible reference (that is not too convoluted) to the arcade games should be exploited.The only problem is this: Cranky is always complaining about things like modern graphics in fourth-wall-breaking comments. How would old Donkey Kong appear? Would he suddenly reverse aging as an 'upgrade' only to revert to a pixelated version of himself, or would his younger self be given a brand new render, defeating the appeal of a retrospective inclusion?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I agree. Any possible reference (that is not too convoluted) to the arcade games should be exploited.The only problem is this: Cranky is always complaining about things like modern graphics in fourth-wall-breaking comments. How would old Donkey Kong appear? Would he suddenly reverse aging as an 'upgrade' only to revert to a pixelated version of himself, or would his younger self be given a brand new render, defeating the appeal of a retrospective inclusion?
Either would be great, but Cranky Kong reverting to a pixelated version of him self is clever. It's something my gut is telling me. His younger self getting a brand new render should be in a DK anniversary or some special Nintendo event.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Either would be great, but Cranky Kong reverting to a pixelated version of him self is clever. It's something my gut is telling me. His younger self getting a brand new render should be in a DK anniversary or some special Nintendo event.
I mean, just look at :ultpacman:, if he can go back to an older incarnation of himself at will, why wouldn't Cranky? It'd be fun to see that one outside of just 75M.

That being said, the issue is that Zelda and Metroid are also getting anniversaries this year (among others), and we have no idea which will be celebrated/capitalized on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom