• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ControlSim is finished! Now you can play any GC game online!

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Meteor!
Slightest lag=ruined game.

Forget it.

And I'm pretty sure this breaks at least one law.
wtf, how does ControlSim break a law? it certainly doesn't contain any of Nintendo's copyrighted code.

skatiN64

Smash Cadet
I know this couldn't at all be used as a replacement for tournements or anything, but
ruined game > not playing
lag against real people > cpu

plus there is still a lot to be learned aside from things that lag can mess up.

IMO

Lu'

Smash Cadet
hahahhahahahahahah!

or you didn't decrypt an copyrighten code or copyed it=completely legal

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
PAL and NTSC discs are region locked to hell and will be treated as different games by the GCN. You can't use them to link up. The same will most likely apply for the different NTSC versions, although I'm not sure about Japan/USA.

D

Deleted member

I've been talking to my friends in Germany, apparently they have 3 NTSC versions to every one PAL version. So I'm guessing NTSC isn't as difficult to obtain as many would think.

Just saying, might want to allocate play to the NTSC version if this is true.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Fuzziqer is now looking for beta testers for GCARS-CS. It currently supports Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, and has been successfully tested over a LAN, but not the Internet so far. If you have SA2:B, are familiar with GameCube homebrew, and want to test, contact him on MSN Messenger: mjem(at)pacific(dot)net . If you aren't familiar with GameCube homebrew or you don't have SA2:B, please don't bother him; SSBM support will be coming, but after it works with SA2:B.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Ryoko, I think you are wrong about the different versions since you can load the same data from your mem pak to any of the 3 US versions.

Biolizard, would it be possible to give an estimate on when it would be available to SSBM? Also, I have PSO and a broadband connector and I connect my cube thru my computer to copy iso's and do other stuff. Is that what the PSOload thing is or is it something else?

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by the_suicide_fox
Ryoko, I think you are wrong about the different versions since you can load the same data from your mem pak to any of the 3 US versions.

Biolizard, would it be possible to give an estimate on when it would be available to SSBM? Also, I have PSO and a broadband connector and I connect my cube thru my computer to copy iso's and do other stuff. Is that what the PSOload thing is or is it something else?
I don't know when SSBM support will be finished. All Fuzziqer said was "SA2B will be initially supported, SSBM will probably come soon after."

If you can copy ISO's, then you're already set up to load DOL's. Are you familiar with the Phoenix or QUBiSM Remote Loading Server programs? They can both load DOL's. If you're not, then you can download them from xtremeconsole.com.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Even if the mem card saves are cross-compatible, it doesn't outright mean you can use two different versions of the game in a single ControlSim setup. There are different factors in the game versions that will mess up synch (like that Zelda smash thing I keep *****ing about). It would be like trying to play an MMO without the latest patches. I'm not saying you can't do it, but if you have to use multiple copies of the game, and they are different version, something's probably going to be messed.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
ryoko has a point, imagine if your opponent froze you with the IC glitch but only on their version you froze? they will be like yay im winning while your trying to figure out why they just stand in the same spot fsmashing. bowser flame cancel will definetly desynce the games badly if theyre not the same version.

Godamus

Smash Ace
Forgive me for still being somewhat skeptical, but has anyone seen him put a not network intended gamecube game online yet? Even with all the bugs, but at least a proof of our hopes?

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Godamus
Forgive me for still being somewhat skeptical, but has anyone seen him put a not network intended gamecube game online yet? Even with all the bugs, but at least a proof of our hopes?
Sappharad's GC_Online_Tunnel program has already made Sonic Adventure 2: Battle online. Unfortunately, it has a bug which can corrupt memory cards if you're not careful, but it has been successfully tested online. You can find it on the gcdev.com forums; I don't have a link, but it's in a thread about ControlSim.

Note that I do not recommend using it because of the memory card bug.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Special K 554
So just buy a separate memory card for playing SSBM online.
GC_Online_Tunnel doesn't work for SSBM, only SA2:B. The problem is that GC_Online_Tunnel only syncs 4 32-bit RAM addresses. For SA2:B, this is fine, because you don't need any more than the controller data plus the X, Y, and Z coordinates of the player. If you tried to use it with SSBM (even if you had four good addresses) you would quickly lose sync due to random factors and network latency. ControlSim supports many more addresses (I think more than 60, not sure though) and so can be more easily extended to work with complex games like SSBM.

In other news, here's a status update from Fuzziqer's site yesterday:
Happy Easter, everyone!
ControlSim seems to have problems online..... it involves ARPs and tunneling. I'll fix it when I get beck from Mexico (which is where I'm going for 5 or 6 days; I'm leaving tomorrow). So don't expect any updates until around Saturday.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by bill7907
omg i can't believe that??

Super smash online!!!??I heard about the WarpPipe project about letting people play "LAN" capable games.But with this project it looks like it can modify even non-capable LAN games such as Super Smash Brothers.

But the requirement for this stunt isn't very clear yet,we'll probably have more information once the project is done and fully working with no lag.

Very very interesting!I can't believe playing against people around the world(or at least "50HZ compatible players").

Will we be able to play more than 2 people?Or it will have to be strictly one-on-one?
I am not Fuzziqer, and therefore you shouldn't take this post as gospel, but I am pretty sure four players will be supported. There is a way to allow more people to play (for games that allow more than four players including CPU players), but Fuzziqer doesn't want to mess with that until he deals with higher priorities (like making it work at all!).

Here's another status update from two days ago:
Well, it's Friday and I'm back from Mexico. It was a fun trip, even though it wasn't supposed to be fun (we were building a house).
Anyway..... I think I know what the problem with ControlSim was. It was just a stupid mistake, and I'll fix it today in about ten seconds. I hope that's the only problem, so we can test and release this program.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
biolizard89,

Thanks for your input.I was reading on your friend's site that he was celebrating his 15th birthday.I mean your friend has to be a genius to program that kinda stuff at that age all by himself.

Now for the requirements,can you give us a glimpse of what we will need on order to play Super Smash Melee for example?

Let me describe you my case.
I currently have high speed at home.I have 2 computers and a router(not wireless by the way).

So if I understand well,i will first need to buy a broadband adapter for my Gamecube.
Then i will have to buy a "RJ45" cable to link my Gamecube broadband adapter to my Router.
But after that i'm lost.
Okay, there are currently two methods of loading a DOL file onto your GameCube.

The first is called PSOLoad. Using this method, you run the game Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 (PSO for short) on your GameCube (It must be 1&2; 1&2 Plus or 3 will NOT work), and a program called PSOLoad (which can be found at gcdev.com) on your PC. The GameCube and PC must be on the same network (you have a router so you're fine). You tell PSO that the computer running PSOLoad is the Sega server, and start an online game in PSO while PSOLoad is running. The game requests to what it thinks is the Sega server for new game code; PSOLoad doesn't send PSO Game code but instead sends a DOL file (GameCube Executable file). The DOL file then starts running on your GameCube. A good guide to setting this up is at http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/gc/psotut.php . Skip the first step (Windows 98 setup); you shouldn't need it as long as your computer's LAN IP address doesn't frequently change, and skip the last step (Installing GCC For GameCube); that's for developers, not end users. If you have any problems with it, ask for help on the GCDev forums.

The other, newer method is called SDLoad. It's faster, because you don't have to wait for PSOLoad to boot, and you don't need to have a computer running to boot DOL files. I have not used this method, so I am not totally clear on how it works. What I do know is that you need an SD Card Adapter for your GameCube (you can buy it at Lik-Sang), an SD Card reader on your computer, an SD Card, and an Action Replay. Basically, you follow the instructions for the SDLoad program (downloadable at gcdev.com), and after doing this, you can just put a DOL file on your SD Card with your computer, and then turn on your GameCube, press A to "Start Game", open and close the DVD disk cover, and choose a DOL file to load.

To boot ControlSim, you just load its DOL file onto your GameCube, enter the IP addresses of your opponents, select the game you want to play, and swap in the disc for the game.

Does that info help?

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
woooooooooohouuuuuuuuuuu
i think you lost me dude,that's a lot of information!

Let's say i take the first alternative with the PSOload.

1.In your explanation you talked about Phantasy Star Online,is this an example you're giving me or it will be the same for super smash brothers?

2.I downloaded the program(PSOload),then i extracted it,but once i open the PSOload application,nothing happens.It automatically closes by itself.

Dude this whole things looks like you have to go to harvard in order to do it the right way.Too hard...
1. If you're using PSOLoad you must use Phantasy Star Online to load the ControlSim DOL file onto your GameCube; after the ControlSim DOL is loaded then you put in the game you want to play online.

2. You must use the command prompt. Google should give you lots of information about using the command prompt. To start you out, on the Start Menu, there will be either "DOS Prompt" or "Command Prompt". You open that, and then navigate to the directory where PSOLoad is by typing (without quotes) "cd x" where x is the directory where PSOLoad is. You can look at the list of directories by typing "dir". To go up a directory, type "cd .." (that's "cd" followed by a space and two dots).

If you don't want to use a command prompt (and I don't blame you), download Phoenix from xtremeconsole.com. It has a graphical interface that is probably more user-friendly than the command prompt. To save the data to the memcard (that's where you type "psoload -s" in the PSOLoad instructions) in Phoenix, click on the Save User Data to Memcard option in Phoenix on the Options tab. To load a DOL file, do that on the Loaders tab. Just make sure that the computer and GameCube IP addresses are correct in the Phoenix Options tab before you use it. For support for Phoenix, ask your questions on the XtremeConsole forums.

(if you're wondering, most of the features in Phoenix don't need to be messed with; they're for ripping and streaming games, which you don't need to do to use ControlSim)

Hope this helps.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Re: biolizard

Originally posted by Xenon Oxide
I don't have pso or sdload is there any other way!
Besides PSOLOad and SDLoad, I think your only option is to get a Viper Modchip, which lets you load DOL files from DVD-R discs. This is not preferable, since it will void your GameCube's warrenty.

Again, here are the options you have that do not require any console mods:

PSOLoad
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 - $20-30 US
Broadband Adapter - $30 US
Ethernet Router or other method of giving the GameCube Internet access - $17 US
Patch/Crossover Ethernet cable (depending on your setup) to connect GameCube to router - $6.50 US for a 50-ft cable
Total: $73.50-$83.50 US

SDLoad
Action Replay - $20 US
GameCube SD Card Adapter - $30 US
PC SD Card Reader - $5 US
SD Card - $13 US for a 128MB card
Broadband Adapter (not necessary for SDLoad in general but required by ControlSim) - $30 US
Ethernet Router or other method of giving the GameCube Internet access - $17 US
Patch/Crossover Ethernet cable (depending on your setup) to connect GameCube to router - $6.50 US for a 50-ft cable
Total: $121.50 US

If you already have some components listed here, take their price off the final price.

I will reply to the other posts here when I have more time, I'm at school right now.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
i still don't understand how all this information is sent from the computer to the Gamecube since they're linked by the router?
You answered your own question. They are linked by the router and can therefore talk to each other.

oh and do you think it will be worth buying a broadband adapter to play the game you want online?since there will be a lot of lag and delay...?
Lag won't be too big of an issue (assuming you have a decent Internet connection, although overseas play will be less fun than playing people near you). The bigger problem (at least initially) will be finding people who have the necessary equipment to run DOL files and therefore use ControlSim.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Xenon Oxide,

i think there's something biolizard89 did not point out,the program to play Phantasy Star Online is called "PSOload" but if you want to play another game online(like super smash brothers)
it won't be called like that i guess.
Maybe it will be "SSBload" then we will have to apply the same procedure.
PSOLoad does not make games online, it lets you load DOL files onto your GameCube. A DOL file can make games online, but PSOLoad itself does no such thing. And PSOLoad requires PSO; it cannot work with SSBM because SSBM doesn't download game patches from the Internet; therefore there is no exploit to use to load DOL files.

Since ControlSim requires a method of loading DOL's, ControlSim will require PSOLoad or SDLoad (or a Max Drive Pro or a Viper Modchip). There is no "SSBLoad"; nor is "SSBLoad" possible for the reason I gave in the preceding paragraph.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Ok great,but you mentioned to get the two episodes,is it because they're sold together in a bundle?

In other words you would only need 1 of them to load the DOL in the Gamecube?

Once i have inserted one of the Phantasy Star Online discs,how will the Gamecube remember that the "DOL" is activated even when the Phantasy Star CD is not in the gamecube?
Both episodes are on the same disc.

The ControlSim DOL (GameCube Executable File) loads itself into RAM and stays there regardless of what disc is in the drive. The reason why GameCube games are not like this is because they are larger than the GameCube's 40MB of RAM and therefore must constantly load data from the DVD.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Re: what about cubeserver?

Originally posted by Xenon Oxide
it does basically the same as PSOloader.
I'm not quite sure what CubeServer is. A quick Google search suggested that it was related to GCM ripping/streaming. ControlSim is not a GCM (GameCube disc image); it's a DOL (GameCube executable file). So you shouldn't need any GCM-related tools to use it. But if CubeServer can load DOL files onto the GameCube, it should work just fine with ControlSim.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
omg!

Now i understand it.
Let me see if i'm right.

There's one file that is absolutly needed in order to play online on the Gamecube.
This file is only located in Phantasy Star Online.
The file is called "DOL".
As soon as you swap in the Phantasy Star Online game,this file will be functional and your Gamecube will remember by itself that the file called "DOL" is running.
Even if you take out the Phantasy Star Online game,the file will still be running.
Then let's say you want to play Super Smash Brothers Melee online,you swap that game into your Gamecube.
Then you go to your computer and you start using
"command prompt".

****!!!If my explanation is right,a lot of people will not do it for the simple reason that it will cost way too much....

Let's review what we need:

1 Nintendo GameCube
1 Controller
1 BroadBand Adapter that you buy on Nintendo's Site
1 Phantasy Star Online(the game itself only needed for the "DOL" file)
1 Router (but still not sure,since there "may" be another way around to do it without using the router).

Am i right???
DOL is just the extension given to GameCube Executables. It's not a filename. Just like EXE is the extension given to Windows Executables.

There is nothing in PSO that makes games online. All PSO does is allow you to execute custom code (DOL's) on the GameCube. The ControlSim DOL does all the online stuff.

All the Command Prompt is used for is operating PSOLoad, which exploits the code-patching feature in PSO to make DOL's run. You by no means are forced to use the Command Prompt. You can also use Phoenix or Qubism Remote Loading Server (http://www.xtremeconsole.com) or any DOL loading method with a GUI (Graphical User Interface).

Top Bottom