• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Funny enough, I've been counter picked on smashladder with cloud a lot. I think its 55:45 in megas favor. Clouds recovery is stupid easy to leafstool. Or really anything works.
Lemons eat blade beams
Lemons can stop him mid limitbreak
Uairs destroy him, he's a very good weight class for landing double Uairs and most clouds just have that urge to SH Nair way too often

But in the right hands, a good cloud will juggle the **** out of you. Thata probably the main thing to be worried about. Which is why I think it's 55:45 instead of 60:40
I see. These Clouds had the basic idea of "Stay on stage so I can use a Limit Break that doesn't help me recover). Maybe I'm just late to the party? Either way, I at least have some experience in the match up.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Yeah, the main problem against him is getting to land safely. The blondie juggles the crap outta us, and it builds way too much damage. Footstooling works, really :

If its not there already, at the 0:34 mark.

I think its pretty even. He can kill pretty early, its like the one thought Sakurai had while making him was "Everything kills, that should be good enough.".

KrakatoaPower

Smash Rookie
Any advice for reliable and consistent ways to kill with Megaman I consistently kill people at 130-170 and I want to know how to improve my game

Jadester

Smash Rookie
NNID
JadesterCubed
Any advice for reliable and consistent ways to kill with Megaman I consistently kill people at 130-170 and I want to know how to improve my game
Reliable kill tactics, hmm.

Well, megaman has a kill throw back throw, but these are often hard to setup. more often than not though I end up killing with either a back air off stage after baiting an air dodge, or a super glide toss up-tilt does wonders.

Try seeing what your opponent does when you approach. If they shield a lot, you may get a chance for a back throw kill or even just throwing them off stage for a chance of back air. If they tend to roll or the like, try either reading the roll into an upsmash or even a SGT kill if your feeling stylish.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Hey guys! I've always been interested in using Mega Man for the longest time now, and only recently have I learned about "DITCIT" or it's other name "Super Glide Tossing" (I think??) I want to learn this technique, but I don't know the inputs for the Pro Controller, the one that I use.
Anywho, to cut to the chase, can someone give me some tips on how to Super Glide Toss on the Pro controller? Thanks!

Jadester

Smash Rookie
NNID
JadesterCubed
Hey guys! I've always been interested in using Mega Man for the longest time now, and only recently have I learned about "DITCIT" or it's other name "Super Glide Tossing" (I think??) I want to learn this technique, but I don't know the inputs for the Pro Controller, the one that I use.
Anywho, to cut to the chase, can someone give me some tips on how to Super Glide Toss on the Pro controller? Thanks!
Yeah, for sure! I play Smash 3DS a lot, so its somewhat similar.
In my opinion the easiest way to SGTU (Super glide toss up) is to press your equivalent of Z (so right bumper or right trigger) and then flick your C-Stick upwards.

It will take a while to get used too it, and the timing is a little weird, but eventually you'll get pretty consistent! If I was confusing just post again or send me a message and I'll try to clarify.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Yeah, for sure! I play Smash 3DS a lot, so its somewhat similar.
In my opinion the easiest way to SGTU (Super glide toss up) is to press your equivalent of Z (so right bumper or right trigger) and then flick your C-Stick upwards.

It will take a while to get used too it, and the timing is a little weird, but eventually you'll get pretty consistent! If I was confusing just post again or send me a message and I'll try to clarify.
Wow, thanks a bunch! I've managed to do it quite the number of times in a row now, it's super fun! Thanks again!

KrakatoaPower

Smash Rookie
Reliable kill tactics, hmm.

Well, megaman has a kill throw back throw, but these are often hard to setup. more often than not though I end up killing with either a back air off stage after baiting an air dodge, or a super glide toss up-tilt does wonders.

Try seeing what your opponent does when you approach. If they shield a lot, you may get a chance for a back throw kill or even just throwing them off stage for a chance of back air. If they tend to roll or the like, try either reading the roll into an upsmash or even a SGT kill if your feeling stylish.
Ok I'll try that thanks it does seem like almost all of his kills are read oriented

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Killing isn't really one of Mega Man's strong points, he's a low risk, low reward character who thrives on winning neutral while pestering opponents while dealing little damage and having trouble taking stocks. But one thing you can do is Fullhop Diagonal Metal Blade into Up Tilt as a kill confirm. Works great for punishes and even if they shield the blade, you can still grab them and toss them offstage for a potential gimp.

KrakatoaPower

Smash Rookie
Killing isn't really one of Mega Man's strong points, he's a low risk, low reward character who thrives on winning neutral while pestering opponents while dealing little damage and having trouble taking stocks. But one thing you can do is Fullhop Diagonal Metal Blade into Up Tilt as a kill confirm. Works great for punishes and even if they shield the blade, you can still grab them and toss them offstage for a potential gimp.
Ok I'll start doing that more

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Question! If you dash and then jump do you still continue your dash speed in the air?

If so, then there is a faster why to close the distance and utilt after a missed Jiggly Rest and other super punishable moves.

I used to think dash to slow run to utilt was fast, but maybe dash to short hop to utilt is faster? This is because after a jumping a dash you land walking which is possible to utilt out of!

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Question! If you dash and then jump do you still continue your dash speed in the air?

If so, then there is a faster why to close the distance and utilt after a missed Jiggly Rest and other super punishable moves.

I used to think dash to slow run to utilt was fast, but maybe dash to short hop to utilt is faster? This is because after a jumping a dash you land walking which is possible to utilt out of!
i've always thought it was faster to do a dash SHFF utilt than to do the slow run. i would definitely like to see some data on this. i never thought about it before either, but always landing in walk animation is a huge benefit for being able to do this.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Mega Man has a running speed that's around 1.4, while his max air Speed is around 1.1, according to Kuroganehammer. Gotta check Smash Highlights :p

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Am going to start updating the OPs of some of the threads, could anyone give me a list of some notable mains beyond scAtt77? If they have YT or Twitch channels I'd also like to try and promote them in the video thread.
I would say Greward is next in line after scatt. After that it is hard to say. I know Ssguy does really well in his region but me and a few other mega men on here have beat him pretty handily.

I think styles just does flashy stuff and doesn't really do much competitive things on his stream.

I do almost solely anthers ladders matches on my stream and talk about matchup tips and a lot of competitive strategy. Here is my twitch if you want to add it to the OP
Www.twitch.tv/1337PwnCall

Getting kills early relies on reads, gimps, and kill confirms. I don a lot of megas get them from the PwnCall upper which is dthrow MB to upper.

Also Bair,bthrow, and usmash are the main kill moves.

Saltix

Smash Lord
I've been pretty free to Yoshi lately, and I know some of the info in the MU thread is a little dated, anybody have any current advice for that MU?
Lately been getting wrecked by SHAD approaches, and AD landings. Yoshi's air speed and fast aerials have allowed him to AD through Usmashes, Uairs etc, and just throw moves out.
I'm thinking of just getting a % lead and running with it, but I'd prefer not to resort to that.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I know Uair works wonders since it pulls him out of his aerials and he wants to be in the air a lot.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I'd just like to say that i really don't think that losing/winning the ditto makes you a worse/better megaman.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Agreed fully, my man!

But not going to lie, if I play against another Mega I want to win. :p It doesn't prove anything, but it makes me feel good, lol.

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
I was playing against a Mega Man in my last tournament and I was having a lot of trouble with getting juggled by up air. It seems like if you air dodge one you are pretty much guaranteed to get hit by a second one. Is this true? Also how should I try to get out of them instead? I am really afraid to jump since I've died off the top like that before. I play Sonic and Sheik, so any answers specific to them would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Don't jump, with sheik i would bouncing fish away. Air dodging is your best best also if you are close to the edge of the stage I suggest you go towards offstage that way we can't land and shoot more however you will be able to be edgeguarded. Yea airdodging is the best though, repeated sometimes, and no we don't always hit you if you airdodge the first, sometimes tho really depends on how close to the ground you are.

Megamang

Smash Lord
There were a few pages on some thread where people were figuring out the DICIT forwards that I would like to access, but I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone have a link, or perhaps remember what thread had a 2+ page discussion on the exact mechanics of DICIT?

Also, pls no patch sakurai, only buff lemon range.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
It was the ditcit thread just a few down on the main mega man page shouldn't be hard to find.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Can anyone tell me if super glide toss is still in?
I can't play till tomorrow night, wanted to know.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey guys quick question, can you still do super glide toss if your cstick is set to tilts?

And for anyone who knows heaps about super glide toss, are there any other characters who have good super glide toss's? (I know shulk and ike do)

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
You can do it with the A+B smash method, which i highly recommend as it allows you to throw the blade forward, enabling a nice kill confirm at low percentages... i believe.

Does a forward metal blade SGT true combo into utilt or dsmash?

Megamang

Smash Lord
Forward, then forward at the same time as pressing a, then diagonally up while adding the b button (both are held at once).

Ive got it about one in 25 times. Still gotta figure it out basically, id ask someone else.

TrianglEYE

Smash Rookie
The only people who are using super glide toss forward in tournament ate wifi nunchuck users. The only way to get super glide forward toss is utilizing the wii nunchucks shake to smash function. Unfortunately the use of wireless controllers has never been a great approach for tournaments. There was a good article on smash boards front page last month about wireless users.

Also full hop df.metal blade, land, up smash works at higher percentages where up tilt would hit sour otherwise.

forward glide toss mb, Ftilt, Ftilt, (Ftilt/Utilt)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
so back to my original question then, can the upwards superglide toss be done with c-stick set to tilts?

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
so back to my original question then, can the upwards superglide toss be done with c-stick set to tilts?
Nope. It needs to be set to smash attack. Also other some characters with good glide tosses would be Link and Greninja.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
The only people who are using super glide toss forward in tournament ate wifi nunchuck users. The only way to get super glide forward toss is utilizing the wii nunchucks shake to smash function. Unfortunately the use of wireless controllers has never been a great approach for tournaments. There was a good article on smash boards front page last month about wireless users.

Also full hop df.metal blade, land, up smash works at higher percentages where up tilt would hit sour otherwise.

forward glide toss mb, Ftilt, Ftilt, (Ftilt/Utilt)

There are videos online of people consistently doing it with the gc controller. I myself have gotten at least 20 times, im just working on consistency.

If it is humanely possible and helpful, people will eventually learn it. See: ridiculous mashing for luigis.

And having a lower damage kill confirm is pretty great. I could see it greatly improving megas place in the metagame. Its not one or the other anyways, ill be using the other kill confirms...

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So how good is Mega Man at playing footsies? I know he's not too fast but are lemons enough to make up for it?

Megamang

Smash Lord
Its unlike traditional footsies. You aren't really jockying for good position or pokes, you are constantly throwing out light damage and knockback while waiting to see what they do. For example, I like to do landing pellets until they are conditioned to shield when I land. Then I do empty land into dashgrab, pummel em once, then chuck them back out, or up if they are a character that is vulnerable above me. With some characters, such as luigi, simply pelting with lemons at midrange is strong enough to win the matches (Obviously you need other things, but its a solid gameplan).

So, his footsies are not quite normal footsies, but they are very strong. How strong? MU dependent. Characters with strong zone breakers tend to not have problems outfootsying mega, though this of course player to player (you can predict the zone breaker and push them out, its what wins matches for mega!). He is heavy so you can afford to make some mistakes, as long as you don't die for the mistake as often as you are getting kills of course. Im getting off topic, back to footsies:

Burst movement isn't always good enough to zonebreak megaman anyways. For example, Monkey Kick gets slowed by lemons enough to reactively punish after they sift through the lemon. It stops bayo's grounded side B cold. It can even stop bouncing fish, though this has to hit just right for it to occur.

The only case where megaman really really just gets demolished in footsies is shiek, as she is more mobile, gets confirms for days since mega is heavy, and needles win any projectile war for some dumb, dumb reason.

Another really cool footsy type trick is how you can pivot an Ftilt from a run: This means megaman can full speed run away then immediately be walking the opposite direction firing lemons. Great spacing manuever.

Does this help with your question?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I would say so. Thanks for the detailed response. Soul searching for a main atm, played Mega Man on and off since the demo, I still kinda stink at him, wanted some insight. I'm a big fan of the item game.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys. I'm curious: Are Mega Man and Kirby a good team? I feel like they are, since Mega Man helps Kirby out with characters like Sonic and Luigi, and I feel Kirby does a better job against characters like Mario and Fox. What do you think?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Well Crash Bomb + Kirby's uthrow = instant KO. If you're ahead in stocks, why not?
I should have phrased what I said better. What I meant was to have a Mega Man and Kirby duo, not in the sense of doubles. Y'know, kinda like @smasher1001 co mains Megs and Mario. I know Kirby's lower tier than Mario is, but both Mario and Kirby are the same type of characters: All Arounds. I picked Kirby instead of Mario because I prefer playing as Kirby over Mario, and I found him and Megs to be a great combination.

Top Bottom