• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter to Peach's d.smash?

gammonwalker

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, ex-Brawl player tryina' learn up Melee again. Game has ruined me. What are some strategies, techniques to counter Peach's d.smash?

Here are my problems...
-extremely fast initial and recovery frames (so it seems)
-ridiculous priority and a large hit box (stuffs all Falcon's smashes/trades certain aerials)
-cannot be shield grabbed out of (bad timing?)
-destroys shield and often goes through it
-jump/roll/dodge you'll probably get hit

There are too many variables that make the move very difficult to punish aside from simply avoiding it. However, I can't let the opponent get away with throwing out moves for free. I usually have to end up blocking all the hits. I refuse to believe its unpunishable.

SHFFL dair seems to work real nice with minimal risk. Should I just fly around the screen like a dope, popping out random SHFFL dairs the same dope'ish frequency a Peach player would use d.smash?

Am I just being ******** and shouldn't even be within its effective range? My friend typically uses it from a spot dodge, which causes supreme problems.

Hate it, hate it.

EDIT: There seems to be some confusion as to my dilemna. Punishing a whiffed d.smash isn't terribly difficult, should have been more direct. A blocked one on the other hand appears to be impossible, especially on low shield. Am I supposed to just block the whole thing and have my shield whittled away with no repercussions?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
If she misses it you can grab her before she can do anything (with good timing). You can also shffl a stomp, which will flat out beats it since it comes from above and destroys CC:ing

ICEDTEA1325

Smash Apprentice
you could dd and when she does the dsmash knee her in the face to send her flying again pretty much dair but whatever you prefer. grab can also work wonders but after that move not to much lag on it so you have to be quick.

Muhr.

Smash Rookie
After you shield let up on the trigger and light shield. you will slide back, then stomp the *****.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Shield DI away and buffer roll if you want to be safe
Shield DI away and sh knee/stomp OOS if you want to be less safe

but overall, you just shouldn't let her hit your shield with it. It usually beats shield since it'll eat it until it shieldpokes.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
depends on where she is. wife likes to use it on platforms when you're underneath, and if you try to short hop anything on YS or PS it hits you. usmash can work in that situation. i'm not sure if it can contact on dreamland, but i know ganon's can, so if falcon has the same usmash range he can.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
try to roll away from peach instead of shielding, shes too slow to easily catch you

that being said, you should try to read those spot dodges and either grab her afterwards or do a short hop knee or stomp without fastfalling to get her at the end of the dodge

I.B

Smash Lord
if she likes to dsmash to cover herself when you're going in for a grab/aerial, either dd fake her or empty short hop to waveland back or something.

also, overshooting works.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
guys he explained that hes talking about when he's shielded it, and the answer is no you cant reliably punish it, dont up b out of shield thats a bad idea. no offense bil.

do your best to avoid shielding peaches stuff except dash attack, but even then you dont know for sure when shes gonna do it or if she'll aerial or grab or something else. try not to have to shield.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
just dair it like makes her down smash pointless i think if u space it right u can hit her wit it when she down smash if u come from above

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I was watching Marco play a Link in a friendly and he Daired a Link's shield and then SHed into Falcon Punch because the Link tried to shield grab it.

It was one of the sexiest things I've ever seen and I fucking hate Falcon.

Metà

Smash Master
Has anyone ever tried using shield DI to get away from the rest of the hits? If you were ale to move away enough during the initial hits, you may save yourself a bit of shield stun, allowing you to punish her. You'd need to spam the joystick away with really good timing though, so as not to roll by accident.

For those who don't know what shield DI is, it's when you move yourself during shield stun (while you're being hit by an attack).

MeleeOnly

Smash Cadet
if you hit them with an aerial and lands behind them (either they get hit and get stunned or you hit their shield and they get stunned), you have the option to do whatever, you can't get punished for that, peach can dsmash out of shield loool, basically...just don't get grabbed and don't get off the edge unless it's safe

Foxy

Smash Master
against most of the peaches i've played that throw out dsmash constantly, if they do one that misses you just punish the ending lag with a quick knee and eventually they'll stop doing it so much after 2-5 punishes, even if they hit a few.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
against most of the peaches i've played that throw out dsmash constantly, if they do one that misses you just punish the ending lag with a quick knee and eventually they'll stop doing it so much after 2-5 punishes, even if they hit a few.
Peaches don't tend to stop d-smashing. It's their bread and butter.
What do you do if you can't approach? Let them come to you and dsmash.
What do you do if turnips just aren't doing it? Dsmash.
What do you do if anything bad is happening? dsmash.

Top Bottom