• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ControlSim is finished! Now you can play any GC game online!

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
djveeman said:
you need pso v1&2 the original version

the new plus version does not work

once you have pso load you should be able to load gcars with that
Thanks, but I had gotten that far, I was more aiming for the likes of what to do after that to play (well play, test, still beta right) SSBM against someone else.. guess I'll have to check the GX team forum for that.

Para

Smash Cadet
Right now the SSBM script isnt complete. I've tested with some people and we cant get past the menu's so far. It's being worked on.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Para said:
Right now the SSBM script isnt complete. I've tested with some people and we cant get past the menu's so far. It's being worked on.
Just the same thing that happened when loading the SSBM iso with PSOLoad:/ Does the How To Play work..?

Anyway, the best of luck on the script.. keep things updated here, the topic tends to die alot..

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
bornfidelity.com said:
Just the same thing that happened when loading the SSBM iso with PSOLoad:/ Does the How To Play work..?

Anyway, the best of luck on the script.. keep things updated here, the topic tends to die alot..
I'm not sure if I misread your post (I've been on planes all day, just got to a hotel and am about to get some much-needed sleep), but you can't load GameCube ISOs with PSOLoad. You'll need either a GCM Streamer (If I remember correctly, GC Simulator is a good one) or a DVD burner with an Anaconda DOL file (GCARS-CS supports Anaconda). Look around various websites, like XtremeConsole, they'll have more info.

If I totally misread your post, I apologize, I seriously need some sleep.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
biolizard89 said:
I'm not sure if I misread your post (I've been on planes all day, just got to a hotel and am about to get some much-needed sleep), but you can't load GameCube ISOs with PSOLoad. You'll need either a GCM Streamer (If I remember correctly, GC Simulator is a good one) or a DVD burner with an Anaconda DOL file (GCARS-CS supports Anaconda). Look around various websites, like XtremeConsole, they'll have more info.

If I totally misread your post, I apologize, I seriously need some sleep.
I probably don't know how to name these things correctly :/ Through PSO and some other programs I'm supposed to be able to stream to the Cube (I'm still waiting for my broadband adapter). A friend of mine does so, though, and that's what happened to him when he played SSBM. I really don't know enough about allt his stuff to give any good comment, but I'm willing to learn and willing to put time in that, so I guess I'll be checking uit XtremeConsole (and referal to other sites is welcome..)

sheek_sheik

Smash Rookie
i think someone should send an E-mail to Attack of The Show on g4tv
that way it will get out all over the place to who ever watches it

Para

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't want this project going public until it was 100% functional, we dont need 1000 people flooding this topic.

eMs

Smash Apprentice
I still don't see how you can do this without hardware added to the GCN, I already read all the explanations and whatnot, it just seems lacking. Well I am glad this is legit, or at least I hope it is, so just let us know when its safe to play, I will def be sure and check it out.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
eMs said:
I still don't see how you can do this without hardware added to the GCN, I already read all the explanations and whatnot, it just seems lacking. Well I am glad this is legit, or at least I hope it is, so just let us know when its safe to play, I will def be sure and check it out.
Basically, once you get a homebrew program onto the GameCube, it can do anything that a commercial game can do; i.e. it can do anything that the GameCube's hardware supports. Since the GameCube's hardware supports reading controller data and sending data over the Broadband Adapter, a homebrew program can do that. No extra hardware required.

And I can confirm that it is definitely legit; I've played several games of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle with this.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
*bump*

GCARS-CS is in Public Beta v0.8 now, and l3laze was kind enough to make a quick video showing SSBM in action. It's nothing special, it just shows that something is being synced more or less.

Note that it is not playable yet; it doesn't yet sync player coordinates (because the codes Fuzziqer hacked to do that seem to crash the game, possibly due to a GCARS-CS bug). Fuzziqer's working on it.

Anyway, here's the video .

MyKo

Smash Lord
You Probably Can Tell After IP Tracking Me.
wait so if u can play online for any whatever gc game, why the hell aren't we doing it now. lol
actually, shouldn't we just be patient, NR is coming out, if a woman can wait 9 months for her baby, we can wait 9 months more/less for our NR with online SSBM, so we shud quick the worries eh? lol

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
MyKo said:
wait so if u can play online for any whatever gc game, why the hell aren't we doing it now. lol
actually, shouldn't we just be patient, NR is coming out, if a woman can wait 9 months for her baby, we can wait 9 months more/less for our NR with online SSBM, so we shud quick the worries eh? lol
Well, first of all, it doesn't work with every game at the moment. In theory (note that I say "in theory"), it can work with any GameCube game, however, there are limitations in practice. Specifically, someone familiar with game code hacking (e.g. for Action Replay) needs to write a "script" for each game, which will (a) keep it synced and (b) make lag less noticible. The script contains instructions for ControlSim to sync certain RAM addresses, for example, the player's coordinates, the items on the field, the player's velocity, the menu selections, etc. This takes some major effort. At the moment, the only games with good scripts (i.e. ones that will stay synced) are Sonic Adventure 2: Battle USA (script by Fuzziqer) and possibly Super Monkey Ball 2 USA (script by me; it didn't work with GCARS-CS v0.3a, but it could work now due to bug fixes in GCARS-CS; no one's tested it). Super Smash Bros. Melee v1.0 USA is being worked on by Fuzziqer.

The reason why not many people are using it so far is, not many people know about it, it requires extra hardware (e.g. a Broadband Adapter) that many people don't have, and it requires some technical knowledge to set up. The first and third problems will be improved as the software gets more advanced.

As for the Revolution, yes, it will most likely obsolete ControlSim for people who are willing to go buy a new console and new games. However, for people who don't want to, or for people who want to play a game not released on the Revolution, ControlSim will still be there. Hey, people still play Genesis and N64 games online on Kaillera-enabled emulators, even though newer games are available online.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
*bump*

GCARS-CS v0.9b has been released, and the pointer code bugs have been fixed. SSBM v1.0 USA actually works somewhat, but there is a large amount of rubber-banding, i.e, you smash your opponent, he starts flying away for a couple feet, and then teleports back onto the platform you kicked him off of. This occurs when the smash occurred between pad data updates, as opposed to during one of them, so your opponent's Cube never gets the information that you smashed, so the coordinates that your opponent is syncing with you put him back where he started.

I've already proposed a method of fixing this on the Team-GX forums; I don't know how long it will take Fuzziqer to implement it.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
i updated quicktime to the fullest and it still wont play :(

hooru

Smash Rookie
HOLY ****!!
Thats just insane....
Nice job!
Was the weird animation-lag just on the recording? It looked like direct feed, which i've seen do that before.

djveeman

Smash Cadet
hooru said:
HOLY ****!!
Thats just insane....
Nice job!
Was the weird animation-lag just on the recording? It looked like direct feed, which i've seen do that before.
were still unsure it may have to do with 2 things

1. gcars-cs only updates every 6 frames so the animation looks choppy
if the update were more often it may get rid of it

2. the 2 players in this match had a ping of 167ms which is really high this my have caused that lagg.

for those who have not read the last page

this program is out you can start playing online right now!

djveeman

Smash Cadet
well if you have the original version of pso then your already set
but if you dont i would recomend max drive pro :)

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
W00tf! Sweet! Finally ^_^. I'm heading back to the GX Forums right now ^_^

Btw, to watch the vid, just use VLCPlayer. It's free, and it plays EVERYTHING, it has every codec you can think of, and plays .mov, .avi etc, even .dat files ^_<. Plus, it eats almost no RAM, is incredibly fast to use and there's not junk coming to your pc with it whatsoever...

I'd like to buy &Fuzziqer a beer.. ^_^

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Save link as works fine with me :ohwell:

Why, are you interested in online play? Sadly, there's no script yet for the PAL version of Melee (I'm seeing what I can do, but it seems kinda hard <_<)

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Rip said:
i have one question:

Does it really works?
If you don't mind significant rubber-banding (which can be lessened by holding down the buttons longer), then yes, from what I've heard, it really works. It's playable at the moment, but certainly not as fun as on one GameCube. The rubber-banding will be dealt with; there's already a thread on Team-GX about fixing it.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Hm, you've seen the vid, right? ;)

SDM; a step by step guide'd be nice, but if you can load a .DOL to your cube, and have executed GCARS-CS on it, you've come a far end. The documentation with GCARS-CS might prove helpful. Check out the leetforums for more information...

Para

Smash Cadet
It needs more coding to be playable, right now there's extreme rubber banding. When i played a couple of matches 'd hit my opponent and he'd take no damage, and continue to rubber band around. We'd also fall out of sync in some of the menu parts (i'd be at char select and he'd be in a level already resulting in a freeze.) Dont worry, give it...more time. But it'l be working eventually.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Para said:
It needs more coding to be playable, right now there's extreme rubber banding. When i played a couple of matches 'd hit my opponent and he'd take no damage, and continue to rubber band around. We'd also fall out of sync in some of the menu parts (i'd be at char select and he'd be in a level already resulting in a freeze.) Dont worry, give it...more time. But it'l be working eventually.
Yeah, from what I've heard, the rubber-banding is a problem. This is because GCARS-CS only updates the controller data every 6 frames. That means that quick button taps (like attacks in SSBM) frequently get lost. Fuzziqer has added a feature to GCARS-CS (which will be in the next beta) that allows you to choose how often the controller data and scripts are updated. 60 updates per second is in theory the best method, although it uses more bandwidth. There's also the problem that with 4 players and 60 updates per second, the extra CPU time necessary for GCARS-CS to handle that could (possibly, not definitely) cause the game to skip frames. Either way, the next beta will be a huge improvement.

Top Bottom