• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ControlSim is finished! Now you can play any GC game online!

Para

Smash Cadet
Let me try to explain this from the best of my knowledge.

Controlsim is a homebrew program, and is in .DOL format. Gamecube is able to execute .DOL files, even custom ones like CS. But the proble is, you need a way to load the DOL to the gamecube. Now theres a couple of ways of doing this, my choice of ways is to use a SD card with the program SDLOAD loaded on to it.

The SD card method is this:
-You need an Action Replay, any version. This is about $30 new.

-You need a SD card, any size, preferrably 32 megs or bigger, which is only $5 on ebay.

-You also need a SD card read/writer, which lets you upload files to the SD card from your computer. This also is about $5-$10 on ebay.

-You then need a SD card adaptor, which lets you connect the card to your gamecube. Finding a SD card adaptor is the tricky part of this method, since only one website professionally makes them( www.lik-sang.com for $30), and they are in hong kong which takes 2-4 weeks to ship to the US. You could also make your own with a chopped up memory card and some soldering, which i could post diagrams on how to do later.
I found another site that sells the adapter for $15:
http://www.jandaman.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=gcsdgecko

Then you would download the SDLoad program, located at www.GCDev.com . Further instructions are located in the SDLoad documentation in the download.

Think you have enough hardware to play games online yet? Not quite. You're also going to need a Broadband adaptor (BBA), which could range from $10-$35 used or new.

That is all the actual hardware you'll need to get in order to play online with controlsim. There are other methods to load DOL's than the sd card method, but I find this one to be the fastest and the most reliable.

And yes, you will have to enter about 29 lines of code in your AR to get SDLoad to work, but thankfully you only have to enter it in once.

I believe other people have covered exactly how ControlSim works so I'm not going to bother to explain that. I thought it would be nice to explain the hardware /set-up specifications. Cheers.

Joel80

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by Para
Let me try to explain this from the best of my knowledge.

Controlsim is a homebrew program, and is in .DOL format. Gamecube is able to execute .DOL files, even custom ones like CS. But the proble is, you need a way to load the DOL to the gamecube. Now theres a couple of ways of doing this, my choice of ways is to use a SD card with the program SDLOAD loaded on to it.

The SD card method is this:
-You need an Action Replay, any version. This is about $30 new.

-You need a SD card, any size, preferrably 32 megs or bigger, which is only $5 on ebay.

-You also need a SD card read/writer, which lets you upload files to the SD card from your computer. This also is about $5-$10 on ebay.

-You then need a SD card adaptor, which lets you connect the card to your gamecube. Finding a SD card adaptor is the tricky part of this method, since only one website professionally makes them( www.lik-sang.com for $30), and they are in hong kong which takes 2-4 weeks to ship to the US. You could also make your own with a chopped up memory card and some soldering, which i could post diagrams on how to do later.

Then you would download the SDLoad program, located at www.GCDev.com . Further instructions are located in the SDLoad documentation in the download.

Think you have enough hardware to play games online yet? Not quite. You're also going to need a Broadband adaptor (BBA), which could range from $10-$35 used or new.

That is all the actual hardware you'll need to get in order to play online with controlsim. There are other methods to load DOL's than the sd card method, but I find this one to be the fastest and the most reliable.

And yes, you will have to enter about 29 lines of code in your AR to get SDLoad to work, but thankfully you only have to enter it in once.

I believe other people have covered exactly how ControlSim works so I'm not going to bother to explain that. I thought it would be nice to explain the hardware /set-up specifications. Cheers.
Can't you just write it on a Mini Disc and load it that way? like AR does it.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Joel80
Can't you just write it on a Mini Disc and load it that way? like AR does it.
Datel has the resources to reverse-engineer the GCN-discs and create ones of their own. Fuzziqer does not. It's a lot harder than it sounds; a standard DVD burner won't do.

Joel80

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by biolizard89
Datel has the resources to reverse-engineer the GCN-discs and create ones of their own. Fuzziqer does not. It's a lot harder than it sounds; a standard DVD burner won't do.
what kind of burner do you have to use

Joel80

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by Para
I think gamecube dvd's are burned backwards, which is why it's so hard to do it.

So obviously there is an after market Burner for it cus Action replay is a third party company. so the question is What kind of burner are they using and were do you get it? cus you whould make good money if you could just make it on a disc and sell the disc online Jesus man. you whould make a killing.

FuzziqerSoftware

Smash Rookie
GameCube DVDs are not burned backwards. The things that makes them incompatible with other drives are (1) all data is encrypted, and (2) they have BCA barcodes. A BCA cutting machine costs about $25,000, so I'm not about to just go to the corner store and buy one.

FuzziqerSoftware

Smash Rookie
Yes, I've talked with TheDaddy (of Team XLink), and I think CS works with Kai right now. I haven't done any testing yet.

Memory card support is a bit tedious - I'd have to port my whole program to LibOGC, and because there are 53 source files, it would take a while. I think the first beta won't save yet.

I added scroll support to the code list and game list menus; it seems to be working fine.

Joel80

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by FuzziqerSoftware
GameCube DVDs are not burned backwards. The things that makes them incompatible with other drives are (1) all data is encrypted, and (2) they have BCA barcodes. A BCA cutting machine costs about $25,000, so I'm not about to just go to the corner store and buy one.

Well, I was thinking that it might be a good investment. If Fuzzier or Kai or who ever, spent that money to mass produce the finished product for sale on disc. Just like a Pro action replay works. copy right your software..I believe that whould be a good idea at least. Then you could at least partner with a developing company that has the tech to do it. that might save you money in the whole deal. A Product that allows you to play multi-player games online, whould sell. Also it whoudl give you revenue to develop your product further.

FuzziqerSoftware

Smash Rookie
Well, I can think of a few reasons not to do that.
1. I want to keep CS completely closed-source. No one has seen the source but me, and I keep it that way to prevent a leak. I hate leaks.
2. If I were to sell discs, it would make my program cost money. I like to keep things free.
3. People would probably rip the discs anyway, and boot them with loaders.

So I'm not saying it's a bad idea (I have thought about it several times), but I just don't know if it's worth the effort.

Joel80

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by FuzziqerSoftware
Well, I can think of a few reasons not to do that.
1. I want to keep CS completely closed-source. No one has seen the source but me, and I keep it that way to prevent a leak. I hate leaks.
2. If I were to sell discs, it would make my program cost money. I like to keep things free.
3. People would probably rip the discs anyway, and boot them with loaders.

So I'm not saying it's a bad idea (I have thought about it several times), but I just don't know if it's worth the effort.
]

How does lynux cost money and remain open source i wonder?

FuzziqerSoftware

Smash Rookie
*sigh* How many times do I have to say this? Yes, the Control Simulator does work. It has been tested several times. It will be released pending resolution of a few problems.

Hockey442

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately Im not sold yet, with any form of lag the elite players will once again become n00b's. Timing is everything in this game! However the idea is great, who wouldn't want this?! Who knows, maybe the l337 players will be able to adapt to the lag? lol....we shall see!

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Joel80
well.. if he takes any longer..ima buy a :p Revolution
Well, since I'm a beta tester, I can tell you that it is pretty much working (at least for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle); there are just some bugs that need to be dealt with.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
even though this post contradicts its purpose, i am tired of seeing people say random **** in this thread like "OMFG this works for mario kart" and crap like that. the title says "controlsim is finished! now you can play any GC game online!" when none of that is true. it isnt finished and you can only play sonic adventures from what i read. stop posting please for the love of god if its not done yet. when it is post how it works and yada, yada, yada. this thread is nothing but ranting on how awsome or gay itd be if smash was playable online. threads like these should be closed and sent to gamefaqs.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by bill7907
so keep us up to date with the process,what's hapening now with the project?
Well, to tell you the truth, I haven't tested it much in the past few days. I'm in the middle of finals, so I have had very little time lately to do anything. Another of the testers had his dog eat his Cube's video cord, so he's been unable to test as well. At the moment it's just Fuzziqer and Diffuse who are actively testing, and I'm not even sure about them; they haven't posted much in the testing forum either lately. Fuzziqer is trying to recruit more testers, and my last day of finals is Tuesday, so there should be more testing and details soon.

However, here's a quick rundown of what's being discussed in the testing forum:
  • Samson's loader (the one that uses an Action Replay and a standard memcard) doesn't work right now; it crashes the GameCube when you start a game.
  • It's untested with Xlink Kai right now; I think Kai Diagnostics showed it working okay, but we have not tried to play a game with it.
  • Desync issues are showing up; we fixed all the memcard-related desync bugs (e.g. on one GameCube the memcard is low on space, so it pops up with a notification, while on the other the game starts running, so we have a desync) by disabling memcards completely. You will use Action Replay codes to unlock stuff rather than memcards. We have a couple other desync issues that need to be looked at, but we have some ideas about what's causing them, so it shouldn't be too big a problem.
  • Currently, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle USA works. Other games that are initially planned to be supported are Super Smash Bros. Melee v1.0 USA, Ikaruga USA, and Mario Kart: Double Dash USA. Other games will be supported as scripts (lists of RAM addresses) are found for them.

There's other stuff, but that's the bulk of it. Hope this quenches your thirst for information. :)

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
dude,when are you guys finishing your exams so you could start working more intensively on this project?

i'm talking of course about fuzziqer and his testers
I don't know about anyone else, but my last day of school (and finals) is Tuesday. I think Fuzziqer hasn't started finals yet, but don't hold me to that.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
biolizard,

when you tested Sonic adventures,how was the lag?was it playable or too slow?
In general it was very playable. Very occasionally there would be some major lag that made the camera appear to shake (we think this was a bug, not just a result of ping), but in general it was pretty good. We had a ping of around 80-100.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
and how would you compare it to the single player mode offline?

is there a big difference in response time?
Well, since local players don't lag at all, it's sort of hard to judge that. I did watch Diffuse (a tester) play in 1-player mode (you can do that in ControlSim, just play as Player 2 and you can watch 1-player games), and except for those rare occasions where there was major lag that I mentioned earlier, I could not tell that I was watching over the Internet; it looked perfectly real-time. There was a desync problem in single-player mode at one point, but that will be fixed before anything's released.

Now, you have to remember, just because lag is not visible in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, doesn't mean that it will be like that in other games. In Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, nothing that you have to do in multiplayer relies on you being able to see where your opponent is. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, that's not the case. And Diffuse and I had a ping of 80-100ms; he's in Canada and I'm in the USA. If we had been across an ocean, which would make the ping higher, the lag might have been more noticible.

So I make no guarantees of the performance of ControlSim, but in my testing experience, it's been very good.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Ok i see,looks good so far

I tought Sonic would be more demanding and would cause more lag because it relies a lot on animations,graphics and design.

In the case of smash melee,it looks less demanding and easier to manage on the internet because there's only players moving.

By the way,i'll make sure to play you as soon as it works for smash melee.Who's your best character?

:chuckle:
Well, you won't believe this, but I don't actually have SSBM. This is because my parents seem to think it's "too violent." I'm 15. Stupid? Yes. Can I do anything about it? No. So I've only played it at friends' houses, and as such, I am extremely bad at it. You have permission to laugh.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
its really too bad that your parents' minds are being whored out to the Entertainment Software Rating Board, because T for Teen is one of the most inaccurate labels for this game. Even so, you're a teenager right?

I bet your parents are devout Christians, is what it is.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Ruler_of_Melee
its really too bad that your parents' minds are being whored out to the Entertainment Software Rating Board, because T for Teen is one of the most inaccurate labels for this game. Even so, you're a teenager right?

I bet your parents are devout Christians, is what it is.
Actually my parents are atheists, and are very liberal on most issues. It just seems to be fantasy violence that they're anal about.

I'm not even allowed to play some E-rated games (the original SSB, for example). :(

Top Bottom