• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Oh. As a secondary. I saw the word "team" and thought of teams or doubles. Can't help too much with secondary recommendations.

Plutooooo

Smash Rookie
Anyone know if SGT is harder with soft buttons?

I have a 2DS instead of a 3DS, which has more tactile buttons. I showed my friend how to do it today and he got it within the first minute and can now do it 50% of the time on his 3DS, while I can barely do it once every 5 minutes.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I've alternated between using the L-trigger and the Z-button. I've settled on using the button instead of the trigger.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I should have phrased what I said better. What I meant was to have a Mega Man and Kirby duo, not in the sense of doubles. Y'know, kinda like S smasher1001 co mains Megs and Mario. I know Kirby's lower tier than Mario is, but both Mario and Kirby are the same type of characters: All Arounds. I picked Kirby instead of Mario because I prefer playing as Kirby over Mario, and I found him and Megs to be a great combination.
I could see kirby being a solid alt. char choice for mega, both have relatively different playstyles which helps cover alot of different situations ^.^

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Does dsmash or utilt have more knockback?
Dsmash is 30 base with 99 knock-back growth
Utilt is 40 base with 80 knock-back growth.

That means that utilt is a better option early on and dtilt is better later (or versus heavy characters)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Updated the OP of the thread.

Do we have a general thread for how to do Glide Tosses yet? I kind of lost track over time.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
there's been quite a few threads where people have thrown out their experiences with doing super glide toss, but i think the thread with possibly the most information in it is one made by @xIvan321, it had quite a few pages if i remember correctly and alot of good discussion from many people.

edit: i guess i was wrong, the thread wasn't by xIvan321. maybe a centralized thread on the tech should be posted? all the information i know of is just really spread out in a bunch of threads, besides that one i spoke of above.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
I can do lots of tech in each smash game and I can't get any consistency on the freakin SGT. Which is really frustrating because my game relies a lot on metal blade in hand tactics; SGT would add a level of mixups and uncertainty to my mega that I really crave... I keep talking about how good it is (and it really is) but I can't get it when I truly need it.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
it's really hard to pull off right on the fly.. maybe play around with bananas in training mode if you haven't already. ingraining it into muscle memory will make it less of a hassle to use in a split second situation. at least, that helped me.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
When using Leaf Shield to edgeguard and maintain stage control, what problems do you run into from characters? I use Ike and find it very hard to get back on stage, especially if it's on something like FD. None of the ledge options seem to work, and recovering above with Quick Draw just gets me grabbed and thrown back off-stage.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
It's a pretty easy thing for Mega Man to maintain. Your best bet is either rolling past it or just waiting it out off stage. Unfortunately for Ike, Mega Man is good at keeping him off stage.

Megamang

Smash Lord
When using Leaf Shield to edgeguard and maintain stage control, what problems do you run into from characters? I use Ike and find it very hard to get back on stage, especially if it's on something like FD. None of the ledge options seem to work, and recovering above with Quick Draw just gets me grabbed and thrown back off-stage.
Keep in mind megaman can't use any aerials, so using fair to smack him back will either hit him or make him dodge. Of course, he can still hit you with leaves if he is dodging, but mixing up fair and nair should make it pretty hard for him to consistently do.

If fair is too laggy for you to survive, you are pretty low and I consider the onus to be on megaman to get a gimp here. There isn't a correct play here for Ike so much as mixups.

Anyways, make sure you are always DIing up unless you are hit with Uair, a lot of the method to surviving megaman starts before the edgeguard. If you start getting hit with approaching pellets, especially start DIing up here, since he is probably going to f-tilt-ftilt nair you and a bad DI here puts you in a really terrible position.

ShinyPiks

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiny_Piks
3DS FC
4270-3310-8957
Hey guys, I changed my C-stick to attacks recently and I noticed that I can't do SGTs anymore because of that. So is there another way for me to do a SGT ?

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I'm interested in learning Mega Man as my first official secondary for:4mario:. Basically, as a:4megaman:newcomer, I do have some questions that I want to know about:
1) How does a professional Mega Man play the neutral?
2) Things that I should avoid when playing Mega Man?
3) What is a good solo daily practice routine for Mega Man? What are the techniques that I should practice constantly (separate between must-need practice techniques and situational ones that can be advantageous in some scenarios)?
4) Bad MUs by Mega Man professionals that I should be aware aside of the obvious ones (:4sheik::4fox::4mario:)?
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions. Btw, for fun, why do you guys main Mega Man? What is that you like about his character in Smash? I personally do like him, because I played his games and they're fun to play. Along with that, even though his natural doesn't come naturally to me as opposed to other fighters in the game, I really do like that he feels so different as opposed to the rest of the cast. I love his usage of items that can lead into flashy combos. That's just me.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
3) What is a good solo daily practice routine for Mega Man? What are the techniques that I should practice constantly (separate between must-need practice techniques and situational ones that can be advantageous in some scenarios)?
4) Bad MUs by Mega Man professionals that I should be aware aside of the obvious ones (:4sheik::4fox::4mario:)?
1. Patiently. Mega Man's neutral game is great because we pretty much win it for free. It is a low risk low reward neutral though. Lemons only do about 1.5% per shot after getting stale (and they'll get stale fast). Keep pestering them until you think you've found a hole in their attack/defense pattern and go for a bigger instance of damage.

2. Avoid using his smash attacks liberally. They're way too slow in either start up (fsmash and dsmash) or cooldown (all of them). Usmash is a frame 8 move which comes out really quick an is a good punish move if you're up close, but it still has a good amount of end lag. Avoid standing still as well. Mega Man's greatest strength is his air mobility and his ground mobility. Pair that with the fact that he can do all that while still shooting makes him hard to catch. Most of Mega Man's moves have a pretty severe amount of end lag though so avoid using descending aerials too (save for uair and nair). Fair, bair, and dair all have some pretty severe lag but can autocancel at certain heights.

3. Practice your short hopping and your pellet play. That's Mega Man's bread and butter. Avoid getting touched while piling on damage. Metal Blade techs (there's several of them) are crucial as well because that's where the majority of Mega Man's mix ups come from. Other than those, just movement in general. Super glide tossing is a really good thing to know. Pivot Fsmashes are useful on occasion. Rush Coil techniques are neat and are a good thing to have on your resume as well.

4. I'm still not a fan of the :4falcon: MU. Dude is just too fast and powerful. Other than the 3 you listed, not really. Keep an eye out for our new matchup thread. There's sure to be some good discussion in there.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
1. Patiently. Mega Man's neutral game is great because we pretty much win it for free. It is a low risk low reward neutral though. Lemons only do about 1.5% per shot after getting stale (and they'll get stale fast). Keep pestering them until you think you've found a hole in their attack/defense pattern and go for a bigger instance of damage.

2. Avoid using his smash attacks liberally. They're way too slow in either start up (fsmash and dsmash) or cooldown (all of them). Usmash is a frame 8 move which comes out really quick an is a good punish move if you're up close, but it still has a good amount of end lag. Avoid standing still as well. Mega Man's greatest strength is his air mobility and his ground mobility. Pair that with the fact that he can do all that while still shooting makes him hard to catch. Most of Mega Man's moves have a pretty severe amount of end lag though so avoid using descending aerials too (save for uair and nair). Fair, bair, and dair all have some pretty severe lag but can autocancel at certain heights.

3. Practice your short hopping and your pellet play. That's Mega Man's bread and butter. Avoid getting touched while piling on damage. Metal Blade techs (there's several of them) are crucial as well because that's where the majority of Mega Man's mix ups come from. Other than those, just movement in general. Super glide tossing is a really good thing to know. Pivot Fsmashes are useful on occasion. Rush Coil techniques are neat and are a good thing to have on your resume as well.

4. I'm still not a fan of the :4falcon: MU. Dude is just too fast and powerful. Other than the 3 you listed, not really. Keep an eye out for our new matchup thread. There's sure to be some good discussion in there.
Thank you so much. I appreciate the advice. Gonna take a while to master the character (probably the hardest character I'm ever gonna play competitively in my whole Smash career). Also, once I found an opening, should I go for a dash grab or is there a safer option to approach with Mega Man? Mega Man may have projectiles, but I don`t feel that his approach is as good as some other characters like Cloud...

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Grabs are a good way to get people off stage where you have your choice of gimp attempts from Leaf Shield > Footstool, Metal Blade drops, dair spikes, or bair/fair/nair pressure. So yeah, grabs are a really good option. Tossing a Metal Blade can usually help you secure that grab too.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that a metal blade in hand does more damage than throwing it with B, and can be thrown out of shield. You can also direct those B throws. Full hop into B-down or B-diagonaldown both set up into utilt kills, its a powerful kill confirm that is very safe to attempt, if your spacing is good.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hi guys,

I'm interested in learning Mega Man as my first official secondary for:4mario:. Basically, as a:4megaman:newcomer, I do have some questions that I want to know about:
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions. Btw, for fun, why do you guys main Mega Man? What is that you like about his character in Smash? I personally do like him, because I played his games and they're fun to play. Along with that, even though his natural doesn't come naturally to me as opposed to other fighters in the game, I really do like that he feels so different as opposed to the rest of the cast. I love his usage of items that can lead into flashy combos. That's just me.
1. The best way to play Mega Man, at least in my experience, is to be patient and move around a lot. Mega Man's air mobility is solid and while he's slow on the ground, it's not as bad as some make it out to be. Don't be afraid to pressure them out if they get in, but don't spend so much time in their face. Megs is a character that works best mid distance.

2. Mega Man's smash attacks have power, but the end lag is what can lead to a hard punish. F-Smash is pretty useful when combined with a perfect pivot, but don't use it too often. D-Smash should only be used as a hard punish if a shield is broken, and U-Smash is good for racking up damage. Avoid throwing these out at random. I also suggest not staying in one spot for too long since people can easily get past defenses like that.

3. I usually practice short hopping pellets and practice areas that I can improve on. For example, my edge guarding game is pretty weak, and I've been experimenting with new ways to spice that area up, such as Z-Drop Metal Blade into B-Air.

4. I'd also say that Meta Knight, Cloud, Captain Falcon, and Yoshi can cause Megs some problems, but they aren't as bad as the 3 previously mentioned characters (though I don't think Fox is THAT bad from my experience).

Megamang

Smash Lord
I agree with Mega-Spider, the best thing to practice is total efficacy of your projectile game, especially pellets. You should be able to approach shooting pellets, mix in a short hop at any point with the pellet salvo (this adds a nice hitbox to your buster gun, and hits them at a pretty rough angle), and be able to hop around shooting single pellets in every direction, especially backwards hops with pellets are useful for zoning and frustrating an opponent when you are in kill range. Mega is one of the best characters are stalling and racking up 'extra credit' when you are ahead with retreating pellets, since the opponent has to try and make it through all of them.

I find MK to be manageable but scary. For what its worth, MK doesn't have the best neutral game and we have an incredible one, so keeping him out is easier than the really tough MUs of shiek and CF.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Hey, i usually don't double post, but this is a new question and I wanted the thread to show up with a new post to get some discussion going.

Im adding a trigger-button jump to my controls... As of right now, its gonna be L, but I was wondering if anyone had any input or possible benefits of using R or Z? I'm thinking L just because I can use my left and right hand in tandem to use rising aerials and pellets, and it seems like this would be more intuitive for my brain to follow. Additionally, it seems like my right hand is more overloaded with buttons to press than my left hand, which only has the control stick and L shield, which I only use half the time.

I've also heard arguments for Z being more responsive, and only grabbing with R+A, but that seems extreme... and megaman grabs a lot, I'd hate to add shield frames on accident.

Thoughts?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey, i usually don't double post, but this is a new question and I wanted the thread to show up with a new post to get some discussion going.

Im adding a trigger-button jump to my controls... As of right now, its gonna be L, but I was wondering if anyone had any input or possible benefits of using R or Z? I'm thinking L just because I can use my left and right hand in tandem to use rising aerials and pellets, and it seems like this would be more intuitive for my brain to follow. Additionally, it seems like my right hand is more overloaded with buttons to press than my left hand, which only has the control stick and L shield, which I only use half the time.

I've also heard arguments for Z being more responsive, and only grabbing with R+A, but that seems extreme... and megaman grabs a lot, I'd hate to add shield frames on accident.

Thoughts?
Oooh, ooh! Something I've already spent some good time on considering! Ok, so I am a firm supporter of L for jump over R(and over Z as well, if you follow the guide I'll post at the end). Splitting up the functions so your hands are all able to respond instantly is better. Jump on R/Z means you have to mess with 2 different inputs for 1 hand in tandem. It's much easier to use L for jump as you have a firm grip with your thumb on the left stick etc, no real loss. On the right hand, it can move your hand enough to mess up your inputs a bit, but if you're shielding with R its not a big deal as you only need to hit A for grab at that point and not much else.

The benefit of Z is there is no spring, so you get a digital button, which could easily offset the benefits of jump being on your L button. Luckily there is a solution for this. Despringing your gamecube controller means digital shoulder buttons, which I personally recommend 110% and have been using since brawl. Unlike brawl however, you can't JUST remove the springs, as smash 4 triggers shield at a light press and not a full one. You need to have the controller changed so that it considers the full press to be a half press, which can be done following the guide below. I really recommend it, digital shoulder buttons just feel more responsive, especially for L for jump(which I use also). Hope this helps!

http://smashboards.com/threads/retired-de-spring-veteran-no-more-springless-smash-4-guide.379191/

Megamang

Smash Lord
Damn, I don't really want to solder my controller to have a better control scheme... I guess I might though. Thanks for the advice, im gonna see how it feels without the springs removed at first.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I believe Scatt is still out there doing work. Greward seems rather dismayed at the DLC.

I plan on representing Megaman/ZSS combo as soon as my skills are up to par, but I don't want to ruin the surprise factor without my Megaman being up to snuff. Also, I have some wrist problems from overuse (Why is LotV so good?!) so I'm kinda waiting a few days to get back into it.

Megaman was never a hugely popular character in tournament, I don't think there is much of a downward trend to speak of. For what its worth, I have seen more Megaman on the ladder in the last few weeks than ever before. I presume those people are trying to train tournament level megamen, since its odd to casual ladder. Though those people also exist, to each their own.

Sonic Mega also was on stream recently. The video thread is full of Megaman players repping him in Local Tournaments, often making the finals or at least near them.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
I tried her for a while. The megaman/Bayonetta team is one that is pretty scary on paper. She struggles, at least as far as we understand, with Ness, I've heard Luigi, and generally characters that can beat her in Neutral and keep up in other states, which makes me think Diddy. Mega handles all of those pretty well...

Of course, in that situation, you would be maining Bayonetta with a Megaman secondary, which would make me sad to see. That said, he should do whatever meets his goals, and if he wants pure success that might be the way to do it.

Or, he might just be using her for a Shiek secondary. While she isn't Shiek's worst MU, I think she has a lot of merit. She can out damage her per hit, kill her really early (the BnB is easy on someone light and big like shiek), escape from more than any other character since she has a f1 escape option, and with Witch Time in the mix the 50/50 becomes more like a game of RPS with bayonetta holding more cards, since her rewards are higher.

runonsentancesyay.

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
How much have people studied zdrop combos? Ive found a setup that can easily take 40% out of someone.

Works best on big characters like Rob, Rosalina, and the Big Three (DK DDD Bowser),

1. land an rar zdrop. You have to be very close so it lands on their back.
  2. Turn around (facing towards them as they are being hit by mb), then jump backwards while lgrabbing the mb back (if done right it wont touch the ground),
  3. zdrop a second time as they pop towards you,
  4. follup up with an aerial like bair or uair. (Depending on where u land the second zdrop they will pop towards or away from you)

I dont know how di affects this but it is a true combo.

In a perfect world where you land juicy 20% zdrops both times and get the uair, this could potentially go up to 60%!

This setup could be pretty safe:
Getting a mb in hand makes your opponent more defensive, allowing for mixups into rar zdrop regrab bair/uair or a just going in for the risky zdrop.
Rosa's gravity shouldnt be a problem because you are right in front of her anyway and can just hit her out of it.

Problems are:
Getting antiaired by oos.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Getting so close that a metal blade hits them towards you when zdropped is very, very hard to pull off against an opponent of equal and high skill.

I'd rather keep safe pressure in most situations, or use the metal blade to heavily pressure their shield.

They can also probably get out of the way for the second Z drop with slight SDI, as they will be trying to move away from the damage instinctually and probably input a few 'away' SDI's.

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
The combo in action:

This combo can actually be followed up in front of the opponent, though timing and percents vary.

Ive posted this on the mu thread, we can follow the crap out of a zdrop:

As you can see this combo can be milked for an obscene amount of damage, depending on character. Ive tested a few characters, and found that luigi will only get two unless they are at mid percents.

This could be broken in our favor but idk how sdi affects it.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I know the patch thread is closed here, but you fellas might want to check on MM's knockback for his F-smash, D-smash, Up-smash, and Up-tilt, because I believe those moves now kill far earlier than they used to.

Down Smash in particular seems to have seen the greatest increase to its base knockback.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure SDI will make that combo less effective, and its at is peak effectiveness against DK/Bowser/DDD anyways, but that is too much damage to pass up. By the time they realize they are being Zdropped like that you'll have hit 2 in a row for 30%, adding in a footstool might be a nice way to set them up for anything.. including our perhaps more powerful smashes?

I don't think more powerful smashes are what megaman needs to compete, perhaps a landing lag reduction on fair or a slight range increase would be amazing.

But still, the best megaman buffs we could hope for happened: Shiek nerfs! Needles are now a worse zoning tool, fair is significantly smaller, the throws are different... This could be a great day. Cloud's nerfs were rather insignificant IMO, but I guess we will see.

Megaman doesn't have any datamining players, or extreme lab rats who also have 2 setups, so we might have to wait a bit for the full scope of what happened. Testing if we have a kill throw, kill % for smashes, and even a range comparison on fair would be the best ways to start.

Or pellet range LOL. I can't see them doing anything to improve pellets, it would straight up destroy some of megaman's better MUs. He is already a polarizing archetype, fast zoning naturally shuts down the powerhouses without burst movement, so I don't expect zoning to get better.

Also, mewtwo getting scarier is... not great for us. Still, not a losing MU in my opinion, even though its really close. At least his reflector didn't get better!

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
I tested the zdrop combo on some mus we hate
The forward moving zdrop combo works on

Shiek: 0-70 does 25-32 damage (under 30 is an odd timing)
Mario: 0-110 highest 42, becomes a bair kill confirm near ledge AT 90!
Fox: 0-110 highest 42, becomes a bair kill confirm near ledge AT 72!!
(0-70 on fox seems to be an odd timing where an aerial tends not to followup.
Fox must be comboed differently than the others. Instead of waiting for the first mb to finish, you need to immediately grab zdrop)

Guys this could be our next big kill confirm.
With the rewards in damage and ko potential it brings, we need to pinpoint and practice its place in neutral.

As for sdi, that could kill the hype, but what we could do as a countermeasure is zdrop on their backs for the other combo so they have to switch sdi

I didnt test past 110 because at that point we dont really need to rack up damage. Zdrop to bair will kill at ledge at that point anyway.

This combo seems to work on all characters, lighter and smaller ones being harder to combo...
Except for pikachu.
He avoids the combo until he can be already killed by normal zdrop bair or the damage stays below 25

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
So patches are STILL coming! I thought it all ended with the update last month, but there's still some to come. I gotta give props to the team for this update, addressing Sheik's complete dominance and Samus' severe need of buffs. Still, we Mega Mains should get our fair share of buffs. I know we've been glossed over in many of the updates (beyond the updates that buffed Leaf Shield and a couple of our customs being upgraded), but seeing as how this update was the team's way of saying "Hey, there's still more stuff to do," maybe we can finally make it clear to them that we want some buffs. For me, the only significant buff that we should get is having less endlag on ALL our Smash attacks, especially F-Smash. That move could also see a increase in damage output as well, maybe from 11% -> 13/14%? Mega Man's balanced all things considered, and I'd rather have a balanced character that's satisfying to win with over someone that barely takes any time to learn and becomes boring to play. Still, Mega buffs plz?

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
An alternative buff to fsmash is that the move should travel the max distance regardless of charge. At the moment, if you use it up close, you do a small amount of damage for a Smash attack (11%?). Or you whiff the attack with little to no charge at a further range and suffer that bad end lag. At max range...well you shouldn't be using it in neutral at max range and it's too slow to be a good punish on most moves.

I tested the zdrop combo on some mus we hate
The forward moving zdrop combo works on... ... ...
I'll put a bit more work into this. Sounds good.

Last edited:

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Hey just a quick question:

I noticed megamans bair's slash claw graphics get vertically flipped depending on which side youre facing (blue comes out as the lowest slash on the left)

Does this affect megamans hitboxes at all?

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
I can't think of a single move that is effected by the direction you are facing, so I think it would be safe to assume it isn't.

But you might want to ask in the Game Mechanics thread (forget the exact name, its in the main competitive forum),

My question, after watching lots of Ninjalink's megaman from the recent video dump.. how safe is Uair on shield? I know back with shield lock frames it was safe, but I want to know now whether it is actually safe once it comes out, or just people are afraid of it/respecting it too much?

Top Bottom