• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Can someone give me a full list of the important uses of metal blades? I use this move a lot, but usually in ineffective ways other than zdrop edgeguards, to run in and grab, and occasionally fullhop MB into Utilt or grab. In general my mixup game needs work, and the Metal Blades are definitely the first weapon I want to refine myself with.

Also, does anyone have a tutorial showing how to do DICIT with your hands executing it. I learned the input but I only managed to do it two times, and I'm wondering if I input it too fast or too slowly.
If Megaman does the running throw animation, you're not getting the correct angle on your control stick when you press :GCB:

If Megaman does the standing throw animation (you can act out of it sooner) but you only slide a small distance, then you're not inputting the :GCA:+:GCB:->:GCUR: fast enough, but you've got the right angle.

There was a front page pacman video recently that actually has someone doing DITCIT with pacman, but the inputs are definitely there. I would check that out.

As for MB uses, you really do have to get creative. Here's a couple things I like to do with it

- If they like to jump alot, diagonal MBs and RAR full-hop Z-Drops work well
- Run off a platform and Z-Drop it immediately, the MB hides inside Megaman
- Leaf Shield and run up to someone who is shielding, then Z-Drop MB on them while hopping around with leaf shield for shield pressure.
- Run off a platform and B-Reverse horizontal/diag MB, this one catches people off guard fairly often
- Full-hop Z-Drop MB and hide behind it to give you more time to start up Leaf Shield
- Throwing the item MB downwards links into the same things Z-Drop MB does
- If you're about to throw a MB but your enemy is too close and you're about to get hit by them, try to throw it at your feet last second and start shielding. As soon as your enemy accidentally picks up the MB you mount a getaway.

Last edited:

Saltix

Smash Lord
I am about to begin reworking my Mega Man gameplay from the ground up. Sometimes I feel like I ought to play a different character, however I live in the same area and attend the same tournaments as Scatt so I know success with this character is possible. I just need to figure out what I'm doing differently than the rest of you guys winding up in GF and winning tournaments.

Given Mega Man's moveset, frame data, characteristics, etc. What would you guys say NEEDS to be done in order to achieve victory? Obviously, certain things will be more or less applicable in certain MUs, but I mean in a general sense.

For example, after watching Scatt play a set last night, as well as a few MM users videos, I feel like I'm pressing WAY more buttons in the neutral game than a lot of you. My reasoning beforehand for that was to "keep the pressure on", but now I'm realizing that by doing so, I am probably putting myself in a disadvantageous state by creating more possibilities for myself to get punished. So I'm thinking of going with a "less is more" mantra for a little bit, to see how it works.

So not to deviate from the original question: What would you say is necessary for victory with this character, and what are you guys who are getting results doing differently than other MM users?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
This post might be a little long, apologies.
Can someone give me a full list of the important uses of metal blades? I use this move a lot, but usually in ineffective ways other than zdrop edgeguards, to run in and grab, and occasionally fullhop MB into Utilt or grab. In general my mixup game needs work, and the Metal Blades are definitely the first weapon I want to refine myself with.

Also, does anyone have a tutorial showing how to do DICIT with your hands executing it. I learned the input but I only managed to do it two times, and I'm wondering if I input it too fast or too slowly.
Don't know if we have a list of proper ways to use MB, maybe Chopper Dave's guide?
But Dezmu has a video on DICIT with filmed execution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMwqkGxDRhU

The only thing to note, is that you don't need to return the stick to neutral as he says in the video, read some comments and you'll get the idea.

So, just stumbled into this:
Seems to be pretty useful, landing straight into utilt/usmash/grab could help us a lot, but in the example , at the 3:34 mark, what matters are the autocancel frames at the beggining of the move. In Greninja's case, he can do it easily with his fair since it cancels from frame 1 till 12, while with his bair the timing is way more strict.
So i went to Kurogane Hammer and checked it for Mega:
AERIALS.jpg

So essentially, since in all the aerials we could use for this have only a 1-3 frame window at the beggining, like Greninja's bair, is this another quirk that its pretty much useless for us?

Cause damn Sakurai, throw us a freakin' bone here :I

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
yea, just use nair lol. nair makes you land almost lagless, or lagless, and you dont have to time it

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Yes, just use nair, wich is as much of a commitment asany option you would get from this tech, is not safe on shield in case they run at you and put their shield up, and some attacks will also beat it.

Again, having the option to landing straight into utilt/usmash/grab whatever, alongside "just using nair" would be great.

You guys are kinda missing the point here :I

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Just so you know, Nair is actually safer on shield now if you hit at blank point, and if they shield a pellet, you can just jump away once you land.
I know being able to shield on landing is really cool, but the largest window we have is Frame 1->4, which is really small. If you want you can practice it, but being able to have a Frame 7 hitbox, as weak as it is, is always good.

P.S: What comes first ? The Buster Shot or the Cannon Hitbox ?

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Just so you know, Nair is actually safer on shield now if you hit at blank point, and if they shield a pellet, you can just jump away once you land.
I know being able to shield on landing is really cool, but the largest window we have is Frame 1->4, which is really small. If you want you can practice it, but being able to have a Frame 7 hitbox, as weak as it is, is always good.

P.S: What comes first ? The Buster Shot or the Cannon Hitbox ?
My point os exactly that it sucks we cant use this cause The window for mega os so small XD

But thats a good question... Which one comes out first?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
...Thinking about it twice, Out of Tumble UTilt / Grab sounds really nice. Another hard tech to use I guess...

Edit : After wasting my time in training mode on Mario while spamming Franklin Badges, I ended up concluding that Buster shots come out after the actual Buster hitbox, funnily enough.
One good thing done.:seuss:

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
@Rocket52

sh Bair can be safe on shield if spaced right. It has quite a bit of range actually. You have to time moving towards with moving away quite accurately for it to work.

Don't fast fall it or the last hit (the one with knock back) usually doesn't connect.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
...Thinking about it twice, Out of Tumble UTilt / Grab sounds really nice. Another hard tech to use I guess...

Edit : After wasting my time in training mode on Mario while spamming Franklin Badges, I ended up concluding that Buster shots come out after the actual Buster hitbox, funnily enough.
One good thing done.:seuss:
LOL, as expected of Sakurai :)

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I'm
I am about to begin reworking my Mega Man gameplay from the ground up. Sometimes I feel like I ought to play a different character, however I live in the same area and attend the same tournaments as Scatt so I know success with this character is possible. I just need to figure out what I'm doing differently than the rest of you guys winding up in GF and winning tournaments.

Given Mega Man's moveset, frame data, characteristics, etc. What would you guys say NEEDS to be done in order to achieve victory? Obviously, certain things will be more or less applicable in certain MUs, but I mean in a general sense.

For example, after watching Scatt play a set last night, as well as a few MM users videos, I feel like I'm pressing WAY more buttons in the neutral game than a lot of you. My reasoning beforehand for that was to "keep the pressure on", but now I'm realizing that by doing so, I am probably putting myself in a disadvantageous state by creating more possibilities for myself to get punished. So I'm thinking of going with a "less is more" mantra for a little bit, to see how it works.

So not to deviate from the original question: What would you say is necessary for victory with this character, and what are you guys who are getting results doing differently than other MM users?
Im in the same boat as you. I play a very technical game, and am constantly jumping and combining lemon, MB, leaf shield, and rush techs to keep pressure. There really is a rhythm to how I play. People have told me its really fun to watch, but my results aren't great. I think you're right less is more. Keep game in neutral, be unpredictable, and force opponent into options you can be ready to punish. I've started doing that super slow walk pellet pressure scatt uses, and I find it a great way to force mistakes.

But at the end of the day, I'm not going to change my playstyle. I just enjoy it too much. If I tried to emulate someone else, I think I would lose interest in developing my game.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
The only problem with getting into a rythym is not focusing on what your opponent is doing. Also being in a rythym means you are being repetitive which means the opponent will start to read and punish you.

I've had a lot of trouble doing this as well it is a hard cycle to break.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think I'm hitting a plateau with mega man and am thinking about picking up a secondary, but not because I don't want mega man to be my only character.

I think I'm having trouble with some matchup a because my melee/shielding skills are sub par. Usually as mega man you don't have to do asmuch in your face combat or power shielding.

I think I'm going to play a lot with a secondary like Mario so I can get more used to these techniques like approaching.

What do you all think?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Anyone else having trouble against Cloud? Obviously I haven't faced him that many times yet... but given that people are just learning him it seems difficult.

Saltix

Smash Lord
I think I'm hitting a plateau with mega man and am thinking about picking up a secondary, but not because I don't want mega man to be my only character.

I think I'm having trouble with some matchup a because my melee/shielding skills are sub par. Usually as mega man you don't have to do asmuch in your face combat or power shielding.

I think I'm going to play a lot with a secondary like Mario so I can get more used to these techniques like approaching.

What do you all think?
I've recently been puttng time into Lucario, Rosalina, Luigi, and Cloud just to see the game through their eyes. They play the game differently than MM, and by learning their "game" you can usually find something to bring back home to MM. I support the decision.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Playing a secondary against your main can give you great perspective on what works due to inexperience vs what is legitimately hard to deal with, as well as what to avoid effectively.

With a roster this large and relatively balanced and patched, more mu knowledge can never be bad. For practicality in tournaments purpose vs time spent, starting top down through the roster is probably best, with an emphasis on tough MUs.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Not against mega man. Against anyone to get better at other skills. So when you do need to use them as mega your better

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Anyone else having trouble against Cloud? Obviously I haven't faced him that many times yet... but given that people are just learning him it seems difficult.
Just played a friend with him online. Played only for 1 hour, he has been practicing cloud since the day he was released.
Doesn't seem as bad as i thought.

His default projectile is pretty meh, pellets stop it, thrown LS just plows trough it, but even when its spinning around you, the leaves can stop it as well(not always).

He can kill ridiculously early, his jab seems very good too. His recovery seems pretty bad. Not Little Mac tier, but a Cloud without a jump and without his limit break off-stage, seems pretty dead, even hitting dair on him is very easy as well.
I know that he can do some stuff like jump, airdodge into the stage and use his down B to negate the landing lag, anyone out there knows if LS stops him from doing that?

Some of his aerials autocancel wich can get problematic, but honestly, just keep moving and doing your Megaman thing.

Try to play more keep away, get him off stage and give him hell once you do. I heard he also doesn't get anything out of his throws, and his finishing touch also doesn't goes through shields like the KO punch, so shielding is not too bad.

This are all just my first impressions, and its way too early to say if we beat/lose to him.

Last edited:

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
Just played a friend with him online. Played only for 1 hour, he has been practicing cloud since the day he was released.
Doesn't seem as bad as i thought.

His default projectile is pretty meh, pellets stop it, thrown LS just plows trough it, but even when its spinning around you, the leaves can stop it as well(not always).

He can kill ridiculously early, his jab seems very good too. His recovery seems pretty bad. Not Little Mac tier, but a Cloud without a jump and without his limit break off-stage, seems pretty dead, even hitting dair on him is very easy as well.
I know that he can do some stuff like jump, airdodge into the stage and use his down B to negate the landing lag, anyone out there knows if LS stops him from doing that?

Some of his aerials autocancel wich can get problematic, but honestly, just keep moving and doing your Megaman thing.

Try to play more keep away, get him off stage and give him hell once you do. I heard he also doesn't get anything out of his throws, and his finishing touch also doesn't goes through shields like the KO punch, so shielding is not too bad.

This are all just my first impressions, and its way too early to say if we beat/lose to him.
Another thing that surprised me was the fact that finishing touch doesn´t have super armor when on startup, that means a few lemons will cancel the attack on hit. I believe he should be played pretty much like the shulk MU

BTW does our dtilt beat his?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Another thing that surprised me was the fact that finishing touch doesn´t have super armor when on startup, that means a few lemons will cancel the attack on hit. I believe he should be played pretty much like the shulk MU

BTW does our dtilt beat his?
LS also interrupted one Finishing Touch in our matches. Still, don't just go running into him tho XD

And i don't know about dtilt... will have to test it next time.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
LS also interrupted one Finishing Touch in our matches. Still, don't just go running into him tho XD

And i don't know about dtilt... will have to test it next time.
Down tilt 6% (early), 7% (late) A ground-hugging forwards slide, similar to Mega Man's down tilt. Deals slightly more damage if it connects after the first few frames. Very quick startup and sends Cloud a good distance forward while keeping his hitbox small, making it useful as a quick and weak punish.
-SmashWiki

Well, it seems cloud's version gets stronger on the late hitbox, rather than the first frames, like ours. So basically he'll win on the late hit but if he slides and you counter with a sweetpot dtilt then we get the hit

Megamang

Smash Lord
Worth noting is that against characters with ****ty recovery and throws, back to the ledge shielding isnt as dangerous as usual. Its actually pretty terrifying for them considering rocks bthrow and aerials.

The difference between cloud and mac is that charging limit break forces your approach. Again, push him to the ledge if he starts playing the slow game. Cloud is like luigi/ganon, it seems like in the future that they will be flowcharted to death offstage with relative ease.

Move clanking is determined by a 9% difference if hitboxes overlap. It seems there is more to it due to hitboxes/timing/spacing/etc with these dtilts, but i dont think its a more damage wins situation.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Am going to start updating the OPs of some of the threads, could anyone give me a list of some notable mains beyond scAtt77? If they have YT or Twitch channels I'd also like to try and promote them in the video thread.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
Am going to start updating the OPs of some of the threads, could anyone give me a list of some notable mains beyond scAtt77? If they have YT or Twitch channels I'd also like to try and promote them in the video thread.
I'm tempted to say styles, but usually he only uploads videos based on highlights and funny/ random stuff that happens from time to time (unless streaming with subscribers and such).

I think both Zucco and NinjaLink have youtube channels tho

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Greward Greward , i don't know if he has a youtube channel.

I also heard that NGA is a good japanese mega, but i never got to research videos of him so there is that.

SSguy also places relatively well in his region, i believe.

Skailler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skailler
What is your recommended controller setup for Mega? I have been running L for Jumping, X and Y for Grab, Tap Jump Off and everything else default ever since Brawl came out (GC Controller) and I feel like its not that optimal for Mega. Ive considered switching L and X/Y, but Im not too sure. Ive also played around a bit with C Stick for attacks as Megas Smashes arent that great, but Ive never felt more uncomfortable in Smash in my whole live. Is that just me not being used to it or is it really just not that viable?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Have to say i've been wondering myself what everyone else uses for their controllers setups.
I can't really answer here since i don't use a GC controller.

So since i don't want to ressurect the secondary thread, i'm thinking of giving ZSS a shot. On their thread i've been told she fares well again Fox, Mario, Yoshi, and if we are being honest she is one of the few i can think that don't lose too badly against Sheik.

They also told me she is kinda hard to play tho, what do you guys think?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Looking for a secondary myself lol (sadly, Greninja isn't cutting it: helps with Mario but Sheik is still too much for him). ZSS was at one point a choice of mine and I asked the same thing, and most have told me that while she's not necessarily easy to use, she requires general fundamentals more than anything and that she's not as technical as say, Rosalina or Meta Knight. I could see her being a fine secondary if you're willing to put in the work, and personally right now I'm looking to see if Pit/Dark Pit would work and I'll maybe get back to her if they don't. I'm crossing my fingers that Corrin can hold is own aganst Sheik......

I don't know why Yoshi should be an issue for Mega Man though, I would've agreed if you said :4falcon: instead. Yoshi is annoying if you don't know the MU, but from my experience playing other Yoshis where I come from, he's just not that threatening imo. I am told he benefits from lag online though (mostly because of his Fair), maybe that's the problem you're having?

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Yeah, actually as far as i know, we only have one Yoshi in my region, who is also one of our best players.
I fought him once in a tournament and a lot of times in friendlies, and i always get bodied.
I think The problem is actually The player more than the MU, but still, i feel like he just runs a train on me and i cant stop him.

Baconator

Smash Rookie
Do I need to have A+B set to Smash Attack to be able to SGTF(Super Glide Toss Forwards) on GC controller?

quepasacontigo

Smash Rookie
I got a question for you guys. When you have your opponent in front of you open for a free non-smash (too slow) punish, what is the most effective?

1. For dealing the most damage
a. Low percent
b. Mid percent
c. High percent (well maybe kill option is best here)

2. For knockback

I'm imaging a situation like this comes up like when you successfully spot dodge something. For low and mid percent I almost always go for
grab > d-throw > fair > pellets, simply because it's the safest way i have to get damage in.
Sometimes i mix it up with
grab> d-throw > bait out air dodge > upair > etc, but its harder to get.

Another possibility for me is to ftilt into nair and hope for a tumble and tech chase or lemon lock (not quite sure what %, maybe 30-50 something?).

For knockback i can only think of utilt.

I do feel i do these a lot and hope for more options to broaden my play.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well, it is a bit late, but I realized something after watching this (Thanks Beefy Smash Doods) :

There can be only 9 moves stored in the Staleness Queue, which means that we can easily refresh our kill moves by using Lemons, Leaf Shield, Pummels and Throws.
My only question concerns FTilt/NAir/Jab. Do they actually count as different moves ? It really is interesting. I mean, we can unstale Utilt in a blink XD

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I remember greward mentioning something like that when discussing bthrow, since that even if we overuse it, by the time it actually gets the kill, it would no longer be stale since we are constantly tossing out projectiles.

But yeah, thats interesting, how do we test if jab/ftilt/nair count as different moves ?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
For those who have experience in the Cloud match up, I want to know what you guys think about it. I came across a decent number of Clouds on For Glory yesterday, and it seems like this is an even match up. This could be me not knowing the match up too well (Zelda used to give me trouble until I figured out how to handle her), but the Cloud's I ran into last night were pretty good. The MM v Cloud match up feels like a more aggressive version of the Link match up: Cloud has good stage control and jab to keep him away from MM, but in the air, despite Cloud having better ariel attacks than Link, is still helpless compared to MM's good air mobility. Not to mention, we murder Cloud off stage. Not bad for quite possibly the strangest inclusion of the Smash 4 roster. Keep in mind that this is my early impressions, so my outlook might change in the future. So far, 50/50 set.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Funny enough, I've been counter picked on smashladder with cloud a lot. I think its 55:45 in megas favor. Clouds recovery is stupid easy to leafstool. Or really anything works.
Lemons eat blade beams
Lemons can stop him mid limitbreak
Uairs destroy him, he's a very good weight class for landing double Uairs and most clouds just have that urge to SH Nair way too often

But in the right hands, a good cloud will juggle the **** out of you. Thata probably the main thing to be worried about. Which is why I think it's 55:45 instead of 60:40

Last edited:
Top Bottom