• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ControlSim is finished! Now you can play any GC game online!

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
Yes, it works with ssbm. No, it is not "laggy" online. As for the hardware....READ THE THREAD!!

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for not replying for a while, I've been swamped with schoolwork. Yes, there is some ping-dependent lag, as with all online games. When I tested Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, I played with someone who has a ping with me of about 110ms, and there was no noticible lag. Obviously, a fighting game like SSBM will make lag more noticible. I haven't actually tried SSBM for myself (since I don't have it), but according to the people who have tested it, there is some ping-dependent rubber-banding. This is at least in part because the SSBM script doesn't include velocity. Once that is added, the rubber-banding should go away, and be replaced by some minor lag which (according to Fuzziqer) should only be annoying at pings above around 100ms.

So, yeah, there is some lag, but it doesn't ruin the game, and it will get better once velocity is synced.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
biolizard89 said:
So, yeah, there is some lag, but it doesn't ruin the game, and it will get better once velocity is synced.
And this will be when? Also are you going to make it so all versions of the game works soon? so im not forced to buy 1.0?

Alex13

Smash Journeyman
you have my support!! I've never been to a Tournament and I've been waiting to fight some tough opponents! I hope this is finished soon and successfully so I can immediatly get online and test myself against other players. Playing one opponent(Ian)all the time gets boring.

NeoNXToshiro

Smash Journeyman
I've read all over Fuzziqer Software and I still don't understand..

What EXACTLY do I need to actually attempt to play online?

EDIT : Sorry, I was actually looking through the thread as I posted, found the guide. Just need to know when this thing is a GO or NO GO.

REFUSEDx

Smash Apprentice
biolizard89 said:
I would just like to take this opportunity to remind people that while ControlSim will be great, they shouldn't be expecting it to be really easy to set up. For one thing, you will need broadband (dial-up will theoretically work, but lag will likely make it not as fun). You will also need a method of loading a DOL file onto your GameCube. You can do this with PSOLoad, SDLoad, Max Drive Pro, or a Viper modchip. For more info on that, check out http://www.gcdev.com. You will also need a Broadband Adapter (the Modem Adapter will not work).

In addition, ControlSim has only so far been successfully used with Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Fuzziqer/Sharpener (the author) says it shouldn't take too long for him to make it work with SSBM, but SSBM support will come after the initial release.

Also, finding opponents will be a bit tricky at first, although the Xlink Kai people are talking with Fuzziqer about ways to use Kai for finding opponents. Don't expect to be able to use Kai with ControlSim when it's initially released, however.

My point: ControlSim will be really cool, and online SSBM will rock big time, but just know that setup will take a little work, at least initially. That way you won't get disappointed.
Is that one of the things that comes with AR?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Very quick question:

Will the hardware that comes with AR Max Evo fulfill the same function as the MAX Drive Pro? Seeing as how I need to get a AR anyways...

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I need help, and if anyone could offer it, I would be very appreciative. My aim screename is: Ninja Of Heresy

If you help I shall love yew for all eternity :]

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I have used this about 3 months ago, and it was too laggy to play. If we are waiting on velocity scripts, when are they expected to be complete?

Also, an easy, step-by-step guide would be very helpful. This was one of the least user-friendly programs in existence. I'm not going to criticize the author for this as it is freeware, but I'd really like to see some better directions.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Kish, you played a really outdated version. Velocity scripts are in place and now we're just waiting for GCARS v1.0.0 for everything else to be fixed. Horizontal velocity fixed a bunch of stuff, but the vertical velocity ones would make it so that the opponent wouldn't land under certain circumstances and yeah, that wasn't a good thing.

For help, go to psychoticworm's guide to smash online and check out Fuzziqer's site and forums.

KishPrime

BRoomer
So from what I understand from the walkthrough you linked, you no longer have to type in all the codes?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
No, there's a way to do it that lets you transfer save files from your computer to your memory card using the same PSO method but a different boot file. Unfortunately, if you thought GCARS wasn't user friendly, then you would not like ctr-gcs, which has nothing on screen but two lines of text including the misleading "Not Connected" which makes you think that it's not working when it's really just not active. The readme has nothing useful but a list of commands.

But yeah, if you have someone to walk you through it, it's very easy to transfer stuff and only takes a minute or so. However, there are a lot of errors that can come up with little reason because of ctr-gcs (mainly because of the location of the file you're trying to upload) and so it can be a little frustrating if you don't know how to work comps.

But yeah, if that method doesn't work, then typing in codes is the only other option. The problem that presents itself there is that because progress has essentially stopped until Fuzzi finishes and releases v1.0.0, the codelists that are typed up and findable are adjusted to preference. So one version might have no rubber banding whatsoever but the not landing problem and a weird warping glitch on platformed levels, and the one that fixes most problems still has rubber banding due to the inability to have conditional codes. And then on top of that, the best current version is an amalgamation of those and hard to find.

Once progress is made (With the release of GCARS v1.0.0) I'll be making a big guide to using it with the PSO method and have a bunch of resources for questions and a listing of all the different codes and stuff that you'll need.

Not sure why I typed all that out instead of a more simple answer, but I'm very bored right now.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Alas. If it works itself out to be lag-free, I'll probably try it again, but it just took sooooo long for the codes and then was virtually unplayable, I shelved it and haven't touched it since.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
This is cool.If I get enough money and I have the time(and willpower)im sooooo doing this.Smash online YAHUZZZZ!

Shinku

Smash Champion
this is great but, i hope people dont use cheats like infinite samus blast or super fast ganon punch etc. seeming how this whole thing is kinda hacked wise, there gonna come with hacks. however, id kill to be up til 5 am and play the pros like Ken, without leaving the comfort of my own home. and if i get *****, ill be the only one who saw it. lol. btw, i challedge all you TA guys if melee was online!!! and HY2l too.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Alas. If it works itself out to be lag-free, I'll probably try it again, but it just took sooooo long for the codes and then was virtually unplayable, I shelved it and haven't touched it since.
I don't see how it can ever be lag free... ssbm is a very precise game and there is always gonna be latency... data has to take time to travel...

online play does sound fun... but the real tournaments will always have to be lan... its always bout lan haha.

gunnac

Smash Rookie
OK i didnt read all 32 pages of replies but doesnt anyone think that its a possibility that melee will be online for the Wii? I think there is a good possibility that this will happen, maybe at the same time brawl goes online (assuming it does). NIntendo definately has the capability to do this and if pressured enough they should eventually. I dont know if im off the mark whatever. i just feel that nintendo could do it better than independent (would be nice to have both though, supposing nintendo network gets bogged down).

gunnac

Smash Rookie
wow i just realized how old this is, i thought it was new. yeah im a loser

LLDL

Smash Hero
SHOOT, this is the psychoticworm thing. I thought they hacked the bios for Cube for dolphin or something.

Top Bottom