• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ControlSim is finished! Now you can play any GC game online!

Lu'

Smash Cadet
A hacker has just completed a program that allows you to play any GC game online regardless if it is LAN or not(thus allowing SSBM to be played online with little or no lag).Fuzziqer has a program he made that is sort of like Xband internet bad in the day for SNES. It takes controller data streams it over the BBA over the internet and to another GC just like they were playing with your other controllers.After it arrive other code that is needed to resync the game is also streamed.(State data) All you need to do is to get the X,Y,and Z coordinates and game state data(kind of like save state for some emulaters) for the given GC game.

As soon as these are uncovered in SSBM(or any of you with Pro Action Replay can find them) you will be able to play anyone online. Online tournements,tutorials,glitch tutorials,team battle, Item battle all you want to do make your own tourneys.

here's the link to his site.

http://www.geocities.com/fuzziqer_software/

And this is the forum were he frequents to.

www.gcdev.com

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If this works with SSBM, I'm getting an online adapter thingie or whatever they're called for the GC. Finally a use for it.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Wow.. If this really has a chance of being successful just imagine the possibilities! For one thing distance would no longer be such trouble for everyone. We could play when he wanted from our households at any time. The Japanese players would finally be able to play the American players without either side having to travel so far to do so.

I have a feeling this post was overlooked by most because not many people see it as being a possibility yet. I admit I'm somewhat dubious, but nonetheless I'd really like to be informed when the project finishes (PM or IM is fine). I'd test the program, and if I saw that the program worked, then I'd spread the word to all of the smash players, who would all jump at the oppurtunity to play online.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The game would most probably have at least 1 frame of lag, which could potentially screw up our timing. But hey, at least we can play online. :D I can get lessons from top Peaches (I'll make 'em)!

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
I would just like to take this opportunity to remind people that while ControlSim will be great, they shouldn't be expecting it to be really easy to set up. For one thing, you will need broadband (dial-up will theoretically work, but lag will likely make it not as fun). You will also need a method of loading a DOL file onto your GameCube. You can do this with PSOLoad, SDLoad, Max Drive Pro, or a Viper modchip. For more info on that, check out http://www.gcdev.com. You will also need a Broadband Adapter (the Modem Adapter will not work).

In addition, ControlSim has only so far been successfully used with Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Fuzziqer/Sharpener (the author) says it shouldn't take too long for him to make it work with SSBM, but SSBM support will come after the initial release.

Also, finding opponents will be a bit tricky at first, although the Xlink Kai people are talking with Fuzziqer about ways to use Kai for finding opponents. Don't expect to be able to use Kai with ControlSim when it's initially released, however.

My point: ControlSim will be really cool, and online SSBM will rock big time, but just know that setup will take a little work, at least initially. That way you won't get disappointed.

«Vü§»

Smash Apprentice
I've played Halo through XBconnect and although it isn't the same thing, it's the same concept of playing a console game via your computer and modem. I don't know how stable ControlSim is gonna be, but Halo played like a dream. Better than Xbox Live most times. I agree with Bio, though. As with anything just coming out there is bound to be glitches and a lot of time to perfect. Once it does though, this will do wonders for the Smash community. I think everyone will have to step it up a notch, because a lot of people are going to get much better with more competition, very quickly. It should be interesting.

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
If this actually works, ways to make it easy will come soon after. Also, there is a fair number of smash players on the internet at all times (check the DC hub) so finding an opponent may not be that difficult if some sort of system is consructed. I'm just wondering how this will actually work. Like for example: will I just go to vs mode, select my character, and then I'll be in a fight with someone from somewhere else?

It sounds looney, but like I said if it actually does work, it'll be holy.

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
I accept. :) .

Stuff like this is what will make this so great. How could you make sure that someone was going to send you your money though, if you won?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you bothered to read what the poor schmucks wrote, ControlSim won't work with SSBM for some time.

How is having BroadBand a problem? AFAIK, Quetzalcoatl is the only smasher who still has a modem. I'm sure there are many more, but I can assure you the majority of SSBM-players, like the rest of mankind, have broadband (or at least asynchronous digital signal line).

Those that live in countries without aDSL/BroadBand probably don't have access to SSBM.

thundah

Smash Apprentice
meh... i give it 3 more months until anything productive (and not laggy) comes into the market...

these are great steps towards the next level of smash, but it sounds like we're not there yet and i might be getting a little excited for nothing... so i think wesa all hafta wait for QUALITY online smash...

but when it does, it'll be great... i think i'll actually start playing again...

$sD

Smash Ace
How would this thing work to find an opponent.
really one who is playing the same game and how can u find an opponent who qualifies for your match standards

ie team battles and items on just stuff like that?

im curious but i would use this thing regardless

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by $sD
How would this thing work to find an opponent.
really one who is playing the same game and how can u find an opponent who qualifies for your match standards

ie team battles and items on just stuff like that?

im curious but i would use this thing regardless
In ControlSim, the way you choose opponents is by entering their IP address on the GameCube before you boot the game. Obviously, this is not very practical, since you will have to enter a new IP address every time you play a new person. In addition, people's IP's change frequently, so even if you played the same person, if you wait a week, you will have to reenter their IP address.

TheDaddy of Team Xlink is talking about using a feature of Klink Kai called External Capture with ControlSim. Basically, with that scheme, you always give ControlSim the IP address of your computer (which should never change), and run Xlink Kai on your computer. Kai will receive ControlSim's traffic, and tunnel it to your opponent's Kai client, which will send the data to your opponent's GameCube. Since Kai has built-in opponent finding, this scheme is much more user-friendly than just entering IP addresses into ControlSim, and it allows all of Kai's features like voice chat to be used. The only downside is that you need to have a computer running Kai for you to be able to play online with ControlSim.

Obviously this is a lot more complicated than just entering the IP addresses into ControlSim, and as such you can expect that it will be some time after ControlSim is released before you can use Kai with it.

ArcFox

Smash Rookie
wow

This all sounds incredible. I was just thinking today how fun it would be to own noobs online, and to get ownd by the pro's online! i think everybody in the smash community would find themselves getting much much better if internet play was possible. If this all works, i can't wait for it. =D

Tenken

Smash Rookie
If this works it will be so great! I'll probably be smashing so long as there's someone to smash with. My parents don't want me going to other people's houses for tournaments, so I'd finally be able to smash more than the.... maybe 10 people I play now.

Neophos

Smash Ace
AFAIK, Quetzalcoatl is the only smasher who still has a modem.
*points to Helios*

*points to Ek*

*points to the rest of the smashers there*

What you say?

Sure, most people that haev broadband/ADSL/haXXor connection/whatever expects others to have it. Truth is, most people actually doesn't want/needs a internet connection, thus, never bothers with anything better then 56k.

Anyway, kudos tothe maker, but I guess it will take half a year or something to get this to work.

and I bet you that items will pwn it. And turnips. And hammer. And any random thing.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
What about version differences? I wonder how playing NTSC vs. PAL would work... Take a Sheik ditto for instance. Perhaps the NTSC players can chain grab, while the PAL players cannot? Talk about fair play. Maybe the game will glitch when you try to play vs. another version? I don't know really.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Neo - Ek has got broadband...

Anyway, I guess people must agree on which version of the game is going to be played before they start the game. I mean, the differences between 1.0 and 1.2 would mess things up.

MLRS

Banned via Administration
How would lag be handled, like, would you make it so everything you see the opponent doing happens a few frames slower, so where you see your opponent isn't actually where he is, or would it be that any controls you input for your character would happen a few frames later?

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by MLRS
How would lag be handled, like, would you make it so everything you see the opponent doing happens a few frames slower, so where you see your opponent isn't actually where he is, or would it be that any controls you input for your character would happen a few frames later?
Each player will not lag at all on their own GameCube. Your opponents will "jump" slightly if there is lag. ControlSim syncs both controller data and game-state information (e.g. what items someone has, their XY coordinates, etc.), so if (for example) your ping latency with your opponent is 100ms (1/10 of a second), your opponent's controller data will be updated 10 times per second, and so will the game-state data. Obviously if the ping latency is very high (say 1 second), then your opponent would be updated once per second, which would make it pretty much unplayable. Luckily, most people on broadband have much lower pings to most people, even people on other continents.

Lag shouldn't be a big deal in most cases, and it will be MUCH better than the GameCube LAN games (Kirby Air Ride, Mario Kart, and 1080 Avalanche) perform when being tunneled with Warp Pipe and Xlink Kai.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
I say this shouldn't have been opened with this title unless it is 100% playable right now...otherwise it should have been "ControlSim is finished, and you can -soon- play any GC game online." When it's really done so I can hook it up and play, let me know then. Until then don't get my hopes up. It makes me sad =/

$sD

Smash Ace
So After this thing is really up and going for everyone to use do we have to buy it or can i just plug my cable into my cube.

And can u do it with ps2 games that cant go online?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
out of curiousity, what would the actual hardware/software for this?

would it be like a disc or something, or a file we would download and then attach the computer to the cube via some cable?

about them version differences. are you saying the games would be sychronized?

or will it behave as if one cube is the host and the controllers are run from one game? then versions would not be a problem?

what i'm seeing here suggests that the games are synchronized and in basic terms the two cubes behave as if they were only one cube. but then wouldn't the games have to be turned on at the same time because of sounds and so forth?

the only way i'm seeing this wok is if the people are hosted off of one cube.

meleemarth

Smash Ace
i dont know everyone thought the Gscars program was going to but in the end nope. so i dont know about this either, and plus its prbly a hassle just to get it going

Belmont

Smash Apprentice
This wouldn't work for different versions of the game right? Wouldn't the games get dysynced or something. Like a version 0 vs version 1 or 2. Or what about PAL vs NTSC vs JPN?

Neophos, I would really want to play you! :D

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by $sD
So After this thing is really up and going for everyone to use do we have to buy it or can i just plug my cable into my cube.

And can u do it with ps2 games that cant go online?
Nothing to buy, except for a broadband adapter (if you don't already have it) and a method of loading DOLs (GameCube Executable Files) if you don't already have one. If you want more info on that, Google "PSOLoad", "SDLoad", "Max Drive Pro", or "Viper Modchip".

And no, it will not work with PS2 games, because you can't run DOL files on a PS2.

Originally posted by ChRed2AKrisp
out of curiousity, what would the actual hardware/software for this?

would it be like a disc or something, or a file we would download and then attach the computer to the cube via some cable?

about them version differences. are you saying the games would be sychronized?

or will it behave as if one cube is the host and the controllers are run from one game? then versions would not be a problem?

what i'm seeing here suggests that the games are synchronized and in basic terms the two cubes behave as if they were only one cube. but then wouldn't the games have to be turned on at the same time because of sounds and so forth?

the only way i'm seeing this wok is if the people are hosted off of one cube.
Any method of loading a DOL onto a GameCube should work with ControlSim. For example, with the Max Drive Pro, you plug the Max Drive Pro into your computer's USB port, and place the ControlSim file onto it (Windows will recognize it as a USB storage device). You then plug the Max Drive Pro into your GameCube's memory card slot, and put the Max Drive Pro boot disc into your GameCube. You then select the ControlSim file on the GameCube and ControlSim runs.

Different versions might somewhat work. Obviously they have different addresses for the game-state data, so ControlSim would have to choose the address to sync based on the version. That in itself wouldn't be too hard. The gameplay differences might be a bigger problem. Here's what I think would happen (the reality might be different, I haven't asked Fuzziqer). In theory (if the game-state adddresses are extensive enough), when playing with different versions, one of the versions' version of what happened would "replace" the other version when the game-state data is synced. The end result is that the game may act as a "mix" of the versions. Since the differences are so small, this probably wouldn't be too big a deal. And if you don't like that, don't play with people with different versions.

PAL vs USA vs JPN, I guess would work as long as the refresh rate is the same, i.e. 50Hz can only play 50Hz, and 60Hz can only play 60Hz. So if you're PAL, and you want to play someone with NTSC, you need to be in PAL60 and have a TV that supports 60Hz. Again, this is just my guess, I haven't checked with Fuzziqer about it.

Loki56

Smash Cadet
off topic but... am i the only one that thinks LINK_IS_TEH_ROX is gonna go from a Smash n00b to a banned n00b?

Lu'

Smash Cadet
ssbm online

Xlink kai.

How will the tiers change since more people will be playing, and more competition will be available.

Luigi>Doc>Mario

recovery and all.

Luigi is just better than mario and doc.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Lu', the betting tables are in the New MBR Tier List thread.

Anyway, these guys who have orchestrated this really seem to know their technical stuff. Can I ask them (or 'you' if 'they' are reading) what sort of knowledge you guys needed to know in order to plan it out? The technical knowledge behind this intrigues me :******:

DarkShark

Smash Apprentice
do you have to order a SD card adapter for you gc online or should normal computer/game stores have them?

The_Great_Demon

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Meteor!
Slightest lag=ruined game.

Forget it.

And I'm pretty sure this breaks at least one law.
lol sry i just tought the law thing was funy

if this works, will there be like ranks so ppl cant play other ppl such as a noob couldnt play somone such as Darkrain or Isai (sry if i mispelled)

vidjogamer

Smash Master
Originally posted by The_Great_Demon

if this works, will there be like ranks so ppl cant play other ppl such as a noob couldnt play somone such as Darkrain or Isai (sry if i mispelled)
no. you will talk to whoever you want to play, then start a match with them...

and you associate darkrain in terms of skill with isai??!?!?!?!?!!

did he like.. improve drastically over the last 3 months or something?

Top Bottom