• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ControlSim is finished! Now you can play any GC game online!

Snes

Smash Rookie
nice thanks biolizard
however i think i got some ICS problems in my comp
thing is that i got 2 ethernet cards but when i turn on ICS on the card connected to the cube my internet connection stops working, however when i do the same procedure but then set the network card that is connected to my internet connection to "obtain ip address automatically" and repair the connection it seems to work but then i cant get the game to connectect with the other player (i tried playing a game with djveeman and i got gcars as far as to the point where it said it was connected but i still couldnt connect to djveeman) think you can help me out or should i post on the "team gx" forums?

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Snes said:
nice thanks biolizard
however i think i got some ICS problems in my comp
thing is that i got 2 ethernet cards but when i turn on ICS on the card connected to the cube my internet connection stops working, however when i do the same procedure but then set the network card that is connected to my internet connection to "obtain ip address automatically" and repair the connection it seems to work but then i cant get the game to connectect with the other player (i tried playing a game with djveeman and i got gcars as far as to the point where it said it was connected but i still couldnt connect to djveeman) think you can help me out or should i post on the "team gx" forums?
I have no experience with ICS; I use a router. So, sorry, I can't help you. Feel free to ask on Team Xlink, they can probably help you.

Morton Junior said:
How can I go online without buying anything?
If you had read the whole thread, you would have found out that you'll probably need extra hardware. You will definitely need a broadband adapter. You will also need a Max Drive Pro (or some other way to load .dol files onto your GameCube; Max Drive Pro is easiest but also one of the more expensive methods).

Bones0

Smash Legend
GAAAAAAHHHHHH! The acronyms. Too many. AHHHH!

I am deeply sorry. I have read the entire topic but I am more lost than a Kangaroo in a Koala factory. <_< :confused: Anyway, I am the MOST newbiest computer person ever. I gave up on setting up DC++ but this is too important. I have the following:
1 GC
1 Copy of SSBM (Version 0-01 USA)
1 Wireless Broadband Router
0 Copies of PSO.
0 Cables that connect my GC to my computer in any way.

I know plenty of people have asked before but I just can't figure it out. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, help out the pathetic Game FAQs n00b. :cry: How do I set it up/ what do I need to dl? I need step by step instructions. If someone tells me to open up a file, I will need to be told whether to go to My Documents or whatever. I know I'm sad but I am desperate. Also, if I ever get it up and running, do I play off of the computer screen or a TV? I assume since I have I wireless router I can play on a TV but I'm not sure. Is it required that I buy PSO? Sorry for the inconvenience, if you decide to ignore me I wouldn't blame you. *Gets on knees and begs for someone to take pity on him* :crying:

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
Bones0 said:
I have the following:
1 GC
0 Copies of PSO.
you forgot something on your list

1 Bullet *BANG* *Shoots Bones0 in the head*

smash online = uber lag and nonexistant.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Bones0 said:
I am deeply sorry. I have read the entire topic but I am more lost than a Kangaroo in a Koala factory. <_< :confused: Anyway, I am the MOST newbiest computer person ever. I gave up on setting up DC++ but this is too important. I have the following:
1 GC
0 Copies of PSO.

I know plenty of people have asked before but I just can't figure it out. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, help out the pathetic Game FAQs n00b. :cry: How do I set it up/ what do I need to dl? I need step by step instructions. If someone tells me to open up a file, I will need to be told whether to go to My Documents or whatever. I know I'm sad but I am desperate. Also, if I ever get it up and running, do I play off of the computer screen or a TV? I assume since I have I wireless router I can play on a TV but I'm not sure. Is it required that I buy PSO? Sorry for the inconvenience, if you decide to ignore me I wouldn't blame you. *Gets on knees and begs for someone to take pity on him* :crying:
Unfortunately, I'm no good at n00b-friendly instructions, but I'll try to help as best I can.

First off, I'd like to thank you for at least trying to read the whole thread before posting; that shows that you're at least trying, so thanks.

Second, unfortunately, you have SSBM v1.1, which doesn't work with ControlSim at the moment. So until someone hacks a script for it, you won't be able to play online (unless you can aquire v1.0).

Third, if you did have any supported games, you'd need a broadband adapter for your GameCube. Last time I checked, these sell online for around $30; you might be able to get it for less on eBay. I see that you have a wireless broadband router; you'd need a straight-through Ethernet cable (or a Wi-Fi bridge) to connect your GameCube's broadband adapter to your router.

Fourth, you'll also need a method of loading a .dol file onto your GameCube; this has been discussed at length in this thread already, but to make a long story short, PSOLoad with PSO Episode 1&2 is the cheapest method, but requires some computer skills to make it work; Max Drive Pro is more expensive but is supposedly the most user-friendly method (I haven't tried it, so I can't testify from personal experience). Look through the thread for posts that discuss loading .dol files, and feel free to post if you have any specific questions or don't understand something.

Oh, and you play the game on your TV, or whatever display your GameCube is wired to.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Tipman said:

STFU and stop flaming people, okay? The lag is not a big deal if you're playing someone with a decent ping, and I don't know why the hell you said "nonexistent," since many people have actually played many games of it. If you have something constructive to say, go ahead and say it, but stop flaming; it doesn't help anyone.

CozaMonkey

Smash Journeyman
Thomas Tipman said:

Thomas Tipman is right. ANY lag whatsoever ruins smash.

Red_Oxygen

Smash Apprentice
there is no lag. They tested it(the rubberbanding problem that got fixed) on dial-up and it ran almost full speed.....on dial-up!

DSL and Cable should run full speed without any lag at all.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
CozaMonkey said:
Thomas Tipman is right. ANY lag whatsoever ruins smash.
Have you actually played it online? From what I've heard from testers, it's very fun as long as you have a decent ping. Online SSBM will never be perfect (just like every other online fighting game), but it's still enjoyable from what I've heard.

Red_Oxygen said:
there is no lag. They tested it(the rubberbanding problem that got fixed) on dial-up and it ran almost full speed.....on dial-up!

DSL and Cable should run full speed without any lag at all.
That's a little optimistic. It's true that the game doesn't slow down, regardless of ping. But a large quantity of the testing that was done with dial-up was with Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, which is much more tolerant of lag. SA2:B worked fine on dial-up. However, I would not recommend SSBM on dial-up.

I've heard varying reports on the amount of lag. Someone (I think it was Neo-Ice) reported that there was no rubber-banding whatsoever with 60 updates per second. DJ Veeman, however, reports that there is still some ping-dependent rubber banding.

DSL and Cable will not be completely lag-free; that's due to the speed of light and the nature of the Internet. Unless you're playing with someone who's geographically close to you and who is on the same Internet backbone, there will always be some lag. There's just nothing you can do about it. This is the same whether the program was written by a high school student (ControlSim) or a team of highly experienced and highly paid programmers (Xbox Live).

That said, just because there is some lag doesn't mean the game is ruined; as long as the online protocol has some predictive measures (ControlSim does), the game remains fun even with some lag. Eventually, the game becomes not fun due to lag. I don't know what ping this would be for SSBM, but I know with SA2:B, it's well over 110ms.

Also, the SSBM script in ControlSim is not completely optimized. It still doesn't sync the players' velocity. Once those codes are hacked, the lag and rubber-banding should become even less noticible at high pings.

Zero34

Smash Lord
i really want to use this but before i go and learn more about a couple questions

does it actually work?
is it effective/efficicent?
is it worth it?

thanx

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Zero34 said:
i really want to use this but before i go and learn more about a couple questions

does it actually work?
Yes.
Zero34 said:
is it effective/efficicent?
I'm not sure what you mean by this; could you be more specific?
Zero34 said:
is it worth it?

thanx
It depends on whether you want to go through the trouble of setting it up (buying a Max Drive Pro and a broadband adapter, and possibly a router and Ethernet cables if you don't already have them). Also, it would help if you knew whether there's someone with a decent ping to you who's already set up. If you're okay with setting up, and you have someone with a good ping, yeah, I'd say it's worth it, although I haven't actually played SSBM online myself, so I'm going on what I've heard from testers.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
I would imagine that there is some gosu lag with this.
No? Someone who has used it should definitely describe it a bit because I don't feel like going through ANY pages looking for a description of how well it works. Basically, does it work? And... How much does it cost for all of the equipment (Assuming I have just a computer with a DSL connection).

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
biolizard89 said:
Have you actually played it online? From what I've heard from testers, it's very fun as long as you have a decent ping. Online SSBM will never be perfect (just like every other online fighting game), but it's still enjoyable from what I've heard.
well its good to hear you heard that from a friends friend who knows this guys brother whos stepdads sister has this on their cube. i flame this thread because it opened a year ago with the same title and just about 2 months ago it actually started working. well all in all i think this thread is dumb... so ill just be an *******. :)

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
AngeloBangelo said:
No? Someone who has used it should definitely describe it a bit because I don't feel like going through ANY pages looking for a description of how well it works. Basically, does it work? And... How much does it cost for all of the equipment (Assuming I have just a computer with a DSL connection).
If you don't want to read through this thread to find the answer to a question that has been answered multiple times, not too many people are going to want to help you.

However, if you want to know how well it works, I recall that a video that showed the network setup screen and gameplay (including rubber-banding) was posted on the Team-GX forums a while back; unfortunately, those forums are down right now. Ask on the Team Xlink forums, and someone might be able to upload the video. I think the people who made the video are DJ Veeman and |3laze, but don't hold me to that.

theFalcoMasta

Smash Apprentice
Read the **** thread it's been stated multiple times. In fact you had to simply look a few posts above you to figure out the answers to your question.

I cannot stand lazy people...

They want everything on a silver platter presented in front of them nicely on command.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
theFalcoMasta said:
Read the **** thread it's been stated multiple times. In fact you had to simply look a few posts above you to figure out the answers to your question.

They want everything on a silver platter presented in front of them nicely on command.
No.

P.S. Character limit

DaPerson

Smash Apprentice
theFalcoMasta said:

Calling someone lazy when you cant even stand? Thats just wrong...

Red_Oxygen

Smash Apprentice
nahh there are trolls here that hate online smash.

what you need.

* a BBA
* a computer
* a internet connection(broadband is recommended)

ControlSim has an dol uploading software( to memory card)

x1372

Smash Ace
Ok, I've read through a lot of this thread, and still can't find concrete instructions for this thing. I have...

The 1.0 version of smash
a BBA
a copy of Phantasy Star Online Ep I&II
a computer
a broadband internet connection

is there a simple, generic, step-by-step instructions set for this thing or what? I'll be honest - I don't have high expectations for this, but I at least want to give it a shot.

Uno

Smash Journeyman
I'm so confused on this. when its done and proven, someone make a new thread with clear instructions and definitions.

x1372

Smash Ace
yeah, a new topic would probably be good, especially since the starter of this one got banned and can't edit the first post.

And really, you didn't explain anything there. What I'm looking is a step by step set of instructions for whatever I need to download, how to get the thing working on the cube, and what I need specifically to get it set up and connect with people, and how to do all of that.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Red_Oxygen said:
nahh there are trolls here that hate online smash.

what you need.

* a BBA
* a computer
* a internet connection(broadband is recommended)

ControlSim has an dol uploading software( to memory card)
Which only works once you've already loaded GCARS-CS onto your GameCube. So, you'll still need a .dol loading method.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
the smash master said:
im just wondering if this is harmful to the computer. my sis would kill me if it was. thanks in advance
No, it won't hurt your computer or GameCube. Worst that can happen is if you don't read the readme and try to restore a raw memcard image in its memcard manager (it doesn't work and will corrupt your card). ControlSim itself won't hurt your memcard or anything else.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
Seems like there's about 20:1 question:answer ratio going on here.....only wish I could help.

Top Bottom