• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ControlSim is finished! Now you can play any GC game online!

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by bill7907
biolizard,

I tried using command prompt to reach the PSOload application but unfortunetly it didn't work out for me.

I kept changing directories with "cd".Then when i got into the right directory,i used the command "start" to load the application.
I cannot tell you it didn't work because it looks like i did it well since the PSOload application oppened but it closes immediatly.
I have no idea why.I don't even have the time to see what's in the application...

Looks like command prompt is not working on my comp.Do you have another alternative to open the PSOload application?

Oh and by the way when is Control Sim supposed to be ready?
C'mon i wanna play Smash Online :D
I'm not sure what you mean by the "start" command. Did you follow the instructions I linked to in a previous post?

Here is a status update from Fuzziqer's site:
Diffuse and I were testing earlier today. It turns out that I fixed ARP properly, so now we can get to the Waiting For Players screen, but I couldn't get past there because of either (a) another tunneling problem (which I highly doubt), or (b) something Windows does when ICS is enabled (my Cube's traffic goes through my PC). Oh well - off to either (a) research registry hacks, (b) write a simple echo app, or (c) study the way ICS works.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Re: ok

Originally posted by Xenon Oxide
what if your not able to get PSO? I don't have any money!
The only PSO-free method is SDLoad. Unfortunately, if you don't have some of the required hardwae already, it's even more expensive than PSOLoad.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Re: can you get pheonix to download .dol files

Originally posted by Xenon Oxide
instead of iso image files?
Yeah, on the Loaders tab, there is a menu that lets you choose what file type to load. Select the "load a DOL or BIN file" option.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Ok i started to use Phoenix,i did what you said about selecting the "load a DOL or BIN file" option.What to do after?

I noticed after on one of the tabs that there was a test that would let us check if the Gamecube's ip is correct and if your computer ip is correct too.I mean they can't be different if they're both connected to the same router,am I wrong?

But i don't understand why it will be a different procedure in order to play another game online?If for example you don't wanna play Phantasy Star on the internet,don't you just have to change the disc inside the Gamecube?

So everything is alright,i loaded the DOL from Phantasy Star,then instead of leaving the game,i take it out and i put Smash Melee for example?

Thanks for the help
Your computer and GameCube will have different private IP addresses.

After you load the ControlSim DOL, it will prompt you to select game, enter your opponents' IP addressed, etc., and it will then prompt you to swap in the disc that you want to play online. I am not clear on the specifics because ControlSim has not been released yet.

Xenon Oxide

Smash Rookie
Boilizard?

The GC has a IP address is there some way other than SDload,PSO or Viper to upload to that IP.

Not everyone can Buy all that stuff. I am locked out of my favorite game it seems.

Is there a way to upload to that IP using other ways?

Is there some way of taking out the LAN code in PSO to make this cheaper?

Why can't you just Upload code to the GC using PC programs?

Can Action Replay trick the GC into thinking LAN is between the GC and a PC instead of between 2 GCs.Then just upload a .dol file.

Who does the GC know another GC is on its LAN?(IP address?).

There has to be another way

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
Actually Lu' created this topic. He's also created this one.

Fortunately biolizard showed up and clarified the hizzy. Or maybe unfortunately, since it won't be usable with SSBM anytime soon, and if this topic had died, nobody would be confused over the falsity in the topic title. But such is life...

Xenon Oxide

Smash Rookie
PROBABLY 2 TO 3 MONTHS

and if you have a Sonic Adventure 2 Battle then that will come first.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I have a great feeling that all the people that ***** about lag should just stop whining and WAIT till this is released before you judge it.

Judo_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
sorry just ranting dont bother reading it its prolly all been said before

i cant wait for nintendos revoloution. rumored free online play? smash bros online? i see that doing mega for nintendo's sales alone. kinda like ninentendo's halo. i see smash online bring many ppl to nintendo and doing so much for the smash community. i see my self on a skill rank of 7 of 10. i play good but i know if i were to get to play against and with the ppl from other areas i can see my self upgrading to 9. i dont ever think i can see myself reaching 10 but many ppl playing different styles would have to make some one better.

Xenon Oxide

Smash Rookie
very.....

no ControlSim will have little or no lag. Why? because if you have broadband your ping isn't going to be that big.Oh and Xlink Kai(ControlSim is going to be designed to work with) has a minimum 1Mbps requirement.

Fasting

Banned via Administration
someone earlier in this thread was talking about how difficult it would be to get this thing workin on the gamecube, implying that youd need a modchip and all that jazz to get it working.

i give you this http://www.gcdev.com/

the latest update on jan1 2005, is a post about using an sd card to boot code to the GC. i believe this means, no need for a modchip. 1 problem solved,

next, lag.

with lag your never going to eliminate it completely. but if you look at games like cs or any other online shooter, these games require split second reactions, just like smash, and sure people ***** about lag, but they continue to play the game, because the lag isnt a big enough factor to deter form the experiance.
the lag with ssbm may be problematic at first but either the system of creating the connection will be advanced, or the players will adapt.

theres no reason to be so pessimistic you ****in emo's, go slit your wrists or something.

vertical cuts people, not across the wrist, down the vein. we dont want any ******* around here.

Joel80

Smash Rookie
Hi, Im but a Lone Traveler wondering the net. I happened to ease drop on your lil discussion here. Play SSMBM ONLINE! you have my attention now.. i have a GC, pro action replay, Lan adpator and Broad Ban.. do i need anything else to make this sucker work? Can i even have it work for smash bros yet? im sure its old news or something.. but if some one whould be kind enough to bring an outsider up to speed. That whould be Awsome! I am a Large fan of this game and have wet dreams at night about playing online... if it can be done I will do anything I can to make this happen... No one plays me in this game anymore were im at :(

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Fasting
someone earlier in this thread was talking about how difficult it would be to get this thing workin on the gamecube, implying that youd need a modchip and all that jazz to get it working.

i give you this http://www.gcdev.com/

the latest update on jan1 2005, is a post about using an sd card to boot code to the GC. i believe this means, no need for a modchip. 1 problem solved,

next, lag.

with lag your never going to eliminate it completely. but if you look at games like cs or any other online shooter, these games require split second reactions, just like smash, and sure people ***** about lag, but they continue to play the game, because the lag isnt a big enough factor to deter form the experiance.
the lag with ssbm may be problematic at first but either the system of creating the connection will be advanced, or the players will adapt.

theres no reason to be so pessimistic you ****in emo's, go slit your wrists or something.

vertical cuts people, not across the wrist, down the vein. we dont want any ******* around here.
I don't think anyone implied that a modchip was required . . . sure, I said that a Viper was one way to load a DOL, but I also mentioned PSOLoad and SDLoad, which don't require a modchip.

I think you're right about lag, it will be there in varying amounts depending on network latency, but unless you're playing someone overseas or on dial-up, the lag shouldn't be too big of an issue. Some people will be bothered by playing someone overseas, some won't. But I don't think it will be bothersome enough to keep people from playing. In short, I agree with you about that.

By the way, to anyone that's asking questions, please read the whole thread all the way through before asking questions like "so exactly what do I need to get this working?" Many of those questions have already been answered, and no one wants to repeat themself. If you have a question that has not been answered, or want a clarification, feel free to ask, but please don't ask general questions that people have already answered.

And if you have questions about setting up to load DOL files, I recommend you ask those questions at gcdev.com or xtremeconsole.com. Please note, the GCDev people do not like people asking about GCM/ISOs or other stuff related to copying games. This is not necessary to use ControlSim so you shouldn't need to ask about that at all, but if you do, ask on XtremeConsole.

KaLIbeR

Smash Apprentice
you know dude thats pretty kool
now i havent read any of the rest of the replies
so im just goin off of what i saw on the thread

its because of the nerd we have our fun:)

Jerry Rufus

Smash Rookie
he's finished it

now he is just putting the finishing touches on it.(server tournement support in Xlink so you can play people in europe, australia,china,japan,US, Korea, and the world.)

You don't have to get a SD card or PSO. Just upload ControlSim on a Nintendo official memory card with Ctr-GCS or Netcat and boot with Pro Action Replay.

a detailed explaination at...

http://forums.maxconsole.com/showthread.php?threadid=4095

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Re: he's finished it

Originally posted by Je(rry Rufus
now he is just putting the finishing touches on it.(server tournement support in Xlink so you can play people in europe, australia,china,japan,US, Korea, and the world.)

You don't have to get a SD card or PSO. Just upload ControlSim on a Nintendo official memory card with Ctr-GCS or Netcat and boot with Pro Action Replay.

a detailed explaination at...

http://forums.maxconsole.com/showthread.php?threadid=4095
First, you linked to GCOS, not a memcard loader.

Second, the only way to get a DOL onto an official memory card is to run a DOL file on the GameCube (CTR-GCS) first. So you will at least have to rent PSO.

Krazy

Smash Journeyman
<--- Too lazy to read all 3 pages. Can we have an estimate as to how long untill it's up or a percentage on the progress meter? BTW is there any way to do this without having to buy anything more than the broadband adapter that I bought 11 months agao and still have yet to use?

Nax

BRoomer
BRoomer
As far as I can tell, all his program would do is relay control signals between GCs. Which is cool, granted, but not nearly enough.

Lag will become a major factor and the gamestates will degenerate into nothingness, since it's game inspecific and there's no way to sync or re-sync the cubes up. Even if the game versions were identical (and the unlockables were identical), small lags will completely change the state on different cubes (I hit first on mine, you hit first on yours, and now our characters are in different places on two different cubes).

Besides all that, what about random events like items and other stage interactions? Even if you could sync up the random number generators, small discrepancies in the gameplay (almost every move in SSBM has a small random component to it, and whether or not it connects determines whether the RNG gets used and reseeded) completely screw it up.

It's why netcode is so much more complex than just relaying control inputs. It's almost like robotics.

If ControlSim is, in fact, much more than just a controler input relay that has very deep interactions with different game files, then my appologies and my hats off to you.

DeSaM]U[Rai

Smash Cadet
emm ok great its ready, can someone write a full detailed explanation about what i need to buy\download\do to play ssbm online, plz?

Nax

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ask him about the issues I raised about desync. At 15, he probably hasn't taken any proper CS courses, and reference manuals never talk about proper theory.

FuzziqerSoftware

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by Nax
Ask him about the issues I raised about desync. At 15, he probably hasn't taken any proper CS courses, and reference manuals never talk about proper theory.
I haven't taken any courses at all. I've never taken a low-level computers class (only things like Photoshop, Flash, etc.), and I haven't looked at a programming book for quite a while now.

I can assure you that this doesn't desync IF you're using the proper script. The first test on Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was done using a very minimal script and it remained synced until we disconnected from each other. Super Smash Bros. Melee will probably not work extremely well anyway (because of the usual latency over the Internet), but it will stay in relatively good sync as long as each player has a good script.

The scripts are for sending additional data like player locations, damage percents, number of lives, items onscreen, etc. Random things like items can be fixed by using a script on Player 1's GameCube that sends item data. This will disable items showing up on other player's GameCubes unless they appear on Player 1's.

I hope I answered a few questions.

Nax

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hm, I didn't know you could directly modify game state without changing the actual source code of SSBM. This could work.

The ultimate test, of course, will be to network two gamecubes in the same room and try to force desyncs. If it can last 5 minutes though, that may be good enough for tournaments.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone tried playing Super Smash Brothers online with Kaillera?

I don't think it could be better then that.So it's going to be worse or equal to that.
I think ControlSim would be better than Kaillera. I'm not sure, but I think Kaillera deliberately lags local players as much as remote players to keep sync. Obviously ControlSim doesn't do that.

Top Bottom