• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ControlSim is finished! Now you can play any GC game online!

FuzziqerSoftware

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by Smashbros
Enough mumbo jumbo talk, does it work in practice ?
Yes. It was tested over the Internet a few days ago. We played several Sonic Adventure 2 games, and they remained synchronized until we disconnected from each other. It worked very well, considering that my opponent was 3,000 miles away, and I had a 56k modem. There was barely any skipping at all.

Zarelid

Smash Lord
god **** if this thing doesn't work then why talk about it? the programs not finished obviously. so until it starts working I see no reason to further discuss this. is it working yes or no?

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Can we sticky a topic that specifies the requirements for setting this up? This is a hell of a lot more important than to be discussed in a moving thread with 4 pages. I don't even see the mod support here.

Jerry Rufus

Smash Rookie
yeah

its does work. It just only works for games that are supported. SSBM support will come after this game.

Jaguarandine

Smash Journeyman
What kind of ping times should we be expecting? If there's no way to test this accurately, what's the best guess? For a game like smash, I think anything over 400ms is unplayable.

To me it looks like everything else might be able to be ironed out somewhat, leaving this as the issue that would make or break this idea. Actually, this would save the creator a lot of time. It's not worth pursuing if the ping is too high.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Jaguarandine
What kind of ping times should we be expecting? If there's no way to test this accurately, what's the best guess? For a game like smash, I think anything over 400ms is unplayable.

To me it looks like everything else might be able to be ironed out somewhat, leaving this as the issue that would make or break this idea. Actually, this would save the creator a lot of time. It's not worth pursuing if the ping is too high.
Your ping latency to a given person is constant regardless of which Internet program you're using. To find your ping to someone, type "ping 123.456.78.9" at the command line where 123.456.78.9 is their IP address. If they don't respond, type "tracert 123.456.78.9" and look for the ping for the last address that responded. That should be a good estimate. To find your IP address, visit whatismyip.com.

In general, you will get better pings if you're on broadband, if you're playing someone geographically close, or if you're playing someone on the same ISP. But that shouldn't be necessary, since when I pinged a site in Japan, I got 166ms. So I think in general your requirement of 400ms will be met.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by bill7907
166 ms for a game like smash is waaay too much

if you want to play without any noticeable lag,you will need a ping that wouldn't exceed 40 ms.
I think that's a little pessimistic. I think 100ms (10 updates per second) would be very playable, if not spectacular. And my ping to a site in the same country is around 43ms.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by bill7907
biolizard,do you have high speed internet?

And did Fuzziqer start messing with Smash Melee yet?
Yes, I have high speed Internet; specifically SBC DSL.

And AFAIK Fuzziqer has not started with SSBM yet.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Note: Regarding latency, I have noticed that my computer gets well over 100ms ping but does not exceed 300 when on Starcraft (game for PC, yeah) while I have several downloads and / or uploads. I know that these two processes are on the same actual CPU / machine, but I still thought that it would affect your Internet speed as long as they do still share the same router and such.

So would it affect other machines on a LAN connecting out to the Internet? Furthermore, would I have to turn off these downloads / uploads to get good ping?

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Ruler_of_Melee
Note: Regarding latency, I have noticed that my computer gets well over 100ms ping but does not exceed 300 when on Starcraft (game for PC, yeah) while I have several downloads and / or uploads. I know that these two processes are on the same actual CPU / machine, but I still thought that it would affect your Internet speed as long as they do still share the same router and such.

So would it affect other machines on a LAN connecting out to the Internet? Furthermore, would I have to turn off these downloads / uploads to get good ping?
Lots of traffic does increase your ping. My ping to yahoo.com is normally 43ms, but when I was running a DSLReports Speed Test (which maxes out your bandwidth) the ping jumped quite sharply to 601ms. Obviously, normal Internet use doesn't increase your traffic nearly that much, so the effects will be a lot smaller than this, but yes, if you want the minimum possible lag, you should try to ensure that there will not be a lot of traffic on your LAN (disable file sharing, ask people not to browse the Net, etc.).

Seraph

Smash Journeyman
Yeah same thing has happened to me I was playing some game and my ping was 33ms and then I went to patch another game and it went up by like 300ms..Brutal lag x_x..

FuzziqerSoftware

Smash Rookie
If the hacker knows what he/she is doing, it could take as short as a few hours. If the hacker is lazy or doesn't have much time every day (like me), it could take a while.

Hammer Bro.

Smash Rookie
Hey Fuzziqer, I'm wondering something... I read elsewhere (forget where it popped up, but I think biolizard posted it) that it'd be theoretically possible to get a 30 player F-Zero GX match goin' if all of the addresses for the CPU players were found. That'd be kinda neat, although rather difficult to pull off. But would that imply that it's also possible to get 6 player SSBM goin', since on certain matches (Like Mario 128 or against the polygon team) you fight 5 opponents?

I had another question about things that could happen because of temporarily lag-desynched players, but I'll wait until I'm able to actually test it out to see if it's worth asking. Keep up the good work, though.

Hammer Bro.

Smash Rookie
WarpPipe only works with LAN enabled GC games... And there's like four of 'em. All the synchronization is done by the games themselves, and the LAN enabled games were intended to be played over a LAN, which has no trouble attaining pings less than 40ms, so I'm sure that having a ping many times higher than what the game was designed for messes up whatever internal synching the game does.

FuzziqerSoftware

Smash Rookie
It will be possible to have 30 player F-Zero GX matches..... if each player has a LOT of receive bandwidth. Receiving 300 packets per second might actually slow down the game, though, because of the time it takes for CS to read the BBA's receive buffers.

Six player SSBM will probably work much better. It'll require a server for the game to run (since CS only supports 4 players in P2P games).

Here's the deal with lag and ping times: LAN-enabled GameCube games sync data every single frame, and won't complete the frame until they're done syncing. That's why Internet games slow down; it takes longer to sync and the game has to wait. CS is different; it doesn't wait, it uses the most recently received data. So your game will never slow down with CS, but players might appear to "jump" into position sometimes.

FuzziqerSoftware

Smash Rookie
1. There is no frame skipping. The game will run at full speed, and whenever any GameCube begins to go out of sync, CS will correct it based on the scripts.
2. I have no idea how well SSBM will work over CS.
3. I haven't started work on Super Smash Bros. Melee. I'm currently in the process of picking apart LibOGC to add save support to the GUI, so it will have to wait.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Just think of first person shooters, people teleport during lag in those, but the framerate on your end doesn't change.

Hammer Bro.

Smash Rookie
I don't have the technical terminology that might help explain things, nor do I know anything concrete about ControlSim, but I think I know what he's talking about (having created a very loosely SSB-esque online multiplayer game that Sonic Battle bears a surprising resemblance to). Here goes...

The GCs are constantly trying to send the player information data to each other. Position, momentum, controller state, and stuff like that. The LAN games will wait until this data is received before the game goes to the next frame, so if the data takes a while to send the game will experience slowdown. ControlSim sends this data as fast as possible, but doesn't slow the game down if it hasn't arrived yet. It instead assumes the controller state hasn't changed since the last time it received the player info, and lets Player A's Gamecube determine Player B's position normally. A lot of times, this won't even be noticeable, because we (or at least I) tend to hold the same direction if I get sent flying sideways or am trying to close distance quickly. But there will be some instances where Player B's position on Player A's Gamecube is different than Player B's position in Player B's Gamecube. This shouldn't be too much of a problem most of the time, since as soon as Player A's GC receives the next batch of player info then Player B's position will be corrected, although this may create the appearance of short-range teleporting on higher-ping connections.

There is one type of situation that this lag might cause problems in SSBM, though, but the more I think about it the less I believe it will be a problem, so we'll just wait and see.

Joel80

Smash Rookie
I dunno.. thats what i was asking... but no one seems to be answering.. guess we should just wait for the Revolution to come out..

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Joel80
I dunno.. thats what i was asking... but no one seems to be answering.. guess we should just wait for the Revolution to come out..
If you had read Fuzziqer's site, you would know that he has successfully tested Sonic Adventure 2: Battle online with ControlSim and is currently in the process of making it support memory cards. SSBM support will be worked on after he releases a beta supporting SA2:B.

JoshCube

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hopefully SSB3 will be online.

But I will check back here just to see if this program actualy works. Its sort of confusing, I dont really understand it still.

Joel80

Smash Rookie
OK.. can some one explain how to us this Fuzziquer controlsim.. in terms a noob like myself can understand? There are things i don't understand. Like how i get the code on my AR in the first place.. do i have to type it in my self? or is there a new kind with a serial cable for it. etc etc. Asuming i get this to work. how do i find other people to play? were do you guy meet at? also Were do you guys meet up for F-Zero Gx Games? or can you even play GX yet online? i got a nasty Custom :D PLEASE PLUG ME IN THE LOOP my email is :

xxxMelkorxxx@Gmail.com
Joel Houston,Tx

I wonder if we can get that stuff to work on the revolution when it releases. It's Backwards compatiable, and Wifi lans whould be nice.

At any rate ill be on the track and in the Garage perfecting my custom till i can shred you fools online :p

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Joel80
OK.. can some one explain how to us this Fuzziquer controlsim.. in terms a noob like myself can understand? There are things i don't understand. Like how i get the code on my AR in the first place.. do i have to type it in my self? or is there a new kind with a serial cable for it. etc etc. Asuming i get this to work. how do i find other people to play? were do you guy meet at? also Were do you guys meet up for F-Zero Gx Games? or can you even play GX yet online? i got a nasty Custom :D PLEASE PLUG ME IN THE LOOP my email is :

xxxMelkorxxx@Gmail.com
Joel Houston,Tx

I wonder if we can get that stuff to work on the revolution when it releases. It's Backwards compatiable, and Wifi lans whould be nice.

At any rate ill be on the track and in the Garage perfecting my custom till i can shred you fools online :p
I'm not sure which AR code you're referring to. If you're talking about the code to use SDLoad, I'm not sure, but I think you enter it yourself. The code for the Samson Memcard Loader, however, is automatically added by the setup DOL.

I think you will find people to play with Xlink Kai. ControlSim doesn't support it at the moment, but it should by the time it's released.

F-Zero GX is not supported right now. Support should be added some time after SSBM support is added.

By the way, can someone (maybe a mod) change the thread name? Because ControlSim is not released at the moment and the thread name seems to be confusing people.

Top Bottom