• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I'm not the only one who wishes Mega Man could be high tier, right? I'm sick of people saying that he sucks when he's clearly better than a good deal of the roster. People just don't know how to use him and when they use him, they use him poorly.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Lylat is difficult for Mega. The tilting stage often eats his straight firing projectiles. However, if you're comfortable with it, the stage could be picked as a good counter against other projectile characters! I once picked it as a counter to a great Yoshi on the ladder and I was able to beat him!!
Can't he still benefit from Uair due to the platforms?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
For sure! But, many Megas would argue that it's tiltyness shenanigans outweigh the benefits covered Uairs gives us.

During some friendlies at Smash Con, I had a Utilt starting on the main stage autocancel when I landed on the left platform, probably due to the stage tilting favorably? We should test this, if it isn't known already! :)

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
For sure! But, many Megas would argue that it's tiltyness shenanigans outweigh the benefits covered Uairs gives us.

During some friendlies at Smash Con, I had a Utilt starting on the main stage autocancel when I landed on the left platform, probably due to the stage tilting favorably? We should test this, if it isn't known already! :)
You mean you did a Utilt on the stage near the left plataform, then when you did it the stage tilted to the left and you landed on said plataform ??

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Yep, I started the Utilt under the left platform and landed perfectly on the platform autocanceling the attack. I was shocked. I'll play around with it later to see if I can recreate it. :)

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Um I was MAYBE considering on practicing MM
I like characters who have decent grab games, can rack up damage, and has somewhat basic attacks or something.....he seems like a very good zoning character who can rack up damage from midrange even if he has like no combos.
I main Kirby,Peach,Zelda Secondary Villager, Tink, and Ness
Is he tough to use? I don't want to have to use someone very difficult to play.
Which ariels autocancel?
What should I do if my opponent shields a lot?
Does he have kill setups?
Which moves do you generally use the least?
Are there any AT he has that were a MUST when playing the character?

Any tips would be helpful please.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I like characters who have decent grab games, can rack up damage, and has somewhat basic attacks or something.....he seems like a very good zoning character who can rack up damage from midrange even if he has like no combos.
Which ariels autocancel?

Well, he is a good zoning character, but his damage output is very weak. As far as aerials go, i think the only ones that auto cancel are uair out of a full hop, and short hop> double jump> dair.

I wouldn't say he is tough to use as in "very technical", like Ryu, for instance. But you will need a lot of patience to play him, the only kill set ups he has are very situational, and he has pratically no combos or reliable close combat options, so you will be making a lot of reads and getting juggled a lot.

Least used moves are definitely Dsmash(good for kills but way to laggy to be used safely), Fsmash, dash attack and dtilt.

We actually have a list of techniques and tricks, always good to learn a few of them: http://smashboards.com/threads/list-of-mega-mans-techniques-and-tricks.394846/

And while the above is mostly my opinion, you can check some others in this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/truth-to-be-told-megaman-pros-and-cons.411110/

Saltix

Smash Lord
I was going to take this to the Competitive Wii U forum, but I figure I'd stop by here first. Ive never really utilized training mode (in any smash game for what it's worth) outside of practicing movement and pellets, but whats the most optimal way to utilize training mode in this game?

I want to test strings and such but don't want to jump into it blind. Do I test on different weight classes? Fast fallers/floaties all the same? Whats the most efficient way of testing what works at what %s?

Last edited:

Rocket52

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rocket52
3DS FC
2664-2303-0107
Sorry if this has been asked before, but whats the best way to open someone up for a kill move?
The only ones that immediately come to mind are diagonal MB into u-tilt, or MB-> grab + follow up..
Or just punishing with shield into grab or upsmash

Last edited:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has been asked before, but whats the best way to open someone up for a kill move?
The only ones that immediately come to mind are diagonal MB into u-tilt, or MB-> grab + follow up..
Or just punishing with shield into grab or upsmash
He has tons of situational kills. I recently put tilts on cstick, and I have found landing uptilts just in general much more common. You can do utilt from a lemon lock, or right after leaf shield expires if they get in hitstun from the last leaf.

Lately I've been getting a bunch of item thrown metal blades downwards into back air follow ups. I used to be all about zdropping, but am now found of the speed of a down thrown blade.

Another nice setup is item throw down metal blade, predict where they will go and use up air. It's pretty safe because they usually are busy dealing with the blade, so can't punish a missed upair.

Rush tricks into up airs I think is the new FOTM tho

Last edited:

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
The dumbest questions are the unasked ones so....

Does Utilt have invincibility on startup? I'm trying to figure out if I should use utilt more or dsmash when punishing out of shield (both are high risk-high reward actions, but I like gambling).

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
The dumbest questions are the unasked ones so....

Does Utilt have invincibility on startup? I'm trying to figure out if I should use utilt more or dsmash when punishing out of shield (both are high risk-high reward actions, but I like gambling).
Megaman:4megaman:: uptilt (frames 5-8; hitbox starts at frame 6), upB (frames 6-11; first few frames after he jumps off of rushcoil)
Taken from this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/invincibility-and-armor-list.371822/

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

Which ariels autocancel?

Hold up plz, stop right there. With all due respect, I am honestly going to have to recommend against practicing MM when you're already playing like 6 characters. Yes, Mega Man is tough to use, his learning curve is high to very high and it takes tons of work and dedication to get good with him, easily among top 10 hardest imo and one of the weirdest characters to get used to. If you plan to get rid of 5/6 of those characters you mentioned and spend a lot of time playing Mega Man, then its worth it. Otherwise, its just not. Also, his damage output isn't that good, its quite weak actually. He's a low risk, low reward character who deals little to no damage in neutral and has mediocre combo setups, although his neutral is still fantastic nonetheless, among the top 10 best in the game probably.

Actually, unless you're a casual player who never plays in tournaments, I would try to cut down my character list anyway if I were you. When playing competitively, trying to learn multiple characters hurts you in the long term run and is likely to be severely detrimental to you, especially beyond locals. You can only practice one character at a time, and trying hard to learn your pocket characters can cut away time to practice with your actual main and leave yourself undercooked. Decent with many characters, master of none, and you're gonna have a hard time winning against those who are. Imo if you play seriously, I'd recommend 3 at most. Cause there's gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooot of MUs to learn otherwise, and its not fun. If you're good, you don't even need anything more than a secondary and you can live without anymore, and if your character is good you don't even need any backup characters to begin with. Its your choice though, thought this would be something to keep in mind.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Hold up plz, stop right there. With all due respect, I am honestly going to have to recommend against practicing MM when you're already playing like 6 characters. Yes, Mega Man is tough to use, his learning curve is high to very high and it takes tons of work and dedication to get good with him, easily among top 10 hardest imo and one of the weirdest characters to get used to. If you plan to get rid of 5/6 of those characters you mentioned and spend a lot of time playing Mega Man, then its worth it. Otherwise, its just not. Also, his damage output isn't that good, its quite weak actually. He's a low risk, low reward character who deals little to no damage in neutral and has mediocre combo setups, although his neutral is still fantastic nonetheless, among the top 10 best in the game probably.

Actually, unless you're a casual player who never plays in tournaments, I would try to cut down my character list anyway if I were you. When playing competitively, trying to learn multiple characters hurts you in the long term run and is likely to be severely detrimental to you, especially beyond locals. You can only practice one character at a time, and trying hard to learn your pocket characters can cut away time to practice with your actual main and leave yourself undercooked. Decent with many characters, master of none, and you're gonna have a hard time winning against those who are. Imo if you play seriously, I'd recommend 3 at most. Cause there's gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooot of MUs to learn otherwise, and its not fun. If you're good, you don't even need anything more than a secondary and you can live without anymore, and if your character is good you don't even need any backup characters to begin with. Its your choice though, thought this would be something to keep in mind.
You know what, you have an extremely valid point, after a while I did think that playing this many characters was actually starting to hurt me more then help.
I am just a normal FG player, but maybe in a few years I may actually be able to go to tournaments..... but yea after a while(when I started mainin Ness, I wasn't playing my other characters who I played most(Peach,Kirby,Zelda) as often as I did, and yea, it felt a little weird when I did a few times.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to keep practicing my true mains first, its going to be tough to decide, but I will find out who I can play best eventually.

Once again, thanks

IIWaveII

Smash Rookie
This may have been asked already, but would there happen to be a mega man skype group? I've been looking for one endlessly. hopefully somebody knows about one and can add me in. It'd be greatly appreciated.

Jaysonfire

Smash Rookie
How valid is double megaman for doubles? I am going to enter doubles with another megaman main and even though I know it will be hella fun I'm also thinking how legit this setup is?

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
With team attack on, mega man seems below average in doubles in my experience. His damage out put is low, and it is hard to zone well without hitting teammate (especially with metal blades). You can do very well in a match, but lose horribly if partner doesn't do great. It seems like you are very reliant on how partner does (hard to carry the team). Maybe with the right team setup he can be good, since you can definitely be a stock tank with him.

I've been looking for awhile for a secondary for doubles, but I just can't find a character I like nearly as much as MM.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Just start at the 15:36 mark.

From my experience, Mega Man is more of a support character in doubles because of his wide array of projectiles.
  • Angled Metal Blades do wonders, Crash Bomb is unpractical as ever but can lead to some neat disruption and comboes (be careful because it works for AND against both teams), Leaf Shield can potentially help allies in distress and Rush is nearly useless.
  • The Mega Buster in general is a great move, but you can use lemons to cripple an opponent and let your ally hit him or grab him, and they can also EAT YOUR ALLY'S MOVES' ENLDAG (Remember how people jabbed Jiggs in Melee to wake her up after a Rest ? They do the same thing.) You can also use the cannon's hitbox to push opponents closer or away from your ally.
  • Slide and Top Spin are alright, but you must make sure to not hit your ally with them, or else you'll lose Stage Control.
  • Mega Man's Kill moves are forbidden. I mean, you want to kill your opponnent ASAP in a 1v1 situation, but in a Team Battle, you can easily kill your ally instead. So it's a no-go near your ally. Don't use any Crarge shots, Spark Shocks, Flame Blasts and Slash Claws close to him/her, for their range might be the call of Death.
  • Flame Sword is alright as usual, Hard Knuckle can be useful and Air Shooter sets-up juggles.
  • Mega Man already has a good Grab game, but you won't be able to reliably follow-up on any of them. Combo only if you are already correctly positionned. DThrow might be easier to combo out of, through...

Hope that helps :p

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Is there any reason Mega Man's usage and viability dropped significantly? Before patch 1.0.6, many people were calling him a top 10 character and he had a good amount of representation, but now, virtually no representation of the character exist.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Is there any reason Mega Man's usage and viability dropped significantly? Before patch 1.0.6, many people were calling him a top 10 character and he had a good amount of representation, but now, virtually no representation of the character exist.
As some people pointed out before, as time passed, players got used to fighting Megaman and exploiting his weakness, add to that that it always was tough to win with him at high level to begin with, and while he managed to get away without any nerfs so far, he didn't got any buffs either, while some characters got some really nice tools from the balance patches patches.

Redline!

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zagreus
3DS FC
0430-8347-8382
How does one go about best setting up Lemon Lock/Utilt combo? I know that when/if a player misses a ground tech, Megaman can use his Ftilt lemon 3 times while walking towards them to set up for a Uptilt confirm, but Megaman has so few moves that reliably knock players in such a way as to prompt a tech opportunity on the ground. I know Slash Claw can sometimes set it up but it's awkward and unreliable and only "works" once before your opponent gets wise.

Is there something I'm missing?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I did a little poll on what buffs Mega Man should get in a Smash Bros section of Google +. Hey, don't judge me if I use Google +, okay?
https://plus.google.com/113929600494025903749/posts/Wij9LAds7Yx
What is the one buff you want to see given to Rock of these. I want all of these obviously, but if you had to pick one, which one would it be? For me, it'd be giving his moves less ending lag.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Less endlag on some of his smashes(looking at you flameblast) would be good but less endlag on everything might be a little too much. If we could throw out utilts as safely as Mario throws out usmashes, Megaman would be venturing into broken territory.

I would vote for either damage input increase, or an option i didn't saw there; more kill power on his smashes. Cause honestly, dsmash doesn't kill that early when uncharged, and usmash will not bring home the bacon till way too high percents, even with rage. Considering the opponent has time to check his facebook and then punish us if we miss either one of those, it would be fair enough.

Edit:
How does one go about best setting up Lemon Lock/Utilt combo? I know that when/if a player misses a ground tech, Megaman can use his Ftilt lemon 3 times while walking towards them to set up for a Uptilt confirm, but Megaman has so few moves that reliably knock players in such a way as to prompt a tech opportunity on the ground. I know Slash Claw can sometimes set it up but it's awkward and unreliable and only "works" once before your opponent gets wise.

Is there something I'm missing?
Not so sure on the best way to do it, can't reall think of any outside of ocasional thrown MB, but it's very situational. There is this quote from another player about situations you can get from item thrown MB:

Metal Blade hits!
Not Safe/Kill:
1. No tech, jab lock into kill.
2. Neutral tech, shoryuken punish.
3. Falling attack, shield into shoryuken punish.

Potentially unsafe:
1. Tech roll into Megaman or corner, shoryuken punish.
2. Tech roll read, usmash or throw punish.

Usually safe:
1. Jump out of hit stun, higher percents only.
2. Tech roll into open space, usually safe.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Less endlag on some of his smashes(looking at you flameblast) would be good but less endlag on everything might be a little too much. If we could throw out utilts as safely as Mario throws out usmashes, Megaman would be venturing into broken territory.

I would vote for either damage input increase, or an option i didn't saw there; more kill power on his smashes. Cause honestly, dsmash doesn't kill that early when uncharged, and usmash will not bring home the bacon till way too high percents, even with rage. Considering the opponent has time to check his facebook and then punish us if we miss either one of those, it would be fair enough.
I didn't think of that option. Still, do you think Megs would get buffs other than Leaf Shield? I want the balance team to see that he needs more stuff to make him more of a threat.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I didn't think of that option. Still, do you think Megs would get buffs other than Leaf Shield? I want the balance team to see that he needs more stuff to make him more of a threat.
I think we should not hold our breaths.

I have no idea what the balance team thinks while doing their job (the buff i shall laugh at till the end of my days: slightly higher hp for Luma!) so there is always a chance for him to get nerfed for no apparent reason.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I think we should not hold our breaths.

I have no idea what the balance team thinks while doing their job (the buff i shall laugh at till the end of my days: slightly higher hp for Luma!) so there is always a chance for him to get nerfed for no apparent reason.
I know we shouldn't hold our breaths, but I'm still annoyed that characters like DK and Charizard get some new fancy buffs, while all we get is an upgraded Leaf Shield, which is nice, but we need more than that. We need less laggy moves and higher damage output. I'm sure there are people that want to see Megs buffed, right?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I know we shouldn't hold our breaths, but I'm still annoyed that characters like DK and Charizard get some new fancy buffs, while all we get is an upgraded Leaf Shield, which is nice, but we need more than that. We need less laggy moves and higher damage output. I'm sure there are people that want to see Megs buffed, right?
Yeah, it annoys me as well, is not like i don't want some buffs, is just that i am really not expecting them at this point.
They buffing Zard and DK actually makes me a little more optimistic, since those were baby steps in the right direction, buffing underused, considered "weak" characters.

NeonViridian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkknightstar
3DS FC
3282-5023-4419
okay, I don't know if someone has asked this question yet, but what should I be practicing in order to improve my Megaman.
I just started and I want to up my game on him. Also would anyone like to add me on N Network to spar?

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
okay, I don't know if someone has asked this question yet, but what should I be practicing in order to improve my Megaman.
I just started and I want to up my game on him. Also would anyone like to add me on N Network to spar?
I would definately say short hopping lemons, all day long, every day, until you can do it in your sleep. Practice retreating ones, advancing ones, 1, 2, 3, and all kinds of them.

Robi-Wan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Freed0m8
I'll play you NeonViridian! I've just started playing Mega Man as well! NNID: Freed0m8 Zero not an O. We can use Discord to chat while we play! Text or voice. Skype isn't working for me. There is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside it beside my chat window which doesn't allow me to chat. At least in most groups. I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it. Discord is a good alternative. Here is the link.
https://discordapp.com/

Let me know! *In Mega Man's voice from Captain N* Mega Bye!

NeonViridian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkknightstar
3DS FC
3282-5023-4419
I'll play you NeonViridian! I've just started playing Mega Man as well! NNID: Freed0m8 Zero not an O. We can use Discord to chat while we play! Text or voice. Skype isn't working for me. There is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside it beside my chat window which doesn't allow me to chat. At least in most groups. I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it. Discord is a good alternative. Here is the link.
https://discordapp.com/

Let me know! *In Mega Man's voice from Captain N* Mega Bye!
Thank you so much! and I don't mind doing Voice. thanks for the app
I'll add you as soon as possible and install said app : )

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Check out @M78Anne's Tweet: https://twitter.com/M78Anne/status/651041080054562816?s=01

I found this on Twitter and it begs to ask, what are Mega's shield lock to shield break capabilities? Does dropping a MB cause shield lock? Does throwing an item cause better/worse shield lock? Is the lock enough to do what's shown? What about following up a shield lock with a Dsmash?

...Should this topic be its own thread? It obviously needs to be explored!

Edit: OK, I just tested it, dropping MB in this manner does cause shield lock. No idea how many frames, but it does.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So, customs: what is the right/safe way to use Beat?
We will have the first custom tournament in my area, and i am thinking of going there. Not sure since we also have a big event in november, so i would rather focus practicing my gameplay rather than practicing customs, but i am considering it.

Also on that matter: big tournament next month, for now i am practicing my movement(short hops, fast fall, SH pellets etc), what else could i practice and how? My most problematic MU's right now are Mario, Fox, and maybe Rob (though in his case, is usually me being unable to take the final stock, i like this MU but i always get to last-stock-high percent-each situation and i lose).

NeonViridian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkknightstar
3DS FC
3282-5023-4419
Check out @M78Anne's Tweet: https://twitter.com/M78Anne/status/651041080054562816?s=01

I found this on Twitter and it begs to ask, what are Mega's shield lock to shield break capabilities? Does dropping a MB cause shield lock? Does throwing an item cause better/worse shield lock? Is the lock enough to do what's shown? What about following up a shield lock with a Dsmash?

...Should this topic be its own thread? It obviously needs to be explored!

Edit: OK, I just tested it, dropping MB in this manner does cause shield lock. No idea how many frames, but it does.
You should try to go into training mode and slow it down frame by frame.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Yep! I tried that. From what I can tell, the MB dropping does shield lock, but not long enough for Utilt to be a true combo. But, I'd like others, if interested, to try this too as I am not experienced in counting frames.

Top Bottom