• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ControlSim is finished! Now you can play any GC game online!

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Is there any video of this? also Theres a video for step by step instructions, can you post the link, which versions are supported currently will they all be supported eventually?

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
The first link just has the download the second link is a forum which could have this information anywhere, do you need Action Replay codes enabled to use this thing? It still doesnt answer many of my questions.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
bill7907 said:
Okay i hear about "rubber-banding" and some other problems with SSBM, but do you think you guys will be able to make the game run as fast playing offline?
Well, lag is always going to be an issue (until someone invents tachyon communications, the laws of physics say so), but under normal Internet conditions, lag can be minimal if the algorithms that deal with it are good. I'd say that GCARS-CS is very good at dealing with lag, at least in theory, because the game never slows down, and frames are never dropped. The only problem at the moment is the rubber-banding, which occurs because the controller data being sent is lossy, i.e. 5 out of 6 frames of controller data are discarded.

The newest version of GCARS-CS, v0.9.2, has a feature that changes the update frequency. In theory, an update frequency of updating every frame would be totally lossless, and have no rubber-banding. The flip side of that is that 60 updates per second will use 6 times as much bandwidth as GCARS-CS's default settings. In addition, it is possible (i.e. no one knows at the moment whether this will happen) for frames to be dropped because of the extra load GCARS-CS would put on the CPU when dealing with 3 remote players sending 60 packets per second. Since no one's tested that feature yet, no one knows if 60 updates per second is playable in SSBM because of bandwidth and frame dropping. Even if it's not, 30 updates per second would still be a huge improvement over the rubber-banding seen with 10. Again, since no one's tested it yet, this is just speculation, so I'm going to stop speculating before I say something stupid. ;)

Now, some people are asking about how to set this up. Here's what you'll need, if I remember correctly. (a) A Broadband Adapter. (b) A method of loading .dol files onto your GameCube. (c) A supported game (at the moment, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle USA or SSBM 1.0 USA).

The BBA can be bought at various places online (use Froogle). The method of loading .dol files onto your GameCube is the hardest thing. There are some ways of doing this:

(a) Use PSOLoad in conjunction with Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 (1&2+ and 3 will not work). This is probably the cheapest method, but it takes a couple minutes of setup each time you want to play, and requires some basic networking skills. See GCDev.com for more info about this.
(b) Use SDLoad in conjunction with an Action Replay, a GameCube SD Card Adapter, and an SD card. This is much faster than PSOLoad once you have it set up, but it takes some effort to set up, and it requires computer skills. It is also kind of expensive if you don't already have an SD Card. See GCDev.com for more info.
(c) Use Max Drive Pro. This is the most user-friendly method from what I've heard, but it costs $40, and is reported to be difficult to find. I believe it is available from CodeJunkies.
(d) Use a modchip. This requires soldering skills, and will void your GameCube's warrenty. Not recommended for beginners.
(e) Use Samson's loader. This is as fast as SDLoad once you have it set up, and setup is easier than SDLoad, however, you'll need another method to set it up (because setup involves executing a .dol). If you have a friend who already has one of these methods set up, or you can rent PSO, this is a great choice. I don't have a link at the moment (and I'm too lazy to go find the link), but search around Dextrose and GCDev, and you'll probably find it.

There, did I explain that okay?

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Ok, were missiong a question will it support all versions of SSBM eventually or will it stay 1.0 only? That cant be the whole setup dont you have to change settings or something putting a DOL file on the GC seems simple enough but what do you do after that, also whats the easiest method to do it Im not modding my GC 40 bucks for a max loader is insane. So is SD Cards PSOLoad you have to buy the game to do this? Samsons looks like the only free way... I hope.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
bill7907 said:
But why do we need some computer skills for the "Phantasy Star Online" method.Isn't it only inserting the game then take it out.Then put Smash brothers or any other Gamecube game you want to play online and then you're set?Or it's more complicated than that.

I seriously suggest you guys(i'm talking to the people who are making the program and the testers) to explain this the easiest way possible because there's more people than you think who are not comfortable with computers.Again this will scare them away.I mean yeah everything is good,you guys started testing the game and it actually works,but if you want more people to join you will need to make it seem much easier than that.

You will need a step-by-step to the easiest method.
Amen, im not bad with computers but A. I dont want to spend money and B. I dont want to waste time trying to figure out how to set it up I WANT TO PLAY ONLINE :chuckle:

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
If you have the adapter and PSO1+2 (you know, that's one game) (note that PSO1&2 plus and PSO3 both won't work!!) then you need to get Cubesoft Phoenix 2.5 (google it around), which is sortof a wrapup of all the programs you need. Then, find on google a tutorial on streaming gamecube games, I believe there's on on the afterdawn forums, dand there will be explained how to initialize your memory card (that's part 1 of the tutorial). After that, all you have to do is choose 'load DOL file' in Phoenix 2.5 and load up the PSO1&2 game the same way as you have already done in that tutorial. Where you obviously load the gcars dol file. Voila, you've got gcars running on your cube. What to do next, you have to go to the leetstudios gx forums (there's already a link in this thread), there people can explain this to you.

The great advantage of the PSO method, it's the simplest, cheapest, it just takes maybe a minute, because the PSO game has to startup first (and off course, with our luck, PSO has the longest running set of starting screens in a game, EVER >_>'). Anyway, with this method, you will be also able to backup your cubegames to your pc, and stream them from your pc to your cube (sure you could play downloaded cubegames as well, but that's illegal if you don't own the game ;)). So it's definatly worth your money. A BBA you can pick up secondhand for about 25 bucks, PSO1&2 doesn't have to be very expensive either.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
bornfidelity.com said:
If you have the adapter and PSO1+2 (you know, that's one game) (note that PSO1&2 plus and PSO3 both won't work!!) then you need to get Cubesoft Phoenix 2.5 (google it around), which is sortof a wrapup of all the programs you need. Then, find on google a tutorial on streaming gamecube games, I believe there's on on the afterdawn forums, dand there will be explained how to initialize your memory card (that's part 1 of the tutorial). After that, all you have to do is choose 'load DOL file' in Phoenix 2.5 and load up the PSO1&2 game the same way as you have already done in that tutorial. Where you obviously load the gcars dol file. Voila, you've got gcars running on your cube. What to do next, you have to go to the leetstudios gx forums (there's already a link in this thread), there people can explain this to you.

The great advantage of the PSO method, it's the simplest, cheapest, it just takes maybe a minute, because the PSO game has to startup first (and off course, with our luck, PSO has the longest running set of starting screens in a game, EVER >_>'). Anyway, with this method, you will be also able to backup your cubegames to your pc, and stream them from your pc to your cube (sure you could play downloaded cubegames as well, but that's illegal if you don't own the game ;)). So it's definatly worth your money. A BBA you can pick up secondhand for about 25 bucks, PSO1&2 doesn't have to be very expensive either.
Its sounds simple enough.... I guess a video instruction or a step by step instead of all bunched together in one paragraph would still be easier to understand, also, isnt there a free way I really dont want to buy a game just for this, unless its under 8 dollars.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Yeah, there's also a free way. You could break into to someone's house and steal his BBA and PSO. And while you're at it, check if he's got SSBM v1.0, and send it to me.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
bornfidelity.com said:
Yeah, there's also a free way. You could break into to someone's house and steal his BBA and PSO. And while you're at it, check if he's got SSBM v1.0, and send it to me.
Ok a free legal way...

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
when u say pso1 and 2 is that two separate games? or is it that one game that has episode one and two? cuz i have that! :laugh: what a great game. And Is there a Tutorial with like links to find Cubesoft Phoenix 2.5 and such ? cuz thatd be great

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
joejoe22802 said:
when u say pso1 and 2 is that two separate games? or is it that one game that has episode one and two? cuz i have that! :laugh: what a great game. And Is there a Tutorial with like links to find Cubesoft Phoenix 2.5 and such ? cuz thatd be great
It's one game, and most likely the game you've got (as long as it's not version plus). If you have a BBA, you're good to go. Just check out a few posts earlier, I explained what to look for.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
I probably should have mentioned that Samson's loader requires an Action Replay just like SDLoad. But if you actually looked around for info on it, you probably already knew that. ;)

A video tutorial would be nice, but it's just not going to happen. The main reason is that the people who are good with this kind of thing are much more interested in actually doing stuff with homebrew rather than explaining it for newbies. We try to do a little explaining, but it's hard for us to explain, because we've been familiar with it for so long that we've forgotten exactly how to explain it.

However, we do try to answer people's questions. First of all, I would ask anyone here who is interested in this to (BEFORE asking questions) make a reasonable effort to find needed information with Google. It'll be faster than waiting here for a response, and you'll avoid annoying people with easily answered questions. Yeah, it takes a few minutes, but you'll probably get better answers anyway.

A tutorial for Phoenix 2.3 is available at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/96141 . Most of the info in there is directly applicable to Phoenix 2.5 (if anything, there are very minor differences). All you want is to be able to load homebrew, so you can skip the parts about ripping and loading ISO's/GCM's. So, that means you'll be following the instructions in Phase 1.

That tutorial assumes that you're using a second NIC (that's a network interface card, or just network card, Ethernet port, whatever you want to call it, it's that piece of hardware that puts a port resembling a fat phone jack on your PC) and a crossover Ethernet cable (that's the cable used to connect two devices directly, without a hub, switch, or router). If you're using a router, most of the instructions are still applicable; just make sure that you don't touch your PC's network settings (they're needed to access the Net), and in the settings for PSO, replace 192.168.1.100 with your PC's local IP address (which you can find with ipconfig), and 192.168.1.32 with whatever you'd like your GameCube's IP to be (It can be anything, as long as the first three numbers, e.g. 192.168.1, are the same as in your PC's IP).

Anyway, once you've set up your memcard in PSO to receive .dol files, you can start loading .dols with Phoenix. Just tell Phoenix to load the .dol, and while PSOLoad/PSUL is waiting for connections, attempt to start an online game in PSO. The .dol file will be loaded, and you can start using it.

Once you've loaded the GCARS-CS .dol, the rest is fairly easy. Just enter the IP address of your Cube and your opponents, and enter the Default Gateway and Subnet Mask (which you can find with ipconfig), and you're set.

By the way, I don't know of any place where you can download Phoenix at the moment; XtremeConsole's downloads section is down at the moment, and I can't find any other places to download it. Look around AfterDawn, you might get lucky.

You can do the same thing with PSOLoad's command line interface (although there's no GUI), so if you can't find Phoenix, you might have to use the command line (it's not too hard).

EDIT: Phoenix 2.5 can be downloaded at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/153986
No need to use the command line or an older version of Phoenix.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Ok that a bits more reason able, so if you have action replay I can do it free with Samons way? If so im all game I just need a bba, which you can buy where? Also does this work with all version I saw someone post 1.2 only is it true?

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
ok im not asking for a tutorial but could i just have a list of what u need and very basic steps of what to do. (the stesp dont have to be details just very general)

wow peopel get mad easily anyway heres a link to wehere to fin d psoloader http://www.gcdev.com/downloads.shtml

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
joejoe22802: you are the worst spammer, like ever? Biolizard has put lots of time and effort in his last post (that's on top of this page) which will answer your questions.

Bakuryu: It only works with v1.0 as of now. You probably read a post saying that v1.2 (also PAL) doesn't work, because we don't yet have a script for SSBM v1.2 (a script. simply puy, is a collection of the codes that enable GCARS to receive the controllerdata from the other cubes over the internet, and since there is none yet for Melee 1.2, GCARS doesn't know how to handle the controllerdata that is sent over the internet from another cube that is playing 1.2).
Edit: That is, if you were talking about Melee v1.2 and not the samson loader 1.2 or w/ever ^_<

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Bakuryu said:
Ok that a bits more reason able, so if you have action replay I can do it free with Samons way? If so im all game I just need a bba, which you can buy where? Also does this work with all version I saw someone post 1.2 only is it true?
To use Samson's loader, you'll need an AR and a memory card (I recommend an official 59- or 251-block card). However, to set it up, you'll need to run a .dol file, which means you must already have another method to set it up. If a friend has a .dol loading method set up that you can borrow, or if you are able to rent PSO 1&2, it's a great choice. Otherwise, you're stuck with something else.

joejoe22802 said:
ok im not asking for a tutorial but could i just have a list of what u need and very basic steps of what to do. (the stesp dont have to be details just very general)
Did you even read the instructions I gave? I linked to a good tutorial, and gave lots of information. If, after doing everything in the tutorial, and searching Google extensively, there is a particular thing you don't understand, feel free to ask here, but please don't just complain that you don't get it without even attempting to get it working by yourself.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Biolizard, I heard you were able to do v1.2 (aka PAL, I believe) scripts, if you could borrow it from your friend... well, what about you do some of it at your friends' house? ^_<
'Cause really, I'm on a dead on the whole scripthacking thing.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
bornfidelity.com said:
Biolizard, I heard you were able to do v1.2 (aka PAL, I believe) scripts, if you could borrow it from your friend... well, what about you do some of it at your friends' house? ^_<
'Cause really, I'm on a dead on the whole scripthacking thing.
Actually, I believe (not 100% sure) that v1.2 USA and the PAL version are different. I'm not sure on this; that's just what I've heard.

But anyway, I don't get a lot of free time to go to friends' houses (because of homework, soccer games, and other stuff), and on the rare occasions that I do have a chance to, I think my friends would be annoyed if I spent the whole time doing something like hacking ControlSim scripts, because there really isn't anything for them to do the whole time, so they'd just be sitting there watching me hack, which I doubt they'd enjoy a lot, when we could be actually playing a game. There's also the problem that my friends don't have broadband adapters, so I'd have to bring mine, as well as a router, since they don't have routers either. And if I tried to bring my family's router to a friend's house, my parents would definitely figure out that something was up, and it probably wouldn't take too long for them to ask my friend's parents what I was doing, and then they'd find out that I was playing SSBM, and then I'd get in trouble.

So, I might try to pull it off if any of my friends ever get a router, but until then, I doubt I'd be able to do it without my parents finding out. Sorry.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
That's a pity Biolizard. I need PAL scripts :/ I'm just too much of a hacking n00b.

@Caliburchamp: u r teh_n00b, it's friggin' online, that can never be lagless... even playing on your normal cube isn't lagless due to the time the impuls needs to travel through the wire to the cube ;)
Anyway, most things work, yes. Read the past few pages, I'd suggest. ^_<

dragonsshadows

Smash Apprentice
I would be willing to try this with anyone... I already figured out the PSOLoad and getting GCARS-CS on the cube. My problem is with the IP addresses (for controller 1, controller 2, controller 3, controller 4) in GCARS-CS I don't know what to put there. I also don't know if a router will get in the way. The router sets the IP address to 192.168.0.x (x being random 'cuse my network is dynamic) won't that cause problems if im connecting to someone else who uses a similure router that uses 192.168.0.y?
Obiously to play online u'd need to use a router because you can't be connected to the PC and the GC and the internet with a crossover ethernet cable. Unless we are allowed to disconnect from the PC when GCARS-CS is loaded...

Once I figure this out... I'll be willing to post a detailed instruction manual from start to finish on how to do this. I already made one for using GCNrdGUI.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Err, dragonsshadows? You don't NEED a router I think, you just need two ports in your PC for networking cables. I have one from my pc to my cube, and one from my PC to the router (so I have online access and connection with my cube). I assume that the online data you send will go through your PC to your Gamecube.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
FIrst of all, if Phoenix just does nothing you're probably not running win2000 or winXP (if you plan on getting one, get 2000, XP sucks arse).
PSOload is included within Phoenix, so you don't need to have it separatly. Anyway, if you want to use PSOload, be sure you use it with a parameter (if you run PSOload in a dosprompt, it'll say that). I believe you had to use 'PSOLOAD -s' as a command (Start -> execute works fine, too).

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
dragonsshadows said:
I would be willing to try this with anyone... I already figured out the PSOLoad and getting GCARS-CS on the cube. My problem is with the IP addresses (for controller 1, controller 2, controller 3, controller 4) in GCARS-CS I don't know what to put there. I also don't know if a router will get in the way. The router sets the IP address to 192.168.0.x (x being random 'cuse my network is dynamic) won't that cause problems if im connecting to someone else who uses a similure router that uses 192.168.0.y?
Obiously to play online u'd need to use a router because you can't be connected to the PC and the GC and the internet with a crossover ethernet cable. Unless we are allowed to disconnect from the PC when GCARS-CS is loaded...

Once I figure this out... I'll be willing to post a detailed instruction manual from start to finish on how to do this. I already made one for using GCNrdGUI.
If you're on a router, enter for your local IP either the local IP you want your Cube to have, or leave it as 0.0.0.0 to have it assigned by DHCP.

All the other IP's should be public IP's (which each user can get for their own IP from whatismyip.com).

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Then, there's something horribly wrong with files you need, such as DLL and OCX files (OSX, OSC, whatever). The documentation with Phoenix 2.5 should solve some problems for you, otherwise you should google the problem. As long as you got winXP, it probably doesn't run due to missing essential files, and others will have had that problem.
G/luck..

dragonsshadows

Smash Apprentice
Ok I got the router to work with it now. All I needed to do was set the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and add a secondary DNS. I'm using my wireless card now so I can be on both the net and control the GC @ the same time.

Here are the instructions on how to get GCNrdGUI to work w/the cube.

start PSO
go to options
go to network options
go to provider option
load network info from mem card A
network setup
edit menu
next (under edit ISP name)
-manually set an ip address
-do not automatically disconnect
next (should be on IP address manual-settings screen)
-IP address 192.168.0.7 (the GC's IP address)
-subnet mask 255.255.255.0
-default gateway 192.168.0.2 (the PC's IP address)
-primary DNS 192.168.0.2
next
next
save
return to the game

online game
create character
enter in serial number (xx-xxxx-xxxx)
enter in access key (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx)
enter in password (connect)
save info to mem card

---stop working on GC for a moment---

go to network connections
properties of local area connection
internet protocol (tcp/ip) settings
use following ip address
-ip address 192.168.0.2
-subnet mask 255.255.255.0
-default gateway 1.1.1.1 (if you are using a crossover ethernet cable. Use 192.168.0.1 if you are using a router)
-preferred DNS server 192.168.0.2 (put the secondary DNS server as 192.168.0.1 if you are using a router. leave it blank if you are using a crossover ethernet cable)
ok
ok

go to GCNrd folder
in gcnrd.cfg make sure remote = 192.168.0.7 (the GC's address)
go to start, run, type in "cmd" and navigate to the GCNrd folder
type 'loader.exe -s'
turn off wireless card (unless using router)

on the GC click ok

cmd should say "saving user data...done! you may now reconnect and send DOL files w/o having to enter your user data in PSO ever again. closing client socket... OK"

open GCNrd GUI on your computer.
Select Ok when it asks "load PSOload?"

Go back to the cube and start an online game again.
network setup should say "local address: 192.168.000.007 (GC's address),
remote address 192.168.000.002 (pc's address)"
use the D-Pad to set the values if it doesn't say that

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
dragonsshadows said:
Ok I got the router to work with it now. All I needed to do was set the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and add a secondary DNS. I'm using my wireless card now so I can be on both the net and control the GC @ the same time.

Here are the instructions on how to get GCNrdGUI to work w/the cube.

<snip />
I should probably mention that GCNrdGUI is not necessary to run GCARS-CS. It is only necessary if you want to hack codes or scripts.

The part of the instructions you gave except for the last two paragraphs are useful for setting up PSO, however. Although Phoenix is probably more user-friendly.

Anyway, thanks for posting the instructions.

Top Bottom